Renewale - 2012 Porter - Ninkasi Brewing Company

good

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Docer on 12-25-2011)
Reviews by MaltsOfGlory:
3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

An extremely smooth, and somewhat aggressive pout yields a nice big one and a quarter finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is somewhat fluffy and pillowy, but I don't know if i would call it creamy looking. About half small bubbles, and half medium sized bubbles, which is a little surprising, but it's not the end of the world. The head is light brown in color, not too dark, or too light, nice light brown. Head retention isn't bad, I still have about half of the head left. The lacing looks like it will be phenomenal, but we will have to see for sure as I get down the glass. The body is interesting, because it is for sure pitch black. However you can make out some hughes of brown and perhaps even ruby when you hold it up to the light, it is EXTREMELY faint though, and hard to detect. Visibility through the beer is zero. I can't see any carbonation due to the color. Overall it's got a nice looking body and a nice looking head, what more can you ask for? We will see how the lacing goes but this is a darn good looking beer so far. When I first poured the beer into a glass the smell was just incredible, the malts flew out of the glass at me. Since then however it's become more of an average micro brew. Not a bad thing, but not as amazing as it had smelled. Very roasty on the nose, a little sour, probably from the hops. Slightly sweet smelling, maybe a little bit of chocolate. Overall there really isn't a lot to write home about, it's a quality smelling brew, but seriously lacking creativity. It smells like a billion other porters I have had. I'll give it a 4 because it smells good, but that is a little bit generous, for it's serious lack of creativity it could get a 3.5. Well it's a nice beer, but I can say I for sure wont be cutting it any breaks for a 4 instead of a 3.5 for taste. You get a chocolatey, malty taste up front. That is followed by a slightly sour, maybe a tiiiiny bit bitter, hop taste. Frankly the taste is a little watery, it has components that remind me of carbonated water. The lack of flavor mixed with carbonated H2O generally is what reminds me of it. Really there just isn't a whole lot going on here at all. The creativity is not there at all, and the flavor is also lacking. It's a 3.5, I don't think that's too generous, it's not a bad beer, I'll enjoy drinking it. However it's for SURE not a 4. The mouthfeel is also not too great, the wateriness is not exclusive to the taste if you know what I mean. The carbonation is very subtle and EXTREMELY low, that's not a huge issue considering the style, but it is a little low even considering that. Not a horrible mouthfeel, but the body could use some work, and perhaps the carbonation as well. The drinkability is through the roof, I mean especially for a porter. It's understandable, the beer is only 5.9% ABV, damn. I mean I'm already 3/4 of the way done with my pint. I like a drinkable beer, but to a point it almost gets ridiculous, like in my head I know "this shouldn't go down this easily". Either way, great drinkability. Overall this isn't a bad beer, but not a hair over a decent beer. I guess I could call it "good", but it's really more in between decent and good. Again, it's not bad, but there is really nothing to write home about at all.

The appearance turned out to be pretty good. The lacing was not nearly as thick and consistent as I anticipated it to be. Still, it was nice, and by no means bad. It wasn't what I would consider patchy, but it wasn't full at the same time. It followed a pattern, but it didn't fill up much of the glass. I'd say this beer is a 4 for appearance, considering the body and head were both nice. The lacing wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad, I think 4 is just fine.

MaltsOfGlory, Mar 13, 2012

Sargully, Jan 11, 2012

Tmappin, Mar 20, 2012

Quaffwise, Jan 05, 2012

jh1982, Jan 14, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -6.6%

I do love me some dark porters. Pours black with the thinnest of dark brown around the edges, even when held up to a light. Head is minimal, tan, and sits up top for a minute, and then is gone before you know it.

Lots of roasty notes. Some coffee and bittersweet chocolate, even some smoke.

Tastes more like a stout. It's got the roasted thing down. Very malty, mostly malty; smoke, hops and coffee in the finish.

Creamy. A bit more bitter than I want in a porter. Full-bodied.

I had high expectations for this beer, so I was slightly disappointed that it was only slightly above average. I think this would be better categorized as a stout and I'd have probably given higher marks. Not a bad beer, just not great for the style.

RickS95, Feb 27, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

Nage37, Nov 16, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +20.3%

Appearance. Dark cola with a small tan head.

Smell. Roasty toasty dark malts, some bitter chocolate.

Taste. Really dark roasted malts, dark roasty coffee. Slight sweetness. Really nice.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall. Nice roasty porter here. Just how I like 'em.

Rutager, Jan 02, 2012

fivetime, Feb 18, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: (4.0)
- Rich solid colored dark brown porter. Couple fingers of fluffy light light mocha tan head.. settles to a thin spotty creamy blanket, and leaves some lacing all about the glass.

Smell: (3.5)
- Very roasty in smell, lots of biscuity and sharp grain, light chocolate, and light bitter coffee notes. Surprisingly quite hoppy with very earthy, grassy, and herbal notes. Smells like this may be quite bitter.

Taste: (4.0)
- Indeed it is a very bitter porter, and it is also very good. I love the bitter grassy hops and how zesty bitter it is. Not a very sweet chocolatey malt bill, but more a zesty, crisp, and refreshing porter. I really dig the flavors here. Husky grains with only some light cocoa and coffee. Big resinous hops and earthy flare.

Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- Light to medium bodied, and very well carbonated. Bitter dry and a slight bit cloying. Leaves the tongue quite dry for sure. Not an overly creamy porter or sweet porter at all, but more so thinner like an IPA.

Overall: (3.5)
- This is a very interesting porter. It is almost more like a CDA. Very bitter and hoppy.. but not on the aroma and finishing end. Light sweetness, but more like a dark lager. Overall it is very crisp and refreshing, and is the kind of beer that would snap you out of a non-drinking kind of mood.

Docer, Dec 25, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -19.5%

Full disclaimer ahead of time. I have a special place in my heart for ninkasi.. Their support of mnt. Bike Or won me over.

Look- black as can be. Very little head and it was gone within seconds. No activity. I mean like not one bubble.

Smell not there. No activity so that didn't bring any smell to the top.

Taste- slight bitter with a little sour and coffee. Burnt coffee. Little chile bite on it as well which I didn't expect.

Feel. Odd feeling of spice.

Overall. Not for me. I won't finish this 12 oz bottle.

isualum12, Dec 29, 2011

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

hannaho, Jan 15, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +10.7%

22oz bomber
A) Pours with a finger thick head that settles to a thin lacing on top and at the edge of the glass. Dark brown and reddish hued body. Thin sticky lacing on the glass on the drink down.
S) Smoky notes. Earthy. Yeasty.
T) Dark chocolate notes. Smoky. Some good doughy / bready flavors. Mild hop bite toward the finish.
M) Creamy. Smooth. Full body. Gritty feel throughout.
O). A decent porter. I'd definitely drink more.

u2carew, Jul 31, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Making marmalade tonight with the wife and needed a new beer to keep me occupied outside the regimental stirring... poured into my little CC goblet... short lasting tan head... the brew is pretty much black.. at least in the light in the office.

Nose is mild.. decent roastiness .. grainy maltiness makes me think lower abv porter for sure.. slight hints of what think is a spicy hoppiness.

flavor has a nice coffee punch.. but again, it is pretty mild and mixes into the porter qualities ... I am surprised that this doesn't lean to a heavier dark malt push... but I do like the drinkability.. and I never really like porters too much... but this one is well done and certainly very enjoyable.

3/3.5/3.5/3.5/4

JohnGalt1, Mar 03, 2012

foxyaardvark27, Oct 19, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours very dark brown, appearing black. Thin medium off-white head dissipates quickly to a ring, no lacing. Nice aroma of roasted and smoky malt. Flavor dominated by roasted malt and coffee and light hops. Finishes slightly dry and a bit starkly bitter. Overall the flavor is somewhat attenuated, perhaps because of the moderate ABV. Medium bodied. A satisfactory porter, flavors are pleasant but subdued.

LiquidAmber, Jan 15, 2012