Renewale - 2012 Porter - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 12-25-2011

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

22oz bomber. Served in a goblet.

Pours an almost complete black, a tinge of light gets through. A two finger pillowy beige head forms and settles to a small covering. Some delicate lacing left in glass.

Aroma is properly roasted malt with a floral hop backing, a little spicy. Some sweetness mixed in as well.

Flavor is roasty, bitter, with semi-sweet bakers chocolate. Some mineral notes in the middle and finish. There is a metallic note to the bitterness in the finish. Maybe a little alcohol sneaking through.

Medium-light bodied with medium-sharp carbonation. Slight creaminess.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

An extremely smooth, and somewhat aggressive pout yields a nice big one and a quarter finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is somewhat fluffy and pillowy, but I don't know if i would call it creamy looking. About half small bubbles, and half medium sized bubbles, which is a little surprising, but it's not the end of the world. The head is light brown in color, not too dark, or too light, nice light brown. Head retention isn't bad, I still have about half of the head left. The lacing looks like it will be phenomenal, but we will have to see for sure as I get down the glass. The body is interesting, because it is for sure pitch black. However you can make out some hughes of brown and perhaps even ruby when you hold it up to the light, it is EXTREMELY faint though, and hard to detect. Visibility through the beer is zero. I can't see any carbonation due to the color. Overall it's got a nice looking body and a nice looking head, what more can you ask for? We will see how the lacing goes but this is a darn good looking beer so far. When I first poured the beer into a glass the smell was just incredible, the malts flew out of the glass at me. Since then however it's become more of an average micro brew. Not a bad thing, but not as amazing as it had smelled. Very roasty on the nose, a little sour, probably from the hops. Slightly sweet smelling, maybe a little bit of chocolate. Overall there really isn't a lot to write home about, it's a quality smelling brew, but seriously lacking creativity. It smells like a billion other porters I have had. I'll give it a 4 because it smells good, but that is a little bit generous, for it's serious lack of creativity it could get a 3.5. Well it's a nice beer, but I can say I for sure wont be cutting it any breaks for a 4 instead of a 3.5 for taste. You get a chocolatey, malty taste up front. That is followed by a slightly sour, maybe a tiiiiny bit bitter, hop taste. Frankly the taste is a little watery, it has components that remind me of carbonated water. The lack of flavor mixed with carbonated H2O generally is what reminds me of it. Really there just isn't a whole lot going on here at all. The creativity is not there at all, and the flavor is also lacking. It's a 3.5, I don't think that's too generous, it's not a bad beer, I'll enjoy drinking it. However it's for SURE not a 4. The mouthfeel is also not too great, the wateriness is not exclusive to the taste if you know what I mean. The carbonation is very subtle and EXTREMELY low, that's not a huge issue considering the style, but it is a little low even considering that. Not a horrible mouthfeel, but the body could use some work, and perhaps the carbonation as well. The drinkability is through the roof, I mean especially for a porter. It's understandable, the beer is only 5.9% ABV, damn. I mean I'm already 3/4 of the way done with my pint. I like a drinkable beer, but to a point it almost gets ridiculous, like in my head I know "this shouldn't go down this easily". Either way, great drinkability. Overall this isn't a bad beer, but not a hair over a decent beer. I guess I could call it "good", but it's really more in between decent and good. Again, it's not bad, but there is really nothing to write home about at all.

The appearance turned out to be pretty good. The lacing was not nearly as thick and consistent as I anticipated it to be. Still, it was nice, and by no means bad. It wasn't what I would consider patchy, but it wasn't full at the same time. It followed a pattern, but it didn't fill up much of the glass. I'd say this beer is a 4 for appearance, considering the body and head were both nice. The lacing wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad, I think 4 is just fine.

3.57/5  rDev -2.2%

Making marmalade tonight with the wife and needed a new beer to keep me occupied outside the regimental stirring... poured into my little CC goblet... short lasting tan head... the brew is pretty much black.. at least in the light in the office.

Nose is mild.. decent roastiness .. grainy maltiness makes me think lower abv porter for sure.. slight hints of what think is a spicy hoppiness.

flavor has a nice coffee punch.. but again, it is pretty mild and mixes into the porter qualities ... I am surprised that this doesn't lean to a heavier dark malt push... but I do like the drinkability.. and I never really like porters too much... but this one is well done and certainly very enjoyable.

3/3.5/3.5/3.5/4

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

I do love me some dark porters. Pours black with the thinnest of dark brown around the edges, even when held up to a light. Head is minimal, tan, and sits up top for a minute, and then is gone before you know it.

Lots of roasty notes. Some coffee and bittersweet chocolate, even some smoke.

Tastes more like a stout. It's got the roasted thing down. Very malty, mostly malty; smoke, hops and coffee in the finish.

Creamy. A bit more bitter than I want in a porter. Full-bodied.

I had high expectations for this beer, so I was slightly disappointed that it was only slightly above average. I think this would be better categorized as a stout and I'd have probably given higher marks. Not a bad beer, just not great for the style.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: dark mahogany with ruby highlights, fairly opaque, spongey layer of tan foam, good head retention

Aroma: very low aroma; just a hint of chocolate and coffee grinds

Flavor: medium malt sweetness with a roasty bitterness predominating; hints of cocoa and herbal hops; finishes semisweet

Mouthfeel: medium body, gentle carbonation, some roast astringency

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: rich brown-black hue with just hints of red let through when held up to the light. Head is a thick finger of frothy dark-tan foam. Nice!

Smell: tart malt aroma with hints of roasted malt and a little chocolate. Not too bad.

Taste: lightly malty with a pretty pronounced roasty character and quite a bit of tartness. Bitterness is low, but vegetal hops are present. Not bad, but a bit on the acidic side.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a surprisingly nice creaminess. I was expecting it to be more astringent, what with this acidity.

Overall: a decent porter, if a little on the too-roasty side.

3.37/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown, thin tan head and poor retention. Roasted and chocolate balanced aroma. Flavor is balanced as well with a strong roasted/coffee flavor up front that mellows to a light herbal finish. A biting, thin feel.

A moderate roasted linger that’s much easier drinking than most since it’s not too heavy. The nice herbal finish gets lost halfway through but an all-around decent beer although the mouthfeel could be a little better.

2.93/5  rDev -19.7%

12oz bottle, tulip snifter.

Pours black with a light brown head that dissipates fairly quickly.

The aroma is a subtle blend of roast malt and some bitter cocoa.

Roast malts, bitter cocoa and bitter coffee.

A light to medium body with average carbonation.

An okay porter, the bitterness from the coffee in the finish was a bit more than I would have liked, but nothing overly unpleasant.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a dark brown with a small thin tan head. Ok retention, but fades fairly quickly.

S - Roasted malts, chocolate, bitter coffee.

T - Mostly bitter coffee and old chocolate.

D - Very, very thin. Decent carbonation.

O - Ok, so thin, that it distracted me from the rest of the beer.

3.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours very dark brown, appearing black. Thin medium off-white head dissipates quickly to a ring, no lacing. Nice aroma of roasted and smoky malt. Flavor dominated by roasted malt and coffee and light hops. Finishes slightly dry and a bit starkly bitter. Overall the flavor is somewhat attenuated, perhaps because of the moderate ABV. Medium bodied. A satisfactory porter, flavors are pleasant but subdued.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%