Babylon - Ninkasi Brewing Company

BabylonBabylon

good

Ninkasi Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: beertunes on 05-29-2012)

2.2/5  rDev -39.4%

A: Copper, no lacing/legs.

N: Sweet dried pineapple, no hops at all.

T: sweet and bready and sweet...this is an IPA?

M: Fine

O: This is hardly a DIPA. Its definitely pale malts but I dont get much hops for teh aroma or the taste. Its all sugars.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

2.86/5  rDev -21.2%

You know what pisses me off about Ninkasi? It's that they obviously have the hype. Their state of residence is one filled with a lot of good breweries, making good to great to amazing IPAs. They could brew a great IPA if they wanted to, they obviously have the capacity, finances and manpower to create a good beer. They just choose not to.

This beer... I just don't understand it. Who's the target audience? Hopheads? It has a decent (not great, but decent) hop profile, followed by the most sickly sweet, sugary, malty aftertaste I've ever experienced in an IPA. I've had two sips and I'm already paranoid about the awesome hangover I'll have tomorrow due to the extra sugars in this. Seriously, though, I don't know who this beer is made for. Hopheads obviously have better choices in Boneyard, Deschutes, and a million other local Oregon breweries, fans of English IPAs will hate the hops used in this... I just don't understand the point of this beer. Maybe Ninkasi just hates everyone and hopes they all get diabetes by drinking this.

It's really frustrating for me because they obviously have the advertising side down pat. They know how to make a name for themselves. I just wish they'd finally create some beer worthy of all this goddamn hype. Literally every beer I've had from them has been either decent (Total Domination) to mediocre (Tricerahops) to kinda shit (this) to what the fuck were they thinking (Spring Reign -- I don't think I've ever, in my life, wanted to trade DOWN to a Heineken or a Grolsch, but this was that rare instance when I would have). I haven't had one single beer of theirs that has been worthy of this huge hype they've been receiving. It's absolutely mind-boggling. Anyway, whatever, this beer was the final straw for me. I've completely written off this brewery; they're obviously more interested in creating hype for themselves than the actual art of craft beer so there's absolutely no point in even trying anything else of theirs. I know exactly what I'll get: a lot of buzzwords and a shit beer. No, thanks.

2.9/5  rDev -20.1%

22oz bottle from Belmont Station.

A: Cloudy light copper color with a very thin lacing. No legs. It doesn't look too bad, but it doesn't have anything to recommend it.

N: Subtle grassy nose with a fair amount of dried pineapple. There's a little bit of marijuana and something akin to...glue?Lots of pine floor. Where's the dry hopping?

T: Very bready with a lot of bitterness throughout the middle. There's hints of malt and a lot of straw. Peppercorns and spiciness. Some residual sugars add sweetness to the back of the palate.

M: Not too bad. Very dry and moderately resinous.

O: A subpar DIPA. I don't expect a ton from Ninkasi, but it seems to me they can do better than this. I would not buy this again unless the recipe was changed.

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

A: Amber haze, white head, dissipating quickly. Very little lacing.

S: Light, boozy smell. Caramel malts and olives predominate. Slightly oxidized?

T: Very boozy upfront--I've had 11.5% beers that hide the ABV better than this. Dank, dirty taste; there's no crispness here. Malty, and a bit sweet for my taste. The olive flavor does add some interest.

M: Low to moderate carbonation. There is a bit of hop resin stickiness on the palate, which is nice.

O: Not really my style; I like the uber-hoppy American-style IPAs. If you tend towards English IPAs, you will probably like this one. I bought 4 bombers on the recommendation of a friend--oh well...Gotta hand it to Ninkasi for trying something different, though.

3.24/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bomber into a conic pint glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- Finger and a half thick cream-colored head. Retention last for about a minute before shrinking to slumping froth near the edges. Lacing is thick but spotty. Hazy orange-red color. Low clarity. Just a smidge above average.

S- Floral and spicy notes, alcoholic undertones. Not a complex aroma but certainly appealing. Subdued with the hops which is the way I prefer it.

T- Alcoholic mellowness here, hits hard. The hops form a nice bitter backbone with a sweet honeyed amber malt forefront.

M- Creamy with a touch of alcoholic smoothness. Thin and mellow with a sticky wet finish.

O- The feel was the best part of this beer for me. Enjoyable, but falls prey to over-alcoholic tendencies. Honestly, I prefer that to a hop bomb, but still, not a superb beer.

3.35/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance has a nice copper amber color supporting a nice head that sticks around awhile leaving spotty lace. Smell is rich in caramel malt with balance floral hop aroma. Tasting the sweetness of the malt that may overbalance the grapefruit bitterness of the hops. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Overall it's not a bad DIPA, But personally I'm not into sweet beers and this is one of those.

Babylon from Ninkasi Brewing Company