Babylon - Ninkasi Brewing Company

Beer added by: beertunes on 05-29-2012

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

4.34/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bomber into standard american shaker pint.

A: somewhat rough pour nets small but beautiful frothy Dial hand soap colored head. Head fell to a lovley cap of tiny bubbles and a thick ring around the glass. Slightly cloudy deep golden straw hue. The cloudyness might be chill haze however.

S: a bit stuffed up but here goes nothing. Big citrusy hops and a hint of sweetness shine through most. Other than that some of the complexities are lost on my stuffy nose.

T: rich sweet double golden body with a hit of citrus hops and closing with a soft bitter note that rides for a while. The body of this brew is fantastic, like some of the better belgian strong goldens and dubbles but without the belgian yeast character. The hops come in just right to balance and don't overwhelm like Ninkasi is known for.

M: heavy and sweet up front almost like a barleywine but finishes dry becsuse of the huge hopping. Smooth too.

O: excellent brew and I am not an IPA fan. But DIPA are almost a whole different animal and this is a grest one. I would get it again and I am a stout drinker.

2.21/5  rDev -39.5%

A: Copper, no lacing/legs.

N: Sweet dried pineapple, no hops at all.

T: sweet and bready and sweet...this is an IPA?

M: Fine

O: This is hardly a DIPA. Its definitely pale malts but I dont get much hops for teh aroma or the taste. Its all sugars.

3.64/5  rDev -0.3%

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

3.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this in there seasonal 4 pack, I wanted to try their two spring seasonal and get pin. It had a good dark color to it and just the right amount of hops. I liked this one better then their triceahops not that one was bad or anything, just this one is just right.

3.76/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My Wife brought this home from the grocery store.

Poured from a 22oz. Bomber into vintage beer mug.

Nice coppery/burnt orange w/ a bit of haze. At 50 degrees it had a nice soapy head which dissipated to quickly.

Not much of a distinctive aroma , maybe a biscuit with orange marmalade

The taste reminded me of the smell, l bready, orangey with maybe some lemon, it seemed pretty balanced, maybe a bit to much. I found it a little to sweet for me, but very drinkable.

Mouthfeel was good, a medium body with a lingering flavor on the tongue. The alcohol in the brew was very well masked.

Overall, I kinda liked it. Would I buy it again? Possibly. Would I search it out? Probably not. I'm still not sure if the DIPA fits.

I enjoy Ninkasi's Tricerahops a bit more.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

3.1/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Amber haze, white head, dissipating quickly. Very little lacing.

S: Light, boozy smell. Caramel malts and olives predominate. Slightly oxidized?

T: Very boozy upfront--I've had 11.5% beers that hide the ABV better than this. Dank, dirty taste; there's no crispness here. Malty, and a bit sweet for my taste. The olive flavor does add some interest.

M: Low to moderate carbonation. There is a bit of hop resin stickiness on the palate, which is nice.

O: Not really my style; I like the uber-hoppy American-style IPAs. If you tend towards English IPAs, you will probably like this one. I bought 4 bombers on the recommendation of a friend--oh well...Gotta hand it to Ninkasi for trying something different, though.

Babylon from Ninkasi Brewing Company