Sigtuna Vårweizen - Sigtuna Brygghus

Sigtuna VÃ¥rweizenSigtuna VÃ¥rweizen

Sigtuna Brygghus visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Hopped with Cascade and Amarillo. Introduced in February 2010.

(Beer added by: bark on 01-18-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

07-21-2012 12:20:39 | More by Blissmo
bark

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

The colour is warm dark beige - pale brown, the liquid is hazy. The two finger head slowly sinks to a very thin lid with some floaties. Some lacing occurs.

The smell is a blend of sweet fruity esters from the wheat (apples, oranges, plums, and banana candy) and fruity hops with a bitter touch. Some yeast and a dry note of flour.

The taste is first dry with an almost sharp bitterness. It develops quickly into a sweeter flavour with a distinct flavour of banana toffee. It passes, too leaving room for fruity notes of green apples, ripe apricots and a slowly growing clean bitter flavour. The aftertaste is quite dry with minerals, green apples and hints of grapefruit and lime. Yeast in the finish.

The carbonation is strong with lots of small fresh bubbles. The liquid is semi-smooth.

An interesting blend of styles: A South German hefeweizen with some American hops. Very refreshing, although I think I would choose one of the classic German ones if I had to pick only one.

02-24-2010 18:56:20 | More by bark
Evil_Pidde

3.33/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer comes in a brown, kind of ugly, really short-necked 50 cl bottle. A blue kind of boring label with a city sky-line.

A: The pour is faint hazy golden (almost like a lager) with lots of medium-large bubbles in the liquid. The head is foamy white that slowly dissipates leaving very little lacings.

S: Yeast, ripe bananas, coriander and mix of wheat and malt. Floral hops gives it a citric note.

T: Ripe bananas and coriander together with a nice mix between wheat and malt(ed barley). Some floral hops with citric notes. Thers's also a chemical "off-taste".

M: Refreshing with a short aftertaste. Body is mediumlight and carbonation is rich with kind of rough bubbles.

D: A refreshing Hefeweizen, but not as nice as the Bavarian ones.

02-23-2010 18:47:16 | More by Evil_Pidde
rarbring

3.38/5  rDev -2.3%

A hazy lightly amber colored beer, with a compact white big head that leaves very little lacing.

The smell is rich with spices, coriander and cardamom, a sour banana fruitiness (sic!), and sweet bun with a hint of yeast.

The taste is poorer, a sharp bitterness that is neither typical nor pleasant. Otherwise the spiciness and acid is good. I possibly could want some sweetness.

Light carbonation, small bubbles and a rather soft feeling.

Decent but a bit unbalanced taste.

02-19-2010 22:07:56 | More by rarbring
dqrull

3.73/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a very hazy golden amber with a huge airy wheat-ish head, leaving lots of lacing.

Smells fresh, spicy and lightly acidic, actually, I think this is about how pickled bananas would smell, weird, but not bad.

Taste follow suit, b ut with a more muted fruitiness, and lots of more spices, cloves are very up front, and almost in your face, some other spices are there as well, but they are hard for me to put my finger on.

Very refreshing mouthfeel with a lively and fitting carbonation.

02-13-2010 18:22:57 | More by dqrull
krunchie

3.63/5  rDev +4.9%

Being a huge fan of Sigtuna Brygghus' beers I just had to taste this one!

A: Pours cloudy yellow with a sparkly but persistent white head. As usual with Sigtuna's beers; high CO2, which in this case is great considering the style. A bit amber around the edges of the glass, but still has a true hefeweizen color.

S: I get the expected german wheat beer aroma, hefeweizen yeast aroma, orange zest and light spices. Actually a bit like a belgian wit with a quite strong coriander nose, which I have no problem with. Actually reminds me a lot of Hoegaarden and St Bernardus Wit.

T: Spices; coriander and perhaps a little bitter orange, white pepper and curacao. Actually quite bitter in the finish, which I think doesn't fit the style too well. It's not unpleasant, but if I were the brewmaster I'd cut down on the bittering hops. This beer is brewed with american hops, but I honestly don't get any american hop character. Since I read it on the label I sort of get a very slight Cascade aroma, but I might just be believing I get something because I'm "supposed to" pick up those aromas. But really, if someone said it was made with Saaz or Hallertau I'd totally buy that. It's a nice beer, but if you write "...wheat beer in a south german style with a modern touch, thanks to american hop varieties" you'd expect a more dominant american hop profile.

M/D: Light and crisp, thirst quenching. Leaves a taste of bitter orange zest on my palate. Very true to the style, yet a liiiittle bit to bitter for the style IMHO.

To be honest, I thought this beer would be much more unique and different, but I think it's much like a standard german wheat beer. Nothing too experimental or "modern" here, but still a nice hefeweizen, don't get me wrong. Considering their other very unique, interesting and mighty tasty beers I was sort of dissapointed with this beer, unfortunately

02-12-2010 18:31:35 | More by krunchie
Sigtuna Vårweizen from Sigtuna Brygghus
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.