Microbrew Invitational

Added by zerk on 01-24-2003

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 78 | Ratings: 109
4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Extremely dark brown, almost completely opaque. It is hard to get light to go through it. The head is a khaki color with decent retention.

S: Classic roasted barley notes, with coffee, chocolate, and some smoky tones. Slightly elevated sweetness from oats, with little to no hop smell.

T: Flavors start out very light on the front with some dainty sweetness. The middle begins to pick up with a milk chocolate sweetness. The finish ramps up even more with an intense coffee bitterness that is surprisingly well balanced by a powder sugar sweetness.

M: Thick body with slight carbonation, which fits the style very well.

O: This is a great version of an Oatmeal Stout. It focuses on the nuances that can be created with barley and oats. Props to Barley Island for distinguishing itself from a majority of craft brewers fright now, and not feeling that American hops need to shine through in each style.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

A- 1/4" dark tan head on a black body!
S- Big oatmeal comes to nose first. Light chocolate is found in there too but it is just a strong oatmeal aroma and a hint of earthy hops.
T-Big oatmeal flavor followed by a bit of a coffee malt. Light chocolate comes out along with some earthy hops leaving a nice bitterness on the tongue to help balance it out.
M- Nice soft and creamy mouthfeel to it. Medium to full in body and low carbonation.
D- This is a very tasty oatmeal stout. If I saw this I would want to pick up another (and I'm glad I have another sitting in my fridge).

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Just got home with a growler... I was dissapointed that they were out of their cask conditioned special bittter, until I poured this one into a glass... I could tell this was something special the moment I layed eyes on it. Dark as night... not a single ray of light passes through this baby. Has a beige head that reamins at about 1/2 inch, and leaves some lace behind. Aroma is full of roasted malt... coffee and chocolate, with a touch of grassy hops. Flavor is nearly perfect... chocolate, a slight sweetness lent by the oatmeal, and some grassy notes, finishing with quite a bit of coffee... each flavor held in perfect balance. Mouthfeel is full and creamy... oh so smooth! This rivals some of the best oatmeal stouts I've had, and is by far the best brew I've had from Barley Island. Now that I know about this gem, I'm going to be going there more often.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last