Früh Kölsch - Brauerei Früh am Dom

Früh KölschFrüh Kölsch

Brauerei Früh am Dom visit their website
Germany

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Longstaff on 10-01-2002)

Crisp, clean and German.

4.85/5  rDev +27.6%

After spending weeks here in Cologne, trying the various kolsch's, I'd been avoiding the Früh simply because of its high reputation. I'd wanted to wait and let it stand the test of comparison. Last night, it stood.

We ate dinner at the Brauerei Früh Am Dom (across from Starbuck's, behind which is The Dom Cathedral). I started with a clean palate on my first Früh. I was rather amazed at its complexity. I sat, carefully appreciating each sip, attempting to discern all of its characteristics (and probably annoying the waiter and also nearby tables).

First-- the head-- it is clean-white, soft and foamy, not overly sturdy and it dissipates in about a minute. The taste is very nice-- not overly-pils/hops, but a slight taste thereof. It's not bitter, like some, however.

The beer-- gorgeous medium-gold!

It seemed as though the beer triggered a different taste from tongue-tip to palate to tongue-rear, each step of my slow and careful discernings triggered some new ambience in the flavor. I was rather startled!

I seemed to sense some apple, maybe even some subtle hints of sour-apple at times. There was this subtle "golden" taste which tells me possibly apricot, and/or maybe peach or plum, or possibly all three.

After 5 glasses of .3L Früh, before during and after the meal, I still was eagerly exploring its taste. But-- alas, it was time to leave!

As for the restaurant itself, the atmosphere (and price) is a bit above-scale, the food is great, and the service impeccable.

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%

I have nothing to compare this to since it was my first Kolsch experience. But it had a medium yellowish color slightly darker than Budweiser and was cyrstal clear even though it was being served from a a wooden keg using gravity. The head was light, frothy, and bone white in color. Clean, crisp tasting malt with a slight fruitiness. Finishes with a mild hop twang and bitterness like a mild pilsner. Very refreshing - I could have sat and had about 30 of these - they were served in .2 liter test tube like glasses that was replaced without question whenever you were near the bottom of the glass.

4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

Ahhhh, sitting near the Dom, eating a Halve Hahn and drinking a nice Koelsch as fresh as it comes. This, my friends, is heaven. Sit down, shout 'Eh, Kurbis!' with pride and enjoy one of the finest beers the world has to offer.
How does the beer taste? Well, it's simple, sweet and clean. Like any other Koelsch, it has broad appeal. That also means that there isn't really anything too special about it. It's just a well-put-together beer. Enjoy with friends and food and life will be good.

4.63/5  rDev +21.8%

This Kolsch in my opinion can only be experienced on tap. The bottled versions tend to be over hopped and slightly off in flavor versus the tap version. Obviously enjoying a Fruh Kolsch in the shadow of Kolner Dome is very unique. The beer is light and crisp with a very light and almost airy appearance when presented in the kolsch glass. If you are looking for a heafty dense beer go somewhere else. It is one of my personal favorites, especially on a hot summer day.

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sampled blind, in a Stange next to Reissdorf.
Not a hint of boiled grain on the palate. Just flowery, starchy fizz and sunny, bright, natural, pure sweetness. How can this be "obergaerig," I wonder. It is so light, so drinkable. Not necessarily a beer to dissect, but rather, a beer to succumb to and float away on.
If "Frueh" means "early," does that mean we can drink this for breakfast???
Thanks to Jan's dad for this treat.

4.56/5  rDev +20%

Hard to find Kolsch in Edmonton, but I found two bottles of Fruh and tried them out. A pale yellow colour with a lot of bubbles. There was a nice bit of foam but it dissipated quickly, leaving some lacing behind. A floral smell with a perfect crisp taste. The taste was mostly in the center of the mouth so it didn't overwhelm but I thought it could have been more well-rounded.

I really liked this beer and hope to get more of this specific brand as well as some other Kolschs. It would be perfect on a hot day sitting on my deck.

4.48/5  rDev +17.9%

500 ml bottle served in a tulip glass.

A: slightly cloudy golden color with a white head that dissipates quickly

S: very delicate floral nose, presumably from the noble hops used by the Cologne brewing convention; the tulip glass brings up the delicate nose nicely

T: prominent characteristic beer flavor from the pale barley malt, with a mild sweetness said to be from the special ale yeast used by the Cologne brewing convention; noble hop bitterness was noticeable but very mild

M: Light body, medium carbonation, smooth round mouth feel; just what you look for in a kölsch

O: Reminds me of the sips of beer my German grandfather gave me when I was little. For me a kölsch from Cologne is a definitive light German ale and there is none better than Früh.

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

Lasting fine and dense head, velvety on top of a transparent pale golden color. The smell was enjoyably fruity and sweet with some biscuity and slightly buttery notes. The taste shows a crisp maltiness with light but interesting fruity notes of tangerine and sweet buttery biscuit notes. Mouthfeel is very cleanm round and crisp. Dry, but round. Slightly creamy. Hoppiness is clean and under control.

My favorite Kolsch of the trip.

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

The definition of what a Kolsch should be. While in Munich I wanted to try the Fruh but was prevented my a looong night at a Turkish bar. Now I have one via express mail. Great light color and smell of a kolsch. Crisp and Clean taste. Great mouthfeel and drinkability. A kolsch of the hightest order the sort only found in Bavaria.

Früh Kölsch from Brauerei Früh am Dom