Wobbly Bob APA - Broad Ripple Brew Pub

No picture uploaded.

Broad Ripple Brew Pub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: zerk on 01-31-2004)
Reviews by Jon:
Jon

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

Amber-copper color with a foamy white head. Looks good in an imperial pint glass.

Piney, citrus hops linger aromatically. A touch of caramelized malt aroma is evident, as well, though the nose is quite one-dimensional.

Sharp, raw, piney, citrusy hops resonate in the flavor department. Caramel and crystal malt flavors appear, as well, though they seem to be too easily dominated by the pronounced hop profile. Seems a bit too unbalanced, even for an American Pale Ale. As a registered hophead, however, I can't deduct too many points here.

Oily, almost undercarbonated mouthfeel. Medium-bodied.

Good drinkability derives from the dry, refreshing hop qualities present in this ale. Highly hopped and a bit raw, this beer will probably please only the hopheads in the crowd.

02-01-2004 03:57:39 | More by Jon
qcbrewer

07-25-2014 01:57:59 | More by qcbrewer
alleykatking

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from my growler.

A- Nice light golden orange/yellow color. Hard Pour resulted in little 1/2 finger white head that dies fast. No lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Nice light floral hops in this one. Some notes of citrus or lemony earthy appeal to it. Light sweetbread malts to this beer as well. A lighter smelling beer that had me expecting a little more.

T- Good earthy hops in the front end of this beer. Light and crisp hop bite blends in with a sweetbread style malts in the middle ending with a distint lemon light tart taste. Nice surprise from what the nose gave.

M- Lighter mouthfeel on this beer. Carbonation levels were a little on the underside but I expect that since it was a couple days since I bought the growler. Clean taste with light hops and malts left on the tongue long after the glass is done.

D- I put this entire growler away no problem. This has to have a lighter ABV on it as I was able to do that. Good beer I can't wait to try again.

11-14-2009 03:36:44 | More by alleykatking
ktrillionaire

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Review from July 2010.

A - It pours a golden-capper hue, capped with a nice head and leaving some lace. To style.

S - There seems to be a good mix of pungent cascade hoppiness, and a big dose of lemongrass in the nose. The aroma is very pleasant, and the delectable lemongrass nuance strengthens as the glass is upended.

T - The elements of the nose are contiguous with the taste. Big resiny hop yields lemon-citric and herbal flavors, the moderately robust yet pale malt provides a perfect foundation, and the whole thing comes together splendidly.

M - IPA. Good.

D - I would be drinking a lot of this if I lived near Broad Ripple.

11-12-2010 20:38:36 | More by ktrillionaire
kuestegg

08-10-2012 13:59:09 | More by kuestegg
denimdemon

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

11-29-2011 21:57:10 | More by denimdemon
JamesS

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a very nice mid-copper color with decent head and decent lacing. Great deep scent, with a very nice malty base and a great citrus hop aroma. Excellent flavor, a great sweet malty undertone (possible Crystal malts) with a great hop overtone, very citrusy (Cascade?) at the end that lasts and gives it a great aftertaste. Goes down very smooth, a great sessionable beer.

01-03-2011 00:16:31 | More by JamesS
zerk

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer, served on cask, presents itself as a hazy deep copper with some orange tint. A whispy white head... more soap bubbles than foam, leaves behind some fine lace.

Aroma is like opening a bag of hops and inhaling. There is some pine and citrus, but it's mostly just the smell of a hop leaf, fresh and fragrant. There is some light toasted malt going on here as well, but it's an afterthought... more of a role player... the hops are the star here.

The same can be said of the flavor... like raw hop extract... but not at all bitter. Pine and citrus are right up front, and a toasted, almost nutty, malt gives a bit of backbone. The flavor is quite balanced with very little lingering bitterness and very little sweetness.

The beer is somewhat light in body, and being cask conditioned, very low in carbonation, and is very smooth.

The lighter body, smooth mouthfeel, and lower ABV, make for an incredibly drinkable beer.

Let me be clear on this point... this is not only the best beer that I've tasted at Broad Ripple Brewpub, this is probably the best offering I've had at a brewpub in the Indianapolis area. This is an absolutely fabulous session beer, with a very distinctinve flavor. If you happen to be at Broad Ripple Brewpub and see this on the tap list, snatch it up immediately... or better yet, call me, and I will!

01-31-2004 15:39:42 | More by zerk
GreggBarton

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

12-30-2012 15:26:01 | More by GreggBarton
bertram

12-24-2011 19:27:58 | More by bertram
908carson

Indiana

My first and only perfect score.
I'm not sure what I like most about this beer.
I think the Broad Ripple Brew Pub totally missed the boat on making this their Flagship Pale Ale. The Lawnmower is good and all, but the Wobbly Bob is outstanding.
If they bottled this, it is all I would ever buy.
If they had it on tap all the time, I would always have a growler in my fridge.
Unfortunately, neither of these scenarios will ever happen. I have asked...
But that only increases my desire for Wobbly Bob. When it comes around, I am there. With bells on.

Appearance: Light amber, copper. Clear. Quarter inch of coarse-bubbled head. Sufficient Lacing.

Smell: Exceptionally fragrant. Whatever they've done here, they need to apply this to all their beers. I usually find their beers to be a little "flat smelling." But the Wobbly Bob is lively and sexy. Grapefruit and pineapple cocktail, with a little dry pine sap.

Taste: Perfectly balanced for every situation. This is my ideal beer... If have told them on several occasions and I know i'm not the only one that likes this. My wife is an avid fan as well.
This, to me, is a world-class APA. Not too malty, not too hoppy. Exceptionally refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. I know i'm not really being all that helpful here... but this is my favorite style of beer and i've sampled hundreds of different takes on it. the Wobbly Bob takes the cake. Effervescent, crisp, refreshing. 5.5% is the perfect abv for this style.

Drinkability: Infinite. I could drink this all day, every day. A perfect replacement for water. On my deathbed, I'll take an IV drip of Wobbly Bob. It's in my will, no shit. This is the definition of a session beer.

I can't say enough about this beer... I'm reviewing it months after it was on tap last... it is forever ingrained in my mind. If you live within traveling distance, watch their beer list. when it comes back around, do yourself a favor and make the trip to taste it. I promise you that you won't be disappointed. Message me and i'll meet you there to buy you a pint. I'm not kidding.

10-31-2010 15:20:10 | More by 908carson