E.S.B. - Broad Ripple Brew Pub

No picture uploaded.

Broad Ripple Brew Pub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: zerk on 10-24-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

spycow, Oct 26, 2014
3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

(Served in a ½ pint glass)

A- This beer has a warm reddish-brown body with a thick snow-white head that last for a bit then fades to a thin ring around the rim. There is a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles.

S- The taste of smooth toasted malt has a very slight sweetness to it giving it a fresh taste with a light pine hops nose to follow.

T- The flavor of toasted malt is supported by notes of biscuit malt and a very light caramel note. The finish is a light smooth pine hops with a light bitterness that finishes pretty quickly.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a soft alcohol warmth when the beer warms.

D- This beer has some nice malt flavor with softer hop flavor. This is a nice session beer with good malt flavors supported by hops flavor.

rhoadsrage, Aug 27, 2007

WoodBrew, Aug 23, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

From a sampler: Pours a rich amber color witha medium light beige head. Decent lacing. The aroma is fairly malty, with caramel and hops also detectable. The flavor is not overly bitter, and it has a strong malt backbone. The finish is alternating malt and hops. Not too bad.

Dogbrick, Jan 19, 2004

MSandahl23, Jan 08, 2013
4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

A - It pours in an exceptionally picturesque manner. Never have I seen a cask beer look so good. The brown body proudly boasts a generous crown of off-white frothy head. I am astounded.

S - Amazing, fantastic, beyond superlative. Delectable notes of cocoa and vanilla mingle with a rich maltiness and a bright grassy-leafy hop bitterness.

T - This beer is loaded with complexity and subtlety; it is also the picture of balance. The earthy, leafy, grassy and resiny hop is very forward in the mix, but the malt is ample and sturdy. Notes of rich malt meld into nuances of vanilla and cocoa, and the hop segues from bitter to more herbal as the glass empties.

M - Velvety and luxurious, with ample brightness and effervescence. The best cask I've ever had.

D - I would drink many a pint of this if I lived in Indianapolis.

ktrillionaire, Jul 14, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Nice ESB, it had a wonderful copper color to it, with excellent lacing. Nice malty scent, and a nice bit of earthy hops in the undertone. Good taste, nice and clean, with a bit more of a malty feel than most ESBs, with a wonderful earthy hop finish. It goes down smooth, quite a wonderful ESB.

JamesS, Oct 09, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Dark chestnut color, almost mohogany. Small, thin white head, not much retention or lace. Darker, malt almost a roasty aroma. Floral hop aroma. Good slightly caramel biscuit malt, followed by a fair amount of floral hop bitterness. Finishes slightly dry. Lighter body, low carbonation. This is another great session beer brom Broad Ripple.

Bierguy5, Jul 29, 2005

gratefulbeerhead, Apr 19, 2014

NooseJustice, Dec 01, 2013

target88, Dec 05, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

denimdemon, Jun 19, 2012
4.22/5  rDev 0%

When I was new to microbrews, I went to any microbrew and tried the sampler, and usually ended up with the dark beers. I had never had an ESB at this point, and didn't really know what the hell it was. Well, the Cumberland in Louisville brewed one and I tried it, and shrugged. It was lighter, but I preferred thier pale and nitro porter.

So my friend and I were in the Broad Ripple, and I had thier dark beer, but he had the ESB because he was more experienced with beers. He said I should get one, so I did. That was it. I locked into it and drank nothing else when I went to the Broad Ripple. Period. It was the best ESB that I compared all others too.

This past weekend, five years with two years of being a BA later, I found myself at the Broad Ripple and ordered the holy grail of ESB's and well, it wasn't as wonderful as I remembered, but then, as I sipped, it became again, a great beer in my book.

It had a good head that stayed with the beer and was a cloudy yellow-grey appearence, almost like a mead. There was not much to smell, but the grains used. Not as pungent as a wheat or Hefe. Mouth was watery, not much bite, washed down clean with good foam , it was also served near room temperature. Taste was, well, very decent. It wasn't as hoppy as some American ESBs, it had a mild flavor with a slight bitter wash, but what made this beer was the flavor of the grains used. I could almost pick out the elements in this beer, and imagined that if I ordered an ESB in a bar in England, this is the pint I'd get. Very nice.

Well, ESB from Broad Ripple remains the finest microbrewed ESB with only Fullers ESB in bottles being the best I've tried. If you're at the BR, get one. Then, get another.

Ricochet, Dec 19, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

olafphysics, Feb 22, 2014
3.85/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

another beer for me. another reason to get divorced.

the esb is a radiant red with absolutely no head. what is it with me not getting any head?

bitter, sour aroma of grain and cabbage. I didn't say it was great.

the flavor is very good. it is a nice spicy hop flavor right up front which maintains its body until a bitter flavor kicks in. slightly fruity quality in this one as well, as well as a little grassy aftertaste.

thick, undercarbonated mouthfeel.

very decent brew here. more carbonation please, but that is my personal preference. great flavor on this.

cnally, May 25, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

A winner of the GABF gold medal in 1991, I knew this had to be the first beer I try from BRBP... copper with very little head that quickly dissapated and left almost no lace at all. Aroma was of carmel with fruity esters... a little bit of alcohol as well. Flavor began with a malt sweetness... some grainy flavors... floral hops flavors, then meduim bitterness to finish things off --- extremently well balanced. Carbonation is low-meduum, with a medium body. This is exactly what I think of when I think of ESB... and is my new favorite for the style. If you make your way to Broad Ripple, you simply MUST try this beer!

zerk, Oct 24, 2002

TheWiredDJ, Aug 26, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Deep amber/mahogany color with a frothy off-white head.

Caramelized malty nose with a hint of floral, earthy hops.

Very well-balanced flavor with notes of toasty caramel malt, toffee, herbal, earthy hops and a lingering, off-dry finish.

Superbly smooth mouthfeel with medium body.

This ESB drinks incredibly easily. A well-balanced ale with a great deal of character. The best everyday offering from Broad Ripple Brewpub.

Jon, Feb 01, 2004
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Copper colored body, a very little amout of carbonation apparent in the body. Decent head, but retention is pretty weak. Nice malty aroma, with plenty of hops - floral and grassy. Smooth and very well balanced flavor. Very earthy and hoppy, with plenty of bready caramel malt sweetness. Smooth mouthfeel, with a nice oily hop finish.

Viking, Nov 10, 2002
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

poogas, Dec 12, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

This is the BRBP's flagship beer, a gold-medal winner in the GABF. And you can tell.

The appearance is slightly turbid, with a dark copper color. Carbonation is low, with little head, which is indicitive of the style.

Smell has a pleasant, earthy hop aroma, with hints of malt.

Taste is exceptional. This is the money-maker.

Mouthfeel is smooth, low carb, well balanced.

Very drinkable. I could drink this all day long.

BlackAngus, Jul 18, 2006

blurredline, Oct 11, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

Copper colored and slightly hazy. Not much head to speak of. Aroma is malty sweetness. Big hop flavor and aftertaste, but it does not overpower the malt backbone. Hop flavor is a bit woody. Medium bodied.

The menu says this beer won a gold at the GABF. It is a good beer, but I have to say of all those I sampled I liked the Replic Ale (Cask-conditioned Scottish-80) better than the rest.

schoolcb, Jul 26, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

This was the best beer I had at Broad Ripple when I was recently there. This is a great example of a Bitter: hazy golden color, moderate lacing, great smell (biting hops) and the taste is amazing. Perfectly balanced malt and hops; not too bitter and just the right amount of fruity sweetness. This and their double IPA go great with fish'n'chips.

thedrewski86, Jan 16, 2010