Wild Hop Organic Amber Lager - Green Valley Brewing Company (Crooked Creek)

Wild Hop Organic Amber LagerWild Hop Organic Amber Lager

Green Valley Brewing Company (Crooked Creek) visit their website

Vienna Lager |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-11-2006

This beer is a fake microbrew made by Budweiser. It is a cheap attempt to push actual craft brewers off the shelves of your local liquor of grocery store. Watch the documentary called Beer Wars. I flat out refuse to purchase any Budweiser products after seeing it. (264 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -44.5%

Bottle at the Mundelein beer tasting.

Pours clear and amber. Smells and tastes light and ineffectual-- kind of like a macro lager. Very little in the way flavor and aroma outside of a generic beer taste. Name notwithstanding, there is only the vaguest suggestion of hop bitterness in the finish-- and I might have made that up.

If this is organic beer, give me a glass of DDT. (382 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -40.9%

Green Valley Brewing Wild Hop Lager
12 oz bottle
Recent brewing, force fed 11/06
Medium pour in a tulip glass

Poured a clear copper with a fizzy mostly diminishing white head with a tiny ring of lacing.

Smelt of light caramel, dark bread, and herbs.

Taste was upfront light caramel and bread tones followed by a moderate hop awkward herbs and metallic bite on a slightly toasted malt finish of average length. Light bodied, watery, fizzy, metallic and slightly astringent.

Overall, this is just a bland beer with some attempt at taste. Finish is more awkward than a crag-climbing gangly adolescent on stilts. (624 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -36.7%

$1.50 for a 12oz bottle. 150kcal per bottle. 5.0% ABV. Brewed with 100% organic metcalfe and Harrington barley malt. Hopped with Cascade & Willamette.

Pours ut to a sparkingly clear light amber, forming a tall creamy head with great retention and very nice lacing. Gorgeous beer. The aroma has that A-B yeast smell with a slight degree of caramel fruitiness and vanilla when swirled. Mouthfeel is soft, lightly dry in the finish, watery, with a light body. The taste is quite muted...there is a slight damp cardboard mustiness about it. The bitterness is chemical in nature. There are some fusel alcohols in the finish. As it warms, the oxidization becomes more noticeable.

Well, I wasn't expecting much, and I certainly didn't get much. I couldn't call this a Vienna lager, more of a domestic macro amber lager. Kinda reminds me of a A-B stab at Sam Adams Light. (866 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -35.7%

Bought this because I was wanting a decent clean lager like Brooklyn Lager. This is too expensive a beer to have adjunct but my first thought after the pour was uh-oh, corn. Mostly malt and very hard to detect hops. Tastes like a macro to me, needs more hops for sure. As it warms it starts to get unpleasant. I'll not buy this again. (334 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -35.4%

1/3 beer and 1/3 head as poured into a pint glass. Light tan head disolves into a considerable amount of lace left on the glass. Body is a honey gold in color. Nose hits first with slight tangy hops than quickly yields to raw wheat and mineral feel, but very light. After first sip I must say I had to scan the label to make sure this one wasnt secretly produced by one of the Big three(come to find out it is affiliated). Overall bland, with just a tease of what would be considered "wild hops". Slightly bitter earthy feel is very soft on the mouthfeel. Drinkable as you would expect from a bland lager. (605 characters)

Why do I do this to myself? I look suspiciously at the label, which looks a little too macro-fako-micro-y. Still, it's organic, I haven't heard of it, it's cheap ($1.20 for a single 12 ounce bottle), so I chance it.

Pours a very fizzy light amber, bright, clear, with active visible carbonation. Medium dense white head, leaves some thick lacing, maintains reasonably well.

Aroma is slightly spicy and malty, but limited.

Taste is crisp, metallic, light caramel malt sweetness, minimal hop character. Blah. Blah.

Mouthfeel is slightly slick, and actiuve carbonation.

Pretty damn mediocre. Not horrendous, but we'll see when it warms from low-cellar temp (48) to the low 60s. (694 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -34.1%

Appears a light copper amber hue with an off white decen sized head dwindles pretty quickly carbonation is large bubbled and lacing is sporadic and sparse on my glass. Aroma has soft bready sweetness touch of caramel malt with a light hop profile definitely shouldn't be called "wild" hop maybe "tame" hop would be more appropriate pretty boring. Flavor is really mild grainy sweetness no real hop profile here touch of herbal mix of grassiness with a light toasted caramel malt flavor, very boring and tame at eight bucks a sixer I'll pass. Mouthfeel is light bodied carbonation is a bit too high and somewhat sharp on the palate. Drinkabiltiy is low my crave factor to have or want another is nonexistent, I'll pass on this one in the future. (744 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -33.4%

12 oz bottle picked up in a mix & match.
Poured into a pils glass. Color is a dirty straw with lazy streamers of carbonation. Mild head for a lager, no real retention.
Smell is barely noticeable. Slightly yeasty and grain. Taste is a bit bubble gummy. Not really what I expected.
Overall, just kind of blah. (311 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -30.5%

Picked this up in a single bin at Whole Foods. I hope that becomes a regular feature (and that they reduce the pricing). I had foolishly forgotten that I had tried this brewery's [terrible] pale ale. Oh well.

Actually doesn't look bad, pours a bright golden orange with an inch or two of white foam. Smells vaguely of sweet malt. Actually, it really doesn't smell like much.

The taste is just a muddled mess. A bit of malt (which is either slightly skunked, or has a dour earthy component I don't care for), and maybe a bit of hops, but I can't be sure. Just. not. good.

A little too watery. (595 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -29.2%

Appearance: It's golden in color and arrived with a foamy one-finger head. Retention was short and very light lacing remained.

Smell: It mostly has an earthy, grainy type smell. There's a touch of corn aroma in addition. I really think the hops in this beer are not that noticeable. I was expecting more from the name, but they're fairly light on the nose.

Taste: It's okay. Not all that different from a macro. Mostly an earthy taste with a touch of corn in there. But, it does have more of a sweet taste than is typical of most macros. Again, hops are weak. Not very bitter at all. It's also tastes a bit watered down.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and goes down easy enough. But, it doesn't taste that good. Definitely not something I'd want to session. Overall, it's not very good. This was my first experience with an organic beer. I'm not antsy to try another. (887 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -28.9%

I was really hoping for more than this. This is so frustrating...I KNOW A-B is capable of producing a quality beer with flavor...to be brutally honest, they're probably more capable of it than anyone else on the planet. But they seem to want to just throw some crap together to say they have it. What's the deal here? Anyway, on to the review.

A - Light orange color, respectable white head. High point of this beer.

S - Very faint smell of hops. No discernible malt aroma.

T - Again, no hop flavor, just the barest hint of maltiness.

M - Thin, insipid. Nice carbonation, though. And it's clean.

D - Again, WTF? Why would they go to the trouble of producing and marketing a product meant to compete with craft brews, that's below the standards of almost all of the competition? They have the resources to make OUTSTANDING beer, but they choose to make sub-par dreck. I just don't get it. Needless to say, I won't be buying it again. (947 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -28.6%

So who brews this beer? Green Valley, Crooked Creek, or Anheuser Busch.
Looks decent enough. Nice brass/copper color with a solid half inch of sticky white head that quickly recedes to a whiff of lace on top. Ok a full minute later it no longer looks decent. Now it looks copper and watery. It was just a tease.
Smells like mildly buttered corn.
Taste some malt, corn and grain. Where's the hops. Wild Hop is in the name of the beer isn't it?
Thin and watery in the mouthfeel.
Drinkable as a lawn mower beer.
Don't think I'll try this one again. I think most of us are suckered into buying this beer thinking it's a new organic craft beer we haven't seen yet. When in reality it is really just Anheuser Busch trying to sucker us into buying a beer that we think is a craft brewed organic beer with lot's of hop flavors. The marketing works the beer doesn't (862 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -26.3%

This beer poured crystal clear and amber brown with a descent level of carbonation. The head that was produced was an off white pillowy foam, thick and sticky and good density of bubbles. The head lasted a good way down the glass until it fell to virtually nothing with nothing left even clinging to the sides. This was pretty much the highlight of the beer. The aroma was almost non existent, some light malt and a hint of hops but that was it on the nose. The taste was pretty much like the nose, some malt, hops and finished light with fading taste that left you pallet very fast. The body was light on the tongue and in the mouth. Drink-ability maybe again depending on the menu, and I might give it a chance since this could have been a bad batch, but I will wait and see. (777 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -24.4%

This beer is a clear straw color with a thin white head and minimal lacing. Mild (not wild) hops aroma with a touch of grain. Light-bodied and crisp with subtle hops and musty malt flavoring. I don’t know if pesticides would help the flavor but I doubt they would hurt much. The finish is mildly bitter and short, and there is a lingering sweetness afterward. Below average all around, which unfortunately seems to be the case with most organic beers. (452 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -24%

Got this as a Christmas gift. Not an especially notable product.
Clear amber head dissipated very quickly, no veil. Aroma, hello where are you? Light flavor, I guess it was to be expected from this quasi AB product.
Carbonation seemed to be the strong point of this beer for me. No thanks, no more for me. Try a Peak brewing product if you want to go organic. (361 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours from 12oz bottle a clear gold with a small head of foam that shrinks quickly. A few minutes in and there's just a fine ring around the edge of the glass.

The smell has a nice hoppy smell to it.

The taste is nice and hoppy up front but it doesn't really hang around very long and what's left is a touch of grain and even that doesn't last. My, this is a pretty flavourless Lager in my book.

Bottom line: There are lots of better samples of the style. I cannot recommend this one. (495 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -22.1%

Amber in color with loads of prickle and no discernible head. Classic "beer" nose, nothing out of the ordinary or noteworthy. The mouthfeel is nice and crisp and I would say refreshing. As a matter of fact I found the mouthfeel to be the highlight of this beer other than the "organic" labeling. The flavor shifts to a flat and earthy flavor. Unfortunately the best comparison I can make for the flavor is day old keg beer. . . like the stuff you try to drink the day after the keg party, but didn't quite keep warm enough. (523 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -21.8%

Pristine coppery pumpkin with a host of large bubbles hurrying up to a beige cap that looks a little ragged. The head reminds me of the heads on poor quality macro lagers, with its soft, mealy, unsticky texture and almost complete lack of lace. It does last a while though, thanks to all that carbonation.

Why has a Vienna lager been given the name Wild Hop? Either the brewers are intentionally misleading us and have brewed a classic Vienna lager or they've hopped the beer beyond all reasonable sense. The first option is the more likely. After the sniff test, I'd have to say that it's neither. Wild Hop smells nothing like the stated style. In fact, it doesn't smell like much at all.

I can kinda, sorta appreciate the stab at the Vienna lager style. It's a wild, off-balance stab that completely misses the mark, however. There's a trace of mildly toasted, modestly earthy, probably Munich, maltiness that acts as the (blurry) focal point. I might be able to pick up a hint of spicy noble hops, but I can't be sure.

I'm certain that hops are present, because the beer is much more bitter than a beer of this style should be. Some amount of malty sweetness would improve things considerably. Things dry out impressively on the back end and finish with a saliva-sucking aridity that borders on annoying.

The mouthfeel favors the lighter end of the style spectrum and those big, soda-like bubbles contribute much more fizziness than is tolerable. I had hoped that they'd have burned themselves out by now, but they're still going strong. That, along with the bitterness, makes me think that I'm drinking beer-flavored tonic water.

I didn't expect Wild Hop Lager to compare favorably to Eliot Ness or Sams Adams Boston Lager. Hell, I didn't even expect it to hang with Bohemia. On the other hand, I didn't expect the lousy beer that I just finished either. It's my own damn fault. After drinking Green Valley's Stone Mill Organic Pale Ale, this one shouldn't have been any great surprise. (2,006 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -20.5%

"Brewed and bottled by Green Valley Brewing Company. Fairfield, CA".

12 oz brown bottle.

Thin, burnt copper in color. Fizzy, off-white head that lacks retention leaving zero lacing.

Lightly sweetened adjunctory ingredients: rice, corn husks, cabbage. Astringent, musty floral hop aroma.

Faint caramel, toasted malt. Musty wheat, rough corn and rice flavors reminiscent of an American macro. An astringent, grainy bitterness is followed by a boiled cabbage, adjunctory-tasting aftertaste. The 'wild hops' are seemingly absent from my pint.

Light in body; airy and grainy on the palate. Intensely carbonated.

An A-B product? I have to plead ignorance when I picked this up as there is no mention of this being made by the world macro superpower. Needless to say it took only a few sips to uncover the Busch similarity, and for me to make pennance to the God's of Good Beer. (890 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Trying to figure out the purpose of this beer and I can't do it. Considering the resources behind the brewery they could do anything and instead you get this: a lightly hoppy, light bodied lager with light body, very little character, almost no head and no lace. Fruity. Nice clear amber color tho for what that's worth. (320 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

Tried this in bottle from a Ruby Tuesday's.

Appearance and smell was of a standard lager, a little behind a Sam Adams which seems to be the most obvious comparison. Had a very strong metallic taste to me that didn't seem to belong. Interesting, but not something I would really try again. (289 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint.

Pours a clear dark straw. Head is immense!! I poured over onto myself with a mildly aggressive pour. Dies quickly and leaves a small amount of spotting.

Smell is very mild, not too much to talk about here.

Taste is malty and coppery with a small hop backing. Not much to talk about here, it's just not that great.

Mouthfeel is average, not dry but not sweet, kind of in the middle. Watery, not much body.

Drinkability is good as it's so watery....if you can get past the taste.

Overall, not that great. An OK beer, but nothing to remember. (588 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a clear, skinny red amber with a foamy one finger head

S - Corn grits, fusel alcohol notes on top of subtle citrus hops

T - Lemon zest, grassy hops, macro-lager

M - Thin, very watery

D - It's decent offering from a Macro brewery. If they want to keep this sort of thing up, I won't complain. It's better than Busch or Bud, and any presence other than that in the chain grocery aisles is a plus in my mind. (428 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden copper with perfect clarity. Fizzy one finger head shows poor retention and no lacing. Weak nose, hint of lager malt and toasted Munich. Flash of pilsener upfront, followed by sweet Munich and a touch of grainy Vienna. Curious stawberry fruit notes pop up briefly to be washed away by subtle dextrins. Drying aftertaste, hint of german hop flavor but mostly just bland bitterness that is somewhat underbalanced. Thin in body, and medium-highly carbonated. Finishes mostly clean- just a bit grainy with a light residual sweetness mostly from the dextrins. A strange and fairly underwhelming Vienna lager, I wonder if this was how it was brewed before A-B took over. (677 characters)

Wild Hop Organic Amber Lager from Green Valley Brewing Company (Crooked Creek)