Wild Hop Organic Amber Lager - Green Valley Brewing Company (Crooked Creek)

Wild Hop Organic Amber LagerWild Hop Organic Amber Lager

Green Valley Brewing Company (Crooked Creek) visit their website

Vienna Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-11-2006)
1.7/5  rDev -44.3%

Bottle at the Mundelein beer tasting.

Pours clear and amber. Smells and tastes light and ineffectual-- kind of like a macro lager. Very little in the way flavor and aroma outside of a generic beer taste. Name notwithstanding, there is only the vaguest suggestion of hop bitterness in the finish-- and I might have made that up.

If this is organic beer, give me a glass of DDT.

3.45/5  rDev +13.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Nice amber coloring. White head that leaves lacing on the glass.

Toasted malts and big floral hop smell.

Medium body with nice carbonation. Nice big malt taste, toasted with a slighty nuttiness. Spices, herbs, and hops are there throughout the brew. Bitterness is well balanced and the finish is trying to be sweet and creamy.

A good brew but not something that I would drink all the time. Definitely worth a try.

2.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Served in a 12oz brown bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden with a short light head.
Smell: Slight fruitiness with heavily grainy smell.
Taste: Underwhelming but harmless enough. Might quench your thirst after two or three, but one just makes you wonder what else could be there. Fairly light with a hint of grain and sweet malt finish.
Mouthfeel: Too carbonated and a bit thin.
Drinkability: Nothing special here -- would not go out of your way to find this one but nothing bad here.

3.15/5  rDev +3.3%

Green Valley Brewing's organic Wild Hop Lager pours out a fluffy head
over a clear, deep gold brew. The nose is malt and hebal hop, and carb-
onation is steady. The mouthfeel is smooth- almost creamy, and the flavor
is slightly sweet malt up front with a lemon hop finish. There's nothing really
big or extreme here, just a smooth, modest, and refreshing beer.

2.98/5  rDev -2.3%

This is a clear, light bronze-colored beer with very little head and some effervescence. There is a very light, fruity, hop aroma. This beer has a soft taste. Hop fruit pushes up through sweet, bready, base. This lager is a little on the maltier side. This beer does actually do a decent job of foregrounding hops without any real attendant bitterness. I'll take it over many american lagers, and I'm glad this is a getting a foothold in bars in my area.

2.98/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance - honey gold pour, a slightly off-white head of a finger or so. The suds have a bit of stick to them as they melt down, leaving a creamy looking surface.

Aroma - bright grainy nose initially. A touch of toastiness comes through as it settles, but for the most part is vague and understated.

Taste - some roasted grain and a weak lemony flavor make the first impressions. Mid-palate shows decent toasted grain character, though more would be better to quell that lemony bit. The aftertaste isn't too bad, a touch soapy but shows off the grains well enough.

Mouthfeel - a little too carbonated for my liking. The bubbles get in the way, taking on a tonic water effect that diminishes the roasty element. Body is a bit thin, too.

Drinkability - for a Vienna, I like a fuller body and a maltier, more roasted flavor. The sixer's about gone but I'm not in the market for another one.

3.1/5  rDev +1.6%

This pours amber, slightly darker than a typical macro beer. Similar foam characteristics too.

Smells like a typical macro.

Tastes like a typical macro with a slightly enhanced malt backing.

Mouthfeel is like typical macro, maybe slightly cleaner.

Finish is clean. At least there is no bad aftertaste.

This beer is ok. Not great, not offensive, better than miller but not worth going out of your way for.

2.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Wild Hop Organic Amber Lager pours a light orange color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There's not much to the aroma, maybe the slightest hint of hops. Flavor wise, this is a mildly sweet lager, maybe a little bit of hops are noticeable, but not a whole lot. Easy drinking, but nothing special. Maybe a bit more enjoyable than a typical macro lager.

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Clear amber hue with a light red tint. A one finger off-white head that slowly settle to a thick cap.

Sharp grapefruit-like hops aromas dominate, with only hints of grain in the background.

A mix of cracker like malts along with somewhat tame piney hop flavor. Medium bodied with high carbonation. The finish is papery with a little bit of the grainy malt lingering, and hints of hop bitterness. The overall taste of the finish is relatively sweet.

Comprable to a somewhat tame American Pale Ale, this one is hard to get behind. The mediocre amount of hops just doesn't mix well with the low amount of esters found in a lager.

3.63/5  rDev +19%

I've only had a couple of organic beers before this one, but this is the first I've considered drinkable. Very pretty lager, clear, reddish, and with a huge, wonderful froth on the top. Doesn't smell like much, perhaps a tad metallic. Taste is a dash sweet with a rather subdued hop flavor that makes this beer drinkable and enjoyable, if not overwhelmingly impressive.

There's few good organic beers out there, and this is one I can get behind.

2.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a very clear golden-copper color with a thin, white, bubbly head. The smell is not very apparent, but is sweet with amber and pale malts. The taste starts with a very light sweetness which quickly transitions to slightly bitter and finishes that way. Earthy, grassy hops are detectable. Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a hint of mouth-burning carbonation. This is a decently drinkable beer, I would drink it again but I will not buy a second time.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

(This review is of the 3.2 ABW version (4.0% ABV) sold in Oklahoma grocery stores. The normal version of this beer is 5.0% ABV according to the brewer's website. I paid $7.99 for a six pack at Albertson's.)

I had enjoyed the Stone Mill Pale Ale (another A-B organic offering) and hoped to also enjoy this organic beer. Unfortunately I didn't think it was near as good.

The appearance is very good. Sorta a light brownish-amber copper color, clear as you would expect from a lager, and nice white head that settles down pretty quickly.

The aroma is non-descript. No hops that I can tell and almost smells like a macro. The flavor continues with the theme. Even though the label says that there are no adjucts, I'm getting the weird macro aftertaste going on. I can taste the grain which is nice though. It's sorta grassy.

The hops are disappointing. There are a decent amount of bitter hops but I can't pick out any floral hops at all.

Compared to other Macro beers, this is a way above average. Compared to quality European lagers, this is a disappointment. I do look forward to drinking other organic beers (and again I did like the Pale Ale from this same brewer), but I doubt I would buy this one again.

I also do wonder if my review would be the same for a regular alcohol strength version of the beer. Compared to other 3 point beers for sale in Oklahoma, it ain't half bad. The only ones better are Shiner Bock, Amber Bock, Boulevard Wheat, and Blue Moon.

Also for more info on A-B's organic beers go to this story from the San Francisco Chronicle...

2.23/5  rDev -26.9%

So who brews this beer? Green Valley, Crooked Creek, or Anheuser Busch.
Looks decent enough. Nice brass/copper color with a solid half inch of sticky white head that quickly recedes to a whiff of lace on top. Ok a full minute later it no longer looks decent. Now it looks copper and watery. It was just a tease.
Smells like mildly buttered corn.
Taste some malt, corn and grain. Where's the hops. Wild Hop is in the name of the beer isn't it?
Thin and watery in the mouthfeel.
Drinkable as a lawn mower beer.
Don't think I'll try this one again. I think most of us are suckered into buying this beer thinking it's a new organic craft beer we haven't seen yet. When in reality it is really just Anheuser Busch trying to sucker us into buying a beer that we think is a craft brewed organic beer with lot's of hop flavors. The marketing works the beer doesn't

2.55/5  rDev -16.4%

Medium orange/amber with a large, off-white, frothy head that diminishes to a thick film fairly quickly. Decent amount of stringy lacing Smell is of sweet hay and grain, a little spruce-like hops and a bit of sweaty yeast. Taste is citrusy right away, then the malt flavors are dominant. Caramel and grain with a weak grainy finish. It has a medium-thin body, watery texture and moderate-low carbonation. The words “wild hop” are twice the size of any other words on the label and placed on a banner of red to really make those words jump out at you….. what the heck are they doing that for on the label of a beer that is hops-wise quite tame?!

2.3/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours from 12oz bottle a clear gold with a small head of foam that shrinks quickly. A few minutes in and there's just a fine ring around the edge of the glass.

The smell has a nice hoppy smell to it.

The taste is nice and hoppy up front but it doesn't really hang around very long and what's left is a touch of grain and even that doesn't last. My, this is a pretty flavourless Lager in my book.

Bottom line: There are lots of better samples of the style. I cannot recommend this one.

Vienna lager? Don't know about that. I'd say All-Malt American lager, which is the basis for my review. And don't let the name "Wild Hop" trick you into thinking you are in store for a hoppy experience. This is a lager, and the hop levels are low.

Yellow gold in appearance, not too much head.

Not much going on aroma wise. There is little malty flavor in the profile-Malt american lager. Crisp and clean, mild.

I'd say worth a try, but not at great expense. Try to find it as a single. I bought mine as a single, in a wine bar of all places, at the exorbitant price of $4.50. I don't feel strongly compelled to try it again, so I figure I saved myself from shelling out $7, the going rate for a 6-pack at the local liquor stores.

3.2/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer pours a very clear golden orange. there was a fair head that popped like Rice Crispies. The smell is metallic. I am a machinest and this beer smells somewhat like machined aluminum. The taste is smooth for the style. A refreshing beer that would certainly be good on a hot afternoon. Drinkability is good, as is typical of the style. I could down a sixer of these and still be good. Not a great beer, but average for what it is. Drinakable and refreshing.

3.38/5  rDev +10.8%

I do my best to try and hopefully really enjoy anything that strives for the goal of totally organic. I havn't been able to fall in love with Organic Beer or Wine however.

AP: A totally clear and active light-amber with a thin, bubbly, pure-white head that dissipated quickly to a thin cap.

Nose: A mildly sweet and wheatie scented malt with a whiff of yeast. A very subtle herbal scented hop is detected way down deep.

Taste: A pleasant but a bit thin and mildly sweet malt dominated flavor with hints of nutmeg and an herbalized, wheatie flavor. There is a very subtle hop flavor that pops out at the very end.

MF: A rather light bodied brew with a mildly crisp and smooth feeling. A tad bit thin on overall.

DA: I tried.

2.6/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden copper with perfect clarity. Fizzy one finger head shows poor retention and no lacing. Weak nose, hint of lager malt and toasted Munich. Flash of pilsener upfront, followed by sweet Munich and a touch of grainy Vienna. Curious stawberry fruit notes pop up briefly to be washed away by subtle dextrins. Drying aftertaste, hint of german hop flavor but mostly just bland bitterness that is somewhat underbalanced. Thin in body, and medium-highly carbonated. Finishes mostly clean- just a bit grainy with a light residual sweetness mostly from the dextrins. A strange and fairly underwhelming Vienna lager, I wonder if this was how it was brewed before A-B took over.

3.58/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a clear golden amber color with a tall off-white head that settles into a heavy thick lace that sticks to the sides of the glass in rings as you drink. Nose is toasted malt, fresh grain, and floral hops. Taste begins in much the same way with toasted malt and nutty grains followed by some herbal grassy hops. Mouthfeel is a bit thin perhaps. Otherwise, it’s an easy-drinking decent brew.

3.55/5  rDev +16.4%

What a surprise. Green Valley Brewing Company aka A_B does a decent job. Like Sam Adams it is not what some of our local micros are capable of but it is actually hopped.

Appearance: Pours clear copper with a white head.

Smell: Grassy hops are pleasant with a dull malt and grain attribute.

Taste: Sweet to start with a notable bitterness. not the bold fresh hop flavor I would hope for but a worthy attempt nonetheless, and for a Macro-ish Vienna Lager it is quite respectable.

Mouthfeel: It is a light weight. A bit over carbonated but again not bad.

Drinkability: Like many other middle of the road almost craft beers this is a drinkable step up and if served at a party I would gladly drink several.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.78/5  rDev -8.9%

I bought this beer at our local fancy grocery store called Brunos. It was expensive (around $8) a six pack, but common for this store. I was interested in the fact it was organic. As a homebrewer, I've put fertilizer on my Cascade hops I'm growing, so even when I use those I'm not "organic". I'm wondering how that affects the beer. Maybe I'll try to grow some organic hops and buy some organic grain. I have a feeling that you will get less alpha acids from the hops, so you will have to use more. I could be wrong, and this beer may be proof of it.
This beer pours with a slightly darkened straw color (I'd guess an SRM of around 8~9). The head disintegrates rapidly after pouring, leaving just a film of foam on the top.
I taste a lot of bittering hops, and a little flavoring hops. I also get a kind of sourness that I've only tasted before in pale ales that sat on the shelf too long. It tastes a little more like an ale or steam beer than a lager. I can't quite pick out the malt bill, but probably 97% or so pale, and a little bit of red for specialty. It doesn't taste too complex.
Mouthfeel is typical of a pale ale.
Drinkability is a little rough for this one. This isn't a session beer for sure, but you can definitely have more than one in an evening.
I think the organic brewers need to work on this recipe some more before they convince people that organic beers are good.

3.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Looks nice enough; a rich amber color but not much head or lacing.
Smells of herbal hop and grains. Taste is very much in that vein with some earthyness.
The mouthfeel is a little abrasive.. reminds me a bit of a dirty hippie.
This could stand to be more refreshing and drinkable but it's not too shabby, especially with being affiliated with Bud.
Not an awful idea if it's dirt cheap but otherwise you're better off with a Boston or Brooklyn Lager.

3.28/5  rDev +7.5%

I have no idea what the helium-double-hockey-sticks "organic" is supposed to mean, but that doesn't detract from (or add to) this beer. Wild Hop has an inviting amber color, a little bit of beer smell, and a crisp, simple taste with a touch of bitter. Not superb, but overall a nice beer that is worth a try. Maybe you can bring it to an Earth Day party.

2.42/5  rDev -20.7%

Got this as a Christmas gift. Not an especially notable product.
Clear amber head dissipated very quickly, no veil. Aroma, hello where are you? Light flavor, I guess it was to be expected from this quasi AB product.
Carbonation seemed to be the strong point of this beer for me. No thanks, no more for me. Try a Peak brewing product if you want to go organic.

Wild Hop Organic Amber Lager from Green Valley Brewing Company (Crooked Creek)