Mr. Delicious Double IPA - Arbor Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 76 | Reviews: 18
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

A solid double IPA worth a drink

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Copper, orange, slight amber, 1 finger white head.

Smell - Orange and pineapple, malt, not a lot of alcohol.

Taste - Pineapple, orange, tangerine, some oily resin at first, moves on to character from the malt backing, roasty, biscuity, and then finally I get some more resin, pine, bitter flavors and then it settles.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, medium carbonation, refreshing

Overall - Good beer. Definitely not dissipointed and having said that this is also not one that will be breaking into the favorite category. Enjoyable, might buy again next year.

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

You would think that Raul would only be into California beach bunnies, but let me tell you: no way, no how! The main man loves all the girlies from all the regions of the world. And that's where Mr. Delicious comes in; this isn't a SoCal, West Coast IPA that Raul is used to. Uh huh. No way! This thang is dark and almost copper in color. It's a bit syrupy, a bit creamy, and a bit good!

Yeah buddy! Not the best, but Raul likes it quite well.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Arbor Brewing Company's Mr. Delicious Double IPA a few days ago for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I think Arbor is pretty solid, but I don't think I've had a double IPA from them and i'm interested to see what they can do with this style, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label isn't the greatest, it looks pretty cheesy, but I think that's why they were going for. It poured a cloudy dark orange color that took on more of a darker golden orange color with two and a half fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy rings of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking DIPA, i have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of hops that impart a grassy, spicy, and slightly floral hop aroma with citrus and tropical fruit aromas seeming to stick out the most and they make for a pretty nice hop profile that's a little complex. Up next comes a grainy, slightly bready and caramel malt like aroma that are on the lighter side and are overpowered by the hops. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it was heavy on the fruity hops and I thought that worked well in this beer.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that borders on being highly sweet and it was followed by loads of hops being the first to show up and they impart all those aspects that I got in the aroma with the fruity hop aromas still sticking out the most, but not as much as they did in the aroma since the hops profile seem to be a little more balanced in the taste. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, slightly grainy, slightly bready, and caramel malt like flavors, On the finish there's a lower amount of high bitterness with a fruity hop aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting DIPA, but I wish the fruity hops stuck out as much as they did in the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, the bitterness doesn't linger, oily, pretty sticky, on the full side of being medium bodied and it's on the border of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel, but it was a little too sticky.'

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a good example of a DIPA, it had most of the things that I look for in the style and it satisfied my craving for a hoppy DIPA. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, the alcohol was hidden well, it was a little filling, but the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink two of these in a row, but it might start to wear on me after that, so I think two would be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, I thought they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the sticky mouthfeel, it was a little sticker than I would like a DIPA to be. I might buy this beer again, it's not the kind of DIPA that I have to rush to the store and buy more of but i wouldn't mind drinking it if none of my favorite DIPA's were around. I would recommend this to any DIPA fan. All in all I thought this was a pretty solid DIPA, It's not my favorite DIPA, but there really ins't anything wrong with it. Good job guys, I enjoyed this one, keep up the good work.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured this undated 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. (reviewed from notes). The body was a hazy orange/amber. The dense yellowy head settled to a thick cap leaving rings of lace in the glass. Impressive.

The smell was of hard candy. Bready.

The taste was citrus and pine. Some alcohol was evident. Orange rind. Pretty malty sweet, but it does dry out in the finish.

The mouthfeel was somewhat slick. Oily. Medium to full bodied. Modest carbonation. A pleasant surprise.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: deep burnt orange color. fairly hazy and opaque. off white head of about a finger that fades slowly and leaves a lacing on the sides with a little on the top as well

Smell: slight pine along with citrus hops. some malty sweetness

Taste: opens up with citrus, pine and resin hop flavors. malty backbone arises with pale, bready and slightly sweet malts.

Mouthfeel: medium body. sticky resiny hops. and a bit of lingering bitterness.

Overall: I had this one on tap at the brewery about a year ago before i was too into DIPA's and enjoyed it the. reminds me a bit of a double Buzzsaw. Another great IPA from the Arbor Brewing line-up. They just be my favorite IPA brewery, if you ignore sacred cow.

3.57/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I tried this one on recommendation of my beer guy. It Pours a hazy copper brown with a one finger off white head that lasts substantially longer than most and gives way to an off white lacing. The aroma on this beer is surprising for an ipa. More malt than hops. The flavor is consistent with that assessment, being sweeter and maltier than your typical double ipa. It is still a very enjoyable offering but not packing the hoppy bitter punch that one expects from a double ipa. This is a well crafted beer but seems more Apa than ipa. I'm not sure if it is one that I would return to often...If at all.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a deep burnt orange with a one-finger white head. Heavy sticky lacing.

S - Heavy citrus - pineapple & orange and some malty sweetness.

T - Taste follows the aroma. A nice burst of citrus and sweet malt upfront. The finish has a nice amount of resinous hops.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Sticky & dry mouthfeel.

O - This is an above average DIPA. Deinetly worth trying.

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a single 12 oz bottle on lark when shopping at Sicilianos. I liked the label art and the name. No visible bottling date, or ABV, or IBU markings.

L: Pours a deep opaque amber color. Big head from a slightly aggressive pour. Lacing lingers through out the tasting.
S: A double IPA that smells maybe like a single IPA. I don't know, maybe my nose is off but I'm having trouble picking up any predominant smells. Maybe an understated grapefruit citrus, but that's it.
T: Nice, honey brewed, DIPA. Trying to be Lagunitas Maximus or Bell's Hopslam. Falls bit short. Very good, but not great DIPA.
F: Slightly sticky on the tongue, as expected from this style.
O: I would be interested in trying this one again. Maybe We'll try this one on tap on my next visit to the Big House.

Solid beer

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but is a recent release. Pours hazy/cloudy orange amber color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big pineapple, tangerine, lemon zest, peach, orange peel, floral, grass, light caramel, light pine, bread, and floral earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of bright hop and moderate malt notes; with good strength. Taste of big pineapple, tangerine, peach, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, floral, grass, light caramel, bread, and floral earthiness. Good amount of floral/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of tangerine, pineapple, peach, lemon/orange zest, pine, floral, grass, light caramel, bread, and floral earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity of bright citrus/tropical hops with moderate malt balance; with a good malt/bitterness balance and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a lightly creamy, crisp, and sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice DIPA. Good balance and complexity of bright hops and moderate malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to sip on for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Picked up at Beer Baron in Livonia, Michigan.

A - Pours hazy, dark orange. Retains a little bit of off-white head throughout the whole time. Laces the glass a little bit, though lacing did not stick. Not as much as their Buzzsaw laced the glass.

S - Smells sweet and malty. A bit of pine.
Tropical citrus smell. Pineapple/mango. Tangerine?

T - This is on the sweeter side of double IPAs. Juicy, tropical fruit flavors (I guess about same as the smell) from the hops and a sweet kind of caramel malt taste. Little bit of alcohol warmth, but the taste of it is mostly covered pretty well. While it starts off with a sweetness, it ends with some hop bitterness. It is fairly drinkable, although the sweetness may slow some down a bit.

M - Medium or so bodied. Oily/sticky.
Pretty good mouthfeel.

O - Pretty solid DIPA. Does a good enough job at living up to the "Mr. Delicious" name and fulfilling my want for a tropical (D)IPA. Good offering from Arbor Brewing, worth the try if you like this style of beer.

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A very nice golden hue with a decent head that dissipated not too quickly. The aroma has a hint of barrel aged (even though it's not) with a hint of floral hops. The taste follows: a pleasant balance between malt and hops, with a lingering sweet grapefruit.

It's good to find another beer that I like from ABC which is local to me. I'll look for this one again as I'm becoming a fan of DIPAs.

3.62/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, honey, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus fruit and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice citrus hop presence that comes through better in the aroma.

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Pours a tawny burnt orange with a frothy oily white head. Nice retention and stick.

S - Fresh hops, citrus, oily and dank, fruity.

T - A really soft and smooth mouth feel for a DIPA, oily and resinous hop profile, malts for balance, lingering dry and bitter finish.

O - Solid DIPA - this is definitely worth a try if you can find it.

Notes - I've never considered myself a trailblazer, but his may be my first Beer on BA that I'm the first to write a full review.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

AP: Murky orange, like 6 month old pennies. Decent thin foamy head with lacing that sticks the length of the glass AR: smells like caramel topped pineapple upside down cake. Over ripe tropical fruit, mostly mango and pineapple. TA: follows the aroma. Pineapple, mango and grapefruit predominate with some orange rind mixed in. Sweet bready caramel malts. Finishes with a nice sticky resinous bite. MF: sticky and oily. Coats but doesn't stick. OV: really good representation of a super fruity DIPA.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

$5.50 for a pint at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan.

Mr. Delicious pours sort of an orange sort of color... a bit hard for me to remember as I had a BIIIIT too much to drink after having this. Looked beautiful though with a finger or two of head and great lacing for much of the drink. Probably the best part of the beer. The smell and taste is also quite fruity/juicy, with a solid bitterness as well from piney notes. Medium thickness and medium-or-so carbonation. Really tasty stuff. The orange flavor with tropical notes really makes this a tasty juicy choice for fans of fruitier IPAs. The only thing about the brew is that while it has some solid characteristics and a nice flavor, I still feel like it needs "more." The alcohol is hidden flawlessly, as it drinks like a 6 or maybe 7% beer.

I haven't had many at all from Arbor, but this is the best of theirs that I have had. I'd definitely order it again. Very good.

3.77/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer is dark orange and hazy with a thick, soapy white head. The aroma brings sweet citrus, candied fruits. The flavor confirms that this is a sweet beer. sweet breads and sugary pineapple and mango. Some alcohol warmth in the finish. Bitter hops gain strength as I progress through the beer. There is a nice balance here that shouldn't be overlooked. While a bit sweet and malty for my personal tastes, this is a decent beer. Elegant bready, malty body supports sweet resinous hops. Worth a try.

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

meh, a decent floral IPA that was WAY overpriced for what it is. looks & smells nice, tastes like a floral cent. hop IPA, which is fine. but it's been done better.
took a shot & wasn't disappointed, but it's not something I'd shell out $16 a 6 pack for.
I'll waste my money on an abbey if I feel spend-y again one day.
worth a try if you are REALLY into IPAs though.

to view more.