Arbor Brewing Espresso Love - Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing Espresso LoveArbor Brewing Espresso Love

good

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arbor Brewing Espresso Love Alström Bros
Ohiovania

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smell is great. stout-goodness with coffee.

The mouth feel is pretty on par. I would like a little more viscosity on it I guess.

The taste leaves something to be desired. i want more coffee I think and a little more from the stout as well.

I would drink this one again if I could. This beer is actually pretty huge for only being a standard american stout.

Well done ABC.

11-22-2011 02:18:44 | More by Another6Pack
mactrail

Washington

2.7/5  rDev -16.7%

Heavy on the java and some kind of chocolate flavor. It does have the dregs of the coffee pot and touch of sourness, maybe from all the burnt malt. Big, coarse foam, though it provides long-lasting suds in the glass. Kind of a soured wine smell. Heavy in the mouth, strong and acidic flavors.

I am fortunate to share this 12 oz and not feel obliged to drink it all. Back to the chemistry set on this one.

10-29-2011 01:59:30 | More by mactrail
morimech

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown color with one inch of head that slowly settled to a thin skim of suds. Not much lacing is left on the glass.

Starts off with a rich coffee aroma. But as time passes the aroma sort of dies off. Not much of an aroma after the initial blast. Faint hint of spice.

Has some nice coffee flavor but this beer does not back up its stout claim. Tastes more of a brown ale with a little nuttiness and no roasted malt.

Classified as an oatmeal stout but lacks the wonderful mouthfeel of one. Thin and watery. Not stout strength.

Beer started out strong right out of the gate, but the scores quickly lowered as I got deeper into this beer.

10-08-2011 14:41:58 | More by morimech
superspak

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, no bottle date. Pours clear dark brown color with an instant 3-4 fingers of foamy tan head with decent retention, that reduces to a thin cap of lacing. A little bit of lacing clings to the glass as well. Aromas of dark fruits, molasses, dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and caramel. Some interesting and decent aromas here, but it is definitely improving as it warms up. Taste of espresso, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and caramel; with a bit of dark fruits and molasses. Finish is a bit too dry for my liking, but there is lingering notes of dark chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, and caramel. Not much bitterness other than bitter coffee on the finish. Medium body and carbonation; with a decent creamy mouthfeel that goes down pretty smooth. No alcohol other than a warming on the finish noticed. Overall this is not as bold as I was hoping for because of my love of FBS, but this is a solid stout.

09-28-2011 02:59:30 | More by superspak
jlindros

2.78/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Despite the low rating, I was kinda looking forward to trying this. Thanks to THECPJ for it.

Pours a darker colored fizzy small head that disappears instantly leaving not even a trace that it existed in the first place. The beer is mostly black with a slight brownish thinning on the sides.

Nose is muted and a bit weird, adds some light oats, slight roasted malt and a bit of coffee, but it also has a weird chlorine pool water like aroma, and a hint of acrid coffee grinds.

Taste also comes a bit weird, with an acrid light coffee grind taste to start, very light oats and a bit creamy, but also a weird watery taste like diet corn sugar water, hard to describe, very light roast malt flavor and coffee. the malt profile just falls out of the bottom and its like they forgot the pale malts and just added LME/DME and a touch of coffee grinds with sprinkle of flaked oats. Finishes sticky and still very slightly sweet, pretty thin still with very little actual finish.

Mouth is thin feeling despite the slight oatmeal and creamy texture, very little carbonation as well.

Overall not very good at all, super thin with almost no malts, the oats are even very little, the coffee/espresso is just burnt acrid coffee grinds and little of it, the mouth is almost non-existent just a thin watery syrup like thing with no carbonation either, also no finish. And what's with that weird pool water aroma?!!

07-09-2011 16:49:02 | More by jlindros
Roke87

Ontario (Canada)

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz. bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature.

Appearance- Pours a murky dark brownish black colour with almost no light penetrating this one, even on the edges. Average pour yields a miniscule pinkie finger of tan mocha head that very quickly dissipates to a thin ring around the glass, leaving almost no lacing throughout till finish. I can also see lots of little bubbles at the top, it does look well carbonated; at first anyways, once it warmed up a little more they almost disappeared.

Smell- Lots of bitter coffee notes really dominate the nose from the start, I do get some nice sweet caramel aromas as well as a tiny little bit of roasted malt in there as well, but the espresso smells really take over from the start and don’t let go.

Taste- Very similar to the smell, the palate is dominated by that coffee flavour that never really wants to let go and let in other flavours. Although I do get some hints of roasted malts, less on the sweet caramel flavours, and a bit if chocolaty cocoa in there as well. Finishes with a weird aftertaste, and almost watery especially for something called a “breakfast stout”.

Mouthfeel- Very light bodied for a stout, almost watery if you will, upon looking at it after I poured it I thought this would have good carbonation but that was not the case once I got around to the tasting portion.

Overall- Not too sure what to think of this one, the pour looked promising at first but quickly turned into a weird murky brownish black hole, and again the carbonation looked good and almost completely disappeared once it warmed up a little more. The smells came through kind of promising again, I didn’t think the smells were all too bad to be honest; but once it got around to the tasting it completely went downhill. A watery mess that never really comes through on anything but the coffee, not to mention it leaves such a weird aftertaste in my mouth, I just can’t put my finger on what it is, but it is almost off putting. Not to mention when finished there was this weird looking sediment in the bottle of the glass. I think I overpayed for this one and would not return to it again in the future.

06-13-2011 04:34:20 | More by Roke87
THECPJ

Delaware

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown black with a 1 finger mocha head

smell: coffee, malts, roast,

taste: coffee, roast,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium to full body,

overall: not a bad beer, just nothing really stands out. glad I got to try it and give this brewing company a try.

Cheers,
The CPJ

06-11-2011 18:23:18 | More by THECPJ
sweatervest27

2.55/5  rDev -21.3%

Picked this one up on a recent trip to Ann arbor. Popped the top with almost no gas release, bad sign. Poured a very dark brown, not quite black and zero head. I didn't pour very aggressively so I swirled it a bit with no luck on producing any bubbles, hmm.

The smell is bringing my hopes back up, coffee is dominant with a little malt sweetness present. Although I'm a little confused, it doesn't have any of the bold and bitter punch that an espresso would have, its reminds me more of regular coffee served black. Not bad just not what expected given the name.

Unfortunately the taste is where that lack of carbonation really brings this beer down. It's extremely flat and therefore tastes like cold office coffee, yuck. I feel like some aeration would really open up some more intricate beer characteristics here but its just not possible being this flat.

Mouthfeel is just as bad-watery, cold coffee.

Overall its a real disappointment. The label is so beautifully done but it tastes like bad folgers. At least they didn't try putting an x in espresso. That's about the only positive I have for this one.

06-07-2011 23:15:18 | More by sweatervest27
StoutHunter

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

I picked up a bottle of Espresso Love a couple days ago for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. The only other beer I have had From Arbor Brewing Company was Brasserie Blonde, and I was pretty disappointed in that beer so I hope I have a much better experience with this one. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it looks like it could be a sign for a hippie coffee shop in Ann Arbor. It poured a pitch black color that didn't let any light come though. It had two fingers worth of fluffy tan head that quickly disappeared. Once the head dissipated it looked just like coffee.

S- The aroma of this beer is pretty one dimensional. It smells like straight up black coffee, nothing more and nothing less. I get more straight up black bitter coffee aroma then espresso aroma.

T- Just like the aroma the flavor is all about the coffee and it completely dominates this brew as I would expect from a beer called Espresso Love. At first the flavor is full of dark roasted bitter black coffee, but at the end I pick up some caramel and vanilla flavors that give it an espresso like after taste. Alcohol wasn't evident.

M- A little smooth and creamy. It was medium bodied but still felt a little watery. Carbonation was pretty low and unimpressive, it needed about twice as much carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good beer, but I don't think it comes close to hanging with the big dogs like Founders Breakfast Stout. They pretty much both have the same purpose of being a coffee tasting breakfast stout, but Espresso Love seemed to be a little more one dimensional. The flavors were pretty good and what I would expect but I would of liked more espresso flavors then just a glimpse of them on the aftertaste. I also wasn't impressed with the mouthfeel, it shouldn't have felt watery and should have had much more carbonation. This beer is much more available to me then all the other coffee beers I like so I could see picking this up again when I am in the mood for a coffee beer and none of my favorites are around or in season. If your a coffee beer lover then you should give it a try but its nothing to go out of the way for. This was the best beer I have had from Arbor Brewing Company, after trying their blonde I was a little hesitant to give them another chance but this beer turned out to be Ok.

06-01-2011 03:46:57 | More by StoutHunter
zoso1967

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%

Espresso Love “Breakfast Stout” (no doubt trying to cash in on another MI brewery’s fine product) pours a very murky looking dark brown that resembles a cloudy brown ale more than a stout. There is no head to speak of and it looks to be a bit on the flat side. The slight traces of foam on the top of the liquid are a medium tan in color. Surprisingly, this beer does leave some mediocre lace as I drink it.

The aroma is a definite improvement over the appearance. It smells of dark roast coffee, chocolate and a dash of caramel. The more I sniff it, the more I am impressed at the mocha notes I am picking up.

The coffee plays a bit more of a dominant role in the flavor, with that rich chocolaty character pushed much farther back. I would say that the flavor is fairly one dimensional and the brew comes across mainly as a slightly carbonated cold coffee with some malty beer like character.

The mouthfeel is pretty unimpressive. Medium bodied with a weak carbonation that leads to a slightly fizzy and acidic finish. Astringent coffee is the main aftertaste.

This is a pretty weak offering and possibly the worst coffee beer I have had. While I did find some things to enjoy in this brew, it is not one that I will be rushing out to purchase anytime soon. I will stick to FBS thank you very much.

05-04-2011 21:19:02 | More by zoso1967
genuinedisciple

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%

A: Pours as I thought it would, not black, but more of a deep brown. There is almost no foam, absolutely no lacing, and you can't tell that you even drank any beer cause the glass stays clean the whole way through.

S: You can smell the malts, but the coffee scent is not as strong as I thought it would be.

T: Maybe I got a bad one (doubtful), but I don't taste much sweetness. I suppose there is a bit of a sweet finish, but it's more of a bitter taste in the begin and middle (much like drinking coffee). It has a "homebrew taste" to it.

M: It changes throughout, but it is very light and leaves a boring/mundane aftertaste at best.

*I've had plenty of other beers that would fall into this category, and this may be one of my least favorite.

03-30-2011 14:15:59 | More by genuinedisciple
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Acquired from raznug, courtesy of the Under 100 III BIF so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark brown color, with almost no head and what little is there fades almost instantly and leaves no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains roasted malts, black coffee, some chocolate and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of roasted coffee beans and milk chocolate. Then bready flavors from oats and a hearty malt character come in. The hops presence is mild but about where it should be for the style and brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: A little smooth and a little crisp, medium body but a bit watery, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, not the best representation of style, there are several other beers in the style that I would choose before this one.

11-15-2010 01:40:13 | More by TheManiacalOne
surlytheduff

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Drank from pint glass. Poured deep dark brown, with a somewhat thin rootbeer-foam colored head. Head dissipated very quickly, leaving no lacing.

Smelled rich and sweet, with roasted coffee most apparent at first, then maltiness and chocolate.

The malt was what jumped out to me on first taste, with really not much else there. It seemed like a real disconnect between the smell and taste - I had expectations of some rich flavors, but beyond the maltiness there wasn't a whole lot more going on.

It felt awfully thin for an outmeal stout, and didn't have the creaminess that I normally associate with the style.

10-18-2010 00:50:10 | More by surlytheduff
Thorpe429

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at the brewpub in December 2009. Reviewed from notes.

Pours near black with a thin mocha head and not much of any lacing on the way down. Nose brings a decent amount of overly roasted espresso with hints of chocolate. Taste is about the same, as the espresso carries a bit of good flavor but nothing else really backs it up. Feel is medium. Drinks okay but not one of the better coffee beers, and not one of my favorites here.

10-11-2010 10:49:30 | More by Thorpe429
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

Thanks to grub for this one.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

Appearance: Pours an almost pitch black body that looks actually more reddish when held to the light. Barely a finger of brownish head which vanishes in under 30 seconds.

Smell: Cold coffee but not in a bad way. Like a fresh pot that's cold. A bit of cocoa maybe.

Taste: Not much going on here unfortunately. Coffee beans upfront and a bit of sweetness on the tail end.

Mouthfeel: Next to no carbonation and kind of thin for the style and ABV.

Drinkability: Had less than half a glass before i got bored with it.

Overall: Uninspiring and bland. The near absence of carbonation and the lack of any real flavor kill this beer.

09-23-2010 12:29:17 | More by papat444
bamadog

Kentucky

4.08/5  rDev +25.9%

I received this as an extra a few months back, but sadly can't remember who threw it in the box. Whoever you may have been, thanks for the beer! Review is from notes taken on 7/27/2010 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is a deep dark dirty brown/near black and looks about the color of used motor oil (mind you, it doesn't look as thick as used motor oil, though); despite a vigorous pour, no head whatsoever; body is entirely opaque and based upon no head, I'd say it looks pretty flat; no lacing, just an oily film that quickly slides back into the beer.

Smell: Pretty nice, and quite strong -- nice strong and roasty burnt expresso; dark semi-sweet syrupy chocolate; a bit of dark cherry and lactic sourness as it continues to warm... I'm intrigued...

Taste: Starts of pretty plain and standard with the nice espresso roastiness (nothing special right of the first sip though); however, the syrupy chocolate and dark cherries and a certain sourness (could be a bit of sour cherries, but it strikes me as more of a lactic sourness) creeps in and really, in my opinion, brightens the beer's profile quite nicely.

Mouthfeel: Sigh... never as thick as I would like, but the body is of medium weight; no carbonation, so it feels very flat, oily and slick; a moderate and semi-moist stickiness is left all over the palate.

Drinkability: Not too shabby overall, especially if I really consider the smell and flavors; it does need some head and carbonation though, and damn it, I really want a thicker stout; while my numbers are kind of all over the place on this, I do believe it's worth checking out.

07-28-2010 01:18:16 | More by bamadog
mgbickel

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Perfect Pint glass. My aggressive pour yielded a small, single finger tan head that dissipated before I could rinse the bottle out. No signs of foam or bubbles were retained on the dark brown/ruby body.

The nose has some roasted malts, wet coffee grinds, maybe a little chocolate and nuttiness.

The taste starts out alright but fades quickly as the beer gets warmer. Some malts up front that fade into a weak, watery, coffee flavored finish.

The mouth feel is pretty weak...semi carbonated and watery for a stout.

Meh...not something I will buy again, but nothing that made me want to drain pour either...

06-09-2010 20:44:00 | More by mgbickel
MIMicrobrews

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%

Upon opening, you don't get a large sense of coffee. As I poured it, the glass filled with thick, opaque black liquid with little head and zero retention. The aroma, surprisingly enough, didn't exude a ton of coffee. I sensed more roasted malts and chocolate. While it may not be coffee, it still smelled delicious. My first sip exploded with amazing coffee flavor. It was delicious, creamy, wonderfully blended. It was just the right amount; clearly coffee flavored, but not too much where it was overkill. Some coffee stouts/breakfast stouts have too much coffee flavor and it kills the beer (in my opinion), here this brew has excellent consumption quality and includes a nice complexity of chocolate and roasted malt flavors as well. The aftertaste was a nice mix of chocolate and coffee. It lingers a little bitter for a small amount of time, but it's a pleasant bitter with a smoothness to it that leaves me wanting another sip right away.

Overall, it's a very tasty brew. I mean, I do love coffee and I do love a good stout. This is a very nice mix and is quite a pleasure to enjoy. It's not as bold as some other coffee stouts, but it seems to me to the type of beer I can rely on when I need a reliable coffee brew.

05-08-2010 21:33:12 | More by MIMicrobrews
jt31914

3.5/5  rDev +8%

12 oz. Bottle:

This beer was a nice surprise; the reviews made me think it would suck but it was actually pretty decent. It was black with a decent amount of mocha colored head and decent lacing. Oatmeal coffee taste was pretty pleasant and balanced; mouthfeel was bubbly but a bit syrupy and the beer smelled like java and oatmeal. Pretty easy to drink, but it tastes stronger than 6.5% alcohol.

05-07-2010 02:00:37 | More by jt31914
jmich24

3.5/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle

A: Beautiful Dark Black. Barely quarter in head dissipates very fast. Zero lacing
S: Roasted Barley, Chocolate, Coffee
T: Coffee is the main course. Nice bitterness, bittersweet chocolate.
M: Thin for the style. I come to expect more creaminess in a oatmeal stout.
D: Drinkability is a fair. Great after a large meal but I couldn't drink more than one or two.

Solid after dinner beer. It is possible I would pick this up again but will not be a mainstay in my fridge.

04-07-2010 20:00:58 | More by jmich24
tubacharlie

2.83/5  rDev -12.7%

Not much aroma, slight whiff of hops.

Decent light brown head recedes quickly but leaves a thin ring around the edge.

Dark red-brown color, nearly black and opaque with almost no light penetration, partly due to unfiltered bottle conditioning.

Flavor is like weak coffee, not much there in the way of malt, with a light hop bitterness at the end. Very still liquid by the time it gets down to the last third of a glass. Carbonation is very light, but sufficient to give a creamy smooth sipping quality.

Overall, not something I would recommend, especially for breakfast, although it is labeled a Breakfast Stout.

03-25-2010 01:09:29 | More by tubacharlie
divineaudio

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%

on tap at grand trunk pub, served from a pint glass.

a - dark brown, almost black in color. formed a decent size tan head that calmed quickly to a ring around the glass. no lacing to speak of, only a spot here and there.

s - coffee and chocolate. aromas are mild at best.

t - picking up mostly dark chocolate here, with a little coffee and a hint of molasses. hops are subtle to nonexistent, the bitterness seems to come more from the dark chocolate than the hops. a rich and decadent brew for sure, but lacking in complexity.

m - medium bodied and creamy with a subtle co2 profile.

d - a little too robust to be sessionable. could have another, but any more than that would be too much. kinda like having two desserts when you really only need one.

this is a pretty good beer, but i have a hard time believing that it's an oatmeal stout.

03-05-2010 20:35:11 | More by divineaudio
semibaked

Kentucky

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured aggressively into a pint glass

A - Pitch Black with very little head and no lacing. Thin looking at best.

S - Great smell of espresso and slight sweetness

T - First thing I notice is the "sharp" carbonation kinda like someone is stabbing my tongue with a toothpick. Lots of really dark espresso flavor and really nothing else.

M - Watery, I thought oatmeal was supposed to give a nice creaminess to the beer, but definitely didn't work here.

D - I don't think I will go back to this, there are alot of better coffee stouts out there than this, was glad to try it though.

02-15-2010 02:30:33 | More by semibaked