Arbor Brewing Olde Number 22 Alt Bier - Arbor Brewing Company

good

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

Altbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arbor Brewing Olde Number 22 Alt Bier Alström Bros
1.34/5  rDev -61.7%

12 oz bottle. Brewed and bottled by the Corner Brewer LLC. Not brewed on premises? Opens with a vigorous whoosh and despite a gentle decant, foams up quickly, forming a meringue-like light tan head which peaks out of the glass about 2 inches, and leaving sticky gobs of foam on the glass as it recedes. Cloudy mahogany, near black. Aroma of burnt grain, kiwi fruit, an awful amount of metals and acid. Mouthfeel is biting with a medium body. Taste begins with left over coffee grounds, followed by a strong green kiwi fruit presence with associated acidity, dirty pennies in vinegar, an acrid bitterness and a sharp biting sourness. This brew is obviously infected.

What is it with breweries in Ann Arbor? Frog Island, Leopold Brothers, and this brewery all have nasty infected products. Don't the brewers drink what they sell? How could they let this go out on the shelves? This is the furthest thing from an Alt I've ever had. A disaster. Down the drain it goes.

2.08/5  rDev -40.6%

An incredibly massive head. I poured the bottle into a pint glass and it's literally all dense tan head with about a half inch of beer at the bottom of the glass. It's annoying because I want to drink it. I can still smell it, though, and it smells like smokey burnt raisins and burnt carmel. Tastes as it smells but with a mediocre sour aftertaste that I don't really care for. Did I get a bad bottle? Upon second sniff I can detect the sourness in the aroma also. I just lowered the ratings from 3 to 2 in both those categories. The texture is a little watery and too carbonated. I'm disappointed in this beer... But what do you expect from something that comes from Ann Arbor. Go State.

2.16/5  rDev -38.3%

Pours a very pretty, dark, hazy mahogany with a thick tan head with great staying power. Not what I expect an altbier to generally look like, but still a nice-looking brew. Then everything goes to crap.

A nose of overpowering sticky-sweet caramel malts balanced by nothing but the odd stench of Gerber's strained vegetables.

The maltiness in the taste is largely a pruniness accompanied by a bizarre green-olive taste, with an astringent bitterness in the finish. Yuck.

Mouthfeel is decent -- full-bodied with moderate carbonation. But not particularly drinkable due to the strange flavor/aroma combination.

The whole experience kind of matches my other current experience of watching Lieberman's speech.

Then again, maybe it's just a bad bottle because I don't remember reacting this way to another one I had a few days ago (albeit with a largely shot palate after a couple of DIPAs).

2.51/5  rDev -28.3%

Maybe it's just the style that I don't like, but there's a bunch of off flavors in the beer that just don't seem to work together. Nice looking beer with a deep brown color and lighter brown head. Aroma is just hard to place, as if it's masked.

Starts off well enough, with some dark fruit flavors and toasted chocolates. But there's a smoky flavor lingering there that doesn't do it to me. It's more "ash-tray" than it is "campfire". There's not much to balance it out in the end and comes up feeling flat.

2.61/5  rDev -25.4%

Very nice appearance, but looks can be deceiving. Smell is faint; a little sweetness and maybe a hint of Riesling. I'm dumbfounded at the lack of flavor considering the appearance and smell. Nothing really offensive to the taste, but quite bland. Very little maltiness, a tiny hint of fruit sweetness, but mostly with high carbonation I could almost mistake this for club soda--very watery. Moderately light, if you had no desire for flavor you could drink a few of these, but I'm afraid I'd die of boredom first.

2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

I picked up a bottle of Arbor Brewing Olde Number 22 Alt Bier the other day for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I didn't have the greatest first impression of Arbor Brewing, but after trying their version of Dark Corner I decided I should give them another chance and see what else they got. No visible bottle dating but the store just got them in and I know it's a 2011 vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty plain but I like the old school font the name is written in. It opened with a loud pssh sound and it poured a deep, dark, and hazy brown color that even with a very gentle pour it still yielded five fingers worth of tan mocha colored head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice looking lacing. This is a pretty nice looking beer.

S- I pick up a large amount of medium roasted malts that have a medium amount of sweetness to them. The malts impart some nice subtle coffee and chocolate aromas along with a slight grainy aroma.

T- The flavors starts of with the medium roasted malts that retain that medium amount of sweetness to them, it could be toned down a little. The flavors aren't as deep and roasty as the aroma led me to believe. It had a nutty flavor that I normally find in Brown Ales, to me it tastes like a mix between a Brown Ale and a lighter Porter, the flavors just don't go together that well. The finish was semi bitter, earthy, and dry, no real presence of hops.

M- It had a semi dry finish with a light body, I felt it should have been thicker, it has a watery feel to it that I don't like that much. This beer was also over carbonated, normally I don't mind a little extra head but this one took a while to pour even when I made sure to be gentle, but it was so carbonated that the mouthfeel suffered because of it, it was just to fizzy and I feel like that messed up some of the flavors.

Overall this was a pretty dull beer that I wasn't impressed with. I liked the look and aroma of this beer but after that everything pretty much went down hill. There wasn't much going on in the flavor darpartment and what was there was pretty subdued. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was a mess, it was too watery and way over carbonated. I wasn't digging this brew and I don't think I would ever buy it again. I have very little experience with this style with this being first Altbier I have knowingly drank, but this beer just didn't do it for me. I can't say I would recommend this beer to people, its just too out of whack and needs lots of work. I am starting to think Arbor brewing's beers are hit or miss for me, with the misses being the majority, but I am not ready to write them off just yet.

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

2.83/5  rDev -19.1%

I picked this up in Detroit a couple weeks ago, and it's been chilling on deck for about a week. I poured it into a Sam Adams glass, and it filled to the top with poofy tan foam. The liquid itself was very dark, mush darker than other alts I've tried. The aroma was off in my opinion, a little fruity and a little acidy-sour. Same with the taste, it had some off-flavors I didn't think matched the beer style. I won't try it again.

2.87/5  rDev -18%

Dark brown, nearly opaque beer topped by a thin ring of tan coloured head. Flavour and aroma were intensely malty, some toffee, with very little hop presence. Mild bitterness and a relatively clean yeast character with a bit of dark fruitiness. Some residual sweetness with a short, malty finish. Medium bodied with low carbonation and a slightly sweet, sticky texture.

2.93/5  rDev -16.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours brown with a creamy off white head that retains and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet sugary caramel and dark fruits

The flavor is is yeasty with some chocolate malt and some fruit. It has some acidic plastic and metallic bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly watery.

Overall, it kind of reminds me of Jolly Pumpkin's Bam Noire, but not as good.

3.01/5  rDev -14%

No aroma, little dots in the head. Some bitterness and decent for the style, but not the best I have had. A tad of chocolate malt, smoke,saaz like carbonation. Bit lemon and acid in the finish and on aftertaste. Quaffable though didn't all work out on this batch.

3.06/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from a bottle a deep, dark black with a meringue-like tan head and beautiful lacing.

The aromas of sweet roasted malts and raisins is present but very subtle.

The taste is a cherry sourness up front while finishing with roasted malts and coffee. The malts seems almost watered-down compared to the sourness.

Medium mouthfeel and mildly carbonated.

The balance seems off on this one. The sour cherriness upfront is just too much.

3.11/5  rDev -11.1%

Picked up a single at Bello Vino for $1.69

This is a dark brown alt, but I guess it doesn't always have to be amber-colored. The aroma and flavor were both a bit disappointing. I just pulled a deep caramel sweetness, without much other complexity. The body was balanced and drinkable, but the flavor wasn't compelling enough to try this again.

3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: I had to make an aggrssive pour and only got a one finger head that disappeared before my eyes could blink. No licing on the glass from the little head nor while drinking.

Smell: Faint smoky malt note but nothing to exciting.

Taste: Nice little bitter-sweet taste. Mild coffee and roasty malt notes. The watery feel seemed to wash away any undertones.

Mouthfeel: Little sharp bite on the tongue. The little carbonation and the too watery feel left me wanting more from this nice looking black beer.

Drinkability: Easy to drink - I could drink a few of these and I have at the brewpub in Ypsi.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.26/5  rDev -6.9%

Arbor Brewing's Olde 22 poured deep brown with a tall, creamy, light tan head. Aroma had notes of apple, cocoa and a hint of smoke. Flavors consisted of chocolate and roasted malt with a clean bitter finish. Medium body and medium-high carbonation and a dry finish.

This Arbor beer is a nice session brew. I like the roasted aspects of 22, but it isn't flawless. Try it with some ribs or brisket.

3.31/5  rDev -5.4%

Dark brown pour, not much head, not much nose, but deep malt, that is what this style is mostly about, eh? Thanks to Hophobo for providing it as an extra, not much depth, but a nice solid brew. Not sweet, no hops, just solid malt, good mouthfeel and very drinkable, just not one to seek out unless all you see are macros around, probably only around Ann Arbor/Detroit, nice but move on.

3.31/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.32/5  rDev -5.1%

A- Pours with abundant carbonation- 2 full fingers of head that is light cocoa over a black unhighlightable brew. Some speckled lacing.

S- Strong coffee aroma with perhaps a touch of brown sugar and raisin.

T- Strong coffee taste, some dark malt backbone to it. HOps are peeking at the edges but hard to identify.

M- High carbonation, to a sharp level.

D- Ok I suppose, but this tastes like a maltier porter, which is singlulary coffee flavored.

3.37/5  rDev -3.7%

Sampled on 4-27-08

Pours a super deep brown, with a little bit of red mixed in. A huge, off-white head sits on top, leaving the thickest lacing I've ever seen.

Smell is subtle, malty and smoky.

Taste is sweet, almost sour at first, with a smoky middle to even things out. Very different.

Mouthfeel is good, smooth and thick.

Drinkability suffers from the odd combination of sour and smoky.

Overall, a different kind of beer. Good, but very hard to place.

3.39/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a dark brown with an excellent light tan head that billows and floats for minutes. Nose is mild, some light spiciness and sweet malt. Flavor is interesting. Surprisingly sour; this is my first alt, but there wasn't anything in the description about sourness. In any case, there's a fair bit of roasted molasses, light astringency, some light fruit. Fairly well balanced in terms of malt and hops. Feel is alright, medium body, maybe a little light on the carbonation. This one isn't bad, although it's the first alt I've had, so I don't really have a lot to compare it to. The sourness was a bit of a surprise, but overall, it's drinkable.

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Arbor's brewery in Ann Arbor. Olde Number 22 pours a deep brown color, exalted by some ruby and deeper mahogany clarity towards the outer edges. A thin, light-tan head settles around 3 millimeters and lasts for a surprisingly long time before finally reducing to a simple ring outlining the glass.

The aroma's pretty light overall, though it does gain some steam once it finally has a chance to warm up a bit. Chocolate-esque malts, both sweet and roasty, both playing the field for dominance, and ending up with reasonable balance in the end. Some crisp yeast sits on the back end, along with a faint and musky, dry-hopped aroma. Nothing too notable here, but nothing offensive, either.

"Coffee beans" never really popped into my head as I was smelling this, but it's the first thing I can taste when I take a sip. Dry, roasted coffee beans, topped off with a dash of cocoa powder cutting through the timid oils. A hint of sweet malts helps balance the roast; not quite creamy, although there's an impending sweetness that I'm having a hard time placing a flavor to. And just for a second, there's even a very mild, raisin-y tartness that's gone almost as fast as it crept in.

The malty sweetness fades slowly into a bitter-roasted aftertaste that is again fitted with a great deal of dry coffee beans. Mild astringency in the finish, and light acrid; the yeast gives a nice, dry and clean feel on the palate once the flavors have finally cleared. A touch of nuttiness sneaks in there somewhere, too. Thin-medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation.

Didn't have many expectations for this one, as I'm not the biggest Arbor fan out there, and I am also not very well versed in altbiers; needless to say, I ended up thinking this was pretty decent, and it's definitely something I would recommend trying at least once. Kind of like a dry stout, though maybe just a touch lighter in malty character (though still very roast-heavy). Nothing spectacular, but certainly not bad.

Arbor Brewing Olde Number 22 Alt Bier from Arbor Brewing Company