Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA - Arbor Brewing Company

Beer added by: beernut7 on 07-30-2002

Ratings: 334 | Reviews: 152
Reviews by DrinkMoreBigBeers:
3.51/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

No date on bottle, not sure how old this one is!

A - Pours out a clear orange with a sudsy two finger off white head. Bubbles are streaming up relentlessly. Noticed yeast cake in the bottom of bottle before I poured out so be careful if you did not notice this.

S -Not a lot going on hear there is some biscuit followed by resinous hops that almost remind me of a skunked beer aroma.

T - Bitterness and bready sweetness in the front with the same resinous/earthy hops throughout that tend to linger on the back. Has a slight tang to it.

M - Medium to full bodied with a pillowy feel. Nice an quaffable with a dry finish.

O - Reminds me of an old school IPA with a high bitterness that lingers and builds. A traditional IPA seems to suit this beer. Definitely has a bitter bite to it. Also, has some pleasant attributes but nothing that blows my hair back by any means. One to try but not go back to and it is definitely not a hop bomb. I think this could use some dry hopping, Cheers!

3.96/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from the engine lighter copper with a creamy top,aromas werent as big as expected with piney vineous hop coming thru most.Flavors were very nice piney,herbal hops that just lingered nicely on the palate over top of a drier biscuity malt base.The hops just seemed to just hang there wich made me wanna drink more the low carbonation from the cask made it slide down oh so easy.It was a big seller with the locals with the cute barmaid wrenching on the pump all night,very well made.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

In a pint glass this beer was a hazy copper color. It had a thick white head that resembled whipped cream. A good deal of lace.

Aroma was mostly citrus with a tiny bit of piney hops. Some sweet malt.

Primarily citrus taste, mostly grapefruit but some tangerine also. Little bit of piney hops late. Solid malt background.

Medium-bodied, pretty hoppy.

Nice beer.

3.64/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Pours a cloudy amber with one finger oh head that dissipates quickly.

S - Floral and citrus hops are about all I get from this. Smell is pretty appealing though.

T - Nice hop bitterness up front. The is some pine in the taste that I didn't get from the smell. Pretty good.

M - Medium mouthfeel that coats the palate somewhat. Good carbonation level.

O - Not the best IPA around, but one of the better beers I've had from Arbor.

4.23/5  rDev +14.6%

12 oz bottle. Pours a cloudy brownish gold with a thin white head that quickly goes to a thin film.

The aroma is bright and fruity (lemon) hops with some grains in the background.

The flavor is fruity, piney and grassy hops with some grains and a good bitter finish that lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and kind of watery.

Overall, it's pretty one-dimensiona and a bit thinl, but it's a very good IPA and one of my favorites from Arbor.

3.58/5  rDev -3%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Dense rocky head, hazed golden amber

SMELL: Oily citric rind, nectarines, estery, toasted biscuits, nutty yeast, mild caramel

TASTE: Orange zest, mild toasted biscuit, warming alcohol, hop bitterness, yeasty, taffy, evergreen, mango, bitter semi-dry finish

A solid IPA, 80 IBUs? Sure it is bitter but I focused on the well rounded hop character rather than just the bitterness. A balanced drinkable IPA.

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy golden color with a foamy two finger head that lingers a few minutes clinging to the glass ever so slightly as it dissipates. The nose is of grass and citrus, good standard IPA smells. The taste is grassy hops at hops giving way to bit of citrus with a good malt backbone to balance it out and a slight bit pepper on the ass end. Body is light to medium. I like this beer a lot....when it is fresh. If the bottles have been sitting even a couple months some tend to become geysers. Three from my last six pack were though I did not detect any "off" flavors.

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden amber in appearance with thin, lacey head. Scents of light hops with faint citrus. Hop taste with a hint of molasses, apple and peppery spice. The mouthfeel isn't bad but the lingering bitter after-taste, more so than a lot of I.P.A.s, detracts a bit from the overall experience. Not bad though.

2.39/5  rDev -35.2%

Poured into my Dfh snifter, a dark orange color that leaves a little bit of fluffy foam and some glass lacing. Smell- uh oh, there is something wrong here. I get a unpleasant grass flavor, mixed with a hint of...hot glue? Taste- unpleasant band aid scent, some toffee, some bitterness (but not apparently from the hops- I can't seem to find them anywhere!). This IPA is a disaster. Total drainpour, and I will not seek out again.

3.45/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap at The Hunt Club. Yellow with a significant head, and then lacey. Average mouthfeel. Very bitter and then drying, so if there was complexity of flavours it was a jumbe in the hops. Drinkable, but only average for the style. Maybe better on cask the way the brewery began serving it.

on cask at the brewpub

cellphone notes

appearance: hazy grapefruit amber body, frothy beige cap. a sight for sore eyes after a long drive from Madison

smell: earthy hops - grapefruit, pulpy hop presence, nicely spiced

taste: a nice cask IPA - moderately hopped primarily showcasing pulpy grapefruit and lemon zest - floral citrus and delicate white pepper. saw the bottles around too but figured fresh at the pub was the way to go

mouthfeel: pulpy, juicy hops - medium body, light bitterness

drinkability: good - a solid brewpub IPA

3.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I need to pay more attention when pouring some of these wonderful beers...I F'ing hate FLOATIES!!!! Pet peive...sorry. The Sacred Cow from Arcadia is a decent beer. The color is a cloudy copper and thin white head that seems to be lacing quite well. The smell is bolstered with apricot and maybe some sublte pine. The taste isnt bad. I am catching some belgium malt character which isnt my favorite, but there is some citrus and pine that helps to keep this beer towards my favorite. The mouthfeel is ok I porbably would choose to session this beer, but I could. Certainly worth a try if you can.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Hand-pulled from the cask at the brewpub and served in an imperial pint glass.

The cask was very fresh and this beer was a real treat. The hops, like all the flavors thanks to the cask, were light on the tongue with a grassy citrus taste. That's balanced against mild biscuit and caramel malts. The drinkability is excellent and the aftertaste and finish is a fine peppercorn bitterness.

4.17/5  rDev +13%

12 oz. bottle into my Kona Brewing pint glass.

A-Pours a dark golden color. I've had this beer on numerous occasions and everytime it seems to pour extremely foamy. Pouring with about 1/2 foam, this particular beer was not an exception.
S-Sweet and hoppy.
T- Very hoppy throughout, bitter as well. The noticeable malt presence balances the beer very well though.
M- Very good, not to thick. High in carbonation, but it works for this beer.
D- As IPA's go this is a very drinkable one. I could definitely drink several of these.

I think this is my second six pack of Sacred Cow, and with each one I drink this beer grows on me. Definitely will buy this beer again. Though nothing groundbreaking it is definitely a very solid, drinkable IPA.

3.23/5  rDev -12.5%

Originally reviewed on January 18, 2006. On tap at the brewpub. Cloudy orange, with yellow fringes. SIlky head of ivory. Buttery pine and floral aroma. Flavor is all hops, with no malt background. Mostly dissapointing. Straight metallic hop bitterness. With lime rind and oak. Finish is completely grassy. One dimensional.

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

A- Golden with a hint of orange, a little cloudy, with very little head.

S- Hoppy with a touch of sweetness.

T- Nice hop flavor all the way through and a sweet, but bitter finish.

M- Medium bodied, with a slight but pleasant bitterness.

D- Very drinkable and I could see myself getting in trouble with this beer.

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

A 12 oz bottle from Plum Market in AA (she's a whore).

A: The IPA is golden amber with a thick pea-soup haze. The narrower base of my glass glows with radiant orange while the mouth is a brown morass. 2.5+ fingers of white foam, requiring a break in pouring, leave a bit of lace behind.

S: A strong dose of citrus emerged on popping the cap. As the ale sat in the glass, more citrus wafted out, a nice aroma. Up close, the ale is oily, with grpaefruit sharpness that manages to crowd out all but the strongest of caramel.

T: That nice aroma is a deception! It sets the mind of with expectations that cannot be met. The hops, sure they are plentiful, are active but a little on the degraded side with a leafy vegetal flavor. Caramel malts, potentially a saving grace, instead steer the ale towards barleywine territory. And, I swear, the aftertaste has a bretty huskiness about it.

M: The mouthfeel, with its aforementioned huskiness, seems to miss the mark, especially in light of the nice aromas.

D: I didn't try this on tap during our AA, maybe I should have. A little long in the tooth I think.

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A-Orange copper hue w/only slightly hazy body and rich frothy head. Awesome retention...still a full cap after 45 minutes and nice lacing.

S-Toasted malt, apricot, apple, a liberal amount of a variety of hops, but mostly pine, herbal, and floral characters. Also a little bit of spice.

T-Bitter apricot and apple and slightly sweet toasted malt blend midway w/spice and feed into a hoppy finish. The aftertaste is extremely bitter w/a hint of apricot.

M-Carbonation is moderate and carries body and flavors well. Only drawback is the extremely bitter aftertaste.

D-Enjoyable brew unlike the rest of its class. Interesting, complex, and highly drinkable.

4.69/5  rDev +27.1%

I tried this beer at a local bar's 'Brewer Night' when the people from Arbor were at the bar. It was a good time.

It was a cloudy gold in the big 25oz mugs at the local bar i love so much. (Crunchy's for anyone interested).

I was in a college bar so my smell was screwed by the ambient smell. there was definitely some citrus hops coming through though.

Started out with a strong balanced bitterness and finished with the taste of grapefruit as if to remind me that i wanted to have another drink.

Full mouth feel, not disappointing in the least.

One of the best beers I've had and that may be due to my fondness of IPAs or my fondness for fresh beer. Either way i could have had a couple more if i didn't have classes in the morning.

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

Pale Amber to copper color. Creamy texture, great cask condition, some malt aroma under generic american hop aromas. Not over the top in hops which is great just enough hops to support the style and malt body. I had two of these with out great palette fatigue, it seems to change as you drink it. The malt profile really comes to the front after some time. What I wish more IPAs were like.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

12 ounce bottle from Merchant Fine Wine in Dearborn Heights, MI, for $1.89 in late March, 2008.

Pours a medium golden with a very frothy head. Aroma of fresh hops, subtle notes of herbal and piney hops. Flavor is sharp, clean pine hops that stood up very well to spicy food. High hoppiness for IPA, no citrus/fruit, all pine trees and oils (not my favorite hops profile, but it works here).

Nothing specific jumped out at me while drinking it besides "this is good!"

Paired with a spicy chicken Pad Thai.

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

a- pours a dark amber with a nice one and half inch head

s-it smells like an ipa but with a more earthy, grass smell. hard to describe

t-the hops come through quick but quickly move out of the way for a gentle and deep balance of malt that almost tastes like corn

m-this is really smooth and none of the flavors are overpowering

o- this is a really nice IPA. I don't know if I'd rush out to buy or recommend this one but it certainly gets the job done

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Received from Gaisgeil in Brews 'N Tunes BIF

Pours a clear gold with hints of red. A white lacing appears on the pour, and fades to a thin ring with some islets. Bizarrely though, a decent amount of carbonation seems to be suspended in the beer itself, mixed in with some very fine particulate (yeast?).

Smells of Marris Otter, with a hint of sweet hops and grapefruits.
Tastes is bitingly bitter for a half second, before it fades into a sweetness of malts. Finish is slightly sourdoughy, and a bit drying. Leaves you ready for the next sip. Has just the right amount of carbonation and hops bite, without overpowering or thinning the beer.

If I had the luxury, I could see myself sitting down in front of a football game, and working my way through two or three of these with food. All in all, a solid autumn beer!

3.1/5  rDev -16%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a hazy, light copper color. White foamy head disappears pretty quick, leaving just a few patches of lace on the sides of the glass.

Some earthy and light citrusy flavors. A few caramel and fruity notes. Comes across more of an English IPA here for me.

A very light caramel malt is at the front, lacking depth. Some fruity flavors come in next, but nothing too dominating. Bitterness seems to be on the low side. Most of the bitterness comes across as earthy and floral.

Light body, with a low amount of carbonation. Seems more like an English Pale Ale tom me. Not very impressive.

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is a dark amber with gold highlights. Three inches of beige head lingers atop.

S - I get some floral hops that remind me of soap. I just do not get much on the nose.

T - I get some light caramel malt. Some bitterness grows the more I drink. It's not citrus or pine. Just a growing bitterness.

M - Medium

O - This is a weak ipa. I would be better labeled as a pale ale. I guess I could see it passing as an English ipa. It's not terrible, just not a great ipa by any means.

Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA from Arbor Brewing Company