Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA - Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPAArbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA

good

good

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 07-30-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA Alström Bros
lukeoberm963

1.85/5  rDev -50%

Had this beer from a friend that bought it to make up from a six pack that he drank that was mine while I was away. When I first saw it I thought "Oh No". The last time I drank it was from another buddy of mine. He had the amber and whenever you poured it the beer foamed up like CRAZY. The glass would fill with 10% beer and 90% head. You could not drink this beer, especially from the bottle (ugh). I figured, heck this isn't the amber, I'll give it a try. When I poured it it smelled ok. When I poured it I got almost the same result 40% beer and 60% head in the glass. I had to wait almost fifteen minutes until it was drinkable. When I did the flavor was a little malty up front with a lot of hop oil, citrus flavor. There wasn't much of I hop smack like I would expect with other IPA's so I was disappointed in that also. I would not recommend this brewery to anyone unless they prefer drinking their beer fifteen minutes and warmer that when they poured the sucker.

10-12-2009 15:37:22 | More by lukeoberm963
BrewtalHonesty

Oregon

10-04-2013 00:16:29 | More by BrewtalHonesty
brutusmuktuk

02-19-2014 21:13:58 | More by brutusmuktuk
Mcculler

2.2/5  rDev -40.5%

Pours a hazy, muddy, amber - beautiful in sunlight but rather unappetising in artificial - with a large, lasting, off-white head. Unfortunately, the head might be the only good thing about this beer.

Smells faintly of bitter herbs, apple cider, slightly sweet malts, and old plastic.

Tastes like a decent IPA - mild grapefruit and lemon with a sweet malt backbone, except running through it is that bitter plastic off taste noticeable in the smell.

Strangely, perhaps interestingly, thick body with good carbonation.

Would be very drinkable without that plastic flavor. Might not make it all the way through this one. Haven't heard the best of things about Arbor brewing from relatively reputable sources. My first try of their beer does nothing to contradict the grapevine.

01-29-2010 22:08:50 | More by Mcculler
MMBrew

2.25/5  rDev -39.2%

07-14-2013 03:23:00 | More by MMBrew
lnashsig

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

Poured into my Dfh snifter, a dark orange color that leaves a little bit of fluffy foam and some glass lacing. Smell- uh oh, there is something wrong here. I get a unpleasant grass flavor, mixed with a hint of...hot glue? Taste- unpleasant band aid scent, some toffee, some bitterness (but not apparently from the hops- I can't seem to find them anywhere!). This IPA is a disaster. Total drainpour, and I will not seek out again.

02-02-2011 01:17:09 | More by lnashsig
chugalug06

Colorado

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

A - Nice pour! Great white foamy head builds slowly. Brew is nice amber color

S - Very bland. Not too much on the surface of the scent. Some earthy tones. kinda a dirty scent...

T - Very unusual for an AIPA... Certainly not a west coast IPA... Very nice grape flavor.

M - DRY! Zero bitterness, but lots of off flavors. Carbonation is spot on.

O - Very disappointing. There's no date on the bottle, so i assume it's fresh from my last round of trades...

08-03-2011 01:55:36 | More by chugalug06

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

08-18-2012 05:44:34 | More by rjl910953
chicagobeerriot

2.55/5  rDev -31.1%

Cloudy and Copper-hued. A sloppy pour gives you two fingers of rocky, persistent head that's forming some decent lacing as the session progresses.

Getting a bit of citrus and peach with my first whiff, but this is not a very strong smelling IPA.

Mouthfeel is a bit thicker and full-bodied than I usually like to see from the single-IPA community.

There's a lot more flavor here than I expected based on the smell. It starts out promising, with some nice grapefruit and biscuity notes and the bitterness really makes a hard charge after a second or two. My problem with this beer is that the finish is a bit of a mess. The bitterness goes off the rails and combines with a surprisingly strong alcohol presence to leave a less than pleasant aftertaste. The completist may want to try this, but it's not going to get a repeat visit from me.

10-02-2009 00:33:40 | More by chicagobeerriot
BMoney575

2.6/5  rDev -29.7%

Sampled on 2-6-09

Pours a huge foamy mess. Eventually settles to a cool cloudy orange color with a massive white head.

Smell is very citrusy, a little spicy, maybe a little on the old side. Lots of hops, you can smell the bitterness.

Taste is bitter, very spicy and lemony. Aftertaste is a little weird, kind of astringent.

Mouthfeel is terrible, huge carbonation detracts from the flavors and the experience as a whole.

Drinkability suffers from the awful mouthfeel.

Overall, somehow I expected a stinker.

02-07-2009 00:46:53 | More by BMoney575
david131

2.7/5  rDev -27%

Had this on cask at the brewery/ restaurant.

A- Clear, golden liquid with absolutely no carbonation. There was a beautiful white head sitting atop the beer that did not seem to go anywhere throughout the entire drink.

S- Very subtle hops with a solid malt backing. Not much going on here. The lack of carbonation really hurt this beer.

T- The taste was just like the smell. No matter how long I washed this beer around my mouth, it was hard to get much out of it. Carbonation would have helped show off some of the hops.

M- Very creamy. Served at a good temperature. It could have been that I was searching for more flavor, but I did not have a problem letting this beer wander my palate.

D- I was not wowed, but I am curious to try this beer in its carbonated form. From what I got out of it though, it was a good run of the mill IPA, nothing more.

01-27-2007 16:29:07 | More by david131
SportsandJorts

2.73/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance: a lightish yellow, almost strawy color. a tad too clear. white head that doesn't really stick around

Smell: citrusy hops all day. not bad but i really like a lot more dimensions in my beer

Taste: opens up more with both citrus and breadiness, but very unbalanced and just plan not very tasty to me

Mouthfeel: way too bitter. extremely sticky

Overall: I love Arbor Brewing. This beer just does not do it. It could use a unique dimension or just more balance rather than being a citrusy tangy bitter bomb.

05-05-2013 03:03:14 | More by SportsandJorts
southsider

Indiana

2.85/5  rDev -23%

Serving size was 12 oz in pint glass.

A- Hazy coppery gold with a 3 finger thick head that eventually collapses to a thin film. Small bits of coppery sediment are in suspension and on the foam.

S-Typical hoppy smell at pour quickly diminishes.

T-Piney,resiny bitter hops at beginning with moderate carbonation.Watery middle,I was expecting some spicy notes. Not really picking up the grains at all. Sharp lingering bitter finish.

M-light to moderate slightly watery mouthfeel.

D- Pretty disappointed because local relatives raved about this beer.I've had many finer examples of this style. Perhaps the sediment and quickly fading smell reveal a beer past it's prime or improperly stored. Will try again next visit on tap if possible.

01-03-2011 05:46:17 | More by southsider
gmfessen

2.93/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear golden-orange color with a massively huge, dense, off white head. The smell has a hint of spice which I wouldn't normally associate with an IPA. That being said, I have a hard time distinguishing the hops as anything but spicey. The flavor also reflects the spicey phenol flavor which seems out of style. For an IPA, I'm not really impressed. There isn't any in your face hops about this one, although it is decently balanced and drinkable there isn't anything spectacular about this brew. The mouthfeel is fairly light in body and the carbonation is also on the lighter side.

01-18-2009 04:53:56 | More by gmfessen

Another6Pack

11-22-2011 02:18:12 | More by Another6Pack
Cresant

Kentucky

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Samuel Adams glass. No bottling or best by date. The body was a dull golden that had a bit of sediment causing haze. There was a light tan head that settled to a film.

The smell was apple skins and a little sour rag. Floral. It became more pungent as it warmed. Organic hops, lightly spicy.

The taste was hops oils that lingered. Not really that bitter but hops oils. A bit like sucking on a penny. Earthy "dirty" hops flavor as it warmed. Spiciness. Subtle malts.

The mouthfeel was adequately zesty with a medium body/density.

11-28-2010 02:51:06 | More by Cresant

clager

04-04-2014 00:23:26 | More by clager
malty

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

I've been sitting on the bottle for about 6 weeks now, no BBD seen or any other freshness stamp for that matter. It’s a distributor sample, so I'm guessing it’s still very fresh (?).

Pours a glowing amber orange with micro suspended particles. Loose and patchy off-white head that’s 1/8" at the edges.

Nice earthy and pulpy hoppy nose. Sweet malts twinkle between the hop presence giving me hope for what’s to soon come.

Very bitter tongue curling hops attack the edges of my gullet. Very sharp and gritty, taking no prisoners. Salty and mineral flavors appear at the finish. Nice biting dryness.

Mouthfeel is a bit weaker than medium bodied. Fine carbonation that gallantly tries to the body from waning, but cannot hold-up the overall watery construction. Nice dry finish.

Drinkability is so-so right now. I hope I'd feel differently in Mid-July (?).

Overall an unmemorable IPA. The attack of the first flavors were aggressive and pointed, but everything else after that seemed to sag and unravel. I won't be buying this on the shelves but would retry on tap.

12-24-2007 02:19:28 | More by malty
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger."

--Mark Twain

Chaotically bubbled tangerine that would put most Champagnes to shame. An exceedingly gentle pour netted an entire hand of beige froth that probably won't deflate in the next five minutes. Looks like I need to take a trip to the brewpub to see and taste this one at its best.

Even through all that foam, I can still appreciate an orange juice-soaked American hoppiness atop a pale malt base. At least I assume that primarily pale malt was used since I can't smell any caramel. Gotta be at least one of the 4-Cs, if not more than one.

It's fairly easy to tell that Sacred Cow IPA is good beer underneath all the bubbles. Or, more precisely, that it would be good beer if it was bottled properly. Decent flavor and bitterness is present, it's just that the mouthfeel brings the whole thing crashing down in a flurry of anemic fizziness.

There's still no hint of anything darker than pale malt... and there isn't a whole lot of that. More sweetness to offset the alpha acids would be great. The beer is only moderately bitter early and is impressively bitter late. Part of that has to due with the out-of-control carbonation, I'll bet. Earthy, bitter orange and dried apricot do what they can to rescue a flavor profile that clings to average like a drowning man clings to an inflatable doll.

It's a shame that it's no longer possible to see the scores for each individual attribute (edit: thankfully, letter grades only was a short-lived experiment). In case you were wondering, the mouthfeel gets a 2.0, also known as 'not impressed'. I think I've cataloged its faults well enough already without running through them again.

It's entirely possible (likely even) that this beer is a damn sight better on-tap than in the bottle. Since I've liked 2 of the 3 Arbor beers that I've had so far, I know they can do better. As I've experienced it today, however, this Sacred Cow is anything but USDA prime.

12-23-2007 15:04:31 | More by BuckeyeNation