Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA - Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPAArbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA

good

good

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 07-30-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA Alström Bros
1.6/5  rDev -56.8%

1.85/5  rDev -50%

Had this beer from a friend that bought it to make up from a six pack that he drank that was mine while I was away. When I first saw it I thought "Oh No". The last time I drank it was from another buddy of mine. He had the amber and whenever you poured it the beer foamed up like CRAZY. The glass would fill with 10% beer and 90% head. You could not drink this beer, especially from the bottle (ugh). I figured, heck this isn't the amber, I'll give it a try. When I poured it it smelled ok. When I poured it I got almost the same result 40% beer and 60% head in the glass. I had to wait almost fifteen minutes until it was drinkable. When I did the flavor was a little malty up front with a lot of hop oil, citrus flavor. There wasn't much of I hop smack like I would expect with other IPA's so I was disappointed in that also. I would not recommend this brewery to anyone unless they prefer drinking their beer fifteen minutes and warmer that when they poured the sucker.

2.2/5  rDev -40.5%

Pours a hazy, muddy, amber - beautiful in sunlight but rather unappetising in artificial - with a large, lasting, off-white head. Unfortunately, the head might be the only good thing about this beer.

Smells faintly of bitter herbs, apple cider, slightly sweet malts, and old plastic.

Tastes like a decent IPA - mild grapefruit and lemon with a sweet malt backbone, except running through it is that bitter plastic off taste noticeable in the smell.

Strangely, perhaps interestingly, thick body with good carbonation.

Would be very drinkable without that plastic flavor. Might not make it all the way through this one. Haven't heard the best of things about Arbor brewing from relatively reputable sources. My first try of their beer does nothing to contradict the grapevine.

2.25/5  rDev -39.2%

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

Poured into my Dfh snifter, a dark orange color that leaves a little bit of fluffy foam and some glass lacing. Smell- uh oh, there is something wrong here. I get a unpleasant grass flavor, mixed with a hint of...hot glue? Taste- unpleasant band aid scent, some toffee, some bitterness (but not apparently from the hops- I can't seem to find them anywhere!). This IPA is a disaster. Total drainpour, and I will not seek out again.

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

A - Nice pour! Great white foamy head builds slowly. Brew is nice amber color

S - Very bland. Not too much on the surface of the scent. Some earthy tones. kinda a dirty scent...

T - Very unusual for an AIPA... Certainly not a west coast IPA... Very nice grape flavor.

M - DRY! Zero bitterness, but lots of off flavors. Carbonation is spot on.

O - Very disappointing. There's no date on the bottle, so i assume it's fresh from my last round of trades...

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

2.55/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Cloudy and Copper-hued. A sloppy pour gives you two fingers of rocky, persistent head that's forming some decent lacing as the session progresses.

Getting a bit of citrus and peach with my first whiff, but this is not a very strong smelling IPA.

Mouthfeel is a bit thicker and full-bodied than I usually like to see from the single-IPA community.

There's a lot more flavor here than I expected based on the smell. It starts out promising, with some nice grapefruit and biscuity notes and the bitterness really makes a hard charge after a second or two. My problem with this beer is that the finish is a bit of a mess. The bitterness goes off the rails and combines with a surprisingly strong alcohol presence to leave a less than pleasant aftertaste. The completist may want to try this, but it's not going to get a repeat visit from me.

2.6/5  rDev -29.7%

Sampled on 2-6-09

Pours a huge foamy mess. Eventually settles to a cool cloudy orange color with a massive white head.

Smell is very citrusy, a little spicy, maybe a little on the old side. Lots of hops, you can smell the bitterness.

Taste is bitter, very spicy and lemony. Aftertaste is a little weird, kind of astringent.

Mouthfeel is terrible, huge carbonation detracts from the flavors and the experience as a whole.

Drinkability suffers from the awful mouthfeel.

Overall, somehow I expected a stinker.

2.7/5  rDev -27%

Had this on cask at the brewery/ restaurant.

A- Clear, golden liquid with absolutely no carbonation. There was a beautiful white head sitting atop the beer that did not seem to go anywhere throughout the entire drink.

S- Very subtle hops with a solid malt backing. Not much going on here. The lack of carbonation really hurt this beer.

T- The taste was just like the smell. No matter how long I washed this beer around my mouth, it was hard to get much out of it. Carbonation would have helped show off some of the hops.

M- Very creamy. Served at a good temperature. It could have been that I was searching for more flavor, but I did not have a problem letting this beer wander my palate.

D- I was not wowed, but I am curious to try this beer in its carbonated form. From what I got out of it though, it was a good run of the mill IPA, nothing more.

2.73/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: a lightish yellow, almost strawy color. a tad too clear. white head that doesn't really stick around

Smell: citrusy hops all day. not bad but i really like a lot more dimensions in my beer

Taste: opens up more with both citrus and breadiness, but very unbalanced and just plan not very tasty to me

Mouthfeel: way too bitter. extremely sticky

Overall: I love Arbor Brewing. This beer just does not do it. It could use a unique dimension or just more balance rather than being a citrusy tangy bitter bomb.

2.85/5  rDev -23%

Serving size was 12 oz in pint glass.

A- Hazy coppery gold with a 3 finger thick head that eventually collapses to a thin film. Small bits of coppery sediment are in suspension and on the foam.

S-Typical hoppy smell at pour quickly diminishes.

T-Piney,resiny bitter hops at beginning with moderate carbonation.Watery middle,I was expecting some spicy notes. Not really picking up the grains at all. Sharp lingering bitter finish.

M-light to moderate slightly watery mouthfeel.

D- Pretty disappointed because local relatives raved about this beer.I've had many finer examples of this style. Perhaps the sediment and quickly fading smell reveal a beer past it's prime or improperly stored. Will try again next visit on tap if possible.

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

2.93/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear golden-orange color with a massively huge, dense, off white head. The smell has a hint of spice which I wouldn't normally associate with an IPA. That being said, I have a hard time distinguishing the hops as anything but spicey. The flavor also reflects the spicey phenol flavor which seems out of style. For an IPA, I'm not really impressed. There isn't any in your face hops about this one, although it is decently balanced and drinkable there isn't anything spectacular about this brew. The mouthfeel is fairly light in body and the carbonation is also on the lighter side.

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Samuel Adams glass. No bottling or best by date. The body was a dull golden that had a bit of sediment causing haze. There was a light tan head that settled to a film.

The smell was apple skins and a little sour rag. Floral. It became more pungent as it warmed. Organic hops, lightly spicy.

The taste was hops oils that lingered. Not really that bitter but hops oils. A bit like sucking on a penny. Earthy "dirty" hops flavor as it warmed. Spiciness. Subtle malts.

The mouthfeel was adequately zesty with a medium body/density.

Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA from Arbor Brewing Company