1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA - Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPAArbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA

good

good

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 07-30-2002)
Ratings: 264 | Reviews: 142 | Show All Ratings:
Beric

Indiana

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving: On tap at Arbor Brewing Company brewpub
Served: 4 July 2013

Appearance: A great looking IPA- good hazy, golden color with a half finger head that just sits around there forever. Looks pretty tasty.

Smell: Fresh floral hop notes.

Taste: While the hops were pretty assertive in the smell, in the taste they are significantly toned down. This IPA is certainly one that balances the malt profile and the hops, rather than having the hops overpower the whole thing. Normally, I would like that (and maybe even prefer it), but there is a very off putting bitterness that myself and some others I was with tasted when they had this one. It finishes extremely dry, almost uncomfortably so.

Mouthfeel: Decent, mouthfeel and good carbonation, though it did dissipate and thin out as I got to the bottom of the glass, which made it a little thin.

Overall: A decent IPA, and certainly one worth drinking if you're at ABC, but I liked their Buzzsaw IPA at their Ypsilanti location (Corner Brewery) much better.

07-05-2013 11:54:59 | More by Beric
SportsandJorts

2.73/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: a lightish yellow, almost strawy color. a tad too clear. white head that doesn't really stick around

Smell: citrusy hops all day. not bad but i really like a lot more dimensions in my beer

Taste: opens up more with both citrus and breadiness, but very unbalanced and just plan not very tasty to me

Mouthfeel: way too bitter. extremely sticky

Overall: I love Arbor Brewing. This beer just does not do it. It could use a unique dimension or just more balance rather than being a citrusy tangy bitter bomb.

05-05-2013 03:03:14 | More by SportsandJorts
BMMillsy

3.64/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one is ABC's main brew. Pours golden with plenty of carbonation bubbling up from the bottom and a one finger white head. Aroma is mostly pine, bitter for sure. Flavor follows this with a big focus on bitter pine flavors, some light sweetness, and not a whole lot else going on. While this is a solid brew, it could use a little more complexity. I'm happy to have it whenever I go, but not really one to seek out. Decent beer.

03-09-2012 15:18:04 | More by BMMillsy
Thorpe429

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at the brewpub. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a retty dark copper brown considering he style. A bit of hear. Nose brings some citrus and tropical notes along with some sweetness. Taste is slightly bitter but more so sweet with a bit of citrus. Moderate body. Drinks fairly well all things considered. A worthy brew.

10-12-2010 11:48:31 | More by Thorpe429
jrallen34

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

I had this at the brew pub in a sampler. This is a middle of the road beer, nothing great nothing really bad about it either, probably not worth trying. A decent ipa, light aroma of lemon and hops, light hops in the taste, more of a pale ale quality to me.

07-25-2010 00:07:16 | More by jrallen34
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap at The Hunt Club. Yellow with a significant head, and then lacey. Average mouthfeel. Very bitter and then drying, so if there was complexity of flavours it was a jumbe in the hops. Drinkable, but only average for the style. Maybe better on cask the way the brewery began serving it.

08-09-2009 13:57:32 | More by Sammy
guntherhophead

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden amber in appearance with thin, lacey head. Scents of light hops with faint citrus. Hop taste with a hint of molasses, apple and peppery spice. The mouthfeel isn't bad but the lingering bitter after-taste, more so than a lot of I.P.A.s, detracts a bit from the overall experience. Not bad though.

02-11-2009 23:43:02 | More by guntherhophead
ahartmurmur

4.72/5  rDev +27.6%

I tried this beer at a local bar's 'Brewer Night' when the people from Arbor were at the bar. It was a good time.

It was a cloudy gold in the big 25oz mugs at the local bar i love so much. (Crunchy's for anyone interested).

I was in a college bar so my smell was screwed by the ambient smell. there was definitely some citrus hops coming through though.

Started out with a strong balanced bitterness and finished with the taste of grapefruit as if to remind me that i wanted to have another drink.

Full mouth feel, not disappointing in the least.

One of the best beers I've had and that may be due to my fondness of IPAs or my fondness for fresh beer. Either way i could have had a couple more if i didn't have classes in the morning.

03-29-2008 15:12:17 | More by ahartmurmur
jeremyd365

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

It appeared very dark with little head.

It smelled hoppy and perhaps a hint of citrus.

The taste reflected the smell pretty well.

It was quite heavy, perhaps one of the heaviest IPAs I've experienced. The Sacred Cow was good, but heavy enough that it keeps it quite a sipper.

03-21-2008 20:52:20 | More by jeremyd365
CharlesDarwin

Rhode Island

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

Originally reviewed on January 18, 2006. On tap at the brewpub. Cloudy orange, with yellow fringes. SIlky head of ivory. Buttery pine and floral aroma. Flavor is all hops, with no malt background. Mostly dissapointing. Straight metallic hop bitterness. With lime rind and oak. Finish is completely grassy. One dimensional.

12-06-2006 03:30:41 | More by CharlesDarwin
Crosling

Colorado

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Sampled on cask @ Arbor Brewing Company in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Golden color with a very small and quickly diminishing above foam. Bursting cascade aroma, spicy, peppery and grapefruity with hints of orange hinds. Pretty vibrant smelling. Bracingly bitter with an extremely dry hop assault. Piney and resiny, with a touch of toasted malt. Pretty delicious, though not balanced and the body could be improved.

03-20-2006 22:08:33 | More by Crosling
nukem5

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a cloudy orange color with light tan head great lacing.

S: Aroma is of citrus hops with slight honey smell.

T: Taste is of bitter hops and citrus, sweet malts in the back.

M: Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with nice light carbonation.

O: Overall a great beer and will drink and seek out.

01-25-2014 22:20:16 | More by nukem5
Stinkypuss

3.81/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazed copper color with a white head and lace. Aroma of pine, caramel and grapefruit. In the taste, grapefruit pith, pine and caramel. Strongly hoppy with a solid bitterness. Grapefruit is strong. Medium bodied, well carbonated, with a drying hop bite. Overall this is a good IPA. Big grapefruit.

09-22-2013 00:14:09 | More by Stinkypuss
Alextricity

3.66/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A solid looking amber color. I was working outside so I didn't pay much attention, but I did notice the massive head when I was pouring -- off-white, creamy. I had more head than beer when I first poured... don't be too aggressive with it. Not very much lacing despite the head.

Smell: Quite floral. Malty. Somewhat sweet. Nothing too memorable, but it definitely smells like an IPA.

Taste: Floral hops. Resinous. Somewhat dry. Mildly soapy. Drinks very easily. It's a pretty ordinary IPA, but it's a fair price, it's local, and there's nothing bad about it. It's pretty hoppy on the front, but balanced nicely, so it's not too assertive. I enjoy it.

A respectable beer. My first from Arbor, and it's good enough that I'd be more than willing to have another or try some of their other brews.

06-16-2013 22:12:23 | More by Alextricity
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.19/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Into a pint glass:

A: hazy orange/amber body with a one finger white foamy head that rises and falls and leaves some decent clingy lacing in the wake

S: burnt hops, slightly floral and citrusy, light malts come through as it warms a bit

T: balanced between bitter hops and malts, lingering bitter aftertaste and a quick dry finish

M: medium, slightly sessionable, seems a bit undercarbonated as I was expecting more of an assault on my mouth from most AIPA's

O: I say a decent AIPA, probably not one I'd quickly come back to, but I'm glad I tried it

06-02-2013 11:42:48 | More by BeerKangaroo
Roman5150

Spain

3.54/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

bottle into snifter

appearance: dark cloudy orange, huge white head, very bubbly

smell: hay, very earthy, not much tropical notes,

taste: earthy bitterness, apple, almost a pilsner like body, very minor

mouthfeel: high carbonation, thin body

overall: A bitter IPA that's alright, not a whole lot of flavor but not terrible either. I'd reccomend trying it, but don't seek it out.

05-18-2013 04:49:18 | More by Roman5150
Connormick

3.09/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer was poured from the bottle to a clean pint glass. The appearance was fairly beautiful, with a nice think head and an interesting tan/copper color.

The smell was a little lackluster. I didn't smell much hops, which is something I think a good IPA should showcase. I did smell some nice fruity blend however.

The taste had a little more hops than the smell, which is good. I also tasted various citrus and floral-like flavors. But the drink lacked a taste of focus in it's taste, everything just sort of blended together without anything sticking out.

The mouthfeel was really interesting. It was pretty sparkling and fairly carbonated. Some people may not like it, but I loved the tiny shock I got every time I went to take a drink.

Overall it's a pretty good IPA. I'm not really a fan of IPA, but this one appeals to me. If you're not a huge IPA drinker this may be a good introduction into it. It may not appeal to big IPA drinkers, however, because of the lack of a hoppy focus.

05-10-2013 04:22:35 | More by Connormick
buschbeer

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is a dark amber with gold highlights. Three inches of beige head lingers atop.

S - I get some floral hops that remind me of soap. I just do not get much on the nose.

T - I get some light caramel malt. Some bitterness grows the more I drink. It's not citrus or pine. Just a growing bitterness.

M - Medium

O - This is a weak ipa. I would be better labeled as a pale ale. I guess I could see it passing as an English ipa. It's not terrible, just not a great ipa by any means.

02-02-2013 14:18:59 | More by buschbeer
neenerzig

4.31/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses. This beer pours a fairly hazy/cloudy medium copper color with a nice off-white/tan head that is well over an inch thick when first poured. head eventually settles to a nice surface coating with a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Excellent lacing here too! Nice pine and citrus ho aroma followed by a bit of toasted malt. Has an excellent pine and grapefruit citrus, earthy hop bitterness upfront followed once again by slightly toasted caramel malt sweetness. The hop bitterness certainly dominates, and there is a good balance with the malty sweetness. Has a good crisp, frothy, somewhat prickly, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. A very good beer that is spot on in pretty much all aspects for this style of beer! Too bad I can't buy this beer here where I live because I would certainly like to drink it again!

Eric

01-17-2013 04:19:13 | More by neenerzig
hopsolutely

Ontario (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

A present from a friend and a truly pleasant surprise, significantly better than the IPA I remember sampling at the pub two years ago. I wouldn't have purchased a bottle based on that memory, but will now definitely give them a second chance.

Pours a hazy copper colour with a decent head and much lacing, despite a lack of obvious carbonation. Aroma is subtle and malt-forward with a slight metallic tinge. There is no indication of brew date on the bottle that I can see, and although I received it recently, doesn't mean it was purchased fresh. The flavour ends with a delightfully bitter finish, one that lingers for an impressive length of time. Some citrus and tea hop tones in the forefront play well off the caramelized malts, but the bittering hops with their grapefruit note are the true highlight.

11-30-2012 02:20:22 | More by hopsolutely
SometimesIfart

4.58/5  rDev +23.8%

A - Pours copper with a monster three finger head. No lacing.

S - A good mix between grapefruit and malt. No hop presence.

T - Hop resin, grapefruit, strong malt, lemon, wheat, mango, hops hops and more hops. Delicious.

M - Creamy, medium to heavy carbonation with a medium body.

O - Overall, I thought that this was a wonderful IPA. Certainly better than what the rating average would have you believe. I would definitely buy this stuff again.

10-24-2012 03:24:33 | More by SometimesIfart
RblWthACoz

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Eh. This is decent, I guess. It doesn't really pop in my mouth like I would hope an IPA would. Carries a thick body and a lasting flavor. Considering the style, I suppose that I have greater expectations. So, overall, this falls short and doesn't really do much for me.

08-24-2012 16:34:30 | More by RblWthACoz
Beer_Runner

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

No enjoy by date on the label.
Slow pour into a standard pint glass.

A: Poured to a hughe four-plus fingers of creamy and fizzy, khaki colored head that disapated to one finger and left some lacing. The brew is a medium copper color and a little cloudy.

S: The aroma is mild and consists of a light, piney hops and some sweet caramel malt.

T: The taste has a strong herbal and earthy hops bitterness. There is very little malt in the flavor, but just enough smooth the harsh edge of the hops bitterness.

M: The body is medium to light with a lot of carbonation - almost a stinging and tingling amount of carbonation.

O: This is truly a hops forward IPA. The malt is not there to balance the hops but only to every so slightly dull the harshest edge of the hops bitterness. The brew does not have much complexity to the hops, and it could use just a little less carbonation.

06-23-2012 21:42:17 | More by Beer_Runner
jeremy13586

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle that I received from one of the regulars at my bar a couple of months ago. I wish that I had gotten to it sooner.

The color was a very cloudy copper. Poured a two-finger fluffy head that was a very light khaki. The head stuck around for a while, but then deflated rather quickly. Also, a shit ton of floaties. It would have gotten a higher rating if it weren't for that.

Pretty malt-forward in the nose. Toasted bread and caramel. Some light citric and grassy hops ride just beneath the malt, though they did come out more as the beer warmed.

Aaahhh, there's the hoppiness. Matches the nose in that the same flavors/scents are there. The hops are now predominant and they take on a very orangey taste. The bready sweetness is now underlying and it finishes a bit muddy, but there is a nice bit of caramel to make you overlook it.

This was an incredibly smooth IPA. It had an average body, but the drinkability was very nice.

I'd say this is a fairly average IPA. The lacking nose was actually a nice lead-up to how the beer tastes, but I absolutely hate floaties. I think they ruined it for me. If I ever have the chance to try another one of these, I'll have to make sure that I try it immediately.

05-21-2012 05:06:14 | More by jeremy13586
Jason

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Dense rocky head, hazed golden amber

SMELL: Oily citric rind, nectarines, estery, toasted biscuits, nutty yeast, mild caramel

TASTE: Orange zest, mild toasted biscuit, warming alcohol, hop bitterness, yeasty, taffy, evergreen, mango, bitter semi-dry finish

A solid IPA, 80 IBUs? Sure it is bitter but I focused on the well rounded hop character rather than just the bitterness. A balanced drinkable IPA.

02-27-2012 00:58:32 | More by Jason