2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA - Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPAArbor Brewing Sacred Cow IPA

good

good

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 07-30-2002)
Ratings: 266 | Reviews: 142 | Show All Ratings:
ypsifly

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Purchased at the source as a growler. I kept it cool for the 20min ride home and drank within a couple hours. Currently on cask at the brewpub.

Thin ring of foam over dark orange. As this is casked, not much lace but that is expected.

The nose is very citric and piney. Almost all hops with just a hint of malty sweetness. Almost balanced, but I do like the hop aromas.

Tastes piney and citric as well. This time, however, there is more malt flavor and which gives the taste much more balance than the nose. Nice dry bitter finish.

Given this is a cask ale sampled from a growler, the mouth is a bit thin yet the flavors make up for it. The drying almost puckery hop profile takes up most of the slack from the missing carbonation. Very good when sampled from the hand pull.

The best aspect of this beer is the strong hop flavors. I really like the strength of the flavors and how well they match up with the plate of sharp cheddar, blue and even muenster cheeses I paired this with.

Serving type: growler

05-01-2006 18:30:57 | More by ypsifly
nukem5

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a cloudy orange color with light tan head great lacing.

S: Aroma is of citrus hops with slight honey smell.

T: Taste is of bitter hops and citrus, sweet malts in the back.

M: Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with nice light carbonation.

O: Overall a great beer and will drink and seek out.

01-25-2014 22:20:16 | More by nukem5
Stinkypuss

3.81/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazed copper color with a white head and lace. Aroma of pine, caramel and grapefruit. In the taste, grapefruit pith, pine and caramel. Strongly hoppy with a solid bitterness. Grapefruit is strong. Medium bodied, well carbonated, with a drying hop bite. Overall this is a good IPA. Big grapefruit.

09-22-2013 00:14:09 | More by Stinkypuss
Beric

Indiana

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving: On tap at Arbor Brewing Company brewpub
Served: 4 July 2013

Appearance: A great looking IPA- good hazy, golden color with a half finger head that just sits around there forever. Looks pretty tasty.

Smell: Fresh floral hop notes.

Taste: While the hops were pretty assertive in the smell, in the taste they are significantly toned down. This IPA is certainly one that balances the malt profile and the hops, rather than having the hops overpower the whole thing. Normally, I would like that (and maybe even prefer it), but there is a very off putting bitterness that myself and some others I was with tasted when they had this one. It finishes extremely dry, almost uncomfortably so.

Mouthfeel: Decent, mouthfeel and good carbonation, though it did dissipate and thin out as I got to the bottom of the glass, which made it a little thin.

Overall: A decent IPA, and certainly one worth drinking if you're at ABC, but I liked their Buzzsaw IPA at their Ypsilanti location (Corner Brewery) much better.

07-05-2013 11:54:59 | More by Beric
Alextricity

3.66/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A solid looking amber color. I was working outside so I didn't pay much attention, but I did notice the massive head when I was pouring -- off-white, creamy. I had more head than beer when I first poured... don't be too aggressive with it. Not very much lacing despite the head.

Smell: Quite floral. Malty. Somewhat sweet. Nothing too memorable, but it definitely smells like an IPA.

Taste: Floral hops. Resinous. Somewhat dry. Mildly soapy. Drinks very easily. It's a pretty ordinary IPA, but it's a fair price, it's local, and there's nothing bad about it. It's pretty hoppy on the front, but balanced nicely, so it's not too assertive. I enjoy it.

A respectable beer. My first from Arbor, and it's good enough that I'd be more than willing to have another or try some of their other brews.

06-16-2013 22:12:23 | More by Alextricity
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.19/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Into a pint glass:

A: hazy orange/amber body with a one finger white foamy head that rises and falls and leaves some decent clingy lacing in the wake

S: burnt hops, slightly floral and citrusy, light malts come through as it warms a bit

T: balanced between bitter hops and malts, lingering bitter aftertaste and a quick dry finish

M: medium, slightly sessionable, seems a bit undercarbonated as I was expecting more of an assault on my mouth from most AIPA's

O: I say a decent AIPA, probably not one I'd quickly come back to, but I'm glad I tried it

06-02-2013 11:42:48 | More by BeerKangaroo
Roman5150

Spain

3.54/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

bottle into snifter

appearance: dark cloudy orange, huge white head, very bubbly

smell: hay, very earthy, not much tropical notes,

taste: earthy bitterness, apple, almost a pilsner like body, very minor

mouthfeel: high carbonation, thin body

overall: A bitter IPA that's alright, not a whole lot of flavor but not terrible either. I'd reccomend trying it, but don't seek it out.

05-18-2013 04:49:18 | More by Roman5150
Connormick

3.09/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer was poured from the bottle to a clean pint glass. The appearance was fairly beautiful, with a nice think head and an interesting tan/copper color.

The smell was a little lackluster. I didn't smell much hops, which is something I think a good IPA should showcase. I did smell some nice fruity blend however.

The taste had a little more hops than the smell, which is good. I also tasted various citrus and floral-like flavors. But the drink lacked a taste of focus in it's taste, everything just sort of blended together without anything sticking out.

The mouthfeel was really interesting. It was pretty sparkling and fairly carbonated. Some people may not like it, but I loved the tiny shock I got every time I went to take a drink.

Overall it's a pretty good IPA. I'm not really a fan of IPA, but this one appeals to me. If you're not a huge IPA drinker this may be a good introduction into it. It may not appeal to big IPA drinkers, however, because of the lack of a hoppy focus.

05-10-2013 04:22:35 | More by Connormick
SportsandJorts

2.73/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: a lightish yellow, almost strawy color. a tad too clear. white head that doesn't really stick around

Smell: citrusy hops all day. not bad but i really like a lot more dimensions in my beer

Taste: opens up more with both citrus and breadiness, but very unbalanced and just plan not very tasty to me

Mouthfeel: way too bitter. extremely sticky

Overall: I love Arbor Brewing. This beer just does not do it. It could use a unique dimension or just more balance rather than being a citrusy tangy bitter bomb.

05-05-2013 03:03:14 | More by SportsandJorts
buschbeer

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is a dark amber with gold highlights. Three inches of beige head lingers atop.

S - I get some floral hops that remind me of soap. I just do not get much on the nose.

T - I get some light caramel malt. Some bitterness grows the more I drink. It's not citrus or pine. Just a growing bitterness.

M - Medium

O - This is a weak ipa. I would be better labeled as a pale ale. I guess I could see it passing as an English ipa. It's not terrible, just not a great ipa by any means.

02-02-2013 14:18:59 | More by buschbeer
neenerzig

4.31/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses. This beer pours a fairly hazy/cloudy medium copper color with a nice off-white/tan head that is well over an inch thick when first poured. head eventually settles to a nice surface coating with a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Excellent lacing here too! Nice pine and citrus ho aroma followed by a bit of toasted malt. Has an excellent pine and grapefruit citrus, earthy hop bitterness upfront followed once again by slightly toasted caramel malt sweetness. The hop bitterness certainly dominates, and there is a good balance with the malty sweetness. Has a good crisp, frothy, somewhat prickly, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. A very good beer that is spot on in pretty much all aspects for this style of beer! Too bad I can't buy this beer here where I live because I would certainly like to drink it again!

Eric

01-17-2013 04:19:13 | More by neenerzig
hopsolutely

Ontario (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

A present from a friend and a truly pleasant surprise, significantly better than the IPA I remember sampling at the pub two years ago. I wouldn't have purchased a bottle based on that memory, but will now definitely give them a second chance.

Pours a hazy copper colour with a decent head and much lacing, despite a lack of obvious carbonation. Aroma is subtle and malt-forward with a slight metallic tinge. There is no indication of brew date on the bottle that I can see, and although I received it recently, doesn't mean it was purchased fresh. The flavour ends with a delightfully bitter finish, one that lingers for an impressive length of time. Some citrus and tea hop tones in the forefront play well off the caramelized malts, but the bittering hops with their grapefruit note are the true highlight.

11-30-2012 02:20:22 | More by hopsolutely
SometimesIfart

4.58/5  rDev +23.8%

A - Pours copper with a monster three finger head. No lacing.

S - A good mix between grapefruit and malt. No hop presence.

T - Hop resin, grapefruit, strong malt, lemon, wheat, mango, hops hops and more hops. Delicious.

M - Creamy, medium to heavy carbonation with a medium body.

O - Overall, I thought that this was a wonderful IPA. Certainly better than what the rating average would have you believe. I would definitely buy this stuff again.

10-24-2012 03:24:33 | More by SometimesIfart
RblWthACoz

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Eh. This is decent, I guess. It doesn't really pop in my mouth like I would hope an IPA would. Carries a thick body and a lasting flavor. Considering the style, I suppose that I have greater expectations. So, overall, this falls short and doesn't really do much for me.

08-24-2012 16:34:30 | More by RblWthACoz
Beer_Runner

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

No enjoy by date on the label.
Slow pour into a standard pint glass.

A: Poured to a hughe four-plus fingers of creamy and fizzy, khaki colored head that disapated to one finger and left some lacing. The brew is a medium copper color and a little cloudy.

S: The aroma is mild and consists of a light, piney hops and some sweet caramel malt.

T: The taste has a strong herbal and earthy hops bitterness. There is very little malt in the flavor, but just enough smooth the harsh edge of the hops bitterness.

M: The body is medium to light with a lot of carbonation - almost a stinging and tingling amount of carbonation.

O: This is truly a hops forward IPA. The malt is not there to balance the hops but only to every so slightly dull the harshest edge of the hops bitterness. The brew does not have much complexity to the hops, and it could use just a little less carbonation.

06-23-2012 21:42:17 | More by Beer_Runner
jeremy13586

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle that I received from one of the regulars at my bar a couple of months ago. I wish that I had gotten to it sooner.

The color was a very cloudy copper. Poured a two-finger fluffy head that was a very light khaki. The head stuck around for a while, but then deflated rather quickly. Also, a shit ton of floaties. It would have gotten a higher rating if it weren't for that.

Pretty malt-forward in the nose. Toasted bread and caramel. Some light citric and grassy hops ride just beneath the malt, though they did come out more as the beer warmed.

Aaahhh, there's the hoppiness. Matches the nose in that the same flavors/scents are there. The hops are now predominant and they take on a very orangey taste. The bready sweetness is now underlying and it finishes a bit muddy, but there is a nice bit of caramel to make you overlook it.

This was an incredibly smooth IPA. It had an average body, but the drinkability was very nice.

I'd say this is a fairly average IPA. The lacking nose was actually a nice lead-up to how the beer tastes, but I absolutely hate floaties. I think they ruined it for me. If I ever have the chance to try another one of these, I'll have to make sure that I try it immediately.

05-21-2012 05:06:14 | More by jeremy13586
BMMillsy

3.64/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one is ABC's main brew. Pours golden with plenty of carbonation bubbling up from the bottom and a one finger white head. Aroma is mostly pine, bitter for sure. Flavor follows this with a big focus on bitter pine flavors, some light sweetness, and not a whole lot else going on. While this is a solid brew, it could use a little more complexity. I'm happy to have it whenever I go, but not really one to seek out. Decent beer.

03-09-2012 15:18:04 | More by BMMillsy
Jason

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Dense rocky head, hazed golden amber

SMELL: Oily citric rind, nectarines, estery, toasted biscuits, nutty yeast, mild caramel

TASTE: Orange zest, mild toasted biscuit, warming alcohol, hop bitterness, yeasty, taffy, evergreen, mango, bitter semi-dry finish

A solid IPA, 80 IBUs? Sure it is bitter but I focused on the well rounded hop character rather than just the bitterness. A balanced drinkable IPA.

02-27-2012 00:58:32 | More by Jason
warnerry

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours a cloudy amber with one finger oh head that dissipates quickly.

S - Floral and citrus hops are about all I get from this. Smell is pretty appealing though.

T - Nice hop bitterness up front. The is some pine in the taste that I didn't get from the smell. Pretty good.

M - Medium mouthfeel that coats the palate somewhat. Good carbonation level.

O - Not the best IPA around, but one of the better beers I've had from Arbor.

02-27-2012 00:54:12 | More by warnerry
gopens44

3.7/5  rDev 0%

Mountainous beige frothy head rests on the translucent caramel colored beer. A bright immediate citrus aroma drifts ahead of a more malty fragrance. Taste leaps out as quickly with the citrus taste as the nose brings it about but the difference here is the overwhelming bitterness followed by a peppery finish. Body is thin and highly carbonated with an aftertaste that is bitter but also a little cola like, odd as that may seem. Overall, this does not dissapoint. Tasty and enjoyable.

01-08-2012 00:58:06 | More by gopens44
tapman

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

1 finger of rich, creamy off-white foam. Body is a dark red-brown and is quite opaque from even a careful pour. Sweet, fresh baked toffee-chip cookies and fruity, floral, and slightly spicy hop notes in the nose. Malt flavor is heavy on the darker malts and has a sweet, raisin-like red ale quality while the hops are moderately high in bitterness and taste vegetal and soapy. Mouth is a dry and a little grainy from all the beasties floating around.

A decent brew, but very heavy all the malt. I prefer them slightly cleaner, but still pretty good.

01-02-2012 05:09:23 | More by tapman
tenaciousp65

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

a- pours a dark amber with a nice one and half inch head

s-it smells like an ipa but with a more earthy, grass smell. hard to describe

t-the hops come through quick but quickly move out of the way for a gentle and deep balance of malt that almost tastes like corn

m-this is really smooth and none of the flavors are overpowering

o- this is a really nice IPA. I don't know if I'd rush out to buy or recommend this one but it certainly gets the job done

12-13-2011 02:29:01 | More by tenaciousp65
Spiekerbox

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

A- Deep orange, amberish. Cloudy with a moderate white head that dissipates in a couple minutes while lacing on the glass.

S- More bitter pine and herbal but there are some citrus notes. Malt is also present behind the hops.

T- Mostly citrus hops and maltyness up front with pine at the end of the drink. Nice malty sweetness is also present. Not very bitter of an IPA, but the finish has that orange-peel bitterness which lingers afterward

M- Creamy and sticky with low to moderate carbonation. Body is moderate to thin.

O- Decent IPA but not one of my top choices, pretty easy to drink and is one of the few IPAs that you can drink for a while.

Not a factor in my rating but personally the fact that it is made in Ann Arbor gives me no desire to seek this one out.

11-29-2011 02:22:35 | More by Spiekerbox
WoodBrew

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I need to pay more attention when pouring some of these wonderful beers...I F'ing hate FLOATIES!!!! Pet peive...sorry. The Sacred Cow from Arcadia is a decent beer. The color is a cloudy copper and thin white head that seems to be lacing quite well. The smell is bolstered with apricot and maybe some sublte pine. The taste isnt bad. I am catching some belgium malt character which isnt my favorite, but there is some citrus and pine that helps to keep this beer towards my favorite. The mouthfeel is ok I porbably would choose to session this beer, but I could. Certainly worth a try if you can.

08-21-2011 23:23:05 | More by WoodBrew
DannyDan

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours out a copper color with a nice thin white head that maintains good retention and really nice lacing. The citrus, floral and pine comes through nicely in the nose letting you know this will be a beer worth drinking. The taste starts out with some citrus and pine hops and than get some sweet malts and more pine, citrus (grapefruit, tangerine, and little orange) and a hint of floral hops. The mouthfeel is smooth and dry, but pleasant to drink and overall one of the most balanced IPA's I have tasted. This is every bit as good as Stone, Loose Cannon, Avery, Sierra Nevada, Founders, Dark Horse and Mount Pleasant breweries IPA's. Highly recommend this to anyone that enjoys a good IPA.

08-14-2011 06:19:33 | More by DannyDan