Arbor Brewing Strawberry Blonde - Arbor Brewing Company

good

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.75% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jeremyd365 on 09-15-2009)
Reviews by SportsandJorts:
4.06/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: a reddish yellow color. Pretty hazy. A small head that quickly fades.

Smell: strong strawberry sweetness. Maybe a little spice

Taste: sweet strawberries up front but it gives way to a Belgian styled spiciness. Quite pleasant

Mouthfeel. Refreshing and slightly on the heavier side

Overall: one of the better fruit beers I've had. Good fruit flavor but still remains a beer.

SportsandJorts, Jun 02, 2013
2.59/5  rDev -27.7%

Thanks, Tim, for the bottle. It pours somewhere around a deep amber and somewhat rustic copper color, opaque near the top and showing some slight translucency near the bottom. The head hardly lasts long enough to even mention; off-white and warped into a measly collar within a matter of seconds it seems.

Medicinal strawberry is never a good thing, and sadly that's what the aroma is delivering. Lightly sweet with some raw grains and musty, spent hops. Not reach much to talk about here. The medicinal and chalky character of the fruit is artificial and off-putting to say the least. I've smelled worse things, sure, but this isn't exactly a joy to sniff.

Again, the taste starts off with some medicinal, artificial strawberry notes that only grow more medicinal and more artificial with time. A little sweet, but in a weird, kind of astringent manner. Some strange, musty, syrupy, and chalky notes in the finish. Ambiguous, and not in a Christopher Columbus discovering new shit type of way. Just bleh, all around. Grainy and fake.

The mouth feel is thin, but that can certainly slide for this style. Lots and lots of carbonation, maybe a bit too much actually, as each sip cuts the upper lip sharp and swift. Just an uninteresting beer that isn't exactly well made. I've had worse, sure, but this just isn't very good. Don't expect much and maybe you won't be too upset.

tectactoe, Sep 19, 2013
3.65/5  rDev +2%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #59 (December 2011):

LOOK: Nearly opaque rusty amber

SMELL: Ripe strawberries, juicy, yeast, crackers, herbal, very mild tartness

TASTE: Dirty muddled strawberries, crisp, slick, tart juice, dried grass, dry biscuits, warming alcoholic esters, bitter phenols, pulling dryness, husky dry finish

This raw concoction has some surprises, and grasps tightly to its own uniqueness, which includes orange peel and coriander on top of fresh strawberries and strawberry essence. Lively and rustic comes to mind. Would stand up nicely to pungent cheeses.

BeerAdvocate, May 02, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

WuAnquo1, Jan 07, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a golden orange color with a white head. The aroma is corn with some sugar, wheat and strawberries. The flavor has a lot of strawberries and wheat notes and also smells a little bit like Fruity Pebbles. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Jul 03, 2010
3.44/5  rDev -3.9%

Strawberry? Maybe. Blonde? It may or may not be the attempted base beer, but this one is a heavy and extremely clouded orange-red in the glass. The dusty tan head begins at one finger's height, moderate retention showing as it ends up a thick layer of foam. Left clinging to the glass is just more than a modicum of patching.
Strawberry is as tangy as anything else, more so than sweet but with some of that. It ends up being more like unripened strawberry, a sharp bite on the nose. Malts are both dusty and crackery, and the yeast makes something of a gently spicy, earthy presence while some herb backs it up.
Sweetness come out on the tongue but ends up tasting a bit saccharine, somewhat heavy and cloying. It's a little too much like the strawberry syrup that's naturally derived but is loaded with corn syrup. Malts are still there, and backup from very light, grassy and herbal hops, but the sweetness threatens to overcome it. It may be my imagination, but somehow I get something like clove in here as well.
The feel begins a little cloying, but some crispness and the steady, firm carbonation cut through it. There's an interesting phenolic sort of bite that translates to the feel, too, and carries into the finish.

Brenden, Apr 10, 2014

king75, Apr 18, 2014

Dustin_A_Stoutdrinker, May 15, 2014

ianpstephens, Jul 17, 2013

Aznyinyang36, Jul 25, 2014

Color: sits a hazy, burnt amber

Smell: even balance of beligian wheat and yeast and strawberry

Taste: smell translates perfectly into pallate. strawberry flavor balances the wheat and yeast flavors

Mouthfeel: low carbonation. low-med body

Notes: delicious variation of the style

Frosty80, Nov 18, 2009

kynap55, Jun 01, 2014

SubtleblinK, Jan 30, 2013

Buck_Jones, Sep 07, 2014

HardyA, Jun 08, 2013

stortore, Aug 01, 2014
3.29/5  rDev -8.1%

I picked up a bottle of Arbor Brewing's Strawberry Blonde last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I've tried a few strawberry beers this year and have yet to find one that I like, so I thought I would give this one a shot, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label isn't that good looking, it looks cheesy and childish to me. It poured a hazy darker orange color that took on some brighter ruby and amber colors when held to the light with two fingers worth of slight off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little lacing behind. This was nice looking beer, the strawberry seems to have imparted some nice colors to the Blonde Ale.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by nice dose of fresh strawberry's that are noticeable but not overpowering, which I like. After that comes some more berry like aromas along with a slight creamy aroma and a lighter medium boozy aroma that was a little unexpected. Up next I get some of those malts that have a grainy and slight cracker liker aroma. I also get a unique earthy and pretty herbal aroma followed by a lighter tart aroma. This beer had a good aroma, it wasn't overpowered by strawberry and it let me know that it was still a beer.

T- The taste seems to be much different than the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that seem to stick out a lot and impart a very grainy, slight bready, and very cracker like malt flavor that seems to dominate the flavor. Up next comes a real slight bit of strawberrys that quickly fades into a slight herbal flavor. On the finish there's a pretty much no bitterness, just a slight bit of tartness in it's place, the aftertaste is very grainy and cracker like with a slight bit of strawberrys that linger. I thought the taste was pretty average, I wish it was much more like the aroma.

M- Smooth, crisp, light bodied, with a higher amount of carbonation that was pretty prickly and fizzy. The mouthfeel was average, the carbonation was too high for the style and it didn't work well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was mediocre at best and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, the aroma had me expecting some good things but when I got to the taste I was pretty let down and that was the same case when I got to the mouthfeel. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth and a little refreshing, but the flavors just couldn't hold my attention so one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was good and it was a nice departure from the normal strawberry overload that I get a lot in this style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and mouthfeel, they were the downfall of this beer and they both seemed a little out of place for the style. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I think it's overpriced at $2.19 a bottle, I wouldn't recommend this one to anyone. All in all this was another disappointing strawberry beer, I know that there has to be a brewery that can make a good strawberry beer, but i have yet to find them. The aroma had my attention, but it was a lost when I tasted it, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, May 15, 2013

sblanton83, May 05, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

tmiotke, Sep 01, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +15.4%

I've had a bottle of this since last summer sitting in my basement fridge, then in my beer cellar, and then in my fridge again during a 9 month period. Poured into my Stone imperial pint glass. This beer pours a cloudy, hazy dark golden/medium copper color with a bit of an orange hue when held up to the light. The beer has lots and lots of little bubbles rising up to the surface when first poured. The white head was huge initially when first poured before settling to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with a nice film layer of foam on the beer's surface. Nice lacing. Aromas of bready yeast, biscuity and slightly toasted caramel malt, and strawberry. I swear I could smell it in the bottle before I even cracked it open. The taste pretty much follows suit, bready yeast, biscuity and slightly toasted caramel malt, a slight famhouse funk, wheat, and strawberries. Very good mix of flavors. I know that this style of beer isn't really recommended for agint, but it works well here. I really like this one! Has a crisp, smooth, frothy, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This was a tasty one!

Eric