Arbor Brewing Strawberry Blonde - Arbor Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 102 | Reviews: 21
Reviews by tectactoe:
2.62/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks, Tim, for the bottle. It pours somewhere around a deep amber and somewhat rustic copper color, opaque near the top and showing some slight translucency near the bottom. The head hardly lasts long enough to even mention; off-white and warped into a measly collar within a matter of seconds it seems.

Medicinal strawberry is never a good thing, and sadly that's what the aroma is delivering. Lightly sweet with some raw grains and musty, spent hops. Not reach much to talk about here. The medicinal and chalky character of the fruit is artificial and off-putting to say the least. I've smelled worse things, sure, but this isn't exactly a joy to sniff.

Again, the taste starts off with some medicinal, artificial strawberry notes that only grow more medicinal and more artificial with time. A little sweet, but in a weird, kind of astringent manner. Some strange, musty, syrupy, and chalky notes in the finish. Ambiguous, and not in a Christopher Columbus discovering new shit type of way. Just bleh, all around. Grainy and fake.

The mouth feel is thin, but that can certainly slide for this style. Lots and lots of carbonation, maybe a bit too much actually, as each sip cuts the upper lip sharp and swift. Just an uninteresting beer that isn't exactly well made. I've had worse, sure, but this just isn't very good. Don't expect much and maybe you won't be too upset.

3.67/5  rDev +2.5%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #59 (December 2011):

LOOK: Nearly opaque rusty amber

SMELL: Ripe strawberries, juicy, yeast, crackers, herbal, very mild tartness

TASTE: Dirty muddled strawberries, crisp, slick, tart juice, dried grass, dry biscuits, warming alcoholic esters, bitter phenols, pulling dryness, husky dry finish

This raw concoction has some surprises, and grasps tightly to its own uniqueness, which includes orange peel and coriander on top of fresh strawberries and strawberry essence. Lively and rustic comes to mind. Would stand up nicely to pungent cheeses.

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a golden orange color with a white head. The aroma is corn with some sugar, wheat and strawberries. The flavor has a lot of strawberries and wheat notes and also smells a little bit like Fruity Pebbles. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A good dose of strawberry on the nose, light malt.
Hazy amber with a tint of brownish red reminiscent of the color of other strawberry flavored beverages I have had. 1" bone white foam cap.
Palate: strawberry and bread to biscuit with a nice balance between the two, a touch of pepper on the end, some Belgian yeast - peach or apricot - flavors behind the strawberry.
Medium to full body. Medium to even medium low carbonation

3.46/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Strawberry? Maybe. Blonde? It may or may not be the attempted base beer, but this one is a heavy and extremely clouded orange-red in the glass. The dusty tan head begins at one finger's height, moderate retention showing as it ends up a thick layer of foam. Left clinging to the glass is just more than a modicum of patching.
Strawberry is as tangy as anything else, more so than sweet but with some of that. It ends up being more like unripened strawberry, a sharp bite on the nose. Malts are both dusty and crackery, and the yeast makes something of a gently spicy, earthy presence while some herb backs it up.
Sweetness come out on the tongue but ends up tasting a bit saccharine, somewhat heavy and cloying. It's a little too much like the strawberry syrup that's naturally derived but is loaded with corn syrup. Malts are still there, and backup from very light, grassy and herbal hops, but the sweetness threatens to overcome it. It may be my imagination, but somehow I get something like clove in here as well.
The feel begins a little cloying, but some crispness and the steady, firm carbonation cut through it. There's an interesting phenolic sort of bite that translates to the feel, too, and carries into the finish.

Color: sits a hazy, burnt amber

Smell: even balance of beligian wheat and yeast and strawberry

Taste: smell translates perfectly into pallate. strawberry flavor balances the wheat and yeast flavors

Mouthfeel: low carbonation. low-med body

Notes: delicious variation of the style

3.34/5  rDev -6.7%

I picked up a bottle of Arbor Brewing's Strawberry Blonde last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I've tried a few strawberry beers this year and have yet to find one that I like, so I thought I would give this one a shot, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label isn't that good looking, it looks cheesy and childish to me. It poured a hazy darker orange color that took on some brighter ruby and amber colors when held to the light with two fingers worth of slight off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little lacing behind. This was nice looking beer, the strawberry seems to have imparted some nice colors to the Blonde Ale.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by nice dose of fresh strawberry's that are noticeable but not overpowering, which I like. After that comes some more berry like aromas along with a slight creamy aroma and a lighter medium boozy aroma that was a little unexpected. Up next I get some of those malts that have a grainy and slight cracker liker aroma. I also get a unique earthy and pretty herbal aroma followed by a lighter tart aroma. This beer had a good aroma, it wasn't overpowered by strawberry and it let me know that it was still a beer.

T- The taste seems to be much different than the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that seem to stick out a lot and impart a very grainy, slight bready, and very cracker like malt flavor that seems to dominate the flavor. Up next comes a real slight bit of strawberrys that quickly fades into a slight herbal flavor. On the finish there's a pretty much no bitterness, just a slight bit of tartness in it's place, the aftertaste is very grainy and cracker like with a slight bit of strawberrys that linger. I thought the taste was pretty average, I wish it was much more like the aroma.

M- Smooth, crisp, light bodied, with a higher amount of carbonation that was pretty prickly and fizzy. The mouthfeel was average, the carbonation was too high for the style and it didn't work well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was mediocre at best and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, the aroma had me expecting some good things but when I got to the taste I was pretty let down and that was the same case when I got to the mouthfeel. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth and a little refreshing, but the flavors just couldn't hold my attention so one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was good and it was a nice departure from the normal strawberry overload that I get a lot in this style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and mouthfeel, they were the downfall of this beer and they both seemed a little out of place for the style. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I think it's overpriced at $2.19 a bottle, I wouldn't recommend this one to anyone. All in all this was another disappointing strawberry beer, I know that there has to be a brewery that can make a good strawberry beer, but i have yet to find them. The aroma had my attention, but it was a lost when I tasted it, better luck next time guys.

4.12/5  rDev +15.1%

I've had a bottle of this since last summer sitting in my basement fridge, then in my beer cellar, and then in my fridge again during a 9 month period. Poured into my Stone imperial pint glass. This beer pours a cloudy, hazy dark golden/medium copper color with a bit of an orange hue when held up to the light. The beer has lots and lots of little bubbles rising up to the surface when first poured. The white head was huge initially when first poured before settling to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with a nice film layer of foam on the beer's surface. Nice lacing. Aromas of bready yeast, biscuity and slightly toasted caramel malt, and strawberry. I swear I could smell it in the bottle before I even cracked it open. The taste pretty much follows suit, bready yeast, biscuity and slightly toasted caramel malt, a slight famhouse funk, wheat, and strawberries. Very good mix of flavors. I know that this style of beer isn't really recommended for agint, but it works well here. I really like this one! Has a crisp, smooth, frothy, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This was a tasty one!

Eric

2.42/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured into a Tulip.

A - Pours a ridiculously murky brown with a thin layer of white head and disappears quickly, also pretty much no lacing either. Lots of yeast on the bottom.

S - Fresh Strawberry and Strawberry jam smells hit right away, yeast and straw too.

T - Slight strawberry flavors, heavy yeast, and some spices like corriander and nutmug.

M - Watery, light bodied and loaded with carbonation.

D - Just not much flavor, the strawberry is almost non-existent and really watery. Glad I only bought a single, so it was a rip-off for $1.79. :) Try to avoid this.

4.04/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: a reddish yellow color. Pretty hazy. A small head that quickly fades.

Smell: strong strawberry sweetness. Maybe a little spice

Taste: sweet strawberries up front but it gives way to a Belgian styled spiciness. Quite pleasant

Mouthfeel. Refreshing and slightly on the heavier side

Overall: one of the better fruit beers I've had. Good fruit flavor but still remains a beer.

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

This beer should be classified as a fruit/vegetable beer and is classified wrong. Taking that into account:

Poured a cloudy straw color into a Weizen Glass with a medium head that lingered for a bit.

Aroma is of ripe fruit with pastry background.

Flavor is crisp, malty with a good measure of fruit acidity, it has a lingering, long and very pleasant finish This would be an excellent beer to have with a meal. I'm impressed.

Mouth feel is well structured, has a ripe berry roundness that is balanced with the carbonation. A Rich full flavor that coats the tongue.

I'll have this again and very soon on draft. You couldn't call this a session beer because of the ABV, but one or two won't hurt!

3.74/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours into a copper colored beer with a thin white head that disappears quickly. It has hardly any lacing and very little retention. The smell is of strawberries, yeast and wheat. The aromas are nicely balanced. The taste is strawberries, some hops, followed by wheat and some citrus flavor at the end. I think some coriander might also be in here too. The taste is pretty balanced, but the strawberry taste is a little too tart. Other than that it is not a bad tasting beer. The mouth feel is a light to medium feel that is a little watery with little carbonation. The thin body of this beer makes it very easy to drink.

4.34/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Big fan of fruit brews and this one is right up my alley. A beautiful light ale with the smell and taste of strawberry. Easily quaffed, and a great cap to a hot summer day. Bottled poured into Tulip glass for this session. Close enough to A2 to make the drive someday to the brewery, putting this one on the list to try on the tap.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a reddish-coppery and has a very nice sweet and malty nose. The mouthfeel is pretty solid--a lighter side of medium body. The taste is a nice mixture of bitter malts and fruity sweetness. It's a very drinkable beer, and although it wasn't quite my style, it was still decently enjoyable.

3.54/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving: On tap, 5oz sampler at Corner Brewery (ABC's Ypsilanti branch)
Served: 17 June 2013

Appearance: Looks like a nice amber color- a light copper/red-gold color with some nice small white bubbles on top. Not much head to speak of, but this could have been adversely affected by the sampler size. Looks very nice and welcoming.

Smell: This beer is called the "strawberry" blonde, but you can't really get any fruit notes in the nose- it just tastes rather 'beer-y'. Pretty nondescript, and certainly one area in which this beer could improve.

Taste: Unlike the head, you certainly get just a hint of strawberry flavor on the back end. Not sweet strawberry, though, but more like those freeze dried strawberries you used to think were the coolest thing in about 4th grade. The overall strawberry presence, I think, could be improved by using slightly riper (sweeter) strawberries, to provide just a bit more assertive strawberry flavor. However, the amount of strawberry in the beer very nicely compliments the overall body of the blonde beer backbone.

Mouthfeel: Feels nice and spritzy, and very refreshing.

Overall: This is a decent beer, but by no means the best from ABC (Corner Brewery). I would probably not buy this in any size bigger than their small, if I were to buy it again at all.

This is the worst smelling beer I have ever had. I had my door open after a long rain, with an exhaust fan pulling the cool night air into the house, so I assumed the horrid smell finding its way to my nose came from the wet grasslands and perhaps the neighbor dog outside...nope. It was the beer. I have never had the experience of smelling wet dog from a beer, Ive known skunk, this was simply wet dog/wet gym sock. Fail. Age listing was 3 months old, normal for this high of ABV. It has made me want to vomit it is so bad. Taste before I quaffed? 7/10; after? 1/10. Huge disappointment as I am from MI. I will be calling you in the morning. This was the worst ever beer I have EVER drank. I just hope I got a rank batch. This was 2 beers in, and I am feeling sick. .

2.7/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a dimpled English "pot" pint glass.
Murky, amber-brown in color, with a moderate head of foam
Aroma-Faint fruitiness and malt notes
Taste-Tart, unripe strawberries, caramel notes, some spiciness.
This beer does not seem to conform to style at all. Very unbalanced, not any hop profile to speak of, flavors do not complement each other at all. Overall, a pretty dissapointing offering.

2.15/5  rDev -39.9%

Massively murky caramel brown that fades to blurry orange along the edges. The brewers may have set out to brew a blonde ale or a Belgian pale ale, but SB doesn't look like either one. The beige colored cap is small, has terrible texture, isn't the least bit sticky and is leaving the glass as clean as a whistle.

The aroma has a modest strawberry essence, which makes me think that the bottle wasn't mislabeled. It also has quite a bit of caramel malt and a funkiness that seems out of place. So much for this offering being a fruit beer variation on Arbor's Brasserie Blonde Belgian.

Strawberry Blonde is seriously lousy stuff and is even worse than the beer mentioned in the previous paragraph. I would suspect advanced age, but I'm pretty sure that this is a relatively new release. Infection is possible, though unlikely.

Flavors include a flash of clay-covered strawberry (that fades quickly), unsweet caramel and too many medicinal phenols that taste like a shot of Laphroig was added to the glass. Even if the brewers were shooting for a funktastic farmhouse ale, they missed the mark widely. A brief return of berries on the finish doesn't come close to saving this ship from sinking like a stone.

The mouthfeel is way too thin and is almost flat besides. Not only isn't it Belgian-style ale good, it isn't good at all... no matter the criteria used.

Other than Bavarian Bliss and Espresso Love, I haven't been impressed with the handful of Arbor beers that I've had so far. Strawberry Blonde is a whole 'nother level of ineptitude. If you're a masochist, buy a bottle. If you're a sadist, buy a bottle for a friend.

3.21/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance - Pours a very cloudy amber/copper color with a half inch thick, off-white head that lasts a couple minutes. Has thin lacing.

Smell - Sweet with mostly strawberry aroma. I detect feint hints of wheat, and a yeasty bitterness.

Taste - VERY sweet and tarty.. tastes a little like wine to me. Mostly strawberry flavoring here. I also detect some clove or coriander, with citrus and wheat on the finish. It's hard to pinpoint the flavors because the strawberry is so dominant. Mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with quite a bit of carbonation.

Overall - It's nice to try something different. Although this beer is a little too sweet for me. It would definitely give me heartburn if I drank more than one lol..

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

Poured without much head but a nice looking copper color. The smell all strawberry and sweet. The taste was tart and lots of strawberry a bit dry and and finish that is dry. A fresh and a bit raw taste that is really enjoyable.

2.76/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer wasnt exactly what I was expecting. I was thinking a strawberry blond beer would have high notes of strawberry and a lighter feel to the beer. The actual taste of the strawberry flavor was not very full, tasted just a hint of strawberry and it wasn't all that pleasant. I probably wont be ordering this one again.

to view more.