Arbor Brewing Demetrius - Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing DemetriusArbor Brewing Demetrius

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 09-16-2010

Arbor Brewing Company is proud to offer this exclusive, limited-edition, hand-packaged and bottle-conditioned ale in the Belgian Aged Pale tradition. Our interpretation of this rare Belgian style was created by aging our Larry Hoppe Double IPA for six months in gueuze-innoculated oak casks and then bottle conditioning for a minimum of two months.
3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Arbor Brewing's Demetrius a couple weeks ago for $15.49 at The Lager Mill. It's been awhile since I've had a sour IPA and I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a Teku.

A- The label is nice, it's got a good design to it and it's just a little eye catching. It poured a nice amber red color that took on more of a ruby red hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy and creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the funky yeast being the first to show up and it imparts some brett and funky barnyard aromas that goes right into some nice oak aroma. Up next comes a fruity aroma with some berry and cherry aromas coming through and it goes into the hops which impart a earthy, grassy, herbal and spicy hop aroma with just a light amount of citrus hop aromas coming through. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, but I wish it was a little more balanced, I wish the hops showed up more.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the funky yeast still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma. Up next comes the IPA base which is noticeable with some malt and hops flavors and it's followed the oak which imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma. On the finish there's a lighter amount of medium tartness with a little more sweetness and it has a funky aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, it's got a little IPA, oak and sour going on, I like it.

M- Fairly smooth. very crisp, a little prickly, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I think the carbonation could be toned down a little.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, when it came to the taste all the different aspects showed up nicely and pretty evenly with no single aspect seeming out of place and they worked well with each other. This beer has nice drinkability, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, the carbonation might start to get to me after that. What I like the most about this beer was the balance when it came to the taste, it was very nice. What I like the least about this beer is the mouthfeel, it's a little overly carbonated. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for the style and I would recommend it to anyone interested in a sour IPA. All in all I liked this beer, it did have a couple aspects that were just a little rough around the edges, but when it came down to it it turned out to be a tasty beer and I enjoyed it. It's not my favorite beer from Arbor, but it's up there as one of the better ones and it's one of the better of the style, but I still prefer Le Terrior. Nice job guys, I enjoyed this sour IPA.

2.66/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

A: dark amber with no head at all
S: Subtly dank
T: What should you expect a sour IPA to taste like? Every idea I came up with is far from this reality. This tastes like a sour amber and the hops are downplayed.
M: Flat, no carbonation.

Overall: By reading other reviews I've come to the conclusion that other years had more carbonation. I think that's what I'm missing from this beer but the flavor profile is pleasant.

1.89/5  rDev -51%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I found this to be basically undrinkable. It was from the 2015 batch and more resembled turned wine then a sour.
A friend drank the other half and found it slightly more enjoyable... As it warms it becomes very bitter on the finish, he said. But he also wouldn't buy another.
Rating is a composite.
2015 version also was a regular metal cap, not a cork.

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance - 4.25/5
A beautiful deep orange color, with a reddish tinge. A couple fingers of foam upon initial pour, died down within a few minutes. Slightly clear. CAn see a sparse amount of large carbonation bubbles slowly rising to the top. Overall, a very nice look. I have no complaints.

Smell - 4.25/5
Hops, sour apples, cherries, lemon, grapefruit. A little bit of sweetness and a little spiciness. Overall, a nice aroma. Smells like a more hoppy and spicy version of a Jolly Pumpkin beer.

Taste - 4.25/5
Strong flavors of tart apples, lemons, grapefruit. A lots of hops taste, but the sour aspect is still the most prominent, which I like. Some Belgian spiciness as well. Overall a nice blend between the hops (from the IPA beer which they started with), and the sourness. And a good level of spiciness to top it off. This is a quality sour. Also, for being 9% you can barely taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium-bodied. A light to moderate level of carbonation. Fairly crisp. The tartness is not so strong that it totally overpowers your mouth every sip, as is the case with some sours I have tried. Smooth.

Overall - 4/5
Overall this was a great sour beer. There was just the right amount of hops, to add an interesting flavor, yet the fruity sour flavor was a little bit more dominant, as you would want in a great sour. A nicely balanced beer. Glad to support one of my favorite local breweries.

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, 2014 vintage bottling. Pours lightly hazy deep orange amber color with a 2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big tart cherry, green apple, lemon peel, tangerine, pineapple, red wine, oak, hay, straw, grass, light pine, leather, musty funk, light pepper, light vinegar, and yeast/oak earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good complexity and balance of fruity/funky yeast, hops, and oak barrel notes; with good strength. Taste of tart cherry, green apple, lemon peel, tangerine, pineapple, red wine, oak, hay, straw, grass, light pine, leather, toast, musty funk, light pepper, light vinegar, and yeast/oak earthiness. Good amount of fruity/oaky tartness and slight bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of tart cherry, green apple, lemon peel, tangerine, pineapple, red wine, oak, hay, straw, grass, light pine, leather, toast, musty funk, light pepper, light vinegar, and yeast/oak earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice complexity and balance of fruity/funky yeast, oak barrel, and hop flavors; with a great malt/tartness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately acidic, and slightly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice Sour DIPA. All around good complexity and balance of fruity/funky yeast, oak, and hop flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV with the balanced acidity. A very enjoyable offering.

3.76/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

We pop the cage and cork on a 750mL bottle labeled “Sour Series 2013”, pouring a beer of glowing red rock-orange into our Founders snifters. It holds a one finger head of big, soapy sandpaper colored bubbles, showing decent retention. Lacing is spotty but extensive. A thick haze cuts the clarity, with no sediment noted. Carbonation appears to be light. The nose is spicy and sour, given from broad sweeping notes of Bretty yeast, lactic acidity, raw licorice, barnyard grassiness, mossy and metallic woodiness, salty baker’s yeastiness, peach pit, peppery alcohol, chemically acetone, and spicy, oily poblano chili peppers. These sit atop a base of chalky pale and lightly caramel malts, white wine grape sweetness, floral and nectary hoppiness, plum juiciness, vanilla creaminess, and a vegetal mineral quality. Our first impression is that there is significant sourness and pucker working curiously well with the woody IPA core. As we sip, the taste opens with borderline offensive Bretty and black pepper puck, biting lactics, grapey and strawberry fruitiness, wet okay woodiness, floral and bitterly herbal hops, and mineral bite. The middle comes to a peak with apple juice sweetness, cider vinegar airs, toasty pales, dried wet wheatiness, slick moss, oily green grassiness, wet clay, and old oak barrels filled with moldy hay. Washing through the finish is a revival of that strawberry and red cherry juiciness, with white grape skins, mud, musk, moss, mineral, huge oaky vanilla, milky creaminess, floral hops, sweet plastic phenols, and continued lactic gueuze sourness. The aftertaste breathes of dirty earthy hops, muddy mineral, white wine spritzer, strawberry coolness, massive oak barreling, chalky yeast, bitter lacto bite, soured Brett, lemon zest, vanilla creaminess, vinyl plastics, sweeter floral hop stem, and hookah tobacco stickiness. The body is lighter, and carbonation light. Each sip gives nice slurp and smack, but thin cream or froth. Finishing pop is crisp, bringing the mouth to a pucker, and following the initial cooling wetness, into a bone dry, woody astringency streaking across the tongue and hard palate alike. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks well.

Overall, the best thing about this brew was its general funkiness. This is an interesting stylistic clash, with a heart IPA base meeting the full sourness of a barreled gueuze. Each camp has strong support on either side, and, where they meet in the middle, you get a bitter, funky, barn-yardy, souring, puckering, and hoppy blend. The nose shows much more of the IPA, while through the flavoring you get more overpowering strength from the yeast and woodiness. We lost points through the feel which, at times, became too thin and watery, but it did redeem itself a bit with the oaky, resiny bone dryness to the palate. Ultimately this was an interesting mix that didn’t quite click all the way, but did keep you interested the entire time.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a tulip. This is at least six months old, but it could be much older. Got this from a buddy who had it for an unspecified amount of time.

4.25 A: Opaque orangish brown color. Lots of carbonation, so four fingers of frothy beige head. Retention is pretty good and tons of lacing is left.

4.25 S: This smells absolutely amazing. Supremely fruity with a refreshing hoppy backbone. Orange and peach lead the fruitiness. Herbal and floral hoppiness and lots of it. This truly is a wild IPA. I'm actually quite surprised how much hop aroma has stuck around. Loads of outdoorsy brett funkiness.

4.0 T: Taste is also very good. Hops pair well with the brett. Funky outdoors with floral and herbalness. Slight tangy twang. Peach is the major fruit flavor with wildflowers and dry rotten logs.

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Nice spritzy carbonation with some creaminess to boot. Good here. Goes down really easily.

4.0 D: This is the type of beer that you can drink for a whole night. Good flavor, no problems, and super smooth.

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%

First review here, so forgive me if my terminology isn't correct...I'll do my best.

This will be my second time trying a Sour beer - can't recall the first one I had, so take that into account. There's no information as to when it was brewed, but I'm drinking/reviewing this on 1/6/13. Bottle lists the beer as "Demetrius - Sour Series - Barrel Aged India Pale Ale."

My advice for getting the cork off: take the cage off, break the head off the cork (I used a wrench and twisted), and use a wine bottle opener. Otherwise, you're in for a good forearm workout if you try to remove by hand.

Appearance: I poured it gently into your standard pint glass, resulting in little to no head. Halfway through I gave it a little more aggressive pour, resulting in a quarter inch head. The head dissipates to a mere layer of bubbles on the surface of the beer within a couple minutes. This beer has a dark copper, almost reddish, color and is highly translucent. Overall, what I expect from an IPA, especially the translucence.

Smell: My first thought? Vinegar. I noticed another review mention brett (Brettanomyces bruxellensis), and I can definitely agree with that - I've had the Sierra Nevada & Russian River "Brux" and there's definitely similar odors here as I experienced with that one. However, I'm pretty sure this is what I've noticed with my previous sour experience, so I'm going to assume that's what I'm supposed to be smelling.

Taste: At first? Extremely sour. Halfway through the bottle, it's almost as if I've taken a bite out of a tart apple. I don't know if I'm just too new to sour beers, but I can't pick up on flavors other than the sourness of the beer...but at this point I'm alright with that. It's definitely not overwhelming to the point where I can't drink the beer, as I find myself going back for more as I write.

Mouthfeel: next to appearance, probably the best feature of the beer. Definitely "heavier," but still smooth, as I expect from a good IPA. Not extremely carbonated - the carbonation is noticeable but not overpowering - again, exactly what I expect from an IPA. As previously mentioned, this beer leaves a tart taste in the mouth which I find myself growing quite fond of.

Overall: As only my second foray into sour beers, I'm quite pleased with the beer and experience. No one aspect of the beer stands out beyond the rest, so I find it to be quite balanced (with the one exception being the lingering sourness). For what it's worth, I was able to drink the entire 750 ml bottle in one sitting and was only turned off to the beer with my first couple sips.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Its an IPA. Not coudy, but light amber with some head.

S - Hop and brett. It smells of an IPA, American style bitter nose, but a slight sour pressence.

T - Hops and brett. On the back of the tongue it is significantly more sour. Slams you with sour. This might be the most funk so far of the flight. Strange it isn't on the nose, but it is in the taste for certain.

M - Most lively of the beer. Feels fresh, and fully carbed. Finishes dry, with a slight drying finish.

O - Decent brew. funkily sour.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is full of toffee with some tart cherry notes. The beer smells fairly sour. The flavor has quite a bit of funk to it, but there is also some sour cherry notes. The main malt component to the flavor is toffee. I get a lot of oak and also a little bit of pineapple and orange citrus notes, presumably from the IPA's hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. An interesting beer, but I really liked it.

4.23/5  rDev +9.6%

Sampled June 2011
This one has sat in the back of the fridge for a little while; I have definitely been a bit of wimp on this one, a sour IPA, hmm….

As has become habit for this brewery, the cork on this beer was a complete PITA to remove. A steady pour into my Lost Abbey Teku glass produces a scant, quarter-finger thick, pale tan tinged head. The beer is a pretty, red-amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, richly bright amber hue when held up to the light. Weird, the aroma smells of herbal and plastic like notes. A bit more digging reveals some citrusy hop components. The hops are definitely the dominant note in the aroma, but they are seriously influenced by something else; this is clearly not a “regular” IPA. In fact much of the other character is actually spicy oak and woody notes; now that I have distinguished the oak from the herbal hop character I am realizing that it is almost on an equal footing with the hop notes (though not quite).

Up front the beer tastes sour and citrusy, it still has a touch of sweet maltiness to it, though only just a hint. The first part of my sip is actually quite clean and interesting. As the beer rolls across the tongue it gets a touch less integrated, the sourness and hops begin to clash a little bit more, though not nearly as much as I was fearing. The finish reminds me of grapefruit like hop notes, a solid bitterness (though this is much reduced compared to a standard IPA), and a lightly lingering sourness. The sourness is more prominent up front and especially in the middle of each sip, while the hop character seems to be most noticeable towards the finish. This still has a fair amount of body to it, and it has a bit more carbonation than the scant head suggested; while this is not a heavy beer, it has some viscousness to it and doesn’t come off as watered down in any way. The barrel / oak character isn’t quite as noticeable as it was in the aroma, but it is definitely still here with fresh cut woody notes, some spiciness that leans towards woody pepper and higher alcohol like spice (sort of what is found in Bourbon). The sourness here is not so aggressive that it overwhelms / unbalances the hop / oak combination, and the fact that this doesn’t have a lot of the funky phenolics that are often found in wilder sour beers helps this to remain far more integrated than I would have expected; there is perhaps a hint of medicinal / plastic phenolic character here, but it is now at an extremely subtle level.

Wow, I was certainly expecting the worst from this beer, it has actually ended up being quite enjoyable. I am sure the fact that this has sat in my fridge for the past 9 months has likely helped this beer (especially going on what some of the other reviews are like); who knows what has happened to this bottle in that time. Looking at some others notes, it is apparent that there really isn’t much of a Brett presence left in this beer, and this is likely a really good thing. The flavor is just so well integrated and tasty; I would never have guessed that the combination of hops, sour and oak would have worked so well together. This is a beer that had to grow on me, not because it wasn’t interesting from the get-go, but because of my preconceived notions about this beer. This ends up being thoroughly enjoyable, and if you give this beer enough time to thoroughly settle (especially since the more recent reviews of this on the net suggest that the bottle was not allowed to settle properly), I would highly recommend this beer at this moment in time and at least into the near future.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Had on tap at Crunchy's.
A: Pours a cloudy amber with little head.

S: Brett funkiness and some citrus.

T: Tart citrus upfront followed by hint of apple. Tannic with some oakiness. Mild spicy hop finish.

M: Medium body with good carbonation.

O: Easy drinking but I would like a little more sourness.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle. Grabbed this while I was back in MI a while ago and have been sitting on it for quite a while. Poured into a DFH tulip glass a murky orange, amber colore with a 1/2 finger white head. The nose is very bretty with florals and some grassy notes. The nose is rather decent. The flavor is a little different. It starts with a sour like sweetness with lemon and then transitions to a bitter slightly medicinal like ending along with grapefruit. This is a very interesing beer!

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured into chalice.

Pours 1/4 finger of white head. Decent retention with some lacing. Color is a clear peach hued orange.

Aroma: Big brett funk. Floral notes with medicinal flavors. Grassy. Has a light fruity flavor. Very odd.

Taste: Big fresh grass flavor. A lot of brett and medicinal funk. A bit fruity, but more funky. Some oak. I can't really figure this one out.

Mouthfeel: Funky, a bit sour, but not bitter. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry with medicinal notes.

Overall, this was an interesting beer. I would have never guessed it to be an ipa. A lot of funk with this beer. Not bad, but not your traditional awa.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

A -- cloudy, brassy, dark amber light lacing and slight frothy head

S -- oak, biting, citrus, acidic

T -- heavy funk, medium front tart, heavy back end tart, apple, oak, minimal hops,

M -- velvety, with later tongue cringe, soft and sweet with later bite

D -- very drinkable, less initial cringe, more later, darker feel,

delicious and surprising example from a wonderful small town brew. bit pricey but worth the taste. nice offering from ArborBrew

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to TurdFurgison for sharing this oddity at the Beelzebeer release event at Flossmoor. Served in a pint glass.

A - Pours with a finger of tan foam that shows good retention and leaves behind spotty lace specks. The body is a murky brown-orange. This is apparently more carbonated than the other bottle Eric had.

S - Spicy wood, very oaky and tannic, some apple juice, vanilla, light funky brett. There's some residual IPA malt bill, as well as a touch of faded hops.

T - Taste is charred and spiced wood, apple juice, and sweet vanilla at the back end. Eric states in his review that the barrels may previously have held gueuze, but there's so much wood character and hints of bourbon that make this hard for me to believe - generally lambic barrels impart minimal oak character and are re-used dozens of time.

M - Low carbonation, medium body, no heat, with some dryness in the finish. Texture is quite nice and satisfying.

D - I had a few pours of this one. It's a solid effort, although I'm not entirely convinced that an IPA is the right choice for a wild ale base beer (although Amigo Lager seems to work quite well). I'd be interested to see how this shapes up as the IPA flavors fade, but it's still too woody and tannic to be an unqualified success for me.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

750mL bottle from Corner Brewpub in Ypsilanti, corked and caged (and very hard to remove the cork). The bottle label describes it as a barrel aged India Pale Ale, and from what I understood the barrels contained lambic (?) previously. The beer pours a translucent light brown, darker than unsual for an IPA base, with a thin foam that's comprised of relatively large bubbles. The aroma is more wild than IPA, but after a few sniffs you can tell it was originally hoppy. A little floral hops, but mainly I smell oak aromas and mild bret. It tastes a little tart and maybe apple-like, and the hops don't come through with bitterness too much. In the finish I get more malt and bret funk, really nice.

I think this is only available from the source (not distributed), but definitely worth getting.

Arbor Brewing Demetrius from Arbor Brewing Company