Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Arbor Brewing Demetrius - Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing DemetriusArbor Brewing Demetrius

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 09-16-2010

Arbor Brewing Company is proud to offer this exclusive, limited-edition, hand-packaged and bottle-conditioned ale in the Belgian Aged Pale tradition. Our interpretation of this rare Belgian style was created by aging our Larry Hoppe Double IPA for six months in gueuze-innoculated oak casks and then bottle conditioning for a minimum of two months.
Reviews by jale:
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Had on tap at Crunchy's.
A: Pours a cloudy amber with little head.

S: Brett funkiness and some citrus.

T: Tart citrus upfront followed by hint of apple. Tannic with some oakiness. Mild spicy hop finish.

M: Medium body with good carbonation.

O: Easy drinking but I would like a little more sourness.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is full of toffee with some tart cherry notes. The beer smells fairly sour. The flavor has quite a bit of funk to it, but there is also some sour cherry notes. The main malt component to the flavor is toffee. I get a lot of oak and also a little bit of pineapple and orange citrus notes, presumably from the IPA's hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. An interesting beer, but I really liked it.

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%

First review here, so forgive me if my terminology isn't correct...I'll do my best.

This will be my second time trying a Sour beer - can't recall the first one I had, so take that into account. There's no information as to when it was brewed, but I'm drinking/reviewing this on 1/6/13. Bottle lists the beer as "Demetrius - Sour Series - Barrel Aged India Pale Ale."

My advice for getting the cork off: take the cage off, break the head off the cork (I used a wrench and twisted), and use a wine bottle opener. Otherwise, you're in for a good forearm workout if you try to remove by hand.

Appearance: I poured it gently into your standard pint glass, resulting in little to no head. Halfway through I gave it a little more aggressive pour, resulting in a quarter inch head. The head dissipates to a mere layer of bubbles on the surface of the beer within a couple minutes. This beer has a dark copper, almost reddish, color and is highly translucent. Overall, what I expect from an IPA, especially the translucence.

Smell: My first thought? Vinegar. I noticed another review mention brett (Brettanomyces bruxellensis), and I can definitely agree with that - I've had the Sierra Nevada & Russian River "Brux" and there's definitely similar odors here as I experienced with that one. However, I'm pretty sure this is what I've noticed with my previous sour experience, so I'm going to assume that's what I'm supposed to be smelling.

Taste: At first? Extremely sour. Halfway through the bottle, it's almost as if I've taken a bite out of a tart apple. I don't know if I'm just too new to sour beers, but I can't pick up on flavors other than the sourness of the beer...but at this point I'm alright with that. It's definitely not overwhelming to the point where I can't drink the beer, as I find myself going back for more as I write.

Mouthfeel: next to appearance, probably the best feature of the beer. Definitely "heavier," but still smooth, as I expect from a good IPA. Not extremely carbonated - the carbonation is noticeable but not overpowering - again, exactly what I expect from an IPA. As previously mentioned, this beer leaves a tart taste in the mouth which I find myself growing quite fond of.

Overall: As only my second foray into sour beers, I'm quite pleased with the beer and experience. No one aspect of the beer stands out beyond the rest, so I find it to be quite balanced (with the one exception being the lingering sourness). For what it's worth, I was able to drink the entire 750 ml bottle in one sitting and was only turned off to the beer with my first couple sips.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

A -- cloudy, brassy, dark amber light lacing and slight frothy head

S -- oak, biting, citrus, acidic

T -- heavy funk, medium front tart, heavy back end tart, apple, oak, minimal hops,

M -- velvety, with later tongue cringe, soft and sweet with later bite

D -- very drinkable, less initial cringe, more later, darker feel,

delicious and surprising example from a wonderful small town brew. bit pricey but worth the taste. nice offering from ArborBrew

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

4.36/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Arbor Brewing's Demetrius a couple weeks ago for $15.49 at The Lager Mill. It's been awhile since I've had a sour IPA and I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a Teku.

A- The label is nice, it's got a good design to it and it's just a little eye catching. It poured a nice amber red color that took on more of a ruby red hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy and creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the funky yeast being the first to show up and it imparts some brett and funky barnyard aromas that goes right into some nice oak aroma. Up next comes a fruity aroma with some berry and cherry aromas coming through and it goes into the hops which impart a earthy, grassy, herbal and spicy hop aroma with just a light amount of citrus hop aromas coming through. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, but I wish it was a little more balanced, I wish the hops showed up more.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the funky yeast still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma. Up next comes the IPA base which is noticeable with some malt and hops flavors and it's followed the oak which imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma. On the finish there's a lighter amount of medium tartness with a little more sweetness and it has a funky aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, it's got a little IPA, oak and sour going on, I like it.

M- Fairly smooth. very crisp, a little prickly, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I think the carbonation could be toned down a little.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, when it came to the taste all the different aspects showed up nicely and pretty evenly with no single aspect seeming out of place and they worked well with each other. This beer has nice drinkability, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, the carbonation might start to get to me after that. What I like the most about this beer was the balance when it came to the taste, it was very nice. What I like the least about this beer is the mouthfeel, it's a little overly carbonated. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for the style and I would recommend it to anyone interested in a sour IPA. All in all I liked this beer, it did have a couple aspects that were just a little rough around the edges, but when it came down to it it turned out to be a tasty beer and I enjoyed it. It's not my favorite beer from Arbor, but it's up there as one of the better ones and it's one of the better of the style, but I still prefer Le Terrior. Nice job guys, I enjoyed this sour IPA.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a tulip. This is at least six months old, but it could be much older. Got this from a buddy who had it for an unspecified amount of time.

4.25 A: Opaque orangish brown color. Lots of carbonation, so four fingers of frothy beige head. Retention is pretty good and tons of lacing is left.

4.25 S: This smells absolutely amazing. Supremely fruity with a refreshing hoppy backbone. Orange and peach lead the fruitiness. Herbal and floral hoppiness and lots of it. This truly is a wild IPA. I'm actually quite surprised how much hop aroma has stuck around. Loads of outdoorsy brett funkiness.

4.0 T: Taste is also very good. Hops pair well with the brett. Funky outdoors with floral and herbalness. Slight tangy twang. Peach is the major fruit flavor with wildflowers and dry rotten logs.

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Nice spritzy carbonation with some creaminess to boot. Good here. Goes down really easily.

4.0 D: This is the type of beer that you can drink for a whole night. Good flavor, no problems, and super smooth.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

2.66/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

A: dark amber with no head at all
S: Subtly dank
T: What should you expect a sour IPA to taste like? Every idea I came up with is far from this reality. This tastes like a sour amber and the hops are downplayed.
M: Flat, no carbonation.

Overall: By reading other reviews I've come to the conclusion that other years had more carbonation. I think that's what I'm missing from this beer but the flavor profile is pleasant.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.76/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

We pop the cage and cork on a 750mL bottle labeled “Sour Series 2013”, pouring a beer of glowing red rock-orange into our Founders snifters. It holds a one finger head of big, soapy sandpaper colored bubbles, showing decent retention. Lacing is spotty but extensive. A thick haze cuts the clarity, with no sediment noted. Carbonation appears to be light. The nose is spicy and sour, given from broad sweeping notes of Bretty yeast, lactic acidity, raw licorice, barnyard grassiness, mossy and metallic woodiness, salty baker’s yeastiness, peach pit, peppery alcohol, chemically acetone, and spicy, oily poblano chili peppers. These sit atop a base of chalky pale and lightly caramel malts, white wine grape sweetness, floral and nectary hoppiness, plum juiciness, vanilla creaminess, and a vegetal mineral quality. Our first impression is that there is significant sourness and pucker working curiously well with the woody IPA core. As we sip, the taste opens with borderline offensive Bretty and black pepper puck, biting lactics, grapey and strawberry fruitiness, wet okay woodiness, floral and bitterly herbal hops, and mineral bite. The middle comes to a peak with apple juice sweetness, cider vinegar airs, toasty pales, dried wet wheatiness, slick moss, oily green grassiness, wet clay, and old oak barrels filled with moldy hay. Washing through the finish is a revival of that strawberry and red cherry juiciness, with white grape skins, mud, musk, moss, mineral, huge oaky vanilla, milky creaminess, floral hops, sweet plastic phenols, and continued lactic gueuze sourness. The aftertaste breathes of dirty earthy hops, muddy mineral, white wine spritzer, strawberry coolness, massive oak barreling, chalky yeast, bitter lacto bite, soured Brett, lemon zest, vanilla creaminess, vinyl plastics, sweeter floral hop stem, and hookah tobacco stickiness. The body is lighter, and carbonation light. Each sip gives nice slurp and smack, but thin cream or froth. Finishing pop is crisp, bringing the mouth to a pucker, and following the initial cooling wetness, into a bone dry, woody astringency streaking across the tongue and hard palate alike. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks well.

Overall, the best thing about this brew was its general funkiness. This is an interesting stylistic clash, with a heart IPA base meeting the full sourness of a barreled gueuze. Each camp has strong support on either side, and, where they meet in the middle, you get a bitter, funky, barn-yardy, souring, puckering, and hoppy blend. The nose shows much more of the IPA, while through the flavoring you get more overpowering strength from the yeast and woodiness. We lost points through the feel which, at times, became too thin and watery, but it did redeem itself a bit with the oaky, resiny bone dryness to the palate. Ultimately this was an interesting mix that didn’t quite click all the way, but did keep you interested the entire time.

Arbor Brewing Demetrius from Arbor Brewing Company