Arbor Brewing Demetrius - Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing DemetriusArbor Brewing Demetrius

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Arbor Brewing Company is proud to offer this exclusive, limited-edition, hand-packaged and bottle-conditioned ale in the Belgian Aged Pale tradition. Our interpretation of this rare Belgian style was created by aging our Larry Hoppe Double IPA for six months in gueuze-innoculated oak casks and then bottle conditioning for a minimum of two months.

(Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 09-16-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into chalice.

Pours 1/4 finger of white head. Decent retention with some lacing. Color is a clear peach hued orange.

Aroma: Big brett funk. Floral notes with medicinal flavors. Grassy. Has a light fruity flavor. Very odd.

Taste: Big fresh grass flavor. A lot of brett and medicinal funk. A bit fruity, but more funky. Some oak. I can't really figure this one out.

Mouthfeel: Funky, a bit sour, but not bitter. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry with medicinal notes.

Overall, this was an interesting beer. I would have never guessed it to be an ipa. A lot of funk with this beer. Not bad, but not your traditional awa.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

3.25/5  rDev -16%

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

First review here, so forgive me if my terminology isn't correct...I'll do my best.

This will be my second time trying a Sour beer - can't recall the first one I had, so take that into account. There's no information as to when it was brewed, but I'm drinking/reviewing this on 1/6/13. Bottle lists the beer as "Demetrius - Sour Series - Barrel Aged India Pale Ale."

My advice for getting the cork off: take the cage off, break the head off the cork (I used a wrench and twisted), and use a wine bottle opener. Otherwise, you're in for a good forearm workout if you try to remove by hand.

Appearance: I poured it gently into your standard pint glass, resulting in little to no head. Halfway through I gave it a little more aggressive pour, resulting in a quarter inch head. The head dissipates to a mere layer of bubbles on the surface of the beer within a couple minutes. This beer has a dark copper, almost reddish, color and is highly translucent. Overall, what I expect from an IPA, especially the translucence.

Smell: My first thought? Vinegar. I noticed another review mention brett (Brettanomyces bruxellensis), and I can definitely agree with that - I've had the Sierra Nevada & Russian River "Brux" and there's definitely similar odors here as I experienced with that one. However, I'm pretty sure this is what I've noticed with my previous sour experience, so I'm going to assume that's what I'm supposed to be smelling.

Taste: At first? Extremely sour. Halfway through the bottle, it's almost as if I've taken a bite out of a tart apple. I don't know if I'm just too new to sour beers, but I can't pick up on flavors other than the sourness of the beer...but at this point I'm alright with that. It's definitely not overwhelming to the point where I can't drink the beer, as I find myself going back for more as I write.

Mouthfeel: next to appearance, probably the best feature of the beer. Definitely "heavier," but still smooth, as I expect from a good IPA. Not extremely carbonated - the carbonation is noticeable but not overpowering - again, exactly what I expect from an IPA. As previously mentioned, this beer leaves a tart taste in the mouth which I find myself growing quite fond of.

Overall: As only my second foray into sour beers, I'm quite pleased with the beer and experience. No one aspect of the beer stands out beyond the rest, so I find it to be quite balanced (with the one exception being the lingering sourness). For what it's worth, I was able to drink the entire 750 ml bottle in one sitting and was only turned off to the beer with my first couple sips.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to TurdFurgison for sharing this oddity at the Beelzebeer release event at Flossmoor. Served in a pint glass.

A - Pours with a finger of tan foam that shows good retention and leaves behind spotty lace specks. The body is a murky brown-orange. This is apparently more carbonated than the other bottle Eric had.

S - Spicy wood, very oaky and tannic, some apple juice, vanilla, light funky brett. There's some residual IPA malt bill, as well as a touch of faded hops.

T - Taste is charred and spiced wood, apple juice, and sweet vanilla at the back end. Eric states in his review that the barrels may previously have held gueuze, but there's so much wood character and hints of bourbon that make this hard for me to believe - generally lambic barrels impart minimal oak character and are re-used dozens of time.

M - Low carbonation, medium body, no heat, with some dryness in the finish. Texture is quite nice and satisfying.

D - I had a few pours of this one. It's a solid effort, although I'm not entirely convinced that an IPA is the right choice for a wild ale base beer (although Amigo Lager seems to work quite well). I'd be interested to see how this shapes up as the IPA flavors fade, but it's still too woody and tannic to be an unqualified success for me.

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle. Grabbed this while I was back in MI a while ago and have been sitting on it for quite a while. Poured into a DFH tulip glass a murky orange, amber colore with a 1/2 finger white head. The nose is very bretty with florals and some grassy notes. The nose is rather decent. The flavor is a little different. It starts with a sour like sweetness with lemon and then transitions to a bitter slightly medicinal like ending along with grapefruit. This is a very interesing beer!

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Its an IPA. Not coudy, but light amber with some head.

S - Hop and brett. It smells of an IPA, American style bitter nose, but a slight sour pressence.

T - Hops and brett. On the back of the tongue it is significantly more sour. Slams you with sour. This might be the most funk so far of the flight. Strange it isn't on the nose, but it is in the taste for certain.

M - Most lively of the beer. Feels fresh, and fully carbed. Finishes dry, with a slight drying finish.

O - Decent brew. funkily sour.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

We pop the cage and cork on a 750mL bottle labeled “Sour Series 2013”, pouring a beer of glowing red rock-orange into our Founders snifters. It holds a one finger head of big, soapy sandpaper colored bubbles, showing decent retention. Lacing is spotty but extensive. A thick haze cuts the clarity, with no sediment noted. Carbonation appears to be light. The nose is spicy and sour, given from broad sweeping notes of Bretty yeast, lactic acidity, raw licorice, barnyard grassiness, mossy and metallic woodiness, salty baker’s yeastiness, peach pit, peppery alcohol, chemically acetone, and spicy, oily poblano chili peppers. These sit atop a base of chalky pale and lightly caramel malts, white wine grape sweetness, floral and nectary hoppiness, plum juiciness, vanilla creaminess, and a vegetal mineral quality. Our first impression is that there is significant sourness and pucker working curiously well with the woody IPA core. As we sip, the taste opens with borderline offensive Bretty and black pepper puck, biting lactics, grapey and strawberry fruitiness, wet okay woodiness, floral and bitterly herbal hops, and mineral bite. The middle comes to a peak with apple juice sweetness, cider vinegar airs, toasty pales, dried wet wheatiness, slick moss, oily green grassiness, wet clay, and old oak barrels filled with moldy hay. Washing through the finish is a revival of that strawberry and red cherry juiciness, with white grape skins, mud, musk, moss, mineral, huge oaky vanilla, milky creaminess, floral hops, sweet plastic phenols, and continued lactic gueuze sourness. The aftertaste breathes of dirty earthy hops, muddy mineral, white wine spritzer, strawberry coolness, massive oak barreling, chalky yeast, bitter lacto bite, soured Brett, lemon zest, vanilla creaminess, vinyl plastics, sweeter floral hop stem, and hookah tobacco stickiness. The body is lighter, and carbonation light. Each sip gives nice slurp and smack, but thin cream or froth. Finishing pop is crisp, bringing the mouth to a pucker, and following the initial cooling wetness, into a bone dry, woody astringency streaking across the tongue and hard palate alike. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks well.

Overall, the best thing about this brew was its general funkiness. This is an interesting stylistic clash, with a heart IPA base meeting the full sourness of a barreled gueuze. Each camp has strong support on either side, and, where they meet in the middle, you get a bitter, funky, barn-yardy, souring, puckering, and hoppy blend. The nose shows much more of the IPA, while through the flavoring you get more overpowering strength from the yeast and woodiness. We lost points through the feel which, at times, became too thin and watery, but it did redeem itself a bit with the oaky, resiny bone dryness to the palate. Ultimately this was an interesting mix that didn’t quite click all the way, but did keep you interested the entire time.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Had on tap at Crunchy's.
A: Pours a cloudy amber with little head.

S: Brett funkiness and some citrus.

T: Tart citrus upfront followed by hint of apple. Tannic with some oakiness. Mild spicy hop finish.

M: Medium body with good carbonation.

O: Easy drinking but I would like a little more sourness.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

750mL bottle from Corner Brewpub in Ypsilanti, corked and caged (and very hard to remove the cork). The bottle label describes it as a barrel aged India Pale Ale, and from what I understood the barrels contained lambic (?) previously. The beer pours a translucent light brown, darker than unsual for an IPA base, with a thin foam that's comprised of relatively large bubbles. The aroma is more wild than IPA, but after a few sniffs you can tell it was originally hoppy. A little floral hops, but mainly I smell oak aromas and mild bret. It tastes a little tart and maybe apple-like, and the hops don't come through with bitterness too much. In the finish I get more malt and bret funk, really nice.

I think this is only available from the source (not distributed), but definitely worth getting.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »