Arbor Brewing Demetrius - Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing DemetriusArbor Brewing Demetrius

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Arbor Brewing Company is proud to offer this exclusive, limited-edition, hand-packaged and bottle-conditioned ale in the Belgian Aged Pale tradition. Our interpretation of this rare Belgian style was created by aging our Larry Hoppe Double IPA for six months in gueuze-innoculated oak casks and then bottle conditioning for a minimum of two months.

(Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 09-16-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

First review here, so forgive me if my terminology isn't correct...I'll do my best.

This will be my second time trying a Sour beer - can't recall the first one I had, so take that into account. There's no information as to when it was brewed, but I'm drinking/reviewing this on 1/6/13. Bottle lists the beer as "Demetrius - Sour Series - Barrel Aged India Pale Ale."

My advice for getting the cork off: take the cage off, break the head off the cork (I used a wrench and twisted), and use a wine bottle opener. Otherwise, you're in for a good forearm workout if you try to remove by hand.

Appearance: I poured it gently into your standard pint glass, resulting in little to no head. Halfway through I gave it a little more aggressive pour, resulting in a quarter inch head. The head dissipates to a mere layer of bubbles on the surface of the beer within a couple minutes. This beer has a dark copper, almost reddish, color and is highly translucent. Overall, what I expect from an IPA, especially the translucence.

Smell: My first thought? Vinegar. I noticed another review mention brett (Brettanomyces bruxellensis), and I can definitely agree with that - I've had the Sierra Nevada & Russian River "Brux" and there's definitely similar odors here as I experienced with that one. However, I'm pretty sure this is what I've noticed with my previous sour experience, so I'm going to assume that's what I'm supposed to be smelling.

Taste: At first? Extremely sour. Halfway through the bottle, it's almost as if I've taken a bite out of a tart apple. I don't know if I'm just too new to sour beers, but I can't pick up on flavors other than the sourness of the beer...but at this point I'm alright with that. It's definitely not overwhelming to the point where I can't drink the beer, as I find myself going back for more as I write.

Mouthfeel: next to appearance, probably the best feature of the beer. Definitely "heavier," but still smooth, as I expect from a good IPA. Not extremely carbonated - the carbonation is noticeable but not overpowering - again, exactly what I expect from an IPA. As previously mentioned, this beer leaves a tart taste in the mouth which I find myself growing quite fond of.

Overall: As only my second foray into sour beers, I'm quite pleased with the beer and experience. No one aspect of the beer stands out beyond the rest, so I find it to be quite balanced (with the one exception being the lingering sourness). For what it's worth, I was able to drink the entire 750 ml bottle in one sitting and was only turned off to the beer with my first couple sips.

phildow, Jan 06, 2013

mtrog313, Mar 06, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

seeswo, Jan 30, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Its an IPA. Not coudy, but light amber with some head.

S - Hop and brett. It smells of an IPA, American style bitter nose, but a slight sour pressence.

T - Hops and brett. On the back of the tongue it is significantly more sour. Slams you with sour. This might be the most funk so far of the flight. Strange it isn't on the nose, but it is in the taste for certain.

M - Most lively of the beer. Feels fresh, and fully carbed. Finishes dry, with a slight drying finish.

O - Decent brew. funkily sour.

decadance, Jan 15, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is full of toffee with some tart cherry notes. The beer smells fairly sour. The flavor has quite a bit of funk to it, but there is also some sour cherry notes. The main malt component to the flavor is toffee. I get a lot of oak and also a little bit of pineapple and orange citrus notes, presumably from the IPA's hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. An interesting beer, but I really liked it.

Mora2000, Sep 25, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Sampled June 2011
This one has sat in the back of the fridge for a little while; I have definitely been a bit of wimp on this one, a sour IPA, hmm….

As has become habit for this brewery, the cork on this beer was a complete PITA to remove. A steady pour into my Lost Abbey Teku glass produces a scant, quarter-finger thick, pale tan tinged head. The beer is a pretty, red-amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, richly bright amber hue when held up to the light. Weird, the aroma smells of herbal and plastic like notes. A bit more digging reveals some citrusy hop components. The hops are definitely the dominant note in the aroma, but they are seriously influenced by something else; this is clearly not a “regular” IPA. In fact much of the other character is actually spicy oak and woody notes; now that I have distinguished the oak from the herbal hop character I am realizing that it is almost on an equal footing with the hop notes (though not quite).

Up front the beer tastes sour and citrusy, it still has a touch of sweet maltiness to it, though only just a hint. The first part of my sip is actually quite clean and interesting. As the beer rolls across the tongue it gets a touch less integrated, the sourness and hops begin to clash a little bit more, though not nearly as much as I was fearing. The finish reminds me of grapefruit like hop notes, a solid bitterness (though this is much reduced compared to a standard IPA), and a lightly lingering sourness. The sourness is more prominent up front and especially in the middle of each sip, while the hop character seems to be most noticeable towards the finish. This still has a fair amount of body to it, and it has a bit more carbonation than the scant head suggested; while this is not a heavy beer, it has some viscousness to it and doesn’t come off as watered down in any way. The barrel / oak character isn’t quite as noticeable as it was in the aroma, but it is definitely still here with fresh cut woody notes, some spiciness that leans towards woody pepper and higher alcohol like spice (sort of what is found in Bourbon). The sourness here is not so aggressive that it overwhelms / unbalances the hop / oak combination, and the fact that this doesn’t have a lot of the funky phenolics that are often found in wilder sour beers helps this to remain far more integrated than I would have expected; there is perhaps a hint of medicinal / plastic phenolic character here, but it is now at an extremely subtle level.

Wow, I was certainly expecting the worst from this beer, it has actually ended up being quite enjoyable. I am sure the fact that this has sat in my fridge for the past 9 months has likely helped this beer (especially going on what some of the other reviews are like); who knows what has happened to this bottle in that time. Looking at some others notes, it is apparent that there really isn’t much of a Brett presence left in this beer, and this is likely a really good thing. The flavor is just so well integrated and tasty; I would never have guessed that the combination of hops, sour and oak would have worked so well together. This is a beer that had to grow on me, not because it wasn’t interesting from the get-go, but because of my preconceived notions about this beer. This ends up being thoroughly enjoyable, and if you give this beer enough time to thoroughly settle (especially since the more recent reviews of this on the net suggest that the bottle was not allowed to settle properly), I would highly recommend this beer at this moment in time and at least into the near future.

Gueuzedude, Aug 08, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Had on tap at Crunchy's.
A: Pours a cloudy amber with little head.

S: Brett funkiness and some citrus.

T: Tart citrus upfront followed by hint of apple. Tannic with some oakiness. Mild spicy hop finish.

M: Medium body with good carbonation.

O: Easy drinking but I would like a little more sourness.

jale, Apr 09, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle. Grabbed this while I was back in MI a while ago and have been sitting on it for quite a while. Poured into a DFH tulip glass a murky orange, amber colore with a 1/2 finger white head. The nose is very bretty with florals and some grassy notes. The nose is rather decent. The flavor is a little different. It starts with a sour like sweetness with lemon and then transitions to a bitter slightly medicinal like ending along with grapefruit. This is a very interesing beer!

kbutler1, Feb 26, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured into chalice.

Pours 1/4 finger of white head. Decent retention with some lacing. Color is a clear peach hued orange.

Aroma: Big brett funk. Floral notes with medicinal flavors. Grassy. Has a light fruity flavor. Very odd.

Taste: Big fresh grass flavor. A lot of brett and medicinal funk. A bit fruity, but more funky. Some oak. I can't really figure this one out.

Mouthfeel: Funky, a bit sour, but not bitter. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry with medicinal notes.

Overall, this was an interesting beer. I would have never guessed it to be an ipa. A lot of funk with this beer. Not bad, but not your traditional awa.

mothman, Feb 26, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

A -- cloudy, brassy, dark amber light lacing and slight frothy head

S -- oak, biting, citrus, acidic

T -- heavy funk, medium front tart, heavy back end tart, apple, oak, minimal hops,

M -- velvety, with later tongue cringe, soft and sweet with later bite

D -- very drinkable, less initial cringe, more later, darker feel,

delicious and surprising example from a wonderful small town brew. bit pricey but worth the taste. nice offering from ArborBrew

DavidJames, Jan 31, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to TurdFurgison for sharing this oddity at the Beelzebeer release event at Flossmoor. Served in a pint glass.

A - Pours with a finger of tan foam that shows good retention and leaves behind spotty lace specks. The body is a murky brown-orange. This is apparently more carbonated than the other bottle Eric had.

S - Spicy wood, very oaky and tannic, some apple juice, vanilla, light funky brett. There's some residual IPA malt bill, as well as a touch of faded hops.

T - Taste is charred and spiced wood, apple juice, and sweet vanilla at the back end. Eric states in his review that the barrels may previously have held gueuze, but there's so much wood character and hints of bourbon that make this hard for me to believe - generally lambic barrels impart minimal oak character and are re-used dozens of time.

M - Low carbonation, medium body, no heat, with some dryness in the finish. Texture is quite nice and satisfying.

D - I had a few pours of this one. It's a solid effort, although I'm not entirely convinced that an IPA is the right choice for a wild ale base beer (although Amigo Lager seems to work quite well). I'd be interested to see how this shapes up as the IPA flavors fade, but it's still too woody and tannic to be an unqualified success for me.

MasterSki, Sep 26, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

750mL bottle from Corner Brewpub in Ypsilanti, corked and caged (and very hard to remove the cork). The bottle label describes it as a barrel aged India Pale Ale, and from what I understood the barrels contained lambic (?) previously. The beer pours a translucent light brown, darker than unsual for an IPA base, with a thin foam that's comprised of relatively large bubbles. The aroma is more wild than IPA, but after a few sniffs you can tell it was originally hoppy. A little floral hops, but mainly I smell oak aromas and mild bret. It tastes a little tart and maybe apple-like, and the hops don't come through with bitterness too much. In the finish I get more malt and bret funk, really nice.

I think this is only available from the source (not distributed), but definitely worth getting.

TurdFurgison, Sep 16, 2010