Hoptown Brown - Arbor Brewing Company

good

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Holland on 11-07-2011)

Slay40, Sep 11, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

akttr, Sep 10, 2014

obrienc, Sep 06, 2014

lochef81, Sep 02, 2014

Kerrie, Aug 31, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

I picked up a bottle of Arbor Brewing Company's Hoptown Brown last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. It's been a little bit since I've had a new beer from Arbor and a Brown IPA sounds interesting to me, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's a little weird looking, but I like it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice dark brown color that took on some ruby edges when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left lots of patchy and spotty rings of lacing behind. This was a really nice looking beer, the head and lacing were really good.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops showing up first and they impart a fruity citrus rind and floral hops aromas with the fruity hops seeming to stick out just a little more than the floral hops. Up next comes the malts which impart some sweet malt, roasted malt, light caramel and dark bread aromas with just a little bit of chocolate coming through. The aroma was nice, but it seemed to be very similar to a Black IPA.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same hoppy aspects that it did in the aroma with the fruity hops sticking out the most by a little. Up next comes the malts which impart the same malty aspects that I got in the aroma with not one single malty aspect sticking out the most and the sweet malts seemed to be toned down just a little bit and there's just a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a hop and medium roasted malt aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer that was nicely balanced, but I don't really see what makes this any different from a Black IPA.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little rich, a little dry on the finish, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel, it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer, as a Brown Ale it's just ok, I've had a couple nice Hoppy Brown Ales and to me this one is leaning more towards being a Black IPA and it doesn't really have any aspect that makes me think of a straight up brown ale other than the mouthfeel. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth,a little crisp, a little rich, a little dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these, but I think that would be my limit. what I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and the balance, they were both very nice and the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that it wasn't too recognizable as a Brown Ale, I think more toasted, caramel and nutty aspects would help it seem more like a Brown Ale. I might buy this beer again and I for sure wouldn't turn one down. I would recommend it to people who like hoppy dark beers, it fits into that category nicely. All in all I didn't mind this beer, I think it could use just a little bit of work, but other than that I thought it was a solid beer. It isn't my favorite beer from Arbor or my favorite Hoppy Brown Ale simply because it wasn't too identifiable as a Brown Ale. Shorts still holds that title fot having my favorite hoppy Brown Ales. Nice job guys, this wasn't a bad beer, keep up the hard work.

StoutHunter, Aug 29, 2014

RoccTrap, Aug 17, 2014

Morakaton, Nov 19, 2013

Drk93TT, Oct 30, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: a nice brown color. slightly opaque but still some clarity. a small tan head that fades slowly

Smell: slightly citrusy smell at first it is kinda weird. followed by roasty malts.

Taste: roasty malts and a hoppy flavor. that is mostly citrus. i don't like the mix of the two

mouthfeel: medium body and lingering bitterness

Overall: i like the idea of a hoppy brown but the citrus just doesn't do it for me

SportsandJorts, Aug 21, 2013

drbenderdo, Aug 16, 2013

qwe2323, Jan 16, 2013

t0rin0, Sep 16, 2012

Rich540, Jul 10, 2012

cynical1027, Feb 21, 2012

A: brown with lighter brown highlights, nice sized head that left good lacing and a ring on the edge of the glass.

S: smells of bitter hops and sweet roasted malts. Some floral hop characters, but it's not fruity. Maybe pine.

T: good for a beer of its style, this has balance between the hops and malts.

M: heavier than a normal brown, it was also better carbonated and crisper. More of everything.

O: more of everything, especially hops, helped this out. Solid beer, though not quite up there with the Dogfish IBA.

Holland, Nov 07, 2011