Arbor Brewing Phat Abbot Belgian Dubbel - Arbor Brewing Company

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-20-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.24/5  rDev -36.7%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A- Minimal head drops to a very light lace as soon as it's poured. There are some decent sticky spots left on the glass. The body is a deep, dark brown that nears black.

S- The overwhelming aroma of sour apple rushes to the forefront. Some raisin scents peek through with a bit of an alcohol accent.

T- The flavor was a little boozy. More of the green apple tones come through in the taste. I feel like there is a raisin-like flavor that's trying to work its way through, but it's just enveloped in the sour taste and overwhelming alcohol.

M- It had a bit of a bite from both the alcohol and the sour flavor.

D- It's rather harsh. It's not an easy drinker and I don't know that I'd want to give it another try.

Overall- I tried to review this beer the other night and stopped because I thought I got a bad bottle. After hitting up another store, I thought I'd give it a second try. Unless the entire batch is bad, I'm not impressed by this beer. The only other explanation is they introduced some funky yeast in an attempt to mix up the style. If I come across this one in the future, I'd be more than willing to re-review, but I feel I've dropped enough coin at this point to warrent the review. (1,237 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours an almost still crimsoned brown liquid.

Wickedly oxidized. Smells chocolate, hint of nut, some coffee. Phenols are minimal. Chalk and coconut. Touch of cherry sour and clean alcohol.

Tastes chocolate with some underlying caramel sweetness. The end has a touch of phenol that starts to dry the finish. Caramelly and roast adds complexity. After the swallow the foul oxidation rises up nauseatingly. Hard to choke any of this stuff down. Md body. (452 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into Bruery snifter.

A: pours cloudy dark brown with reddish hues. Seems a bit dark and brown for the style. The head is relatively lifeless, minimal lacing.

S: sweet malts come through along with some surprising notes of dark chocolate. Some raisin in there as well. I'm missing Belgian yeast character. Seems a bit off for the style.

T: the taste is reletively bland. The chocolate character shows up again along with some plum, raisin and a touch of of Belgian character. Again, this is underwhelming for the style. Seems to be very tame. Nothing offensive tasting here, just nothing exciting.

MF: carbonation is low, body is medium

O: I would pass this one up... this is a poor representation of a "trappist style dubbel" as the label claims. It is definitely different than others with the chocolately notes, but doesn't seem to represent the style. (866 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -27.7%

A: Poured hard into my goblet and tried my best to get a head, but nothing at all. Dark cherry colored beer. Looks quite dark for a double.

S: acidic on the nose. a little burnt, nutty malt. definitely below average for the style.

T: Very sweet upfront, Malt and hops come through to help control, but ultimately finish is sweet and sticky. Not impressed here either

M: Sticky and a little thick/flat

D: Im not a big fan of this, but it does hide the 8% well (if it is, in fact, 8%). Some off flavours with the uncontrolled sweetness but you could do worse I suppose.

I was really interested in trying this one because im a belgian fan, and the name is really cool :) This is a decent beer, but there's so many better choices in this category (747 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle. Dark brown pour with some ruby highlights. Thin white head disappears immediately. Disappointing.

Fruity up front, with notes of tropical fruits, dark ones, and some berries. A bit of chocolate and phenol notes.

Fruity at first, with some berries and a hint of raisin. Lots of phenols smack the palate then give way to an odd sour berry, cherry flavor that seems way out of place. Not much sweetness, or chocolate as the nose would indicate.

Some warming alcohol. Medium body, with a fair amount of carbonation. Sourness and phenols take over too much to make this enjoyable. (595 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -13.3%

No Date on the bottle of this one. Does not really matter for the style but still would be nice.

A - It poured out a really dark brown with little head that died off fast. Head completely disappears after a minute or so. When held up to the light you can see it through the edges of this one. Not very appealing.

S - This one has dark fruit, figs, raisins, also some bready notes brown sugar. Smells like a typical dubbel without anything out of the ordinary.

T - This one is relatively sweet with the typical dark fruit and dark cherries. I do not detect the alcohol on this except on the back end of my pallet and in my belly. The flavors hit quit fast then leave relatively quick from the carbonation. Not as satisfying as most Dubbel's I have had.

M - The mouth feel is light bodied and has a nice bite of carbonation which fits the style. I wish it was not so watery. Relatively disappointing here.

O - This is a nice easy drinking Dubbel comming in at 8%. Goes down easy and would probably be nice one to get a feel for the style. However there is nothing here that stands out, and I wish Abor Brewing would date their bottles. Try it if you have not had to many Dubbel's, and want to see what they are like. (1,224 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Arbor Brewing Company's Phat Abbot Belgian Dubbel a couple weeks ago for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I've never tried this beer before, but I have had the Phat Abbot Tripel and I thought it was a really nice Tripel and I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a my Belgian Goblet.

A- The label looks ok and it's pretty similar to the Tripel. It poured a very dark brown color that took on a slight ruby hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I don't think I have ever seen a Dubbel that was this dark.

S- The aroma starts off with a pretty high amount of sweetness that has a candied sugar like aroma followed by some yeast aromas up front that impart some banana, bubblegum, and spicy aromas with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes some dark fruits with a nice cherry and raisin like aroma seeming to stick out the most and it's followed by some malts that impart a very sweet malt like aroma, this some toasted and caramel aromas coming through. Up next comes a noticeable sweet and ethanol like alcohol aroma with a sherry like aroma showing up also. The aroma was fairly complex, but it seemed pretty rough around the edges some with some sweetness and alcohol coming through a little too much. The aroma seems to be going the right direction for the style but the sweet and boozy aromas were a little overwhelming.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma, but it's a good deal lighter and not as in your face as the aroma and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it had a Belgian candied sugar like flavor to it followed by a lighter amount of yeast that imparts a light banana and spicy flavor. Up next comes a nice dark fruit flavor with no single fruit seeming to show up the most and it's followed by some malts which impart a sweet, toasted, and caramel like flavors. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a sweet and slight alcohol flavor that was just slightly warming with a sweet and dark fruit like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting Dubbel and it was better than the aroma but some of the flavors didn't blend together as well as they could have.

M- A little smooth, sweet, slightly boozy, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but I think it could have been a little smoother.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was a fairly average example of the style, I started to loose hope for it when I got to the aroma, but once I got to the taste it wasn't as rough and it was more true to style, but i don't think all the flavors came together as well as they could have and it seemed like some of the aspects clashed a little. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, a little sticky and not that filling, but the taste couldn't hold my attention for long and I think one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and taste, they weren't bad and they were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty rough around the edges and some of the bold aromas clashed with each other. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's not overly priced, but I think i would rather pay more for a more true to style and smoother Dubbel. I wouldn't recommend this to my friends as a good Dubbel. All in all i wasn't impressed with this beer, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either, it was just kind of in the middle and I thought it had too many aspects that didn't blend together well which made this beer rough around the edges. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some work. (4,059 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I haven't been too impressed with the last couple arbor brewing beers I've had, hopefully this one is better than the last few.

12 oz. bottle poured into my Chimay goblet.

A- Phat Abbott pours a dark brown, with some lighter highlights and very little head that disappears in a hurry.
S- They definitely succeeded in making this smell like a Belgian beer. Some yeastiness, lots of dark fruit and maltiness, and a little bit of alcohol perhaps.
T- Lots of ripe dark fruits and sweet malts. There is some spiciness that is becoming more prevalent as the beer warms. Not bad, but not that good either, there just inst that much depth here.
M- Medium bodied with low carbonation and a slightly warming alcohol presence.
D- I'm glad I bought two singles of this and not a full 6 pack. I won't be drinking the second one waiting in the fridge tonight.

Arbor Brewing has kind of let me down yet again. This is definitely not a bad beer, but as far as other Belgian beers I've had, this one just doesn't measure up. For example, there is really little comparison between this and the Ommegang Abbey Ale I enjoyed a couple of nights ago. (1,135 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -9.6%

First, I have to say that the tripel variation on this beer is vastly superior -- not even in the same league (or in the immortal words of Jules from Pulp Fiction, "not even in the same fucking sport.")

Very little head, very little carbonation. Pours a deep, deep ruby red color that gives it a dark brown color. A very sweet herbal tea aroma -- imagine Mango/Apple tea -- with a very sweet, candy-like taste. Just the slighest hint of chewing on dandelions at the finish -- a light plant-like bitterness.

Not ABC's best beer, but it's certainly not bad. (561 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Dark brown with a redish hue. Darker than what I expected. Similar appearance to a stout. Very little head.

S: Smells of dark fruits, prunes, & raisens. Dark sugars, brown and mollasses. Fruit bread.

T: Tast is much more mild than what I expected, especially in comparison to the appearance. Slight citrus and roasted malts. Chocolate dominates with a sour finish.

M: Medium body. Creamy. Little carbonation.

O: Not impressive as a Belgian (446 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -4%

Thin creamy white head over a black body. Poor head retention and lace. Light fragrance of malt and fruit, but overall very clean. Tastes of sweet malt, Belgian candi sugar, sweet fruit and some earthy undertones. Mild hop bitterness. Warming alcohol presence. Medium to thick body. Smooth mouthfeel with slightly bitter finish, but overall clean aftertaste. Light carbonation

A little too sweet and syrupy for the style, but a decent showcase of the beauty of Belgian malts. (478 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle a dark dirty bronze with a thin ring of tan head. No lacing left behind.

Aroma of dark ripe fruit, Belgian yeast and candy sugar.

Soft taste of tart raspberries, dark caramel malts, sugar and yeast.

Thinner bodied and wet with a light carbonation.

A bit of a disappointment and not one of my favorites from Arbor Brewing. (348 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -0.6%

On tap at the Pizza Plant on Main,I didnt get to Arbor when I was AA last weekend but its nice to see I can still get a few of their wares here in the B-lo area.Poured into a standard pint glass a deep slightly hazed dark brown with almost no head to speak of sure it wasnt the proper glass ware but I would have liked to have seen more on top no doubt.Belgian yeasty aromas a touch of clovey-like spice and raisin to go along with small dose of candied sugar.Flavors are alot like the nose somewhat yeasty to start with that spice and dark fruit almost like a Xmas fruit cake,big and malty.Not bad granted its not my favorite style but it has flaws.I would say a bit above average. (682 characters)

3.54/5  rDev 0%

Opening the cap reveals a mellow psssht, indicating low carbonation. As I pour it, it's barely able to achieve a head, let alone sustain one. The head is very flimsy and lasts a few seconds, receding into a thin scum of bubbles around the edges. No lacing. Very dark brown, near black, as dark as a typical schwarzbier and darker than a brown ale. Carbonation is very mild to absent. Having had some Arbor BC beers in the past that were not good at all, I'm surprised to say that this actually smells like beer. Does it smell like a dubbel, you ask? Not at all. If anything, it has a nose akin to a stout. There is burnt grains, coffee, distant chocolate, treacle, and sour milk when swirled. Medium bodied. The taste begins with a very odd fruitiness...like rotting black cherries and maybe a touch of clove spice. There is a very familiar taste that I now recognize...the burnt rubber and asphalt of the Bell's Wheat series. I wonder if this is the same yeast. It sure tastes like it. In the middle, there is some mild burnt chocolate, then a mild herbal bitterness, and the finish is of sour malted milk. Very mild, and mostly on the sweet side.

Hrmm, I don't even know where to begin with this one. It's not a Belgian Dubbel to be sure. I can't even categorize this one, but not in a good way. I guess the closest beer in style might be a funky scottish ale. The yeast is completely wrong for this beer, and the ingredients must have been what was left-over on the floor of the brewery. Ironically, and despite the complete disregard for style, it's the most drinkable beer I've had from the brewery. I could actually put about 3 or 4 of these away, they're so easy to drink. Obviously, not rated to style. (1,711 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Belgian (St. Bernardus) beer glass.

Pours nice and brown having a cola like appearance with initial head during pour that quickly fades into a thin layer. Almost looks like a stout.

An initial smell is quite enticing. Fruit flavors (a bit of plum or raisin?) and nice candy sugar come through the nose initially. A few repeated smells almost have me thinking cherries as the similarity to red wine seems not too far off.

Excellent flavors as those fruits and yeast hit right away. It's sweet through the sip with some very slight hop taste noticeable at the end. Otherwise flavors of candy and fruit pervade the beverage. Enjoyable mouth feel, nice and airy but with some syrupy qualities to keep the flavors sitting on your tongue. I'd call it faithful to the style.

A great take on a dubbel. It seems like any Belgian style beer released in six packs ends up being some half-assed attempt however this is enjoyable. Not as complex as the top line of Dubbels but will do in a pinch if it's available and you're on a budget. (1,061 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +2%

12oz to tulip glass, pours a nice brown/reddish shade, foamy tight laced bubbled head fades fairly quickly, looks pretty good

smells of belgian yeast, malty breadiness, dark fruit sweetness

taste is of figgy sweet heavy yeastliness, alcohol is hidden well but shows itself in the finish, low carbonation, creamy, appley, wood, interesting take on a dubble

mouthfeel is a lot going on, slight bitterness, slight sweetness, somewhat dry finish, lots of nuances of different flavors, heavily focused on the yeast, overall an interesting beer (541 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Beer pours out with about 3 fingers of tan, fizzy head on top. Not much lacing but decent head retention. The beer is very dark on the top and fades to sort of a dark amber color on the bottom. Smells are of malts, dark fruits, and a touch of alcohol. Almost reminds me of grape juice. Taste is mostly fruity and tart, a bit of a malty finish touched off with an alcoholic warmth left in the chest. This beer was very carbonated, and light to medium bodied. Overall, it wasn't bad, I might try it again. (503 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +3.7%

reviewing a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. i have had it on tap before and bottled multiple times though.

appearance- a deep brown. very small tannish head that faded quickly left behind a lacing.

smell- strong maltyness, and a little bit of yeast and some raisons

taste- follows the nose pretty well. strong malts, the yeast and raisons come in stronger that the nose.

mouthfeel- medium body, not very carbonated.

overall- a good, but not great dubbel. i would certainly drink it again but am not going to search desperately for it. I paid ~$12 for a 6 pack and had it on tap for $4 for a 12oz serving at Arbor Brewing (626 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance is a brown color with lots of lighter copper highlights, and a smallish head that dissolves fast. Nose is raisins, chocolate, and cookies. Taste is dried fruit, cherries, brown sugar. Molasses and some light sourness. It's also fairly unbalanced, in terms of the massive distinction between the early sweet malt and the later hit of bitter hops that sticks on your tongue. Body is a little thin, but with a good aftertaste. Not bad, but that divide in flavors is a little jolting. (491 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Phat Abbot is a thick dark brown with red hues. The light brown head is nicely creamy and fairly tight. It doesn't quite reach one finger, but comes close and holds itself pretty well. It remains as a strong foam that leaves solid creamy lacing after it.
Some candi sugars seem to be there in the aroma, but this doesn't quite have the sweetness most Dubbels seem to, either from those sugars or the nature of the yeast. What imparted instead is more of the earthy and spicy elements with lots of dark breads in the malts. A bit of clove and just a hint of bubble gun ease out as it warms.
The same goes for the flavor as to the overall nature. There's definitely some phenolic character on the tongue, and it tingles a bit. Lots of earth and breads hold it down for the spiciness, gentle but firm. Clove and pepper are assertive without biting too hard, and, while it takes some warming, some banana and maybe a ghost of dark fruits sneak out.
The body is medium, but the feel is missing some of the real richness and character that makes the great Belgians great. It has a little texture but not the full depth, though it's pleasantly crisp and smooth. (1,154 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to hopdog for opening this...
Appears a dark brown with red edges when held to the light. Small, light tan head fades to a small cap. Spotty streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of prunes, cocoa powder, grape juice, caramel, sweet fruits, tart apple, and vanilla. I'm guessing Westmalle yeast but I have no idea with the esters coming off...I'm guessing higher fermentation temp.
Mouthfeel is tart, sweet, bubbly, grapey, and plummy prunes.
This one actually grew on me a bit. It was sort of funky at first b/c it wasn't what I expected but it warmed up, got a little better and I would actually seek it out again. (642 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +5.4%

A-Clear dark brown with a thin tan head that reduced to a ring and left spotty lace.

S-Faint sweet malt and a touch of Belgian sugar and yeast.

T-Complex sweet and sour dark fruit and with the teltale Belgian yeast spiciness. Dry woody finsih.

M-Medium-light bodied with decent lasting flavour and a dry afterbite.

D-Other than the lack of aroma this was a tasty and quite drinkable brew. (392 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

750ml corked bottle bought directly from the Brew Pub a few months ago. Brewed on Sep '05.

Poured a dark, dark and murky brown color with a large sized off white head. Aromas of grapes, lots of prunes and raisins, some yeast, and apples. Tastes of strong tart grapes, prunes, raisins, and yeast. The tart and puckering finish took me by surprised but really grew on me as I drank more. Sweet with a stronger tart / puckering finish. Different than a lot of Dubbels...

Notes from 10/5/06 (489 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +6.8%

12 ounce bottle into chalice, no bottle dating. Pours very hazy dark reddish brown color with a 1 finger fairly dense cream colored head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of raisin, banana, prune, clove, pepper, molasses, toast, caramel, candi sugar, dark bread, and earthy yeast spiciness. Nice aromas with good complexity and balance of malt, fruity, and spicy ester notes; fairly strong on the spicy and earthiness. Taste of raisin, prune, banana, molasses, toast, caramel, clove, pepper, dark bread, candi sugar, and earthy yeast spiciness. Lingering notes of dark fruit, banana, molasses, toast, clove, pepper, caramel, dark bread, candi sugar, and earthy yeast spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance of malt, dark fruit, and spicy ester flavors; with good complexity and zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly slick, earthy, and fairly crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very good dubbel style. Nice complexity and balance of flavors; and very smooth to sip on. A nicely enjoyable offering. (1,279 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +7.3%

I found the Belgians here to be the pleasant surprise. The Dubbel was very dark brown with a yeasty head and yeasy aroma. The mouthfeel was thinner than I would expect but the taste was sweet with candy and complex dark fruity and yeasty and quite drinkable. (258 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast