Arbor Brewing Buzzsaw Ale - Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing Buzzsaw AleArbor Brewing Buzzsaw Ale

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: GRPunk on 09-23-2012)
Reviews by Rostie:

3.24/5  rDev -15%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Pale orange, gold, about 1 finger white head.

Smell - Pungent pine, resin, grapefruit and slight pineapple.

Taste - Flavor of pine, grapefruit, good balance between bitter and tart. Slight ground pepper spiciness. Light malts with a subtle roastiness, dried out piny bitterness at the end that lingers as the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, medium carbonation, crisp, refreshing.

Overall - Good beer. With this brewed year round you can't go wrong trying it. Lots of hoppy character that is sure to grab your attention right off the bat.

3.43/5  rDev -10%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
7.5% ABV, no date.

Thanks for bringing this one back for me Chris!

"Where's Buzzsaw?" "He had to split."

A - Buzzsaw's tall head lingers around for what seems like forever, making it quite hard to stuff my nose in the glass for a whiff. Thick gobs of lace remain stuck to the pint as the whipped head collapses to a plateau. The golden beer pours totally hazy and looks like a hefe in the pint.

S - This beer doesn't have quite the ferociousness I was expecting from the label's depiction. Instead, Buzzsaw shows restraint with the hops on the aroma as light pine and blended citrus barely rise above the caramel malt aroma.

T - Homebrew-like flavor seems to stem from plenty of yeast in the beer (again, totally hazed) with fruity esters I can't quite put my finger on. Grapefruit and mango hoppiness do seem to flourish a little more in flavor than the aroma lets on but, this beer is powerfully malty with a sweet caramel and base pale background.

M - Very smooth across the palate, Buzzsaw almost has a creamy, full feel to it. Medium-bodied, this beer's high point is the nice dry bitterness that lingers along the back end which still seems quite low for an American IPA of this high alcohol content.

O - Buzzsaw keeps me laughing about The Running Man which I suppose is it's best trait. Over all, I find it a fairly weak American IPA. Not because there aren't enough hops in it but rather because I think it's too balanced by all the malt (and plenty of yeast). This beer would be very passable as a (strong - alcohol-wise) Pale Ale but I just think the malt bill needs to be lessened to let the hops shine through. The building blocks for a good IPA are here but this beer doesn't quite hit the mark.

3.86/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - This offering is amber in color with golden highlights. One inch of head caps it.

S - It has a nice citrus aroma. I get fresh oranges and grapefruit.

T - It starts out with a little mango. Then I get more citrus flavors. Finishing with some grapefruit and juniper.

M - Moderate

O - This is an easy drinking IPA. I prefer it to ABC's Sacred Cow. One of the better beers that I have had from Arbor Brewing.

3.41/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Arbor Brewing's Buzzsaw Ale last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I have tried this beer a couple times at some beer festivals, I thought it was good and since Arbor decided to start bottling this I decided I needed to revisit it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's fairly eye catching and it had a cool comic book look to it. It poured a hazy golden color that took on a nice bright orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very nice looking IPA, there's not a single thing wrong with the way it looks.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart a grainy and very bread like aroma along with a noticeable bread crust aroma. After that comes the hops which are on the citrus side and impart some citrus rind, along with some mango, grapefruit and some light pineapple aromas. The aroma was nice, but it seemed like the bready malts stuck out a little too much.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness and lots of malts that impart a grainy, stale malt, bread and bread crust like aroma that were more dominant than it should be. Up next comes the hops which are still on the citrus side, but only impart a light citrus flavor that is very similar to citrus rinds and there was also a slight floral hops taste. On the finish there was a higher amount of bitterness with a really grainy and slightly citrusy aftertaste. This was a pretty average tasting American IPA. the malts were just too dominate and the hops only imparted a very light citrus flavor with more bitterness than hop flavors.

M- Not that smooth, dry, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but it could have been smoother.

Overall this beer wasn't as good as I remembered and I thought that it was an average example of the style, the malts really showed up in this beer making it pretty bready tasting and the hops had the bitterness to balance out the malts but not the flavors to balance them out which made it not well balanced. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth and the flavors didn't do a good job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, i'm not interested in following this up with another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it was very good and pretty true to style, there wasn't a single thing wrong with the way it looks. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and the drinkability, and they were disappointing and they both weren't what I expected from this style or the brewery. I wouldn't buy bottles of this again, it's not hard to find a much better bottled American IPA, but I would give it another try on draft to see if it's any different, I wouldn't recommend this to my friends as a good American IPA, there are much better ones out there. All in I was let down with this beer just like I was with their other new bottled offering, it just wasn't as good as I remembered and the malts were too dominant for the style, it would have been nice if the hops imparted some more citrus flavors to go with all that bitterness. Nice try guys, but this one didn't work out that well, it needs a lot of work, better luck next time, this doesn't remind of the Buzzsaw Ale that one best of show at the beer festival, I think something went wrong here.

Arbor Brewing Buzzsaw Ale from Arbor Brewing Company