Arbor Brewing Violin Monster - Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing Company visit their website

American Dark Wheat Ale |  9.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: TheBrewo on 08-31-2013

A geographical approach to the werewolf legends results in identification of a major werewolf area stretching from mid-Germany into the Netherlands and Belgium.

With this in mind, we have created a strong, dark, spice ale using ingredients from those regions.

Brewed with Midnight Wheat, warming spices, and a hint of brown sugar, the Violin Monster is black as night and packs a punch at 9.5%.

Unleash your inner beast with Violin Monster Dark Ale, but beware...it finishes with a bite!
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.25/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice label art! Who knew that mythical carnivores had a soft side?

The beer appears black with a thick, fizzy tan cap. The aroma brings autumn spices, to include cinnamon, nutmeg. Additional notes of pie crust, squash, malt, brown bread, raked leaves, footballs, flannel. The flavor follows the aroma. This is pretty tasty! Grandiose spiced profile without the customary cloying sweetness. Although the abv is approaching double digits, the drinkability is just fine.

Man, I've been using this organic deodorant and this hit ain't cutting it. I just took a shower a few hours ago and I smell like a bunch of adolescent boy scouts at a jamboree. Gonna have to change it up.

Anyhow, this beverage is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Chocolate pumpkin pie. Some English porter characteristics. A solid beer. I'm drinking this out of season because your mom.

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

3.91/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.44/5  rDev -11.8%

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Arbor's Violin Monster a few weeks ago at Boyne Country Provisions. I've been meaning to try this beer and since I was I able to track it down I knew I had to to try it, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes great with the name and it's eye catching just like the actual Violin Monster. It poured a dark brown color that took on more of black color when held to the light with just a little bit of tan head that died down to a pretty thin ring that faded away and it left some patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had a little better head retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with yeast being the first to show up and it's imparts a big ripe banana aroma and it's the aspects that sticks out the most about this beer. Up next comes some candied sugar like aroma with some dark malts showing up imparting a little bit of a chocolate like aroma along with a little more sweetness. This beer has a nice aroma, but I thought the yeast was just a little too dominating.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with that banana yeast still being the first to show up and it still sticks out the most. It's followed by some of those dark malts which impart a light roasted and chocolate flavors with a little more sweetness coming through on the finish along with a slight bit of bitterness and a noticeable boozy flavor with some more of the yeast showing up in the aftertaste. this is a nice tasting beer, but I still think the yeast is too dominating and the alcohol could have been hidden a little better.

M- A little smooth, a little boozy, slightly crisp, a little velvety, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice, but I wish it was a little smoother.

Overall I thought this beer was nice and it's a nice example of the style, but when it came down to it there wasn't really as much balance as I was hoping for and it seemed like the yeast got a little carried away. This beer had ok drinkability, one glass would be enough, it's too much to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance, it's a pretty nice looking beer. What I like the least about this beer is the balance, the yeast was just a little too overpowering. I might get this beer again and I wouldn't turn one down. It's not a must try, but if you really like the style I think it's worth a shot. All in all I felt like this beer came pretty close to falling in the middle, it wasn't bad by any means, but it didn't have anything that set it apart and made it memorable besides the label. It's not a favorite Arbor beer and it's just a little above average for the style. Nice job guys, but with s a little more work I think this could be a great beer.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Arbor Brewing Violin Monster.

Usually Arbor Brewing leads me right. And needless to say a nearly ten percent uhh...dark..wheat ale piqued my interest unlike many other brews ever have. I am quite excited as dark wheats are a completely new style to me and that I'll go to bed quite intoxicated due to the ABV.

Look - Pours a deep, Dark impenetrable black with a half finger of mocha head that receeds to a small cap on the top of the beer. Carbonation is completely unreadable due to the dark abyss of this look. Y'know for not being a stout I'd say this is an exceptional look. 4.5.

Smell - Oh boy, I have a feeling I may be in for a treat with this one. Wheaty goodness with a nice dosage of dark chocolates and a bit of espresso. Alcoholic fumes engulf the nose on the tale end. A bit of a Belgian yeasty aspect as well. 4.

Taste - Bubblegum and rich chocolate notes are the dominant players upon initial sip followed by the noticeable wheat with just a smidge of espresso like coffee and a small, though noticeable alcohol presence. 4.5.

Feel - Rather light bodied with a good dosage of creamyness. Carbonation is light though existent with a noticeable tingle of alcohol. Allowing the beer to sit open mouthed and breathing allows for the welcoming of some ginger spice flavorings that linger around. 4.5.

Overall - * Ding ding ding * We have a winner with this one. A highly drinkable large ABV monster with some unique and quite well balanced flavors. This is probably my favorite fall beer of all time. If I had to complain, it would be that the body could have fived with more thickness. And I see I am the tenth review on this little guy. Here ya go bro, now you officially have a well deserved number. 4.5.

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%