2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ghost Scorpion Lager - Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus

Ghost Scorpion LagerGhost Scorpion Lager

poor

Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus visit their website
Ohio, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: CFHMagnet on 03-22-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 55 | Reviews: 18 | Show All Ratings:
Ryan011235

1.01/5  rDev -60.4%

Poured into a snifter on 6/1/12

Much appreciation to MbpBugeye for burning the hell out of every palate at the tasting.

A) Murky gold with flakes. No head or lace.

S) Chili peppers. So hot. That's it.

T) Holy shit.

M) Pain. Scathing, enduring pain.

O) Fuck that.

09-26-2013 06:46:22 | More by Ryan011235
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.04/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottle split (haha) on 7.30.13

A - Gusher, pours a clear light orange-yellow with a fizzy tan head that is gone very fast.

S - Salsa, peppers, actually decent.

T - Peppers and FIRE!!!

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - Smells and tastes pretty decent, but damn it is hot!

09-06-2013 04:23:32 | More by HuskyinPDX
kojevergas

3.21/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to michaellcoates for this bottle. It's been a sort of ironic want for awhile now. 5.0% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool label art and standard unbranded pry-off cap served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; I've never had a beer from this brewery before.

Served cold, straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Reviewed as a chili beer, but I'll be paying attention to the "German style lager" beneath those notes as well.

Right when I opened it liquid started surging upwards so I had to act fast to pour it. Definitely seems overcarbonated.

A: Pours a two finger wide head - the fizziest I've ever seen - which quickly fizzles down to nothing (within about 20 seconds), but then strangely it redevelops a half finger head thereafter; I've never seen a head behave this way but it's kind of cool. Grey-white colour (or ecru for the pretentious). Disappointingly thin. No creaminess or frothiness. No lacing.

Body colour is a dull copper with peach hues. Pretty underwhelming. Murky; nontransparent. Semitranslucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's not looking great - either for a chili beer or a German style lager.

Sm: Definite chili presence; it's kind of powdery. Lurking danger; I can sense the vinegary heat. Pilsner malts. Minimally light floral hop character - purely as a preservative here. Crystal malt. The chili character is alright; I don't get much depth or variety. I certainly couldn't tell from the aroma alone that two different peppers were used. Redolent of those yellow chilis you get at In N Out Burger. A pretty strong aroma, but not as potent as I expected. Pretty standard fare for a chili beer.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: A simple pilsner and light crystal malt open might have you thinking for a couple seconds "Oh, this isn't so bad..." then the pepper notes hit on the back end, lingering long after the swallow and sustaining for one of the longest aftertastes I've ever experienced. The heat itself isn't intolerable or painful, at least when I sip it. I do feel the heat in my stomach; if you're not a fan of that sensation you shouldn't be drinking this beer. That said, it is quite spicy. I certainly wouldn't want a full pull off the bottle. But it doesn't sting and it doesn't have me sweating (and I probably have a below average tolerance for spiciness). It's roughly equivalent to eating a pizza slice with way too many red peppers on it in terms of spiciness. And most of that heat is in the aftertaste, not the actual body.

What it really needs to aid the balance is more of a juicy citrusy hop presence. I'm not sure the selection of a German style lager as the foundation for this chili beer was a good one; a Pale Ale or IPA base might have made this beer more enjoyable.

No alcohol or yeast character through.

Mf: Fizzy as hell. Coarse from the pepper blasts, but wet. Certainly not at all refreshing in any way. Not oily, harsh, or biting. It suits the flavour profile generally; it's hard to architect a texture that's a perfect marriage to spicy chilis. Decent body for what it is. Not too thick or overbearing.

Dr: Drinkability is low low low. Definitely a sipper. Not a beer you could chug with a gun to your head. It certainly delivers on the promise of its premise; it brings the spiciness and the peppers definitely come through; the worst beers in the style don't bring any pepper or spice at all. I respect that this beer commits to its concept. But it isn't the crazy hot spicy beer it pretends to be; it feels like a marketing gimmick, but there's nothing wrong with that per se. I wouldn't get it again; there are far better beers brewed with chilis out there; Habanero Sculpin comes to mind. The German-style lager foundation is pretty mediocre.

It falls a bit short of what it aims to accomplish, but the result is fairly palatable chili beer that might pair nicely with pizza. If you're looking for the hottest beer in the world, look elsewhere, but if you're passively curious about chili beers and you're in the mood for one I could see this being a purchase you won't regret.

I'll definitely finish this bottle (alone).

High C+

06-29-2013 19:57:20 | More by kojevergas
Doodler

Colorado

1.35/5  rDev -47.1%

12 oz bottle shared with buds over at Crooked Stave. Everyone manned up to try some but I drank most of it. So this is what passes for the world’s hottest beer? Sorry, this has to be a toned down version of last years brew, now seems like a castrated, wimpier bottled version. Got a sixer in trade today and will use these other bottles for chili base and steak marinate, as it is worthless overall.

Twisted Pine's Billy Chilies is twice a flavorful and at least as hot as this beer. Seems like someone forgot to add any malts, hops or other grains to the final product.

So for the review - poured a weak amber color with no head. Aroma is worthless, just some juice and pepper heat. No flavor, just an okay spicy, thin lager. Go get some Ghost Face Killah if you want a serously flaming brew...that one sticks to the tongue like a cattle brand....

03-25-2013 23:06:59 | More by Doodler
yamar68

3.91/5  rDev +53.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Many thanks to inebriatedjoker for hooking me up with a couple of these long-anticipated beauties! Taking the first 12oz straight to my dome piece.

Pours just like any other of the more extreme chile beers - think Wildfire or Ghost Face. Murky red/copper with a tinge of green hue around the edge of the glass. A half finger of fizzing white head subsides to a thin collar before vanishing completely, leaving me with a scary looking glass of fire.

Extremely aromatic. I don't get any of that bland green veggie thing... there's an intense barbeque spice from the Bhut Jolokia and curry-like contribution from the Scorpion (at least I assume it is, I'm not that familiar with the Trinidad Scorpion). So far, this is living up to my every expectation.

That is one spicy beer. Clean on the front of the palate before it swells up to a massive crescendo of dry pepper heat. It's interesting how different these two strains are, being that they share a seat at the top of the scoville scale. The ghost chile offers that black pepper, smoky BBQ flavor while the Trinidad provides a Indian or Caribbean flavor... like a jerk rub or something. The flavors are much less muddy here than in any food I've had which incorporates the ghost chile.

Very intense beer and I look forward to the other bottle. If you are a true chile fanatic, this beer is an absolute must-try. It delivers precisely what it is I'm looking for. It's not even remotely as over-the-top as some have said... it's exactly what it claims to be.

03-20-2013 21:42:56 | More by yamar68
buschbeer

2.85/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - As soon as I broke the seal beige foam gushed out of the bottle. I poured it into a glass to violent effervescence. The foam settled down to nothing within a minute. The vile liquid that remained was orange with sunset highlights. I could see yeast suspended in this concoction.

S - It smells like hot sauce.

T - At first nothing . . . then the back of my throat starts to get warm. As I take a couple sips, my tongue begins to feel the effects. It starts at the back of my tongue, and it creeps forward. Meanwhile the warmth at the back of my throat slides down my esophagus. My chest tightens and gets warm. Finally, the heat lands in my stomach. This is going to be bad.

M - Thin and watery.

O - What the hell was I thinking? I tried this at a bar last year. I thought I could drink a bottle. If I do it will take all day. It may just end up in the chili I am making. This is a bottle to share and punish your friends. It is not as hot as last year's version. It was made with pepper purée. This batch was just steeped with peppers, so I was told. I like spicy food, but I think I am done with this beer.

12-16-2012 21:37:24 | More by buschbeer
MasterSki

2.1/5  rDev -17.6%

Thanks to TurdFurgison for this gem. Served in a taster pint glass.

A - Generous white foam quickly settles to nothing. Lightly hazed pale straw body with some visible bubble streams.

S - Smells like ghost peppers (I've cooked with them before). There's some sweet pilsner malt or something of that ilk in the background, but this is pretty much all pepper. The aroma is less 'hot' than I expected, and there's more vegetal and sweet pepper flavor. There's also an odd apple note - not sure if it's from the peppers or the malt.

T - Tastes like hot. Burns immediately, causing tingling of the lips and throat. Initially I wasn't even sure what it really tastes like as the burn was immediate and overpowering. I braved a second sip and actually had a bit of vegetal pepper flavor and sweetness.

M - It's hot. Went down pretty easy I suppose, but I had hiccoughs for the next 20 minutes of taking two sips of this shit. Medium-light body, didn't really notice carbonation in light of face-melting burn.

D - Drinks like a hot sauce. Great for parties, although we ended up with 8oz left out of a 12oz bottle. Curious if this was hotter when it was fresh. I also discovered this was equally as hot coming out as it was going in.

11-10-2012 17:22:52 | More by MasterSki
BgThang

1.65/5  rDev -35.3%

This is nothing more than a novety/gimmicky beer. Make the hottest beer out there. Check.
The appearance of a beer, the color of beer, etc\But as the name says scorpion, it will sting the shit out of you.
The nose on this will make you nose say WTF am I about to do.
The sweat will start to bead on your forehead before even trying this.
IT SHOULD. This beer is shared one ounce at a time. and even then it will be hard to finish.

10-21-2012 12:35:57 | More by BgThang
TheBeerologist

Rhode Island

1.15/5  rDev -54.9%

Tasting notes from 8/18/12

12oz bottle poured into a Jackie O's Munich glass

I bought this for my Dad, the one man I know who lets no heat bother him, but I had to give it a try while it was open.

Alright - this was a very difficult beer to review, partially due to its uniqueness and partly because I could drink VERY little of it. I rated this based on my pleasure drinking it - not its novelty

Poured a beautiful hazy orange/amber with a moderate head, though this was not the focus

Whoa! there is nothing but heat on the nose. This beer made my nostrils tingle.

Again, Whoa! This was not a beer that I can even handle. It was soooo hot. It burned my lips and tongue as soon as it touched them and that lingered for quite some time and slowly made its way to my belly. Damn thats hot! Not much else in there for me though

Overall - This was a great novelty and a terrible beer. It could not be finished and if it were solely up to me I would have poured 11 of the 12 ounces. I can't recommend this to anyone seriously, but if you know someone who can't get enough heat this may be right up their alley. This was the hottest thing I have ever consumed - food or drink.

08-27-2012 00:58:06 | More by TheBeerologist
rudzud

4.08/5  rDev +60%

Shared this beer with JLindros, my friend Ben, and others. They were all scared but I welcomed this with open arms. Okay, who'm I kidding, I was scared as well. Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes

A - Yeah, poors a dark goldish brown murky pool of dissolved pepper juice. No head. Why God why.

S - Why. Why do this. Theres no beer, this is all chili membrane. My nose needs a glove to smell this. Tons of chili membrane here. OMG

T - Alright, so this was fun. That first initial sip, lots of chili pepper flesh and fruit. Thats a good thing. Then it fades to the membrane. Thats not a good thing. Yeah, here comes the heat, all membrane and distilled pepper juice. Insanity.

M - Mouthfeel is well..its liquid. Be content with that.

O - Overall this was a a very unique and challenging beer. I really enjoyed it. As a huge chili head yah...this was awesome. I know its not for everyone but yah, me personally I enjoyed the experience.

07-14-2012 02:47:06 | More by rudzud
prototypic

1.53/5  rDev -40%

Ghost Scorpion pours a darker straw color. It’s very hazy. Wasn’t expecting that. Backlighting gives it a slight copper or orange look. A white head covers it and stands over a finger in height. Nevertheless, it was very quick to dissipate. Lacing is hardly worth mentioning – very light and spotty. Eh. Not bad. Interesting color.

The nose is sort of interesting. It really doesn’t possess many qualities that are reminiscent of beer. The impact of the chiles is definitely noticeable. There’s no questioning its heat. One whiff is all it takes to know it’s on its way. There are some earthy and grainy notes. There’s really not a lot otherwise though. Definitely not a lot that resembles beer. Alcohol isn’t noticeable. It’s not good, but it’s interesting. After you smell it…you’ll get it.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! This beer is HOT! Wow! There simply cannot be another beer on the planet that rivals its heat. I’m stunned. There isn’t much else to discuss about the flavor. The strong spicy flavor and the heat mask anything else that could possibly come through. I can’t imagine who could possibly be into this beer. It’s way too hot to enjoy. I’m not fanatical about hot, spicy things, but I’m not averse to them. This one is bad. Just bad. Wow.

The body is light. It’s really tough to tell how the carbonation is. The heat is so intense that you simply can’t focus on anything else. Drinkable? Uhhh….no way! I’d love to see someone polish off an entire 12 oz. bottle of this. That would be a huge challenge!

Ghost Scorpion is brewed with supposedly the two hottest chiles in the world (Ghost and Scorpion). From where I’m sitting, I’ll buy that. It makes for awful beer, but it’s damn hot! I guess if that’s your thing, knock yourself out. I’d suggest steering clear of this one though. Seriously….heed those words!

06-17-2012 03:00:02 | More by prototypic
jlindros

3.18/5  rDev +24.7%

Thanks or no thanks to Rudzud for sharing...

Barely any head, hazy funky looking beige color with no carbonation, it even looks evil.

Nose pure capcasin, just pure extract of hot pepper smells like satan fucking my sinuses (thanks for the descriptor Mark), Pure Jolokia flesh grown in the depths of satan's bowels, I need a nose or tongue condom to even get close to this one. Beer? Unlikely to actually be any beer in this liquid hot sauce.

Tongue , oh god do I dare... Best of luck to us all... Well its quite hot but not kick me on the balls hot, yet. The heat ramps even more on the second sip... by far the hottest beer I've ever had, lots of crazy hot pepper, extract of capcasin hot, my stomach is curdling and my face is steaming and feels like it's swelling, wow..!!! The heat hits well like a nice big pepper, but doesn't stay as long as I expected, more down the throat than anything. Not much by way of actual beer underneath it though, or at least I can't get my mouth to detect anything other than alarm.

mouth is almost non-existent other than ridiculous heat and I can tell that there is some form of liquid in there.

Overall, why?!!

Seriously though. My stomach is literally boiling and curdling itself. It is very unhappy with me. The heat on the mouth and throat was good, mostly tolerable, but once in the stomach my body seems to be rejecting my stomach. It's not like I want to throw up, more like my body wants to shovel my entire stomach out of itself. Am I going to die!!!

06-14-2012 12:21:42 | More by jlindros
nrbw23

1.03/5  rDev -59.6%

A- Pours a pretty ugly slightly murky rust color with no head at all. Hardly any bubbles. Quite a bit of chunks floating around too.

S- I'm picking up nothing but peppers. Has zero beer like qualities. ZERO.

T- What the hell. Liquid fire. Inferno. Hell. This is the hottest thing I've ever drank. Lips are burning stomach is churning. Instant hiccups. Again there is nothing to this "beer" other than heat and peppers.

M- Pretty thin in body and low carbonation.

O- I'd like to see someone try to drink a whole bottle of this. Way too painful to drink.

06-04-2012 21:42:52 | More by nrbw23
WillCarrera

4.33/5  rDev +69.8%

12 oz bottle, no bottled on date, poured into a snifter. Split this with two buddies.

A- Pours an ominous looking golden/red color, it looks murky and has a color gradient, it actually gets slightly more clear towards the edges, produces no head whatsoever and no lacing.

S- Peppers and heat, not much else, I can already tell how hot this is going to be.

T- Fire. Straight up. I drank Ghost Face Killah a few weeks before trying this one, so I thought I was ready, but this is considerably hotter. I took one very small sip and could just feel a burning sensation creep down my throat. This is an extremely hot beer, it's difficult to taste much besides heat, but from what I can tell the peppers taste really nice.

M- Can't say much here, I guess it's light bodied, has a.... damn hot feel, seriously it just burns like crazy.

O- I had a great time drinking this beer. One of my buddies gargled with it, so then the rest of had to follow suit so we wouldn't look like bitches. It's hot, way hot. If you're looking for the hottest beer in the world this is probably it. It's definitely an interesting experience and, for what it is, it's great. High marks for this one, because seriously, if you're drinking this, you know what you're getting into, don't act all surprised when it burns the hell out of you.

05-04-2012 08:55:15 | More by WillCarrera
deathcharms

1.23/5  rDev -51.8%

Shared at a recent tasting as a finale beer. But this isn't really a beer... You get no hop, malt, yeast qualities from this liquid it is just pure fire. Poured vigorously it yields no head. Smell is sweet-ish tons of cayenne not to hot from the smell. Taste isn't really a factor with this beer, if I could I'd give it a 0, this beer has no taste, just burn. The mouth feel is just burn. I only got 2 sips into it.

Really this beer should be a 0-1 since it has no beer quality sans a few bubbles and its golden amber color.

04-12-2012 16:59:23 | More by deathcharms
wagenvolks

3.93/5  rDev +54.1%

12oz bottle shared at a recent tasting.

This is one of the easiest reviews I've ever written. The appearance is a tepid, pale golden hue with an unsightly haze throughout the lagered body. No head to speak of, or carbonation for that matter. The aroma is slightly sweet at first, but hits you quickly with a punch of chlorophyll and underlying capsaicin waiting to be unleashed on your unsuspecting palate.

As a Chili Beer, this is far and away the hottest I have ever, and probably will ever, encounter. Twisted Pine's Ghost Face Killah packs MAYBE 1/5th the heat of this insane beer experience. The heat scorches the top of the tongue and burns, burns, burns all the way across the roof and sides of the mouth, tongue, and throat. There is really no escaping the heat, as the capsaicin oils give the eyes and nose as much of a workout as the mouth. I barely made it through the ounce sample that I was given...and I consider myself a big fan of the spicy stuff.

Give Ghost Scorpion a try if you're brave enough. I guarantee that it will be memorable.

04-02-2012 06:24:35 | More by wagenvolks
markwillus

4.23/5  rDev +65.9%

I bought 2 bottles and opened one to drink. This is not a beer, this is an event. The hottest thing in the world. I agree with the numbing effect on the lips. Two sips in, I had to do a shot of milk to get to the third sip. Poured the rest down the drain and two days later made chili with the second bottle. 2 quarts of chili with one bottle of this beer and my coworkers thought I was Texas Red. This beer is a pretty good idea, but a better ingredient. Maybe even better as a party toughman contest...need another bottle.

03-29-2012 01:02:20 | More by markwillus
CFHMagnet

3.2/5  rDev +25.5%

Let me start off by saying this beer has me worried. I've been hearing wild stories about it overpowering people at a spicy foods festival; people who's tongues hurt so bad after drinking it they couldn't talk. It's been said the brewer wanted to make this brew undrinkable. It already has an imposing reputation. But the beast must be sampled.

An aggressive pour yielded no (yes I said NO) head. I fizzed quite a bit up top, but left me with nothing up there. The body is a murky orange-brown.

I smell nothing but hot peppers. As I near the sampling of this, I'm worrying worse and worse.

I take a swig, and hold it. "This isn't so bad," I think. It tastes like vegetables, lightly of peppers... holy SHIT! It burns! My mouth is on fire. This is possibly the hottest, spiciest thing I have ever consumed. At two sips in, I'm crying, my esophagus is burning like a highway to hell and my lips are almost numb already. With the third and forth sips I can taste the sweetness of the peppers before they punish me for continuing. I don't know if I'm even able to score this fairly as after a second or two the only sensation I get is pain.

Very fizzy. Refer to last sentence of previous paragraph.

This beer is punishment. My lips keep on alternating between sweet, sweet numbness and excruciating pain. If you are reading this, and thinking about drinking this beer, be forewarned: Finishing it is not to be taken lightly.

Edit: I was unable to finish this beer. I was working on it slowly, doing chores, when suddenly my stomach cramped up. As I do have acid and stomach issues, trying this beer was ill-advised anyway, so I decided to stop after consuming a third of it rather than continue the punishment.

03-22-2012 03:03:43 | More by CFHMagnet