Ghost Scorpion Lager - Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: CFHMagnet on 03-22-2012

Reviews by kojevergas:
3.21/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to michaellcoates for this bottle. It's been a sort of ironic want for awhile now. 5.0% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool label art and standard unbranded pry-off cap served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; I've never had a beer from this brewery before.

Served cold, straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Reviewed as a chili beer, but I'll be paying attention to the "German style lager" beneath those notes as well.

Right when I opened it liquid started surging upwards so I had to act fast to pour it. Definitely seems overcarbonated.

A: Pours a two finger wide head - the fizziest I've ever seen - which quickly fizzles down to nothing (within about 20 seconds), but then strangely it redevelops a half finger head thereafter; I've never seen a head behave this way but it's kind of cool. Grey-white colour (or ecru for the pretentious). Disappointingly thin. No creaminess or frothiness. No lacing.

Body colour is a dull copper with peach hues. Pretty underwhelming. Murky; nontransparent. Semitranslucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's not looking great - either for a chili beer or a German style lager.

Sm: Definite chili presence; it's kind of powdery. Lurking danger; I can sense the vinegary heat. Pilsner malts. Minimally light floral hop character - purely as a preservative here. Crystal malt. The chili character is alright; I don't get much depth or variety. I certainly couldn't tell from the aroma alone that two different peppers were used. Redolent of those yellow chilis you get at In N Out Burger. A pretty strong aroma, but not as potent as I expected. Pretty standard fare for a chili beer.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: A simple pilsner and light crystal malt open might have you thinking for a couple seconds "Oh, this isn't so bad..." then the pepper notes hit on the back end, lingering long after the swallow and sustaining for one of the longest aftertastes I've ever experienced. The heat itself isn't intolerable or painful, at least when I sip it. I do feel the heat in my stomach; if you're not a fan of that sensation you shouldn't be drinking this beer. That said, it is quite spicy. I certainly wouldn't want a full pull off the bottle. But it doesn't sting and it doesn't have me sweating (and I probably have a below average tolerance for spiciness). It's roughly equivalent to eating a pizza slice with way too many red peppers on it in terms of spiciness. And most of that heat is in the aftertaste, not the actual body.

What it really needs to aid the balance is more of a juicy citrusy hop presence. I'm not sure the selection of a German style lager as the foundation for this chili beer was a good one; a Pale Ale or IPA base might have made this beer more enjoyable.

No alcohol or yeast character through.

Mf: Fizzy as hell. Coarse from the pepper blasts, but wet. Certainly not at all refreshing in any way. Not oily, harsh, or biting. It suits the flavour profile generally; it's hard to architect a texture that's a perfect marriage to spicy chilis. Decent body for what it is. Not too thick or overbearing.

Dr: Drinkability is low low low. Definitely a sipper. Not a beer you could chug with a gun to your head. It certainly delivers on the promise of its premise; it brings the spiciness and the peppers definitely come through; the worst beers in the style don't bring any pepper or spice at all. I respect that this beer commits to its concept. But it isn't the crazy hot spicy beer it pretends to be; it feels like a marketing gimmick, but there's nothing wrong with that per se. I wouldn't get it again; there are far better beers brewed with chilis out there; Habanero Sculpin comes to mind. The German-style lager foundation is pretty mediocre.

It falls a bit short of what it aims to accomplish, but the result is fairly palatable chili beer that might pair nicely with pizza. If you're looking for the hottest beer in the world, look elsewhere, but if you're passively curious about chili beers and you're in the mood for one I could see this being a purchase you won't regret.

I'll definitely finish this bottle (alone).

High C+

1.02/5  rDev -59%

Poured into a snifter on 6/1/12

Much appreciation to MbpBugeye for burning the hell out of every palate at the tasting.

A) Murky gold with flakes. No head or lace.

S) Chili peppers. So hot. That's it.

T) Holy shit.

M) Pain. Scathing, enduring pain.

O) Fuck that.

If i could give less than 1 star, I would. Excessively hot. I like spicy things. But, I could barely get down a sip before a wave of heat completely coated my mouth. Akin to having your throat raped by Satan's flaming penis. I understand trying this for a novelty, but other than that, avoid this at all costs. Your intestines will never forgive you otherwise.

1.61/5  rDev -35.3%

Ghost Scorpion pours a darker straw color. It’s very hazy. Wasn’t expecting that. Backlighting gives it a slight copper or orange look. A white head covers it and stands over a finger in height. Nevertheless, it was very quick to dissipate. Lacing is hardly worth mentioning – very light and spotty. Eh. Not bad. Interesting color.

The nose is sort of interesting. It really doesn’t possess many qualities that are reminiscent of beer. The impact of the chiles is definitely noticeable. There’s no questioning its heat. One whiff is all it takes to know it’s on its way. There are some earthy and grainy notes. There’s really not a lot otherwise though. Definitely not a lot that resembles beer. Alcohol isn’t noticeable. It’s not good, but it’s interesting. After you smell it…you’ll get it.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! This beer is HOT! Wow! There simply cannot be another beer on the planet that rivals its heat. I’m stunned. There isn’t much else to discuss about the flavor. The strong spicy flavor and the heat mask anything else that could possibly come through. I can’t imagine who could possibly be into this beer. It’s way too hot to enjoy. I’m not fanatical about hot, spicy things, but I’m not averse to them. This one is bad. Just bad. Wow.

The body is light. It’s really tough to tell how the carbonation is. The heat is so intense that you simply can’t focus on anything else. Drinkable? Uhhh….no way! I’d love to see someone polish off an entire 12 oz. bottle of this. That would be a huge challenge!

Ghost Scorpion is brewed with supposedly the two hottest chiles in the world (Ghost and Scorpion). From where I’m sitting, I’ll buy that. It makes for awful beer, but it’s damn hot! I guess if that’s your thing, knock yourself out. I’d suggest steering clear of this one though. Seriously….heed those words!

1.75/5  rDev -29.7%

2.3/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.25

1.5/5  rDev -39.8%

1.27/5  rDev -49%

Shared at a recent tasting as a finale beer. But this isn't really a beer... You get no hop, malt, yeast qualities from this liquid it is just pure fire. Poured vigorously it yields no head. Smell is sweet-ish tons of cayenne not to hot from the smell. Taste isn't really a factor with this beer, if I could I'd give it a 0, this beer has no taste, just burn. The mouth feel is just burn. I only got 2 sips into it.

Really this beer should be a 0-1 since it has no beer quality sans a few bubbles and its golden amber color.

1.48/5  rDev -40.6%

Interesting appearance and smell, but very hot

2.5/5  rDev +0.4%

3.91/5  rDev +57%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Many thanks to inebriatedjoker for hooking me up with a couple of these long-anticipated beauties! Taking the first 12oz straight to my dome piece.

Pours just like any other of the more extreme chile beers - think Wildfire or Ghost Face. Murky red/copper with a tinge of green hue around the edge of the glass. A half finger of fizzing white head subsides to a thin collar before vanishing completely, leaving me with a scary looking glass of fire.

Extremely aromatic. I don't get any of that bland green veggie thing... there's an intense barbeque spice from the Bhut Jolokia and curry-like contribution from the Scorpion (at least I assume it is, I'm not that familiar with the Trinidad Scorpion). So far, this is living up to my every expectation.

That is one spicy beer. Clean on the front of the palate before it swells up to a massive crescendo of dry pepper heat. It's interesting how different these two strains are, being that they share a seat at the top of the scoville scale. The ghost chile offers that black pepper, smoky BBQ flavor while the Trinidad provides a Indian or Caribbean flavor... like a jerk rub or something. The flavors are much less muddy here than in any food I've had which incorporates the ghost chile.

Very intense beer and I look forward to the other bottle. If you are a true chile fanatic, this beer is an absolute must-try. It delivers precisely what it is I'm looking for. It's not even remotely as over-the-top as some have said... it's exactly what it claims to be.

2.85/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - As soon as I broke the seal beige foam gushed out of the bottle. I poured it into a glass to violent effervescence. The foam settled down to nothing within a minute. The vile liquid that remained was orange with sunset highlights. I could see yeast suspended in this concoction.

S - It smells like hot sauce.

T - At first nothing . . . then the back of my throat starts to get warm. As I take a couple sips, my tongue begins to feel the effects. It starts at the back of my tongue, and it creeps forward. Meanwhile the warmth at the back of my throat slides down my esophagus. My chest tightens and gets warm. Finally, the heat lands in my stomach. This is going to be bad.

M - Thin and watery.

O - What the hell was I thinking? I tried this at a bar last year. I thought I could drink a bottle. If I do it will take all day. It may just end up in the chili I am making. This is a bottle to share and punish your friends. It is not as hot as last year's version. It was made with pepper purée. This batch was just steeped with peppers, so I was told. I like spicy food, but I think I am done with this beer.

4.15/5  rDev +66.7%

I bought 2 bottles and opened one to drink. This is not a beer, this is an event. The hottest thing in the world. I agree with the numbing effect on the lips. Two sips in, I had to do a shot of milk to get to the third sip. Poured the rest down the drain and two days later made chili with the second bottle. 2 quarts of chili with one bottle of this beer and my coworkers thought I was Texas Red. This beer is a pretty good idea, but a better ingredient. Maybe even better as a party toughman contest...need another bottle.

3.25/5  rDev +30.5%

2.5/5  rDev +0.4%

3.5/5  rDev +40.6%

3.22/5  rDev +29.3%

Let me start off by saying this beer has me worried. I've been hearing wild stories about it overpowering people at a spicy foods festival; people who's tongues hurt so bad after drinking it they couldn't talk. It's been said the brewer wanted to make this brew undrinkable. It already has an imposing reputation. But the beast must be sampled.

An aggressive pour yielded no (yes I said NO) head. I fizzed quite a bit up top, but left me with nothing up there. The body is a murky orange-brown.

I smell nothing but hot peppers. As I near the sampling of this, I'm worrying worse and worse.

I take a swig, and hold it. "This isn't so bad," I think. It tastes like vegetables, lightly of peppers... holy SHIT! It burns! My mouth is on fire. This is possibly the hottest, spiciest thing I have ever consumed. At two sips in, I'm crying, my esophagus is burning like a highway to hell and my lips are almost numb already. With the third and forth sips I can taste the sweetness of the peppers before they punish me for continuing. I don't know if I'm even able to score this fairly as after a second or two the only sensation I get is pain.

Very fizzy. Refer to last sentence of previous paragraph.

This beer is punishment. My lips keep on alternating between sweet, sweet numbness and excruciating pain. If you are reading this, and thinking about drinking this beer, be forewarned: Finishing it is not to be taken lightly.

Edit: I was unable to finish this beer. I was working on it slowly, doing chores, when suddenly my stomach cramped up. As I do have acid and stomach issues, trying this beer was ill-advised anyway, so I decided to stop after consuming a third of it rather than continue the punishment.

Ghost Scorpion Lager from Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus