Elevator Wicked Goat - Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus

Elevator Wicked GoatElevator Wicked Goat

Elevator Brewery & Draught Haus visit their website
Ohio, United States

(Beer added by: bluejacket74 on 10-08-2012)
Reviews by sardonicone:
1.33/5  rDev -59.9%

Elevator has long since intrigued me, and months ago I had tried this when I ran out of Kentucky Bourbon Ale. My memory was hazy, and decided to revisit this oak aged beer and see if memory served me right.

Poured in to 16 oz tumbler.

A: Pour produced a 4 finger, thick white head that looked like you could rest a card on comfortably. Head dissipated slowly and left intricate spiderweb lacing on the sides of the mug. The beer itself is a dark yellow, with a weird, murky tone to it. Darker, almost orange lines seem to permeate within the beer itself, giving it an interesting look.

S: This is where everything starts falling apart. Smells strongly of vinegar and pickles? A very minute hint of wood, not at all the the woody, earthy presence I would expect the Oak to give it. Indeed the vinegar smell is overpowering, cloying even.

T: Gut-wrenching is a word I want to use most here. Sickly sweet front is quickly followed by a highly bitter, medicinal taste that is reminiscent of rotted vegetables and vinegar. I feel like I'm drinking rotted pickles mixed with some sort of biter, acrid medicine designed to keep me alive.

M: Overly slick, Maybe? The beer itself was so disgusting it was neigh impossible for me to rate this fairly, as all I wanted to do was either swallow it as fast as possible or spit it out before I started dry heaving. I did notice it leaves a residue on the tongue well after drinking that has the flavor linger, which is not a good thing at all.

O: I wonder if I just got a bad batch. Memory had me thinking this was a far better beer than what I tasted here. What I bought was something that I can only regard as an alcohol laden ipecac . I can't honestly believe this is what the brewers were going for, but I am so turned off from this that there is no way I'd ever, EVER give this a second chance. I can only think my memory was somehow fooled, because I can't fathom how I ever thought this was a good beer to begin with.

3.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a hazy dark gold/orange color with an inch off-white head that stays around a while. There's also a good amount of lacing. The brew smells like oak, whiskey, and floral and citrusy hops. It's more boozy than hoppy smelling, but I guess that'll happen when you barrel age an IPA for 9 months. It tastes similar to the aroma, but there's also a fruity flavor (pear-like) noticeable, along with a nice bitter finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy and has moderate carbonation. I think it's a solid brew, it's worth a try. $9.99 a 4 pack.

3.78/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3/9/13 from notes:

This was shared with Jeffrey who brought this and several other Ohio beers for a beer dinner at home. Poured into a stemless Heady Topper glass. Nose was surprisingly tart for an "IPA". This was my first barrel-aged IPA so it was an eye-opener.

Taste was a little smoky, some tartness but mostly warmth coursing through. Comes on with more alcohol than the ABV would indicate which is often not a good thing, but with this beer it was a positive factor. Some bitterness in the finish that didn't quite fit with the rest of the tastes.

Overall a nice departure from the usual IPA.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%