Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
RoyalT

Preparation – I popped an Arrogant Bastard for comparison purposes and thought it might be interesting to do the review in this manner. Not only is this my 400th review, but it’s also my 39th birthday. Cheers!

Appearance – This came out a beautiful brown, lighter than the Arrogant Bastard but with a bigger head. I knew after a few minutes that it was not going down for a while, so I left it for five minutes or so.

Smell – The sharp, complex hops come out slowly and very tight. I left it again to warm a bit and came back to a smack on the olfactory bulb. The toasted malt balance is there as well, but this is all about the awesome Stone hops.

Taste – This has a little bit more malt balance than the Arrogant Bastard. Otherwise, it is surprisingly similar. It seems a bit more refined, though. The extraordinary complexity of the hops is astounding. Every type you can think of sends a delegate to this gathering of electives.

The malts have to be huge just to get noticed, and they are. There’s actually some sweetness to this one, mostly caramel and table sugar.

Mouthfeel – Full-bodied and bitter, but with a touch of offsetting caramel on the cheeks. This ale is smooth, smooth, smooth. Not a hint of alcohol that I could pick up. Unbelievable!

Drinkability – What makes the Arrogant Bastard a shade from perfect, IMHO, is the lack of refinement and harmony of flavors (which could probably be relegated with a little cellaring). The DB has it all, and IMO can not be improved.

Update – The 2005s just came out (11/10/05) so I culled one out of the cellar box before tucking it away. It’s tight and not opened up yet, but man the hops are raging and the malts are in full effect. I put my ‘04s away for two years but I think this vintage will be best after just 1 year in the cellar.

11-18-2003 02:33:06 | More by RoyalT
blackwingedhorde

01-06-2012 05:50:56 | More by blackwingedhorde
Dmann

This is truly a beer I could live off of. The beer is a stunning dark amber color with about a half inch thick dense head that lasted till the last drop. I just love the smell of this beer. It's smell is obveously familliar to Arrogant Bastard but the harsh hop and pine scents are tamed down quite a bit, and replaced by a much maltier scent. The flavour is perfect. It starts out with a huge hop kick and then settles into a nice carmel flavor with a slight bittersweet aftertaste. The taste of pine is there too, but not nearly as much as Arrogant Bastard. As the beer warms, the hop bite becomes more subtle and the warming alchohol and malt flavors come out much more. This is a beer that I could drink any time, but I dont know if my liver could handle it! Highly recommended.

11-29-2003 09:52:51 | More by Dmann
AndrewPugliese

Connecticut

If only every beer tasted this good! This beer was truly outstanding. The essay on this bottle did a better job explaining this beer than I ever could lol. There is so much flavor in this beer-it is ridiculous! A very layered and dark ale. Your tongue is having the time of its life as all of these flavors come out. A high ABV= a happy me. <3 Liquid arrogance <3

10-03-2013 02:48:12 | More by AndrewPugliese

inanity

05-15-2013 23:23:52 | More by inanity
michaelak

Alaska

An amazing beer, one that I return to happily when it is available. One beer is a party! The opening smell is an enormous lush bouquet of fruit, sharp hops and a swelling alcohol undercurrent. The first taste is overwhelming apricot, sharp hoppy and most of all an incredibly fine carbonation that swells into a mass of taste and the sense of liquid silk.

This beer has a huge mouth-presence, impeccably smooth and with the under current of alcohol sharpening the taste. The finish is the weakest point; there is a dry feeling (likely the high alcohol) and a slight taste of reediness.

The Great News is, that after a few heavenly sips, there is no care for endings, you are totally in love.

One of my favourite all-time beers!

05-30-2013 02:26:03 | More by michaelak

Tennessee

06-08-2014 18:05:23 | More by alotofcoffee
IntriqKen

Oh my.
Quickly before I pass out from pure pleasure, let me try to get my thoughts down.
Pours a dark amber with reddish gold highlights and a small white head that almost disappears completely...but not quite, leaving a ring of lace.
Aroma is (surprise!)...citrus hops but with a touch of caramel an medicinal alcohol.
Taste is very hard to describe. I mean, I can say sugary dark malt, bitter, grapefruit hops, followed and almost buried with strong alcohol, but while those are the tastes I interpet, they are not all that is there...not by any means. Maybe it is just the combination that changes them to so much more than merely the individual sensations they are. I don't know. I only know, I really like it.
This indeed may be my very favorite Stone Brew of all time.
Oh yeah....and the ABV in this one kicks butt...at least it kicks mine...much more than other brews much higher in ABV.
---
Enjoying another bottle of this, I decided to return to my review to see if I had missed anything in the past.
This is still my definite go to beer when the night has wound down and I'm looking for something strong to finish it off. More than that, it is my go to beer when the evening of drinking has left me wanting....an evening of drain pours...an evening of finding nothing that 'satisfies me', pleases me, finishes it for me. I can return to Double Bastard and have never, ever, been disappointed.
The perfect nightcap...the perfect finish...the perfect fill for what I've missed in the past.
Great beer>?
Maybe not.
But dependable satisfaction and extreme pleasure for me.
Yep.
I'm changing my rating from a 4.9 to a 5 simply because this may be the only beer that has never disappointed me.
... I'm also going to the store tomorrow to buy whatever they may have left of this liquid pleasure.

11-03-2006 04:33:37 | More by IntriqKen
porterguy41

12-25-2011 00:15:01 | More by porterguy41
dylancraver

01-25-2012 06:13:43 | More by dylancraver
zachthelaxer93

07-13-2014 20:30:38 | More by zachthelaxer93
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.