2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Reviews: 1959

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,052 | Reviews: 1,959 | Show All Ratings:
scottum

Vermont

This may just be the best damn beer this side of...

...anywhere.

Sooooo gooooooood!!!!!!

This beer is of special character. It is good and it knows it. A bit of a strong smoked fruity bite to it mellowing into a nice hearty roll down your throat smile. Pours dark brown with an offwhite head. It feels so good sliding down to the belly. Mmmmmm mmmmmmmm.

I think I'll buy one of those 3 liter bottles for a special occurance.

Any thoughts on how this beer will be given some time to rest? If only I could find some more!!!!!!

01-26-2003 05:57:13 | More by scottum
RoyalT

Preparation – I popped an Arrogant Bastard for comparison purposes and thought it might be interesting to do the review in this manner. Not only is this my 400th review, but it’s also my 39th birthday. Cheers!

Appearance – This came out a beautiful brown, lighter than the Arrogant Bastard but with a bigger head. I knew after a few minutes that it was not going down for a while, so I left it for five minutes or so.

Smell – The sharp, complex hops come out slowly and very tight. I left it again to warm a bit and came back to a smack on the olfactory bulb. The toasted malt balance is there as well, but this is all about the awesome Stone hops.

Taste – This has a little bit more malt balance than the Arrogant Bastard. Otherwise, it is surprisingly similar. It seems a bit more refined, though. The extraordinary complexity of the hops is astounding. Every type you can think of sends a delegate to this gathering of electives.

The malts have to be huge just to get noticed, and they are. There’s actually some sweetness to this one, mostly caramel and table sugar.

Mouthfeel – Full-bodied and bitter, but with a touch of offsetting caramel on the cheeks. This ale is smooth, smooth, smooth. Not a hint of alcohol that I could pick up. Unbelievable!

Drinkability – What makes the Arrogant Bastard a shade from perfect, IMHO, is the lack of refinement and harmony of flavors (which could probably be relegated with a little cellaring). The DB has it all, and IMO can not be improved.

Update – The 2005s just came out (11/10/05) so I culled one out of the cellar box before tucking it away. It’s tight and not opened up yet, but man the hops are raging and the malts are in full effect. I put my ‘04s away for two years but I think this vintage will be best after just 1 year in the cellar.

11-18-2003 02:33:06 | More by RoyalT
Dmann

This is truly a beer I could live off of. The beer is a stunning dark amber color with about a half inch thick dense head that lasted till the last drop. I just love the smell of this beer. It's smell is obveously familliar to Arrogant Bastard but the harsh hop and pine scents are tamed down quite a bit, and replaced by a much maltier scent. The flavour is perfect. It starts out with a huge hop kick and then settles into a nice carmel flavor with a slight bittersweet aftertaste. The taste of pine is there too, but not nearly as much as Arrogant Bastard. As the beer warms, the hop bite becomes more subtle and the warming alchohol and malt flavors come out much more. This is a beer that I could drink any time, but I dont know if my liver could handle it! Highly recommended.

11-29-2003 09:52:51 | More by Dmann
tavernjef

Wowee, wow, wow, what a fantastic beer! The beer Gods from Stone have bestowed this upon us for a reason, because to know heaven you must pass through hell! This is pure pleasure and make no mistake you will pay by nights end. Pours a deep firey tawny amber brown, settles a bit darker in the chalice glowing of newly created lava from the earths crust as it procedes to grow a tall, firmly thickened, whipped froth of tannish wonder. Fades ever so slowly like a dieing fire to a thin ring and a hazy skim across the liquid leaving massive sticking amounts of webby laced sheets. Aroma appears stronger then smoke, more like heat from an oven with mounting sweet caramel, lightly burnt, darkened tropical passion fruits, earthy crispness of deep woods pineyness. Malts are king in this world of aroma, ruling with a mighty pitch fork that pokes at the hops as if to say "Ha, ha... Try to take my throne you measly weed". Taste is where it leads you down the path of whats about to become a head full of everything thats tempting. Complexing malts are forest fire big, tons of great semi sweet caramel, thick and thicker yet, flowing in and out of scorched and deeply ripe dark fruityness, pineapple, mango, plum, and raisins bursting within with a light burntness touching everything. Its calmingly smooth and far to creamy for such a fire to burn, but yet it does, and it builds with a wind of hops thats burning up brush of small dwindling pine, dried leaves, and wood. Incredibly balanced bitterness is deep and crackly over the musculature of the big boned skeleton of malts. Alcohol never makes its presense felt til it finds its way to the head where it smokes out any notions of all before it. You remember liking this thing you enjoyed the next day but are now lurking around like a zombie wondering how in the hell did I survive such a dance with the flames of a devil. F*cking great stuff!! Can't wait to dance again with this dark nectar, but not any time soon, as not to become a devils second hand. I hopefully have learned my lesson. Why did they have to put this in a bomber? Much like a devil its always tempting you to take more.

12-01-2003 21:39:02 | More by tavernjef
taez555

This beer poured a dark brown ruby red body with a small tan head.

The nose was a dark, sweet malt smell. Soft citrus tones. Sweet and actually a little fruity. A slight touch of bread and biscuit even.

This beer was very thick and fully bodied. Lots of dark malts, with big juicy fruit with a strong citrus hop taste. It basically starts off very juicy, almost like an apple. It then proceeds into this dark malt taste, and then... it's followed by a huge, very loose, centennial type high alpha acid hop taste. Smooth and very present, but really all over the place hop wise.

Overall I was really impressed by this beer. I'm sure the description doesn't do it justice. I've never been a big fan of the arrogant bastard. I can admire it, but it just seems like all the flavors are stuck together as if it's coal being pressed into a diamond. This though.... The flavors are all there, it's very drinkable, and just very tasty. A superb beer, my new favorite from Stone.

12-13-2003 10:27:37 | More by taez555
Stingray5

Finally the elusive Double Bastard is in hand. Pours a deep gold with red highlights, huge, foamy tan head. Exceptional aroma. Subdued sweetness in the aroma, with hints of hop bitterness. As it warms, pineapple. Creamy mouthful, this is much smoother than I remember the (single) Bastard being. While hoppy in taste, this bastard reckons itself a barleywine. Big sweet malt presence, dark fruit, grape, hints of red wine. The hops give a wake up call in the finish, with a nice touch of alcohol burn to liven things up. Not overbearing by any means.

I find this even more drinkable and enjoyable than standard Arrogant Bastard. Stone has done it again. Great success!

12-08-2004 03:24:47 | More by Stingray5
sagito327

Honestly, without question the best beer I've ever tasted, and I can find not a single flaw. Bought a pint sized bottle from Marty's liquors on Harvard ave. Pours a brown color with a beautiful white head that retains throughout. Lacing is perfect. Smells of fruit, pineapple maybe? Taste is perfection at its most perfectionist. Fruit, hops, and others which my palate cannot pick out. The entire palate tingles. I could drink these all day, or until I passed out.

07-25-2005 05:08:23 | More by sagito327
unclederby

Oregon

This years version.

This baby smells like candy...

Poured into my oversized wine glass a clear amber with with a nice fluffy 3/4 inch head which didn't stay around long but left sticky lacing on the glass. Some carbonation in the body but mostly all the activity was up top. Beautiful.
A really large bouqet: tons of malt, estery qualities, caramel, pine, alcohol, and biscuity... really just so much going on that it tickles the nose.
The taste really lives up to the promise in the bouquet. This is just one flavorful monster. Sweet and malty backbone, with notes of currant, oak, vanilla and a good blast of hops on the finish, which serve to give it excellent balance. Alcohol is perceptible for sure, but it is very well integrated and never really dominates.
This brew has plenty of body. Resiny, creamy and slick, it's a strong ale (barleywine?) that leaves nothing to be desired.
I'm not sure how much of this i could drink in one sitting, but i know i could drink a bomber a day it's so damn good.
Worth every penny of the $4.99 i paid for the 22oz. and i most certainly will go in for a case of this stuff.
I would give it a perfect score if not for my murky interpretation of "drinkibilty". On second thought, screw it - it's not meant for sessioning anyway...

caution: it taste so damn good but it will kick your ass. for real.

11-25-2005 01:11:33 | More by unclederby
IntriqKen

Oh my.
Quickly before I pass out from pure pleasure, let me try to get my thoughts down.
Pours a dark amber with reddish gold highlights and a small white head that almost disappears completely...but not quite, leaving a ring of lace.
Aroma is (surprise!)...citrus hops but with a touch of caramel an medicinal alcohol.
Taste is very hard to describe. I mean, I can say sugary dark malt, bitter, grapefruit hops, followed and almost buried with strong alcohol, but while those are the tastes I interpet, they are not all that is there...not by any means. Maybe it is just the combination that changes them to so much more than merely the individual sensations they are. I don't know. I only know, I really like it.
This indeed may be my very favorite Stone Brew of all time.
Oh yeah....and the ABV in this one kicks butt...at least it kicks mine...much more than other brews much higher in ABV.
---
Enjoying another bottle of this, I decided to return to my review to see if I had missed anything in the past.
This is still my definite go to beer when the night has wound down and I'm looking for something strong to finish it off. More than that, it is my go to beer when the evening of drinking has left me wanting....an evening of drain pours...an evening of finding nothing that 'satisfies me', pleases me, finishes it for me. I can return to Double Bastard and have never, ever, been disappointed.
The perfect nightcap...the perfect finish...the perfect fill for what I've missed in the past.
Great beer>?
Maybe not.
But dependable satisfaction and extreme pleasure for me.
Yep.
I'm changing my rating from a 4.9 to a 5 simply because this may be the only beer that has never disappointed me.
... I'm also going to the store tomorrow to buy whatever they may have left of this liquid pleasure.

11-03-2006 04:33:37 | More by IntriqKen
doppelmeup

I have to admit that after having the Arrogant Bastard, which I didn't really care for, I wasn't sure that I would like the Double Bastard, as I have never considered myself a real hop-head.

Well, many thanks to Matt at the beer store for talking me into trying this gem. It's only the second all 5 review I've given.

This poured a gorgeous garnet color into a chalice. Great, creamy and sticky lace which lasted forever. Huge aromas of hops and malts. Incredible hop flavor balanced by incredible malt flavor. And the ABV was so well hidden that I couldn't even taste it! This went down easier than probably any beer I've head

A truly great beer. Don't pass this by. You'll love it even if you, like me, aren't a hophead!

01-12-2007 16:49:57 | More by doppelmeup
becktone

Well I chose a hell of a day to do a vertical tasting of 2 year old (2004) Double Bastard with a fresh 2006 one. Been meaning to do this for a while but...well, today is a good day. Finals are over, and it is impressively cool for the month of June here in Cincinnati. Should be much easier to drink with this cool weather today. I don't think that it'd go down too well were it scorching hot.

2006 Eye:Clear copper in color with nice foamy creamy head. Lacing is excellent, and retention is also excellent.
2004 Eye: Color is almost identical with this one having a bit more of a reddish orange hue added to the copper color. It is also cloudy, not close to being clear. Lacing is nice, but head retention isn't all that great, could be the glass though-its been through the dishwasher a few times, what can you do? I usually only review through my specific glass.

2006Nose: Strong malt aroma, evident alcohol with a bit of warming alcohol there as well. As it warms a bit some light hop aromas are starting to come through.
2004Nose: Much the same as the 2007, however more sherry like, alcohol is much more evident, much more potent and stronger than the 2007. Strongly malt focused aroma, some chocolate aromas seem to be there. Reminds me much of SN Bigfoot after a year of cellaring.

2006 Tongue: Hot Damn! I'll admit this is the first time I've had Double Bastard, and after the first sip I'm already in love. What a wash of hops! It was a huge surprise. Didn't expect to be hit in the face with hop flavor and bitterness when it is not evident in the aroma. Floral hops dominate the flavor leaving little room for malt flavor. Alcohol is also there.
2004 Tongue: Much more relaxed. Malt oriented. Aging has taken the hop kick out of this brew. Definite roasted and burnt grain flavors. Not nearly as bitter as the 06. Alcohol is also more upfront, not nearly as neatly hidden, the overwhelming hops of fresh Double Bastard hid the alcohol pretty well, but here it is way out in the open. Sherry like in flavor from oxidation, again reminds me how Bigfoot aged over a year. I have to say that I prefer it fresh, I am however, a hop head. There is still a little hop bitterness right there at the end that is detectable but it quickly fades.

2006 Mouthfeel and Drinkability:Definitely one to sip. Try to guzzle this and I think you might find yourself gagging. Hops are so strong that at first I almost gagged because I wasn't expecting it to be so bitter-dumb me! I forgot all about Arrogant Bastard and Stone....no hops what the hell was I thinking? Didn't get it in the aroma so hey...-Heavy body-thick in the mouth like watery syrup-with light fine carbonation, however it is less than the carbonation of the 2004 vintage. This is a brew that I could sit and drink for a few hours, however, after one or two bombers I think that things might just get out of hand. This is the best beer from Stone that I've ever had, I will always buy this brew, it is that good. The Bastard has set me Free.
2004 Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Pretty heavy in body and with light fine carbonation, warms as it goes down. Thank God its not steaming hot otherwise I don't think I'd be able to drink the 3 Liter bottle Ive got. In my opinion I prefer it fresh, but perhaps one year would be nice when there is more of a balance between hops, malts, and alcohol. Still good though, I mean you can't buy it so.... Really three years of aging has changed this into a completely different beer. In a blind test you might be able to tell that it has been aged, but the same beer, I'm not quite sure.

God, going between these two is hell, as soon as I get used to one I reach for the other and find something completely different. I recommend Double Bastard uncellared and fresh....I will be drunk soon, just finishing this bomber and then the first glass of the cellared might just do it, 10%abv, damn who wouldn't be after a few glasses of this?

06-04-2007 22:46:16 | More by becktone
patobandito

New Mexico

I don't even know how to begin. This is beyond my meager capabilities to review. Amazing Beer.

Pours a deep brown with a thin head and moderate lacing. Smells a bit hoppy but heavy malt. Earthy, sweet smell. Taste is indescribable but I am going to try. Earthy malts dominate the first impression followed by a perfect amount of bitter hops and pine flavor to balance this beer exquisitely.

This beer is not for the faint of heart. Its definitely a strong motha of a brew. Best decision I have made at the liquor store this year. Almost wanted to weep when I drank the last drop.

12-23-2008 23:15:48 | More by patobandito
MVotter

Smell from the top of the freshly opened bottle - pine

This one was poured from a 22 oz. bomber with the familiar, incredible artwork adorning the bottle.

Nice, thick sounding pour down the middle of a pils glass features an exploding, quick rising cream/tan head. The head settles back to two fingers within a few minutes. The brew is a slightly foggy, deep amber.

Smell from the glass - very interesting combination of hops and malts ... smelling sweet malts here!

Taste - um, holy crap. Hops for sure, but not bitter ... the smoothest tasting hop flavor greets you in the beginning, then the malts make an entrance, and it's sheer joy; a party on your palate. It's paired with such a delicious blend of malts ... the balance is stunning. Really.

The mouthfeel is thick, silky ... silky ... silky. Did I mention that the mouth is silky?

Drinkability. Well, pace yourself ... don't be a fooo! Relish this brew ... don't think you're entering into this relationship without any responsibility. Relax. Enjoy. Savor, every ounce.

This brew lives up to its billing. It's creation is the result of the tender care of true artisans.

The only other brew that I have rated at "perfection" is Ommegang's Abbey Ale.

I understand that a perfect score is reserved for truly exceptional brews. Well, I can see no good reason to deny this one a perfect score. And, I believe that the truly exceptional brews should be recognized as such, and duly rewarded.

Bravo!

03-01-2009 04:42:39 | More by MVotter
cavedave

HEY! Pssst. Yes, Stone Double Bastard! I have given this brew the highest rating.

It pours an incredibly thick ruby amber. I hold it to the light. This beer is alive. Fifty degrees and it breathes in my glass. My nose is no where near the glass, but its aroma has found me since I opened the bottle.

The nose is alcohol wrapped through the finest malts' best preserved fragrances. It infiltrates the senses with a morphing mix of intoxicating aroma. It finds the deepest recesses of the nose and tongue. I can taste it in my eyes.

The first sip. WOW! It jolts a massive blast of malt, the finest malt, you know it right away, its full range of tones, that flavor which changes as it runs into the finish, running through bread, caramel, alcohol, through herbal ecstacy, and crests into a wave of balanced bitterness, a swirl of citrus, herbs, alcohol, earth, an amazing mix.

The alcohol is massive in DB. Usually I rate less well if I get a large alcohol presence, especially in strong ales, I'm an English style old ale lover. But here the craft of the brewer is magnificent, the vapor of it sends the swirling milieu of flavor perfectly into a river of changing delight, climaxing in an incredibly long finish that lingers until the next sip, be that sip ten minutes later. It is an achievement, a masterpiece, I can't give higher praise for this champion, imho, of this style. I hope to taste a better one than this, but I doubt I will.

03-22-2009 18:18:12 | More by cavedave
jrodvog148

Sweden

A beer well worth the wait. Anything you read about this beer is true and a sound purchase if you can find it. It is becoming more and more available then it used to be and from what I learned from a Stone Brewing rep that they ship it out in the fall time. This might have changed since then. Found it at the Canal's in Hamilton Square off of rt 130.

03-28-2009 17:38:31 | More by jrodvog148
DeathbySexyBT

This truly is the pinnacle of brewing perfection. There are no words to describe just how sad I was that this was not approved for retail sale in Texas. You will not taste a beer better than this...ever.

A: Reddish brown. Almost rust-like, but with more of a gemstone glow. Eggshell colored bubbles that seem to cycle through the glass. Perfect lacing.

S: Spicy caramel. Some Citrus. Alcohol. Heaven.

T: Is there a word for 'smoother than smooth?' I would start by saying that this is a truly robust beer that requires multiple tastings as you will discover new layers of complexity. Some of the random ones I have discovered include caramelized sugar, pineapple, and hops.

M: The alcohol creates a very high warming factor. Dry and bready, but still very smooth.

D: Take water. I want this to fill the ocean!

Served: Trappist glass.

07-15-2009 17:51:30 | More by DeathbySexyBT
TheFlern

Idaho

Holly ***t!!!!

Appearance: It poured a dark amber with plenty of head and amazing retention.

Smell: Spicey, malty, hoppy and balanced in Godly proportions.

Taste: Spicey with malt and hoppy flavors following. This beer is a mixture of IPA, Stout and others. It is definitely a balanced and heavy beer. The weak should just avoid this brew.

Mouthfeel: Totally amazing! Its nice and syrupy with hop flavor to balance it out. Its like taking a bite into a nice dinner, very delicious.

Drinkability: I drank 22oz in like 10 minutes and I only wish I had more time. I would glady drink this all day on a lazy summer weekend.

09-19-2009 08:03:50 | More by TheFlern
Mosstrooper

2008 release poured from 22oz bottle into Macado's "Halloween 2009" branded American pint glass.

Appearance: Dark and hazy caramel/amber color with a small brown head that stays for a long time and leaves behind substantial lacing.

Smell: Grapefruit over sweet, buttery malt aromas and floral hops. Also has a hint of sweet tea.

Taste: Bitter all the way- starts toasty and a bit buttery, finishing with a powerful, yet balanced, earthy and herbal bitterness. Notes of sour alcohol and a lingering bitter aftertaste. Hints of sweet tea and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and chewy body with a slight, natural carbonation hint. Dryer finish with warming alcohol. Oh so smooth.

Drinkability: What can I say- this beer is outstanding. The best I've had. Simply the greatest. There is none better.

Wow.

11-17-2009 21:42:28 | More by Mosstrooper
dpjosuns

I had this exceptional brew on draft at a recent tasting/release at my favorite bar here in Ann Arbor.

A- A very pronounced Amber color. It actually appears to be a bit lighter (in color) than the Arrogant Bastard.

S- This is the first punch in the mouth. Naturally, the first aroma that hits you is the hops and boy is it a hit. After the initial hop aroma there is plenty of citrus, but not in a bitter way, the hops take care of that. It almost seems more like a ripe orange or perhaps pineapple, rather than lemon.

T- This is the 2 of the 1-2 punch this brew hits you with. The taste is out of this world. It has the huge hop taste and flavor of an Imperial IPA with more sweetened malt balance. This is one that can be savored. I really like that it is big and heavy like an Imperial, but with amazing balance.

M- The feel is obviously malty. It is nice and smooth. With some beers of this gravity, I feel they can have a tendency leave an almost abrasive feel in your mouth, but this does not occur here.

D- I love drinking this beer. It has a great aftertaste that stays with you, while still enticing your for more.

01-28-2010 15:49:08 | More by dpjosuns
Mvega909

Bought the last of the 22oz bombers from a local grocery chain the other day, boy was I happy to finally find a place with these still in stock. The smell of this beer is exactly what the title implies, a double arrogant bastard. Once youve taken the first sip though is where all comparisons stop.
This beer has a flavor profile that original bastard couldnt even come close to touching. You are first greeted with sweet malt/caramel flavors followed by an EXTREMELY well balanced hoppy finish which almost has a sweet whisky like aftertaste. The mouthfeel of this beer is near perfection, not to carbonated and the silky smooth thickness that ive come to love in Stone brews. I don't get how someone could put this beer down, it is a perfectly balanced roller coaster of flavors. If you see one buy it before I do.

04-07-2010 20:38:14 | More by Mvega909
flavorshark

I feel it would be ungrateful to spare my sincere if uninformed homage to this life-altering drink.

The scent is unspeakable, the taste bitter up front followed by a complex body I won't try to describe. The 2010 release is 11.2% ABV, increased from last year. Feels like the mating dance of two squirrels made of hops on my pallet. Drinking from a small 6 oz. flared glass, anything larger would be excessive. It will be a while before I finish.

This beer is an event in itself.

11-26-2010 20:38:06 | More by flavorshark
spitInTheOcean

amber copper color. tan/ golden head. good retention. good lacing. crystal clear. i dont know how this beer could look and better.

hops are immediately apparent in the bouquet. citrus aroma. floral aroma. malty sweetness is also very strong. caramel and toffee. and a faint aroma of alcohol. basically the beer smells like its going to taste huge. very nice balance in the aroma between hops and malts.

sweetness from the malts immediately apparent along with warmth of the alcohol. finish is bitter bitter bitter. and FULL of hop flavors of citrus and grass clippings. i dont think that this beer has aged any, the bottle says 2011, but i seem to taste sherry. overall the flavor is just big. balanced and not lacking in anything. the middle is sweet and bitter at the same time. hoppy and malty at the same time.

thick and syrupy. big mouthfeel. soft carbonation.

yea this beer is about perfect. i dont know what else to say. definitely one to keep about twenty of in the cellar.

12-16-2011 03:44:49 | More by spitInTheOcean
derekmorris7

Over the top awesome beer. Little dark caramel color with a nice beige head. Smells sweet with a slight malty note. The taste is perfect, sweet caramel with the not to over powering hop taste. Great beer.

You can taste and feel the high abv but it's a great part of it. Will buy again and again.

01-13-2012 00:50:26 | More by derekmorris7
CommanderOfAwesome

2012 poured from 22 oz into a snifter. This is one of my favorite beers, and the beer that GOT me into craft beer. I've had it many times and not sure I'm rational about it.

A: Pours a Deep Amber. Able to see it through it, but it looks glorious. Slightly cloudy with little head.

S: I think I can smell this across the room. Very strong sweet dark fruits, getting cherries, and a strong booze smell.

T: Ohhh the taste. Close to perfection in a non stout that you can get. Sweet but slams with the bitter at the end. Some brown sugar and caramel in there as well if you dare to let it sit on your tongue.

M: Sticky, andfull bodied. This year's is very boozy and I will let my other bottles sit a bit to calm down...

O: I love this beer. Its fantastic and a must try.

11-01-2012 02:07:57 | More by CommanderOfAwesome
Chadhowie

Double bastard literally doubles itself on multiple levels. It's not that it's a "better" beer than the original, just bolder and stronger. So it really comes down to preference. I personally love it and wish I could get it where I live. But I'll take getting it when I can until that changes.

01-17-2013 22:26:44 | More by Chadhowie
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.