Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros

An amazing beer, one that I return to happily when it is available. One beer is a party! The opening smell is an enormous lush bouquet of fruit, sharp hops and a swelling alcohol undercurrent. The first taste is overwhelming apricot, sharp hoppy and most of all an incredibly fine carbonation that swells into a mass of taste and the sense of liquid silk.

This beer has a huge mouth-presence, impeccably smooth and with the under current of alcohol sharpening the taste. The finish is the weakest point; there is a dry feeling (likely the high alcohol) and a slight taste of reediness.

The Great News is, that after a few heavenly sips, there is no care for endings, you are totally in love.

One of my favourite all-time beers!

Oh my.
Quickly before I pass out from pure pleasure, let me try to get my thoughts down.
Pours a dark amber with reddish gold highlights and a small white head that almost disappears completely...but not quite, leaving a ring of lace.
Aroma is (surprise!)...citrus hops but with a touch of caramel an medicinal alcohol.
Taste is very hard to describe. I mean, I can say sugary dark malt, bitter, grapefruit hops, followed and almost buried with strong alcohol, but while those are the tastes I interpet, they are not all that is there...not by any means. Maybe it is just the combination that changes them to so much more than merely the individual sensations they are. I don't know. I only know, I really like it.
This indeed may be my very favorite Stone Brew of all time.
Oh yeah....and the ABV in this one kicks butt...at least it kicks mine...much more than other brews much higher in ABV.
---
Enjoying another bottle of this, I decided to return to my review to see if I had missed anything in the past.
This is still my definite go to beer when the night has wound down and I'm looking for something strong to finish it off. More than that, it is my go to beer when the evening of drinking has left me wanting....an evening of drain pours...an evening of finding nothing that 'satisfies me', pleases me, finishes it for me. I can return to Double Bastard and have never, ever, been disappointed.
The perfect nightcap...the perfect finish...the perfect fill for what I've missed in the past.
Great beer>?
Maybe not.
But dependable satisfaction and extreme pleasure for me.
Yep.
I'm changing my rating from a 4.9 to a 5 simply because this may be the only beer that has never disappointed me.
... I'm also going to the store tomorrow to buy whatever they may have left of this liquid pleasure.

Finally the elusive Double Bastard is in hand. Pours a deep gold with red highlights, huge, foamy tan head. Exceptional aroma. Subdued sweetness in the aroma, with hints of hop bitterness. As it warms, pineapple. Creamy mouthful, this is much smoother than I remember the (single) Bastard being. While hoppy in taste, this bastard reckons itself a barleywine. Big sweet malt presence, dark fruit, grape, hints of red wine. The hops give a wake up call in the finish, with a nice touch of alcohol burn to liven things up. Not overbearing by any means.

I find this even more drinkable and enjoyable than standard Arrogant Bastard. Stone has done it again. Great success!

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.