Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,041 | Hads: 6,356
3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

A - it poured a cloudy deep mber/ copper color. It didnt have much of a head but what it did have, it laced up nicely.

S - Strong everything. There was an abundance of floral, citrus hops in the nose, with the heavy sweetness of malt brining up the rear.

T - Its an all-around collision of flavors going on here. The thing is that they were all balanced very nicely.

M - Heavy and smoth, There was no slickness, or an overly strong carbination bite going on. it was nice.

D - For the style it is an excellent example. But one of these a night is enough for me. (574 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Picked up a bomber of this stuff today. Pours a nice dark copper, more of a hazy brown with a decent head and decent lacing that lasts the whole beer. Has a very complex aroma to it, plenty malt, spices and a little bit of fruit. As for the taste Wow. This beer with throw you off all four walls. Very intence taste with hints of spices, malts, citrus and fruits send you for a ride. At 10.5, this beer will also send you for a ride. The folks at Stone have sure done it again with another great beer. This is a must try for any beer connoisseur. (546 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12%

22oz bottle (2008 release) poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a hazy, murky amber brown with a finger of dense cream colored head. Pretty good staying power on the foam slowly fading to leave nice lacing on the glass and a thick collar with a few islands remaining on the surface.

S - Malty, caramel, toffee and molasses at the base. An overall fruitiness with some citrusy hops and some cut grass.

T - Strong, reminiscent of a barley wine. Strong malt underpinnings with tons of caramel and molasses in the flavor. Plenty of hops that tries to balance things out. Sharply bitter in the middle, but can't overpower the sugary, syrupy maltiness that is the base. Alcohol is noticeable in the flavor.

M - Pretty thick and full bodied. Carbonation is medium overall, but feels a bit high for the style. Sweet malt with heavy caramel and molasses notes coats the entire mouth.

D - Whoa, this one is hitting me hard. First "aged" DB I've had, typically drink these fresh, but found this on the shelf at a local store and had to give a try. Hops are there, but definitely faded over a fresh bottle. Alcohol is noticeable, and sweet, maltiness is a bit overpowering. This is a serious sipper for me. (1,200 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12%

This pours medium amber with a small head rising and falling quickly. On the nose there is a long note of acetone and booze riding roughshod over caramel malts and pine. I have no problem with big booze notes in big beers, but to me this seems less than well-integrated into the rest of the brew. In the mouth, the heat melds a bit better into the big caramel and sugary sweetness and the piney hops, which make a bigger statement in the mouth than on the nose. The body is medium full, sticky, well-carbonated, and there is a nice long finish of bitterness and heat as the caramel dies away first.

Overall, I didn't like this as much as I expected. Perhaps some time would allow the heat to integrate a bit better rather than riding over everything else. (756 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Huge light brown head, that lasts a long time. Aroma - heavy malt, dark bread, light hops, resin, and dough. Also allspice and pepper.Initial flavor is sweet and moderately acidic. Can really taste the alcohol. This was good, but not great. I have a few others that I'll keep for a year or so to see what happens. (313 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this beer on tap at a local craft beer store. Pours with nice tan colored head that lasts and has good lacing. beer is a brownish copper color. Has a nice aroma. Very strong taste of alcohol of coarse due to 11% content. Hops leave a bitter aftertaste lingering in your mouth. Overall a well brewed beer, but a little too bitter for my taste. (346 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

2005 edition from a 22 oz. bomber.

A - perfectly clear ruby. A small head forms with some assistance from a loud pour into my pint glass. Head quickly dissipates, leaving no brussels lace. By the time I'm almost done with this beer there is no head present whatsoever.

S - I'm smelling mainly malt here. Sugary, bready smells. Toasted malt evident. Some citrusy, resiny hop aroma in there, but malt comes through the most. Some vanilla notes as well. Not a whole lot of aroma considering the size of the beer.

T - this is a big beer. Sweet malt, toasty flavors hit the tongue first, but then here come the hops. Bitterness overwhelms the initial sweetness. Lots of hops. Not sure what these hops are, but I'd guess they are of the American NW variety - Cascade, Centennial, Mt. Hood, etc. Lots of citrusy, grassy, resiny hop flavor here. Then there are the alcohol flavors - some estery phenolics. The alcohol is not overwhelming, but definitely present. Lots of esters.

M - a medium to thick bodied beer. Sticks to your tongue a bit, but it's not all due to the syrupy malt - it feels like some is from the resiny hops. Low to medium low carbonation.

D - well, certainly a beer I will never turn down and will be happy to drink, but I don't think I could drink more than a couple of these in one night. It's a very big beer that will stay with you, plus there is the alcohol factor.

Overall - this is a very good beer, but I'm a little surprised about the high ratings. Basically this seems like a very good big American strong ale/barleywine. I had heard a lot about this beer, but I was a little let down. The alcohol and malty sweetness, combined with the huge amount of IBU's is almost a little cloying. When a beer is this big, I start wondering about what flaws the super-malt and hops content is covering up. (1,834 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

2008 bottle (1-2 yrs old)
Probably should have saved it longer, but when you need a beer you need a beer.

S: Caramel, toffee, crackers, grassy hops

A: Amber/brown w/light tan head. Decent lace but head dissipates quickly.

T: caramel, sweet malt mostly, mild booziness from mid to end of mouth. Some hops at the end, leaving a lasting bitter grassy finish.

M/D: Full good mouthfeel. Fairly sweet balanced by the hops. Pretty drinkable for abv.

Overall: This was ok. I remember it being better. With so much malt I almost wonder if the underlying style would be an imperial amber type. Come to think of it... it does resemble their Levitation amber somewhat.
I think I opened this bottle at the wrong time. Still a solid assertive yet drinkable beverage. (758 characters)

(Originally Reviewed 03/18/2010)

'Church Brew Works' pint glass

Appearance - deep amber, dirty carrot color. Want to say iron ore but it's too dark for that. Little to no head in the pour. What's left is tannish, apparently. Actually, from swirling the glass, a foam head has appeared that kinda reminds me of an orange rind in color - if that makes sense.

Smell - malts and hops in the immediate aroma. Swirling the glass I am picking up some grains. Sensing some grapefruit.

Taste - hops straight down the middle, a warm syrup beween the tongue and walls of my mouth. The hoppiness is exactly what you expect of stone. Finish/aftertase is bitter and dry.

Drinkability - good hops, nice aroma, medium to full body. Was expecting a little more but I'm having trouble finding it. I wasn't really blown away with the Double Bastard as opposed to the standard Arrogant Bastard (878 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a dark ruby red with a giant off-white head. The smell is fairly pungent from hops with a kick of centennial citrus, followed by sweet alcohol, maybe a bit estery. The taste is a bit bitter bu with a sweet, burnt alcohol taste. At times I get a bit of bready malts. It's fairly complex, but I keep tasting the burnt taste from alcohol, which might disguise some more pleasant flavors in the mouthfeel. This beer will more-or-less kick your ass but without leaving a black eye. A growler isn't a good idea without some help. (529 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

Popped open a 2006 vintage to celebrate the Sox winning the pennant. Poured it into a Belgian style snifter. Average sized head, and has a wonderful reddish brown color to it. It has a noticeable barleywine-like smell to it, with a maltiness that tingles the nose. The first sip was amazing, it was a lot smoother than I expected. I would compare this to a fine Old Ale. As it warmed up, it became even easier to drink, which was when I started to really notice the high alcohol content. This is a great beer to just sit back with, sip slowly, and enjoy. Another winner from Stone. (581 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.7%

The color out of the bottle is a glorious reddish-copper with a fizzy half-inch head. The aroma is bursting with hops, with notes of grapefruit and pine being most prominent. The flavor is likewise overflowing with hop bitterness, eliciting the feeling of eating a ripe grapefruit at a small table in the middle of a pine forest after a rainstorm. Not content to just be a hop bomb, though, this one also has a substantial malt backbone, with big flavors of caramel and toffee.

Nicely carbonated and having a texture that is oily but also somewhat creamy, it should go down smooth, but it is just overwhelming. Although the alcohol is certainly present and noticeable, especially as the beer warms, the booziness is not the biggest obstacle to drinkability. Rather, it is the combination of big hop bitterness, dense malt sweetness, and the high alcohol that just overloads the palate. I thought I liked big flavors as much as the next guy, but the abundance of everything packed into the Double Bastard is just too much. (1,023 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.7%

Nice deep red/burgandy color with a nice head about 1/2" think sitting on top. The head settles down to a fine fluff that laces the glass well. I am drinking this out of my Duvel tulip glass by the way...
The flavor is great. Sweet like pineapple, rich with that same smell that really nice double IPA's have. The smell reminds me of Dogfish 120. The taste is bold to say the least. Big hops blast my mouth bitter from the start, bitter til the end. The alcohol is covered up well with the resin-ating hop flavor. (that was sort of a play on words people, yeah, I know, I rule)
The hops are also floral at the end. Tiny hints of sweetness poke through but very slight amongst the hoppy blast. Maybe a little too hoppy... The mouthfeel is that of a strong, dry hopped IPA. Dry, and crisp. This beer is very strong, but unlike several balanced hopped beers, the extreme flavor reminds you that its strong. (906 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.7%

Decent looking beer. Nothing special. Crystal clear, nice deep red mahogony color. Small but relatively persistant head.

Nose is very nice. Very full. I get some deep caramel and alcohol notes and definately big brashy hops.

Wow. Very big tasting beer. Extremely bitter. Extremely. Like fresh Old Crusty bitter. Leaves my mouth all taught and upset. Some nice malt notes too, caramel most prominently, but really can't hold a candle to the bitterness...really really bitter. And its a harsh bitter too. These ain't no low cohumulone hops. I've heard Stone loves the Chinook and I imagine that's what this is. Maybe I'd celler this for a year or two in an attempt to tame the hops a tad. This is pretty much straight off the truck...arrived I think in Indiana November 1st or so.

With the fairly strong alcohol and ridiculously bitter harsh hops in the finish....its definately not smooth.

Mouthfeel is decent. Thick but not creamy. Definately thicker than thin however.

Not very drinkable. Last year I barely managed to finish a whole bomber. This bitterness is just unreal. (1,093 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -12.9%

A-dark murky brown with a nice light tan head, good lacing that stays

S-a little bit of brown sugar and nice citrusy hops. not very strong though.

T-come in with a very bitter and strong hit of molasses and ends with some really good citrusy hops. there's a strong bitterness that stays. there's a slight alcohol burn in there towards the end.

M-a good medium carbonation with a slightly dry finish

D-well its a heavy beer, the ABV is noticeable, but its a very enjoyable beer all the way through. if i wasn't leaving this bar right now, i would have another. i liked this a lot and was very lucky to find this on tap. (622 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

A - nice ruby color and a nice off white, creamy head

S - strong aroma of alcohol, there is some honey smell and some candy smell

T - very malty, caramely, some leathery tastes, and the alcohol really comes through on the finish with some of the bitterness

M - very think and smooth good

D - the strong alcohol component on the finish hurts the drinkablity (360 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured a dark chestnut like color with tons of red stains mixed in. There was yellow like head typical of some of the stronger barley-wines and Old Ales (Big Foot). Smell was huge with notes of juicy fruits, esters a plenty, big hops and a blackstrap mollassas sweetness. Taste started off with more sweetness and moved to a big alcohol kick with the hops there, but the malts doing a lot of the work for once in a Stone beer. I feel that the alcohol was too brash for now and luckily I have another bottle of this, which I will keep in the cellar for at least another 2 years. (577 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Perhaps I would have enjoyed this beer more if I hadn't had it right after the 10th Anniversary DIPA. For that matter, I wonder if Stone has tweaked the recipe over the years, as I've found this beer far more appealing in the past then I did at Frisco's last night.

The beer pours a darkish amber color with very good head retention and lacing. The beer looks quite impressive. On the nose I get sweet malt, cider and roasted nuts. Again, this beer smells very impressive, although the high abv. is noticeable even on the nose. On the palate the beer is sweet, rich and very alcholic, but with a drying hop burn in the finish. The beer is impressive, but frankly I don't feel as if the high abv. blends in all that well with the very sweet malt and hoppiness. I found the beer somewhat tiring on the palate, with this beer coming across as a sweet, but then ultimately very hoppy, barleywine.

The beer is very warming and, while impressive, is just not all that enjoyable. In the same style I much prefer the Bigfoot, where the sweet malt has been dialed down a tad. A good beer, but not what I would call terrific. (1,118 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a 1 pt. 6fl. Oz. bomber into my sparklingly clean Duvel tulip. Color is deep and rich and the head laces pretty well whilst fading away to a little bit o film that spits out nice hop character. Smell is piny, sticky, citrusy and boozy. Taste is about the same, but a tipped toward the booze which brings it down a notch. Same w/drinkability. (353 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

I usually like Stone, and this was no exception.
However, this beer is a league of its own, don't let the label fool you.

Poured into two tumblers, was a clear vivid orangish red with a mess of carbonation, not more than a finger head.

Smelled very spicy, very hoppy.

Taste was very much alcohol, a bit of pear and spice, a bit sweet and syrupy.

Mouthfeel was average, alot of carbonation made this feel a bit odd.

Drinkability is average. I'll have another sometime. (472 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

22oz bomber poured into a goblet. 2008 edition. At this time last year, I couldn't find any of the 2007 in my neck of the woods. I guess times really are tough all around.

Side note: I don't see the point of classifying this as an American Strong Ale. I can see how it makes sense for Arrogant Bastard, which really doesn't fit into any other style classification. But as far as I'm concerned, this is indistinguishable from a barleywine. If there are any relevant differences, I am unable to detect them.

A: Dark brownish red. Hardly any head.

S: The malt and hops come together in a way that is almost reminiscent of chocolate.

T: In the past, the hoppiness has been a bit too harsh for me, so I decided to let it warm up more than I usually do in the hopes that it would calm down a bit. Doing so provided me with further ammunition for my "DB=barleywine" theory. It tasted pretty much the same as Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, but a bit worse. In fact, it became a bit of a chore to drink once I reached the second half of the bottle.

M: Acceptably thick without too much carbonation to get in the way.

D: I like Stone, but this just didn't work for me. In fact, it's kind of striking how OG manages to be both bigger and more drinkable. This is easily my least favorite of the Bastards. I haven't officially reviewed the other two yet, but I'd rank them as follows: Oaked, Arrogant, Double. Now, an Oaked Double Bastard...that's something I wouldn't mind checking out. (1,477 characters)

Bottled in 2006...

A: Brown-reddish hue with little head.

S: Spices along with a sugary sweetness.

T: Very similar to there barely wine (probably because its been aged a few years), but it also possess some sort of earthy and soil like flavor.

M: Good.

D: This is a pretty aggressive beer...not sure if I could have more then a bomber to myself.

Overall: Try it. (369 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Complex, but abrasive and disjointed. Liquid Jimi Hendrix. If you are into dissonance and the inter-play of edgy reverb on edgy reverb, then this beer is for you. IMO, this beer needs alot of time for any chance at sorting itself out.

Fresh 2005 release pours a half finger tan head over a mildly cloudy brown/rust-copper liquid. Smells lemony hops with supporting undertones of grapefruit pith and tangerine. Some caramel malt sweet and way beneath is alcohol. Taste is potent hops that make the malt seem like soured caramel. Hops are co-humulone rough and bitterness is high. The hop flavor is woody and dry. Oranges. Pine and pith. Malt is way beneath and comes across as powery caramel with a hint of nutty that borders on chocolate. The aftertaste is cottony with an alcoholic umph that further denegrates the malt flavor. With searching, I find an ester array, but I can't identify specifics under the brutality of the hops. As I drink further, the alcohol stands out much stronger and is really wearing. The hops are wearing, this beer is not enjoyable. Yes, I can see this beer as properly being classified as an ASA. It definitely needs aging. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy thick. A nice feature that is hard to concentrate on under the hops and alcohol, which are now coming across as cheap vodka poured into my beer. I've got a bottle of 2004 in my cellar and, based on my experience tonight, I won't open it for another couple years. (1,450 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -13.4%

2009 vintage. Served in globe glass.

Aroma- very lacking. cookies, bready, lots of caramel. toasty. subtle alc. very little hop aroma. where is the arrogant bastard times two?

App- clear red. tan foam breaks down. no lacing.

Taste- sweet caramel, cloying. some chocolate, raisin, citrus resin. piney and grapefruit. bready, burnt malt flavor. hops and malt clash. strong character, nothing new from stone but not well done.

Mouth- sweet, resin, lingering bitterness. med high carb.

Overall- gets better as it warms. good job from stone but not any better than expected. where is the AB character? (601 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -13.4%

A: Cloudy, red brown with a small, filmy head and no retention.

S: Caramel, light citrus, bread pudding and raisins

T: A chewy beer, walking a middle ground between Barleywine, IIPA, and Belgian Strong/Quad (in fruity character, not other esters). Lots of rich malts and moderate hop bitterness in the mid-palate, but not in the finish.

F: Heavy body, medium carbonation. Moderate linger.

O: One of those dangerously drinkable big beers. Not too sweet, not too bitter, just a hint of alcohol bite at the end. Goes down easily. (532 characters)

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.