2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Reviews: 1959

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,071 | Reviews: 1,959 | Show All Ratings:
ritzkiss

Ontario (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

22oz left here by bobsy - was going to wait until he came back to share his beer with him (nice guy that I am) but it was calling me from the fridge tonight and I had to obey its beck and call (not so nice guy that I am). I owe you one Rob! Bottle states 2009 release.

Pours a murky ass reddish hue with a finger of yellowish head which dies to a collar.

Piney and citric hops buffet your nostrils first and they are followed by a bold caramel biscuit malt. Bloatloads of hops and malt join together with almost vodka-ish fusel alcohol and a touch of roast to make one hell of nose.

This is the kind of beer that, rather than caressing you and pleasing you, bitch slaps you from the get go. This is a huge beer that drinks huge. Loads of caramel maltiness, slight fruitiness with a hint of spice and earth, a touch of cocoa, biscuit, raisins. This meets a truck full of citric and piney hops which provide a harsh bitterness in the finish, which coupled with the alcohol leaves a harsh parting gift. Creamy mouthfeel with just enough bubbles to cut the syrupy-ness.

This is barleywine meets the massive hop attack of an American Strong Ale. Hard to see this as drinkable though I imagine with some significant time in the cellar it might be. You can see the genius in the melding of such mass quantities of malt and hops but at this point it's still too rough, unbalanced and just plain ol' brutish for me.

05-27-2010 01:02:19 | More by ritzkiss
Tifore

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

On tap at Melt Bar & Grilled. Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a deep amber that is mainly orange in color, mahogany looking. Slightly hazy not so clear. Has a one finger off white head that leaves fair lacing and turns into a little ring around the glass.

S - Smells of booze and hops. Lots of alcohol comes first followed by grapefruit, orange and lemon zest, and some pine. Some light sweetness going on as well.

T - Tastes of booze first and foremost. Lots of dark fruits come after with a big burst of carmely malts. Very complex. I just wish the alcohol was toned down a tad so that the dark fruits would come through more.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty heavy. Medium amount of carbonation. Mouthfeel is nice for this beer. I enjoy this part the most out of the brew.

D - You definitely feel the alcohol percentage on this beer. One pint and I could feel it slightly but I will have a few more of this until the keg is tapped. I have a bottle here at home that I hope will age well over the next few months to a year.

12-03-2010 01:37:40 | More by Tifore
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.46/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Opened on 3.17.13
2011 3l swing-top bottle.

A - Pours a light hazy orange with an explosive off-white head. Great retention and streaks of lacing left on the glass.

S - A bit oxidized, and some strong sweet malts and older faded hops.

T - Just as the nose. A bit oxidized, but it really didn't take much away from the taste.

D - Tons of carbonation and a medium body.

O - Ok, the fun part was pouring the big boy bottle, but I don't think this is really the way to age a bottle.

03-20-2013 02:59:00 | More by HuskyinPDX
woodychandler

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

This poured with an off-tan head with decent retention. The color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was somewhat sweet and sugary. The mouthfeel was thick and full with an extremely sweet taste, like syrup. The finish left me licking my lips and thinking about the extreme sweetness that I had experienced throughout. I just could not get past how rich it seemed and that is not my bag.

02-18-2007 21:27:36 | More by woodychandler
Monsone

Reviewed from notes Oct '07
A - Reddish brown with a smallish head that left quickly.

S - Rich malty aromas. Lots of typical hop scents too, citrus pine etc.

T - Lots of hops and booze. Big. Sweet malt backbone tries to hold up to the hops and booze but fails.

M - Oily, syrupy with an alcohol burning effect.

D - Share this with many friends. I split this with one buddy and we sipped it for quite a while.

Not impressed with this beer. Just too hot and big. Didn't seem at all under control at all. Just big for the sake of being big.

12-28-2007 21:58:47 | More by Monsone
sitarist

2010 batch.

Pours a clear amber...one finger of loose white head falls to a thin ring that leaves a few spots of lacing.

Aromas of floral hops with hints of citrus, and pine....caramelized nuts, raisins, and rubbing alcohol are present as well. Its not bad...just needs refined a little, maybe some cellar time.

Hop syrup in a rubbing alcohol base...I taste pine cones, Dr. Pepper(yuck!), soy sauce, tree bark, raisins, and caramelized nuts...oh yeah rubbing alcohol.

The mouthfeel is pleasant...full bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. There is a peppery bite, but not much heat from the alcohol.

A sipper for sure. It reminds of of boilermakers or even flaming Dr. Peppers.

I love Stone, but God I hate Dr. Pepper!

11-25-2010 03:28:02 | More by sitarist
beertunes

Washington

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a semi-cloudy orangeish-mahogany with over an inch of light tan head that had good retention and lacing.

The aroma was mostly bitter hops with some sweet malt undertones. There was also a bit of yeasty spice hiding in there. On the tongue, alcohol was the dominant taste, followed by hops, malt and spice.

The body was pleasingly full, but a bit too sticky-sweet. Drinkability was good, but a little rough due to the alcohol taste.

Overall, a decent beer that's much better than the original AB. Certainly worth trying.

01-02-2011 06:15:50 | More by beertunes
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a snifter

A: A dark amber color with a dark tan head that almost matches. The transition in the glass from beer to froth is almost seamless, pretty impressive.

S: The aroma is expectedly hoppy with some hints of lemon and orange citrus.

T/M: Tastes predominantly hoppy from the beginning to end with bits of citrus barely noticeable and some nuttiness at the end that helps smooth out the bitterness.

If you’re in the mood for hops, just one of these should do you for a week. I really wasn’t at the time, so I’m set for a month.

06-21-2011 00:27:42 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
pmarlowe

District of Columbia

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Tulip glass. Fresh bottle from the 2011 release.

A: Pours clear dark amber with a half finger of greyish light khaki head, which dissipates pretty quickly and leaves a little lacing.

S: Sweetish toffee and caramel malt, a little floral, citrus, cherry and pomegranate notes. Some alcohol also.

T: Bitterness and some caramel. Bitterness throughout the entire sip, not just on the finish. A little abrasive.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation with bite. Alcohol is a little noticeable at the end.

O: Too bitter for the style. I've got to think this improves with some age, once the bitterness has mellowed out. Until then, this is a pretty difficult beer.

10-20-2011 05:25:53 | More by pmarlowe
TPSReports

Alabama

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured this 22oz bottle into a large goblet. It was served at 48 degrees.

A slight head formed, but quickly disappeared. No lacing.

The aroma has fruity and spicy with a nice hoppiness.

The first sip for firey and hoppy. The hoppiness seemed to disipate as the beer warmed slightly and my taste buds adjusted. To be fair, I am not a big fan of hoppy beers, but wanted to give this one a shot regardless.

The mouthfeel is clean and refreshing -- with a carbonated feeling.

I will be challenged to finish this bottle, but I am always up to a challenge.

Cheers.

06-10-2005 23:50:46 | More by TPSReports
pjwilson

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

When I tried Double Bastard in Nov. of 2004. I was just getting into American craft ale. I had liked Belgians before then but was still a little hesitant about IPA's. (too strong) This beer was a turning point for me then: I really loved it and thought it was the most crazy, strongest beer I had ever had. In 12 months time I have drank so much craft brew, gotten into to crazy hoppy beers, and the IPA become my favorite style. (but I still love me them Belgians)
Upon tasting the 2005 version one of three things has happened.
1. My palette has changed so much that this isn't even that hoppy at all.
2. They changed the recipe a lot.
3. I just spent the weekend at the toronado wet hop fest and "balanced" beers will never taste hoppy again.
The rant on the back really seems uncalled for. This is a nice mellow barely wine with a bit of hop bite. I really am enjoying it but am surprised by how mellow it is, both my memory and by the rant on the bottle. That, and all the hype that there was a shortage and Bev mo has 20 cases of the stuff...worried for nothing. Anyways I think it's a combo of 1,2 and 3 for me. This beer will be now be reviewed on if I had drank it for the first time.
appearance: poured into a tulip glass, double bastard is red, blood red, but much more transparent than red wine. still it's pretty thick and the head lasts pretty long for a beer of this strength.
smell: alcohol dominates for me. work a little harder and I smell some nice malts. good for style i suppose.
taste: first taste was a shock how smooth it was, not how crazy. But it's good. Reminds me of cognac. I think Arrogant is hoppier than this one. The alcohol is dominant again....which gets more and more cloying. The beer is not sweet, nor is it hoppy. Ok there is some sweetness, but it is drowed by alcohol. VERY, alcoholic tasting.
mouthfeel: is quite watery.
drinkability: I have to be honest and say that this beer is getting on my nerves. Once a year is plenty.
Well I'm glad I had a bottle, but that Jubale in my fridge is actually sounding more fun than the rest of this bottle. I know that this beer has been changed in BA from a Double IPA, to an American Barleywine, to an American Strong Ale. I'd like to say in my mind it's almost a Winter Warmer, yes strong enough to be a barleywine. But I could see packing a bottle of this stuff on a backpacking trip.

11-08-2005 05:17:46 | More by pjwilson
GbVDave

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a 20oz imperial pint.

A: Nice looking dark reddish-orange color. Massive khaki-colored head takes for ever to recede and leaves plenty of lacey goodness in its' wake.

S: Odd nose of sweet caramel and rubbing alcohol. I also noted a hint of apricots.

T: Big sweet caramel malt and sweet fruit flavors with a huge and very bitter hop bite. Some citrus fruit flavors. Alcohol is quite assertive. This guy tastes pretty boozy.

M: Spicy, tingly, prickly, sweet, and smooth, with a whack of alcohol burn.

D: Drinkability suffers due to how boozy this sucker is. The alcohol smells and flavors are very pervasive. Finishing a bomber was a bit of a chore. It wasn't bad. Not even close. Just a little hard to do.

05-17-2007 00:12:30 | More by GbVDave
yelterdow

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

Review #600. I'll celebrate this milestone with something bigger than usual, and an honest enthusiasm to review with no pre-judgement whatsoever.

Served from a 22oz. bomber from the 2008 Release at between fridge and cellar temperature in an imperial pint glass. At 10.5%, this should be memorable (or not)...

Appearance- Smelling more like a barleywine than anything else, this enormous beast of a beer glows a rich reddish brown and supports a wickedly supple off-white crown. There is a hint of red in the foam as well, and the retention speaks to the massive dosage of hops used in the recipe. There's some killer lacing that sticks like glue to the sides of the glass. A fruit fly literally just came out of nowhere and landed on the rim of my glass... I swear.

Smell- The instant I popped the cap, I got the whiff of Arrogant Bastard Ale cranked up a few notches... the aroma is massive, loaded with hops and malt and warning the recipient (me) of what is about to come. I am ready to give this a go.

Taste- Oh jeez... here we go. I swish, swallow, and feel the warm tingle of this beer's effects almost immediately. The hops and malts are so abundant and so overwhelming that the tongue is inundated with enough IBUs to power a small country. Yes, it's balanced all right... and the bitterness left behind at the back sides of the tongue make me keep feeling like I have to sneeze. It's actually not too far-off to compare this particular tasting experience to a year-old bottle of Bigfoot, there's a similar hop attack and malty presence here.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The viscous texture lays across the tongue and disperses nicely down the throat. I would suggest a hearty beef or game dish with this one, as the gigantic overall character calls for something big to complement it. I've survived the bottle, but haven't stood up yet... maybe I'll just sleep in this chair tonight. Cheers.

08-08-2009 02:46:06 | More by yelterdow
Cresant

Kentucky

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle dated 2006 into a Samuel Smith tulip. The body was a clear reddish/brown rich leather color. The moderate head was tan and eventually faded to a cap that remained throughout the drink.

Smell was spicy, vaguely metallic. Malty with dried fruits. Alcohol soaked fruits, like uncle Joe's rum soaked Christmas fruitcake. Whole wheat bread. Bread crust smell really appeared strongest after the beer had been sitting a few minutes between sips, very intense. Nice.

Taste was alcohol and zesty hops. Rich and surprisingly balanced considering the "large-ness" of this beer. The huge sweetness was balanced in the end by the bitter finish. This one is a little too boozey for my tastes but I expected big alcohol from the Double B.

Mouthfeel was medium to full with an alcohol sizzle.

11-19-2006 17:40:14 | More by Cresant
SacoDeToro

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured a deep chesnut red with an off-white head.

The aroma was primarily toffeish malt and some earthy, herbal hops.

The flavor of the beer was deeply malty with notes of toffee and chocolate. The hops had an earthy flavor with some grapefruit. There was some kind of funky astringency that really detracted from the overall flavor.

The carbonation was good and the mouthfeel was medium/heavy.

Maybe this beer needs some more aging, but I didn't really care for it.

12-08-2006 18:59:38 | More by SacoDeToro
CoolJosh

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

Thanks to the guys at Sharkies, they gave me this in an in person trade. This one had been aged a year, so I wasn't sure what to expect having never tried this one before. I remember seeing it in my BMC days and being scared away, haha.

A. A christmassy red with copper tones, semi hazy though not completely opaque. Pours a creamy white head leaves behind a beautiful off white lacing. Little activity in the body. Not a jaw dropper, but easy on the eyes none the less.

S. Pine and citrus hops, though both subdued as the bottle is over a year old. Nonetheless I must review what is in front of me. Some caramel is present as well as some sweet brown sugar.

T. Very caramelly from the start. Again the hops have died down to show some barleywine characteristics. A crunchy salty taste rise prior to a Nice soft hope kick in the end. Some heat comes through in the end as well but is not overly displeasing. Rubbery taste/feel that is displeasing however. Tried to do too much with this one

When given the chance, I will review this beer fresh to see how

12-27-2008 01:24:24 | More by CoolJosh
NewGeneric

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Had this one the other day after work. Poured an opaque rust color with caramel head that faded slow and left decent lacing. Smelled of alcohol up front, yeast, earthy hops and fruit. Tasted of hops, big malt, and sweetness. Smooth, though a bit dry and nice warmth from alcohol. For me, this just did not meet the standards that Arrogant Bastard sets for itself. Sorry.

07-28-2009 16:18:20 | More by NewGeneric
brewdlyhooked13

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

2002 Edition

Appearance - pours a murky, dank red. A thin crown of light tan bubbles manages a string of lace or two before settling to an impartial covering.

Aroma -initially some citrusy zest on the pour with some sweet fruity and boozy essences. Fades a bit after a minute but still picking some of it up.

Taste - prickly hops right out of the gate. Sweetness and alcohol quickly envelope everything, but a few moments later the hops burn back through, dry and bitter, Not as much floral to this aged bottle but still plenty of bite. Alcohol is not hidden but is well-integrated. Improves significantly as it warms, more fruit and brown sugar flavor coming through, providing some much needed depth.

Mouthfeel - smooth, good weight to it, and the carbonation picks up the beer well, giving it some spiciness.

Drinkability - this one didn't really sit well on my palate, but it'll drink.

03-29-2006 02:37:37 | More by brewdlyhooked13
meatyard

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

2006 release

Pours a pretty, clear, dark amber with a large thick tan head and good retention leaving some lacing.
The smell is a bit of sweetness and light hops, hard to categorize outside that.
The taste is, at first, a slight bitterness giving way quickly to the malt sweetness though the bitterness lingers on.
Mouthfeel is thick.
Drinkability is OK.
I'm not especially keen on this version of an ASA because it tastes a little too harsh for my taste. It doesn't have a lot of easily defineable tastes to me.

05-05-2007 23:02:37 | More by meatyard
PatYoda

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

'04 version.

Appearance is ok. Pours a beautiful mahogany with no head after a minute. Smell is a little underwhelming. Maple syrup, some citrus fruit, and pine needles are all there in small quantities, but the alcohol makes a bit too much of an appearance in my opinion. It's also got an unpleasant oxidized smell. Taste is interesting, but not up to some of the better barleywines I've had. Everything in the smell makes an appearance, though I can't taste the wet paper oxidized smell at least. Here I can say that if the alcohol was not so apparent, this would be a great beer. Malt and hops are very well balanced. There is a nice piney aftertaste and a nice deep sweet fruity taste. But after that the alcohol overwhelms you, and the aftertaste leaves you thinking you just took a tiny shot of some cheap rum. The mouthfeel is nice, very smooth and medium bodied for a barleywine. Drinkability suffers due to the alcohol, but still isn't bad. Just doesn't have enough flavor to mask the alcohol in my opinion. This is exactly why I recently changed my favorite style from American Barleywine. There's so much better beer out there.

10-13-2005 02:30:20 | More by PatYoda
tmm313

Georgia

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

A- Dark orange, almost red body. Poured a nice creany 2 finger head that dissipated pretty quickly.
S- Tropical fruits, chocolate, caramel, pine, big Bourbon.
T - Follows the nose, but the booze is HUGE. Too much so.
M- Thick, almost syrupy. Crisp carbonation.
O- I am not worthy. The bottle told me so, but I didn't believe it. Way too much booze for my tastes.

12-01-2013 00:19:40 | More by tmm313
tjthresh

Indiana

3.33/5  rDev -22%

2005 bottle. Pours a dark ruby color with creamy tan head. I got a nose full of candy sugar, cherry, caramel, toffee, and pungant hops. Fruity sweet, golden raisin, and an pleasant alcohol burn. Very smooth. Rolls over the tongue nicly. A fine drink, but not one of my faves.

12-02-2006 16:01:32 | More by tjthresh
hellcatsjg

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Pours a deep amber with almost no head whatsoever. Nothing to see here.

Smell: Piney hops in the front with a slight caramel sweetness along with a good amount of alcohol. Smells very inviting, until....

Taste: Piney hops....overly bitter piney hops. That is all you get. There is no balancing sweetness, no hoppy complexity. Nothing but overly bitter piney hops. I really enjoy the Arrogant Bastard ale, but this is definitely a step backwards.

Mouthfeel: Coats the mouth a bit too much with the too bitter flavor of the beer. A less than enjoyable flavor is something you don't want sticking around for such a long time.

Drinkability: This is probably the lowest review that I have given such a highly rated beer. I was disappointed by the one dimensional taste and the high ABV makes it hard to enjoy too much. Stick with the Arrogant Bastard Ale, this is not an improvement as far as I am concerned.

12-13-2007 05:42:41 | More by hellcatsjg
kylehayworth

Indiana

3.33/5  rDev -22%

A: This beer poured a deep amber, with hints of dark reds.

S: It smells of citrus and pine resin hops and lots of caramel.

T: I imagine going to the fair in the near future and seeing caramel covered hops, just because of this beer.

M: It has some alcohol tingling finish, as well as a hinty bitterness to it.

D: I wasn't really feeling this one, maybe I should try it again sometime, but it was just to sweet and syrupy.

03-20-2010 16:50:00 | More by kylehayworth
HoppyHomo

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at the local shoprite which has recently opened up a liquor department. Not sure how long this has been sitting on the shelf:

It has a nice smooth red copper appearance with a non-heady pour. I was expecting this to be a way too strong IPA, but its not and i was pleasantly surprised. Sometimes the high alcohol content makes me feel like I'm drinking vodka and not a beer. But i felt this was just right. And while this may not be the best IPA I've had this year, month or week; its certainly not that bad.

11-22-2012 03:33:46 | More by HoppyHomo
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.