Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,300 | Reviews: 2,073
4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

This beer poured a dark reddish amber color and formed a nice light tan foamy head that looked like a float subsiding and left circular lace. Some carbonation is present. An aroma of malt, caramel, spices with a hint of the alcohol present. A flavor of malt, caramel with a touch of chocolate. The finish is sweet with a slight astrigent element to it. Another fine beer from Stone and another thank you to the Ohio lawmakers for letting get this.

4.91/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Draft. So good. Poured a nice, caramel-like copper color. Nice, sweet aromas from the glass. This was a nice surprise of hop aggressiveness, which I love, with a sweet barleywine finish! A new favorite from Stone, and worth the wait to try.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

2002 release. Well, here I go! After so much anticipation and excitement, I finally have a glass of 200% pure bastard in front of me. Alright, enough talk, I'm eager to dig in. Invitingly evil (or is that evilly inviting?) deep crimson color. A two-finger tan head sits on top. Stays well at first, then disappears. Huge, and I mean MASSIVE aroma. And on top of that, very complex. Citrus jumps out at you first, then raisin and plum. Just a touch of alcohol. Malt is deep inside, but definitely present. On the palate... ever hear the term "flavor rush"? I think it's associated with some brand of potato chips. Well, that's not "flavor rush". Double Bastard is "flavor rush"! My taste buds didn't know what hit them! So many complex flavors hit the different parts of your tongue. I'll try to describe them. Malt and hop sections are both at maximum capacity here! Malt is caramel and a bit peat-like, extremely chewy, thick, and tongue-coating. Hops are aggressive pine and citrus, a bit leafy and floral on the edges as well. Raisin, plum, and berries have a big presence too. With the hops, this creates kind of a plum or berry skin bittersweetness, which is a very unique thing. It even stays on in the aftertaste. Alcohol presence, although noticeable, is minimal for a brew of this size. Grainy malt is noticeable as well, mostly in the aftertaste. You could almost call this a barleywine, but that wouldn't do its strength justice! I must say, this is beer heaven! I can't even put it into words. All I have to say is I'm getting as much more as I possibly can when I go back to the store tomorrow!

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber (2006 Vintage, a gift from the very generous Alyeast, a BA among BA's)

A. Pours a dark rich red with little head and little lacing.

S. Pear malt and hops. A light alcohol warming follows through.

T. WOW!!! Full malty grapefruit taste with a sweet malt backbone. The hops shine through and wait...there is the alcohol.

M. This is a rollercoaster of tatse. Definitely a bold beer. It hits the whole mouth. Not a beer for the timid.

D. Normally I would give this beer a lower score here because of the alcohol, but if this beer were available locally, I would sell my kids, quit my job, live under a bridge and drink this all day.

Finally I can appreciate Stone being so far away. This beer is soooo good I could get hooked. At least this way I can continue to be a productive member of society.
A GREAT BEER!!!!

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Bottle into Double Bastard Glass.

Appearance: A gorgeous dark red color. Like an Autumn leaf. Its a bit translucent but still wonderfully colored.

Smell: malty...oh wait... Hopy as well. This is not Arrogant Bastard at all.

Taste: As much as they keep all the IBUs classified this is not Stone's most bitter beer. It is their most flavorful and balanced beer. No trace of the higher alcohol. Slight caramel. Then hops. Even if you do not like Arrogant Bastard give this one a try. Its an entirely different beer.

Mouthfeel: Not too much carbonation in a bottle. The special glass adds a little from the wider base and increase in Ci2 bubbling.

Drinkability: The higher content keeps it from being a session beer but the wonderful taste makes it drinkable anyway.

22 ounce bottle

I tried this one solely based upon the reviews here and I was not disappointed.

A: beautiful dark red/brown color with thick head and sticky lacing.

S/T: Full-spectrum flavor here. More on the dark side than I usually prefer but very well balanced.

M/D: The ABV does not go unnoticed and as such this is not something to drink for an entire evening.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Man, did I get lucky. Coincidentally, on Friday 3rd (my b-day), I visit Andersons General Store as they were receiving their wine and beer shipment. Once inside, I made my way to the beer aisle and Bo-yah a case of DAB and OAB. Needless to say my day began with a bang.

appearence: poured a ruby red syrupy like body w/ a 2 inch orange hue head that last fully throughout the drink. Excellent lacing.

smell: In one word, Robust! Pear/peach, bubblegum, heavy caramel malt, citrus hoppy and a mellow hint of alcohol.

taste and mouthfeel: long lasting bitter sweet grapefruit aftertaste, slightly necture body(full), noticable fermented fruit undertone w/ a medium blast of alcohol.

drinkability: Easy for us hop heads. Could be tough for the tame palate.

Overall, DAB rules. All the hype is on point with this brew. Highly recommended (if you can find it).

Poured from 22oz bomber into glass

Appearence-pours a rich, deep, beautiful ruby-orange and leaves thick off-white lacing along the sides of the glass, some small head of the same color rises, it doesn't last terribly long but leaves a nice solid ring of rich lacing. It's inviting-looking to say the least.

Aroma-Rich and sticky-sweet, almost barleywine-like with a hop-kick; there isn't a single hint of alcohol on the nose, it's concealed brilliantly.

Taste-Smooth, so utterly, completely and impossibly smooth. The buttery malty sweetness and bittering hops enter into the equation simultaneously with equal, immense force and essentially wage a war between bitter and sweet on your tongue with neither side winning. There's some alcohol on the palette but it doesn't detract from the drinking experience in the least.

Mouthfeel-Just...perfect, not too thick as to impact drinkability but not too thin as to detract from the lush feeling of the beer in your mouth..

Drinkability-This beer is 10.50% but I swear, if my tolerance would allow it, I could drink this like it was only 5%, it's that unreal in its drinkability for this ABV.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

A: Deep orange/red, slightly copper. Very cloudy. Short off white head, with hardly any lacing whatsoever.

S: Macintosh apples, dry hops, candied fruit, caramel malts. Hints of oak and wood emerge along with some notes of earthy pine.

T: Quite complex. Smooth caramel malt and sweetness, with an extra dry hop character. Macintosh apples definitely present in the flavor. Candied fruits like oranges and plums (and apples, of course). Burn of alcohol follows throughout the whole drink. Subtle hints of roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Boozy aftertaste.

M: Hoppy, fruity and boozy. Sticky on the palate. Full body with medium carbonation.

D: Immaculate.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

This is a season favorite that goes fast and with good reason. Pours a deep dark amber, with a thin tan head with little head retention. Its smell is of citrus and fruit, with some nice barely notes. A nice pleasant aroma. The taste hits hard, strong and sharp with the same citrus flavor and some caramel qualities too. This is potent flavor, and not for light beer drinkers. It's a very robust and sharp mouthfeel that is very pleasant. I can't rate the drinkability too high as this stuff is powerful and after one bottle I'm reeling. If I could handle 10% ABV better, I'd rate it higher!

4.9/5  rDev +15%

First, let me state straight off the bat that I am new to this whole "beer aficionado" thing -- I don't have the vocabulary, the knowledge of such things as phenols and such. That said, I opened this beer and was struck by how assertive it smelled. Double Bastard, indeed. It is a doubly arrogant bastard -- with reason.

With reason, my friends. This brew makes no attempt, like many sneaky Belgians (which I must proclaim I love right now), to mask alcohol flavors -- this is up-front, right out there, proclaiming its strength. It is strong malt, strong hops, strong everywhere and every way. It is in every sense a strong ale. It is an arrogant bastard, doubly so.

As it warms, it only intensifies and improves. This is a beer for which angels weep. It will put you on your ass if you aren't careful. Very drinkable, for all its high abv, but if you decide to session it, you may well wind up on youtube, under the heading 'drunkest guy ever'. You've been warned.

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

I poured this 22 oz. bottle into a large wine glass. This is the 2010 release.

A: murky dark amber color, the tan head died down quickly, but the Belgian-esque cap and lacing stay put for the duration.

S: the malt aromas are complex, yielding ripe fruit, burnt sugar, and caramel, with a supporting cast of over-ripe bananas, baking spices, vanilla, nuts, alcohol, and a truly mysterious aroma that can best be described as the essence of the Earth. The more this beer warms, the more olfactory gifts it yields. I have never smelled a beer quite like this before, and was continuously surprised and delighted as I imbibed the heavenly aromas.

T: the malt is at once dry and sweet, revealing astounding depth and complexity: nuts, burnt sugar, toasted caramel, and grain husk, the middle showcases plum, raisin, vanilla, a definite alcoholic bite, and a woodsy/earthy character from the growing hop presence, the finish is amazingly long, with herbal, resinous, and grassy hops providing the coda to this amazing beer.

M: full-bodied, plush velvet texture, and moderate carbonation, the finish is bitingly herbal/bitter, but not harsh.

O: This is easily one of the most interesting and ultimately delicious beers I have ever had. It is not a classically trained DIPA or RIS: this is the proverbial iron-fisted beer in the velvet glove. It challenges you, and if you let it, it will change you for the better.

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

Nice deep reddish,amber color.Slight head that quickly receedes.Huge,huge aroma-almost like a sweet and sour sort of thing.Citrusy,somewhat smokey.Incredible flavor-great big malt flavor with a healthy dose of hops.Apricot and orange like.Great oily mouthfeel.Silky smooth-one of the smoothest beers I think I have ever tried.An extremely drinkable beer but so big you really need to be "prepared".Does this come in smaller bottles or am I asking an "unworthy" question?If you thought the other "bastard" was arrogant look out for this sucker-PHEW!!!

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

i really would like to review at this time but have no much to said i can said the color and smell is perfect the smell also really good but and the alcohol content>>>>>wow if you are a really good craft beer drinker and you like some good stuff.... go ahead and open a bottle.please forget about that american piss you drink everyday ok and enjoy the really good stuff....try your self!!! this a world class beer!!!

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

Amazing offering by one of my favorite brewers. The Arrogant Bastard was the brew that really started me off on the journey for great beer, and almost a year later I find myself sipping on the Double during an already great Friday Night. The aroma is original and awesome, if I could create a flavor of incense or an air freshener I would want this. Very aromatic throwing malts, hops, dark fruits, citrus notes, with a powerful alcohol kick bringing up the rear. Nice pour looks like the local fermented apple cider with a pencil thin head and minimal lacing, but hey it's a strong one so you can't be too upset. Take a sip and it bites you strong and fast a very aggressive mouthfeel with a smoooth subtle burn. Flavor is right on and then some, hoppy enough to combat the huge malt content. This is American Barleywine at it's peak. Thank you Stone again and again, thanks!

2006 vintage

Pours reddish amber with a thick creamy head that slowly descends to leave of lacing down the glass. Nice retention. The thin head stays throughout.

The smell is of caramel, earthy grains and citrus. Mild alcohol.

The taste is of thick sweet malt upfront - caramel, sweet - barley(?) ...brown sugar. It is balanced out, and beaten out after the second sip - by bitter citrus - orange and grapfruit. Soon, the citrusy, chewy hops fully emerge to overtake the maltiness. The malt, however, remains intact and give the hops a solid backbone. Complex, and the flavors are nicely layered.

The feel is smooth with an incredibly well-balanced texture. The abv is barely noticeable in the taste and feel - leaving it to sneek up on you.

This is an incredible brew - nicely balanced with the hops in control in the end. Fresh, full, tasty and complex. This is an amazing brew. And the beer gods rejoiced...

2006 Release

Received today from the world's best trader: nlmartin. This has become quite an affair. Thanks buddy.

Poured after yet another 12 hour day into my trusty Duvel Tulip.

A - A gorgeous ruby red. Beautiful head after a conservative pour, bubbly lacing.

S - Sweet, fruity hops. much more complex than the "un-squared" Bastard. Much more warm and inviting. Candied plums?

T - F**k Me! This is one fantabulous ale! Wonderful, sweet malty opening, followed by a bitch-slap of hoppy bitterness which segues immediately into a warm, kick-ass alcohol finish. Gimme more!

M - Fills every crook and nanny. Leaves a wonderful thick, tasty, malty coating on the tongue which is only improved by the next sip.

D - Let me put it this way: I worked 12 hours today, got home at 9:45. I have the same schedule tomorrow. I had resolved to have "just one". ...The next one is currently chilling ( to about 45ish degrees), in the fridge. God this is good shit....

I loved the Bastard, I guess I adore the Bastard squared. I have 10 left....I need at least another 24 for the Winter. Thanks Nate!

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

my mouth is collapsing into a singularity

my head is going to implode

i feel like a mummy whose mouth has been packed with hops instead of linen

hops, hops, hops

amazing beer, very bitter with some malty flavors coming through behind overwhelming hoppy bitterness and alcoholy burn

very good, nice carbonation and mouthfeel

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

This beer bends light. I poured it into the chalice so I could enjoy the nose (which is hopmalty...very balanced) and the appearance of this beer caught my eye. It must be the big body that makes the light bend (but the big body is not the syrupy business of an EKU 28 that requires it to be served very cold...but that's another subject).

I tried this beer before and chose not to review it since I had previously reviewed Arrogant Bastard and thought Double Bastard to be too much ABV to be worthy of a review. Today is a different story. I choose to drink it on a Sunday afternoon before I think about what to eat for Sunday dinner ( My wife, Bridget,'s Olive Cheese Enchiladas) (Try her "Day after Thanksgiving" Turkey Enchiladas...email me...food geeks...one word... triptophan...sp) This beer, for as big as it is, is not asking to be an aperitif beer, but( my first choice) is !YO! This hippie has found his R Crumb,Mr Natural aperitif beer. It's better than Anchor Liberty as an aperitif! I must stock up. This is dangerously drinkable. Serve it first only to the experienced. Is anybody out there?

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Dear Lord I love this beer!

Serving : Bottle into Nonick

Appearance: Beautiful warm amber. No head, beer sticks to the sides.

Smell: Hops, sugar and alcohol.

Taste: Oh, boozey sweetness, how I love thee. Nice hoppy booze up front, mellows out in the middle to sweet and comes back around to a nice sharp finish.

Mouthfeel: More body than an Italian super model. Think Barleywine.

Overall: If you're looking for the best American Strong Ale on the market. Look no further.

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

wow! where do I start. This beer is everything I had heard and more. Reminded me of a barleywine, and I had to sip this beer in order to saver every drop. An intense beer not to be taken lightly. I grew up in San Diego and I wish we had Stone back then. Enjoy!

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

2003 Edition. Holy wow. 22oz. bomber poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a super dark reddish-brown color with two fingers of off-white head with good retention and lots of lacing. The smell is full of citrus with ripe oranges and grapefruit. Hops also make their presence known in the smell. The overall aroma is just so full and bold. The taste has a good malt beginning that is a little sweet, then the taste is taken over by floral hops and ruby-red grapefruit. The balance of this brew is just incredible. Not many have ever been this balanced. The mouthfeel is super thick and heavy, like WWS meets maple syrup. The drinkability is the best I've ever seen from an ale this strong. I could just keep drinking and drinking. Totally fantastic. Wow, just wow.

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a dark brown color with a nice tan foamy head that settles into a nice lacing that lasts throughout. Aroma of roasted maltiness, chocolate, nuts and hops. Up front there is a lucious roasted chocolate maltiness that is perfectly balanced by a huge bitter hoppy finish. I love this beer.

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

2009 DB. poured into a DB glass from the Brewery, till the last drop.

A:Pours a Dense Rusty Auburn colored perfection with a little over 1 finger head. It sits in a shadow.... leaving a every sip lacing.

S:Sun dried plumbs, raisin, brown sugar gladiator hops....

T:Mellow notes of drenched spirited hops and sweet plum chillin in a dedicated jazz like soothingness of peerless malts.

M:Smooth... did i mention the 20 min. John Bonham solo....

O:(Ren & Stimpy like)Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!/ Has me feeling like its 10:15 on a Saturday Night. Drip...Drip... Drip... Drip...Drip...

-''::Pour::''-
No aggression is needed for the pour and you can see a lot of action going on as it fills up in a Weyerbacher pint glass. Quickly but swiftly, the head reaches the top of the glass, about roughly an inch thick. In fact, the glass almost overflowed.

-''::Appearance::''-
Sort of a dark amber copper color. The head maintains a very nice light tan where you can see micro bubbles endlessly flow up from the bottom of the glass. Simply put, just one of the beautiful moments for a beer enthusiast to see.

-''::Head & Lacing::''-
The head retains itself quite well but you will notice after a while that it will start to fade. Very foamy view from the top of the glass, as if I’m visualizing a cloud of foam where I can barely see any porousness. The lacing sticks well to the glass as if it’s not going anywhere for the time being, even when the head starts to fade down more and more.

-''::Nose::''-
Right off the back you pick up notes of citrus and pine along with a buried scent of grain alcohol with deeply hidden caramel that indicates the balance of malt and hops overall. It’s hard for me to tell what other aromas linger.

-''::Palate::''-
There is a steadily hint of the alcohol blended with citrus and pine straight up front. Of 11.2% ABV you really get the taste of the grain alcohol, but not as much as you would if you were to sip high ABV spirits. It simply doesn't bother me, since I’m use to hard spirits with a rough taste, and in general it just seems quite sessionable regardless. In that regard, I actually develop more appreciation for the alcohol taste as it is backed up by other complex and intense varieties of flavors that tend to sneak in which I can’t really put my finger on.

In the back, the hops creep up nicely, I guess that may be the lingering of the citrus and pine flavor of them steadily undermined by the bittersweet malt flavor, which is indeed quite complicated to comprehend for myself even. I do also get a hint of caramel and maybe somewhat of a rye or whole grain bread flavor but overall this seems to be a stronger version of the ordinary Arrogant Bastard Ale as far as the palate serves. There may be other flavors I can’t pick up, but maybe that is because I am overwhelmed by the mentioned flavors.

Overall with the flavor, there is a pretty good balance of malt and hops, but I think in the end I get more of a balance of the bittersweet malt mixed with the taste of alcohol. I guess one can imagine the taste as if it was a more sessionable Tequila, except it tastes nothing like Tequila and Tequila tastes nothing like it. Especially as it warms up, the malt flavor seems to dominate but when it was cold I was definitely able to sense the balance of hops up with the malt.

-''::Overall::'-
This is just about the best damn beer I ever had. Demonstrated is a very relinquishing balance of hops and malt with a pleasant blended hint of alcohol along with other varieties of complex flavors. Not much more can be expected or should be expected here. I always wish for every beer I have had though, that the flavor can have more bitterness to it. On the definite side, this is definitely just a stronger and more improved Arrogant Bastard Ale.

It was either this or the Oaked Arrogant Bastard I was posed with getting at the Liquor Store just the other day and needless to say, I am delightfully satisfied. Next time I’ll be sure to pick up the Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale and do a review on that as well. Taking a look at the beer is also a site to see, especially for those beer enthusiasts. Aroma is heavily inviting for the next sip with the palate to back it up. Lacing remains to stick to the glass from the start.

Pours with ease and it’s not for the weak hearted to drink as it mentions on the bottle. Be warned though, you will taste the alcohol. However, I think the alcohol taste is simply the best thing about this beer because it gives it that robust spark to back up the palate just a little bit more than an ordinary beer would with a lesser ABV.

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.