2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Reviews: 1959

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,047 | Reviews: 1,959 | Show All Ratings:
shbobdb

Indiana

1.45/5  rDev -66%

What a boozy mess! It pours an inviting red; indeed, I was rather excited after the pour. However, the nose was alcohol mixed with hops. I mean, I like alcohol and I like hops, but there ought be malt somewhere in a brew this strong. The taste followed the nose, but rather than merely being unpleasant it was downright offensive. Incredibly hot alcohol followed by numbing hops. Why? The mouthfeel is paper thin, not completely out of place given the rest of the brew, but by no means pleasant.

I was told this brew would turn me around regarding Stone . . . instead, it has done to opposite. If I had to choose between this beer and BMC, I'd say that BMC lite ice wins. Utterly unpleasant, totally unbalanced.

02-17-2006 01:48:55 | More by shbobdb
champ103

2.2/5  rDev -48.5%

A: Pours a clear ruby red/brown color. A two finger beige head forms. The wispy foam has good retention, and some lace is left behind.
S: Bitter grapefruit hops up front and dominate. Toasted caramel malt lingers. Lots of fusel alcohol in the nose. Really, an ethanol drenched grapefruit with a little sugar added.
T: Bitter grapefruit and alcohol is the dominate flavor. Burnt toast. A light sweetness lingers, but very light. I can really taste the alcohol here. Just to much of everything, but balance and nuance. Nothing come togther well at all.
M/D: A full body with low carbonation. Really sticky. It feels like an adhesive is sticking to the roof of my mouth. Tons of fusel alcohol. Add the high amount of bitterness, and this is unpleasant to drink.

I am not a fan at all. I like to think I can appreciate a bitter hop bomb, even though it is not my style. Though this is just overly bitter and tons of hot alcohol. Any brewery can make an overly bitter beer with way to much alcohol. This a prime example. If it is your thing, fine. It is not mine.

03-27-2010 04:45:24 | More by champ103
GreenCard

Oregon

2.23/5  rDev -47.8%

22 oz. bomber delivered by LBB and tasted by myself and BelgianBeers.

Appearance: quite dark amber, good clarity, a nice layer of tan head which depletes quite slowly to a thin film

Aroma: malty and bready, very light hop scent, a touch of wet carboard (aerated at bottling!?!?), acetone, a thimblefull of coffee, not a really "overt" aroma (which is the opposite of what I expected)

Flavor: butterscotch malt sweetness up front with an interlacing off-flavor (sour milk, rancid butter?), one dimensional hop flavor and bitterness, big hit of peppery alcohol that blooms into your palate like nail polish, cardboard here too, finish is sweet with a burnt caramel aftertaste

Mouthfeel: full body, terse carbonation, alcohol warmth

Overall Impression: I don't know... might be an off bottle? Probably committing beeresy with this review, but come on! Cardboard and sour milk!? This is either not at all what I expected or completely disappointing. A case of not living up to the hype?

Not worthy? That's OK with me...

04-23-2004 17:17:00 | More by GreenCard
unionturf

2.3/5  rDev -46.1%

Having tried AB which is now one of my favorite beers I looked forward to this bottle.

Poured dark amber, clear, with a good head. Smell was strong alcohol some malt and hops. Upon first sip I knew this was not for me at all. Way too thick, syrupy, too much alcohol taste for me to enjoy. Drinkability was way low for me since I didn't finish the bottle and poured the rest down the drain (sorry beer fans...).

A total let down, sometimes enough is enough...this was too much.

10-02-2008 07:58:24 | More by unionturf
JayS2629

Alabama

2.35/5  rDev -45%

Either I'm in the minority or this beer was graded on a bandwagon. I don't mind being in the minority, and I know it wasn't a bad bottle because I gave this beer a second chance after a few months just because so many others gave it a good grade. The beer had too many conflicting flavors going on without any semblance of balance.

A- honey brown with red hints, frothy white foam, descent retention and nice lacing.

S- pungent grapefruit, floral notes, caramels, lemon, grapefruit, roasted notes, and an imitation cherry hint. Booze is strong and viscous.

T- Viscous booze throughout along with imitation cherry makes for a medicinal taste watered down with woody, nutty and biscuity notes. Bitter grapefruit, lemon, and brown sugar. A boozy mess of taste with no thought of balance. Almost like a bitter barleywine with imitation cherry.

M- Rich, full bodied, sticky, dry finish with booze burn

D- Definitely a sipper. I couldn't finish it. Bitter and boozy. No sense of balance with flavors.

01-12-2011 17:09:20 | More by JayS2629
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.45/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

First of all, i'm really sorry to Greg for not liking this beer. Super sticky and syruppy. Some vanilla, with a heavy grapefruit and pine flavour. This beer is a challenge if their ever was one, especially for a "wussie" like me. A bit too in your face and unbalanced. Once again, really sorry i didn't like this, but thanks to greg from Stone for letting us have a shot at it.

08-17-2004 11:01:47 | More by rastaman
guinnessfan

2.48/5  rDev -41.9%

22 oz bottle rec'd in a trade from akorsak.

A: Pours dark rust/brownish color, with a red hue and a slight tan head. No lacing and very little retention.

S: Hops and sweet malt. Not bad.

T: Way too cloying, sweet. Entirely too boozy. More complex than their Levitation Ale, but just simply boozy. It's a shame, too. I liked the regular bastard. This seems very unbalanced. Astringent, like Listerine. Boozy like whiskey. Bitter like pepper.

M: Mouth-puckering sweet, little carbonation. Leaves a weird film in my mouth.

D: Too extreme to enjoy. It is an attempt, but they failed IMO. Just because it's big, doesn't make it good. This beer is truely "big and BAD."

04-18-2007 12:55:47 | More by guinnessfan
SupaCelt

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

This is a 2004 release procured in 2006 from Joseph's in Toledo. Ruby mahogany type colour after pouring. Beige head with some density. Lacing, but of course.

The nose smells half rotted and burnt sugar spritzed. Faint hop florality but covered in sickening sugar tones. I see where cardboard phrasing comes from.

Taste is burried in grainy sugar tones that make me want to vomit. Burnt brown sugar on top of rot. Somewhat alcoholic and maybe bitter, but the sickening sweetness is just too much for me. Horrid. Initially, I tought the age of this brew might have caused this super malted diseased flavour, but now I am not so sure.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy. It approaches chewy at times.

Drinkability is not good. This tastes like dirty feet. This is some nasty, cloying, grit peppered waste. I thought this was the new one. I am overly curious to try one of these in an uncellared fresh state but I am almost affraid to.

02-11-2006 04:10:18 | More by SupaCelt
EPseja

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

On the evening of the last full moon of winter 2007 in Westwood, NJ, the Double Bastard finally finds its way to my lips...

Served from an exquisitely screen printed 22oz bomber at cellar temperature into a Duvel tulip -- my tasting glass of choice.

A - Gluggingly thick in the pour, and medium brown with ruby highlights in the look. Pushes up a beautiful, foamy, inch-thick head that makes a thick ring around the edge of the glass. Lacing is fairly good, and head retention is average.

S - Sweet, mild caramel, and orange-tangerine citrus all dropped into a pot with cold, evergreen broth. Tickling (taunting?) notes of alcohol. Molasses biscuits with pecans.

T - Tongue-stinging alcohol-laced carbonation hits the tongue on a wave of mild malt sweetness. Isopropyl vapor fills my mouth, putting me on the verge of gasping for air. West coast hops grab hold in the back, struggling to regain control of the situation -- and succeed only barely. Astringent in the throat and bitter without relenting. Over the top and with no subtelty.

M - The alcohol sting does not help the fact that the carbonation is a bit on the aggressive side. Slightly numbing, and puffy in texture. The swallow is foamy and filling.

D - Next to the regular Arrogant Bastard, this beer is complete shit. It took a wonderful, balanced recipe with big, delicious character and injected it with steroids and methamphetamines, turning it into an out of balance monstrosity with only fair redeeming value once your tongue gets numb and your head gets light. It's not entirely undrinkable -- I intend to finish the bottle over the course of a couple of hours, sipping it like I would a spirit -- but if you've got the money for just one Stone beer, this one is NOT it.

EDIT: To qualify this rating, many people would say that this ber needs to be aged before it gets really good and mellows out. Well, that may be true. But, in my opinion, if it's not ready, then don't release it until it is, or at least mention on the bottle that it *should* be aged rather then consumed immediately.

03-03-2007 04:07:11 | More by EPseja
laglocal

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

Honestly, I had to double check this beer was fresh I found it so unenjoyable. But being bottled on 9/06/13 an 11% ABV beer should be fresher than fresh. Just a gross alcohol malt bomb with hardly any hop bitterness that isn't just completely burned to shit by all the alcohol taste. Sort of syrupy, and I have no idea how this is classified as ASA rather than a Barleywine. This almost makes me not want to try to the Southern Charred that should be hitting shelves soon.

11-25-2013 03:42:23 | More by laglocal
kojevergas

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into N'Ice Chouffe stemware in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and great retention for the high ABV. Colour is a dark caramel brown. Semitransparent. Appealing.

Sm: Grapefruit is dominant, with some candied sugar, yeast, and other vague citrus esters. Aroma is mild in strength. It's alright, but it doesn't really jump out and grab me.

T: Pleasant grapefruit is the first thing I notice. The caramel and HEAVY candy sugar, however, are not so pleasant. They do help cover the alcohol - which I don't notice, but it's too sweet overall. I feel like my teeth are rotting with every sip. It's anything but balanced; it needs to tame the candy sugar considerably. It's built alright, but it's far from a good beer.

Mf: Tingly and overly soft from the candy sugar abundance. It's abnormally, artificially soft and it really bothers me. Also, it's too thick.

Dr: They seemed to build the beer around hiding the ABV, and in that respect it succeeds. But the insane amount of candied sugar hides the best aspects of the beer: the citrusy notes and yeast. It may be worth a try for hardcore fans of Belgian beers that rely on candied sugar, but I think most middle of the road beer drinkers will be as turned off as I was.

11-18-2011 01:41:13 | More by kojevergas
schusterbauer

2.63/5  rDev -38.4%

2006 bottle; fresh

i really wanted to like this, because i like arrogant bastard very much, but i'm just not sure about this one. despite all of the bold, manly, demonic rantings on the bottle, all this beer really seems to say is "oooh, look at me, look at me, pick me, tell me i'm pretty!!!" maybe it could be called Cheap Whore -- i mean, that would come with its own implications of burning sensations, correct?

the beer looks great -- deep deep blood red, very intriguing.

the beer smells like someone decided to make a boiler maker with arrogant bastard. it smells like someone dropped a shot of rot gut vodka into it. even that, to me, is kind of intriguing. i'm never one to shy away from the burn of rugged liquor.

taste: how do you berate something for tasting bad when it seems like it's supposed to taste bad? there are actually a lot of great flavors in this beer (a la arrogant bastard), but they are being smothered to death by the gaudy amount of hops. 10% is not all that wild of an alcohol content. there are a lot of beers that have 10% or more, that do an excellent job of balancing the abv with the rest of the beer. this is not one of those beers. somehow, despite the show pony hop levels, the alcohol still tastes like 5 o'clock vodka. and as for the hop level itself, there are plenty of hugely hopped (and delicious) beers that manage to strike something of a balance with the other ingredients. again, this is not one of those beers.

mouthfeel is fine. it feels way more balanced than it tastes, that's for sure. the extra oil from the hops is kind of nice.

drinkability -- i almost dumped it out, wishing i had opened up any one of the number of exciting beers i have in the fridge. to claim that this beer is highly drinkable seems like a rod-measuring contest, if you catch my drift.

i'm not done with this beer, because for some reason, i really want to like it. i'll buy a couple to cellar for 2 and 4 years, and i'll probably try another fresh one this year. maybe i just got a crappy bottle, but i highly doubt it. this should be sold to brohams at the x-games, because it's so X-TREEEEME!!!

12-01-2006 14:33:52 | More by schusterbauer
BMoney575

2.65/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Sampled 12-11-06
2006 Edition

Smooth pour out of the bottle, deep red color with a nice amber head.

Strong aroma of hops, with other smells of citrus fruit and little smokiness.

Taste is good, until the alcohol hits. Smoky malt at first, and then a huge hop hit. But, whatever good flavors come out at the beginning are totally covered up by the brutal alcohol punch-in-the-teeth at the end. Extremely unbalanced, and almost difficult to drink.

Mouthfeel is decent, hard to keep it in your mouth long enough to get a good idea.

Drinkability is not good. Prevalent alcohol bite overwhelms the good points of the beer.

Overall I was disappointed with this beer, which was a surprise because I like more extreme brews. I probably won't try this again unless it has aged for a while.

12-13-2006 02:43:08 | More by BMoney575
JBogan

Nevada

2.65/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured a dark amber color with little to no head and no lacing. Not a very impressive start.

Smelled mostly of alcohol and some pine. Maybe a tiny bit of citrus.

Tasted like the smell. Not nearly as complex as I was expecting. Mainly alcohol dominated with some pine thrown in. I even waited a while for it to warm but really the only thing that seemed to get stronger was the alcohol taste.

Good mouthfeel. Very smooth with a medium to slightly thick body. Not much carbonation however.

I couldn't see drinking very many of these. It just didn't beckon me back for another round.

A friend of mine from Europe visited this site recently and commented that he felt that a lot of folks seemed to give high marks for a beer based mainly on the machismo factor, a high ABV content. After reading the reviews of this beer and then tasting it, that's the first thought that came to my mind. I will revisit this beer again for another try, not because I wanted more, but because perhaps I had a bad bottle. I'm definitely in the minority here but this beer was quite a letdown from what I was expecting.

11-25-2007 22:58:46 | More by JBogan
RedHaze

Nebraska

2007 Release.

Pours a deep mahogany with a dense two finger head that fades slowly to a solid cap. The lacing is very sticky, leaving a thick sheeting of foam behind.

Smell; brown sugar and caramel malts dominate this one, but there's also a mild undercurrent of some fruits. Oranges and peaches, with a toch of cherries. Some alcohol adds a bit of spiciness to the aroma.

Taste; sweet, with brown sugar, caamel and sugar covered dates and then a big wave of hop bitterness kicks you in the mouth. The fruits are present, but are a bit harder to pick out idue to a harsh bitter, almost metallic taste, with an overpoweringly strong alcohol presence. .

Mouthfeel is full bodied and a bit on the syrupy/sticky side, and the drinkability is low due to the big alcohol presence and off metallic flavor.

03-05-2008 01:29:00 | More by RedHaze
pants678

2.65/5  rDev -37.9%

All kinds of cloudy with an eggshell head, body is an orangish brown sugar color.

Weak aroma of orange and peppermint.

A boozy quad is what it comes off as initially. There would be a very clean finish were it not for the soapy alcohol. A grainy cinnamon, pine base holds up tinges of grapefruit with an offsetting mint with the strongest hops. I can't help but sip at it, the alcohol is too much.

Little heavier than medium bodied. The creamy texture seems off-base, but not problematic. A Belgian kind of smooth carbonation. Still, not at all easy-going.

12-05-2010 04:09:59 | More by pants678
Reagan1984

2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

Very aggressive and foamy beige head appears above a mahogany or cherry wood colored beer. The beer is totally translucent and shows no visible carbonation. The head has excellent retention and there is a nice amount of lacing.

Aroma is of alcohol and ripe fruits. Getting that ripe pineapple sense I get sometimes. Also some of the classic Arrogant Bastard malt aroma.. Not sure how to describe it, but it's distinctive.

I have to admit, I shared one of these the other night with a buddy and I just loved it. Truth be told I'm a big Arrogant Bastard fan... It was a little later in the night and I did enjoy it... Didn't review as I knew my palate was fried...

Now I have to say as the first beer of the day it's not as enjoyable. It's a bit hot and the alcohol is front and center. My beer fridge is set at 46 degrees. I let it sit out for about 10 minutes first. So it's not too cold. BA says to serve between 45 - 50 degrees. I am right there... The flavor starts with a strong alcohol flavor. After this (and the warming effect) you get some deep rich malt. Hop bitterness comes in, but is quickly taken over by the strong alcohol again. I have to say, I am sitting here and am quite disappointed. I am thinking this bad boy needs some aging...to mellow.

Mouth feel is as if you are drinking a strong VODKA drink....

Drinkability is not so great. Am I really writing this about an Arrogant Bastard and a Stone product? I can't believe it....

Color me disappointed. I have to go get a regular Arrogant Bastard to ensure I'm not going crazy...

12-04-2008 23:56:25 | More by Reagan1984
bigdeuce

2.7/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Nice red, frothy pour and tons of lacing on the glass. Not overly hoppy to me, maybe I got a bad bottle but extremely sweet and very boozy. Had some hop character and some cherries, plums and such, but dominated by alcohol. Had trouble finishing the bottle. I'd have to give arrogant bastard the nod against the double bastard.

08-20-2007 02:20:43 | More by bigdeuce
kegerator

Maryland

2.73/5  rDev -36.1%

was alittle disppointed in this one.
poured out a dark copper with amber hues and a 1 inch creamy off shite head that left nice lacing.
smell was faint at first but with warmth and a swirl i was able to detect some malt and slight fruitiness.
taste was strange to me. big malt hit then fizzled off quickly and just left bitterness. starnge thing is i did not really smell a lot of hop in the aroma at all. the hop had no real flavor either just left bitterness on the tongue and a burning feeling on the sides of the mouth and in the stomach. alcohol was not really noticeable.
I drank it but contemplated pouring it out. I would not waste any money on this one again.

02-02-2005 13:21:36 | More by kegerator
codewarrior

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%

22oz Bomber poured into a Snifter. 2010 vintage.

Directions on the bottle indicate to age at cellar temperature (55 degrees) or colder. Perhaps I would enjoy it more with some years on it. Have another one in the cellar, we'll see if it's any better in a bit.

L: Reddish brown and clear. 2-fingers too-thick head. Given the price, and the look, this seems filtered, probably not conditioned.

S: Lots and lots of hops with a touch of sweet malt behind. Pretty thin smelling. Way too hoppy for a beer to be aged. Perhaps that's what happens when you age this, the hops disappear and the beer begins to make sense.

T: Extremely bitter, far too much so. Beer is shallow as a result, and finish is unbearably hoppy. This beer is at least 100 IBU fresh, with no thought to balance or flavor.

F: Thin. I'm not understanding this beer, really.

D: Maybe in 5 years it will make sense? Chess, not checkers. I'll revisit this a few times over the next years and see if it makes a difference.

11-26-2010 23:43:26 | More by codewarrior
beerceller99

Louisiana

2.78/5  rDev -34.9%

22 oz. Nov. 2003 bottling. Pours a rust color with an off white head that fades to a smattering of sheen. Smells bready, yeasty, with plums and spicy alcohol. Lightly carbonated with a sticky, syrupy mouthfeel. Has a fruit juice bittersweet caramel flavor with a strong grapefruit hop and alcohol taste to finish.
This brew doesn't cut it as a Barleywine. The Bastard is best quaffed in it's original ( and more drinkable ) formula.
Maybe a couple years of cellaring will help.

10-31-2004 16:57:28 | More by beerceller99
anarchia

Oregon

2.81/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Thin white head, dark ruby color. Aroma is faint pine with lots of fruits, along with an unfortunate(to me) cherry cough syrup smell. Very thick in the mouth, syrupy. Taste is cherries, caramel, wood, grapefruit. Extremely bitter of course, starts within a second of sipping and stays around, coating your mouth with bitterness for an extended time. Some nice flavors before the bitterness takes over but I can't say I care for the bitterness or the syrupy feel in the mouth. Others may be more worthy than me.

11-27-2013 04:27:39 | More by anarchia
Intimidtor

2.83/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured from 22 oz bomber and was highly anticipating this beer. Great smell decent apperance. Blah! Strong overpowering alcohol bite. I know this is a strong Ale but this is beyond belief. Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah! Not for me! Im done with these Arrogant and Double Bastard beers. PS: I love Stone's Ruination.

12-18-2009 03:29:58 | More by Intimidtor
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%

served into a nonic glass from a 22oz. brown bomber crimped-cap

Mirky,deep reddish/brown,looks a bit like apple cider.2'' thick off-white head,very dense and creamy leaving a thick pillow of foam sitting on top of the beer. Very good retention,leaving thick rings of lace down the sides of the glass.

Good moderate, complex aromas with a good balance,Citrusy,piney,clean,a dark fruitty nose a hint of plums,also a hint of pineapple.

An intense sweet malty taste thats very syrupy,hot alcohol tastes. An intense citrus rind bite,very grapefruitty,a resiny and an oily hop feel
A clean mid taste,finishes with a balanced blast of carmell and citrus/pine. Fruitty overtones throughout the taste. The bitterness was like chewing on lemon rinds.No bad tastes jusy a bit much for my tastes.

A thick,cloying mouthfeel,very sticky.rough on the palate.
Started to get a bit more drinkable, just too overpowering of a taste.
Had a hard time finishing this bomber. An overrated beer in my opinion.

01-23-2007 04:23:31 | More by jcdiflorio
CraftBeerTastic

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

Ba Review #88
Served On: 11/15/2011
Glassware: Snifter Glass
Labeled ABV: 10.5%
Date/ Code: 2011 Release

Snagged up two 22oz bombers from the Ye Old Spirit Shop in Frederick, Md.

Look: Muddy brown with a deep red hue when swirling the glass. Head was a dense tan foam with excellent retention given the high ABV.

Smell: A candy sugar with some heavy sweet malts and a super ripe grapefruit note. Extremely pungent, almost like a barley wine.

Taste: First on the palate was a sweet dark cherry with heavy sugars that quickly tuned into an extreme hop bitterness in the middle. Then ripe grapefruit hit for a split second, followed by an intense dry and lingering bitter finish. No real alcohol heat, but that's not enough to save this one in my eyes.

Honestly? This beer was certainly not what I was expecting. I felt the overall character was reminiscent of a typical barley wine with some added bitterness and grapefruit. I can see where the middle was basically an Arrogant Bastard x2. The beginning and the end completely threw me off. The extreme sweetness and the high level of bitterness did not add up to anything special to me. Very disappointing – especially with a $10.00 price tag. Thanks anyway Stone.

11-16-2011 02:10:42 | More by CraftBeerTastic
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.