Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros

1.4/5  rDev -67.1%

1.45/5  rDev -66%

What a boozy mess! It pours an inviting red; indeed, I was rather excited after the pour. However, the nose was alcohol mixed with hops. I mean, I like alcohol and I like hops, but there ought be malt somewhere in a brew this strong. The taste followed the nose, but rather than merely being unpleasant it was downright offensive. Incredibly hot alcohol followed by numbing hops. Why? The mouthfeel is paper thin, not completely out of place given the rest of the brew, but by no means pleasant.

I was told this brew would turn me around regarding Stone . . . instead, it has done to opposite. If I had to choose between this beer and BMC, I'd say that BMC lite ice wins. Utterly unpleasant, totally unbalanced.

1.5/5  rDev -64.8%

1.88/5  rDev -55.9%

2.2/5  rDev -48.4%

A: Pours a clear ruby red/brown color. A two finger beige head forms. The wispy foam has good retention, and some lace is left behind.
S: Bitter grapefruit hops up front and dominate. Toasted caramel malt lingers. Lots of fusel alcohol in the nose. Really, an ethanol drenched grapefruit with a little sugar added.
T: Bitter grapefruit and alcohol is the dominate flavor. Burnt toast. A light sweetness lingers, but very light. I can really taste the alcohol here. Just to much of everything, but balance and nuance. Nothing come togther well at all.
M/D: A full body with low carbonation. Really sticky. It feels like an adhesive is sticking to the roof of my mouth. Tons of fusel alcohol. Add the high amount of bitterness, and this is unpleasant to drink.

I am not a fan at all. I like to think I can appreciate a bitter hop bomb, even though it is not my style. Though this is just overly bitter and tons of hot alcohol. Any brewery can make an overly bitter beer with way to much alcohol. This a prime example. If it is your thing, fine. It is not mine.

2.23/5  rDev -47.7%

22 oz. bomber delivered by LBB and tasted by myself and BelgianBeers.

Appearance: quite dark amber, good clarity, a nice layer of tan head which depletes quite slowly to a thin film

Aroma: malty and bready, very light hop scent, a touch of wet carboard (aerated at bottling!?!?), acetone, a thimblefull of coffee, not a really "overt" aroma (which is the opposite of what I expected)

Flavor: butterscotch malt sweetness up front with an interlacing off-flavor (sour milk, rancid butter?), one dimensional hop flavor and bitterness, big hit of peppery alcohol that blooms into your palate like nail polish, cardboard here too, finish is sweet with a burnt caramel aftertaste

Mouthfeel: full body, terse carbonation, alcohol warmth

Overall Impression: I don't know... might be an off bottle? Probably committing beeresy with this review, but come on! Cardboard and sour milk!? This is either not at all what I expected or completely disappointing. A case of not living up to the hype?

Not worthy? That's OK with me...

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

2.3/5  rDev -46%

Having tried AB which is now one of my favorite beers I looked forward to this bottle.

Poured dark amber, clear, with a good head. Smell was strong alcohol some malt and hops. Upon first sip I knew this was not for me at all. Way too thick, syrupy, too much alcohol taste for me to enjoy. Drinkability was way low for me since I didn't finish the bottle and poured the rest down the drain (sorry beer fans...).

A total let down, sometimes enough is enough...this was too much.

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.