2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Reviews: 1959

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,048 | Reviews: 1,959 | Show All Ratings:
kojevergas

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into N'Ice Chouffe stemware in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and great retention for the high ABV. Colour is a dark caramel brown. Semitransparent. Appealing.

Sm: Grapefruit is dominant, with some candied sugar, yeast, and other vague citrus esters. Aroma is mild in strength. It's alright, but it doesn't really jump out and grab me.

T: Pleasant grapefruit is the first thing I notice. The caramel and HEAVY candy sugar, however, are not so pleasant. They do help cover the alcohol - which I don't notice, but it's too sweet overall. I feel like my teeth are rotting with every sip. It's anything but balanced; it needs to tame the candy sugar considerably. It's built alright, but it's far from a good beer.

Mf: Tingly and overly soft from the candy sugar abundance. It's abnormally, artificially soft and it really bothers me. Also, it's too thick.

Dr: They seemed to build the beer around hiding the ABV, and in that respect it succeeds. But the insane amount of candied sugar hides the best aspects of the beer: the citrusy notes and yeast. It may be worth a try for hardcore fans of Belgian beers that rely on candied sugar, but I think most middle of the road beer drinkers will be as turned off as I was.

11-18-2011 01:41:13 | More by kojevergas
schusterbauer

2.63/5  rDev -38.4%

2006 bottle; fresh

i really wanted to like this, because i like arrogant bastard very much, but i'm just not sure about this one. despite all of the bold, manly, demonic rantings on the bottle, all this beer really seems to say is "oooh, look at me, look at me, pick me, tell me i'm pretty!!!" maybe it could be called Cheap Whore -- i mean, that would come with its own implications of burning sensations, correct?

the beer looks great -- deep deep blood red, very intriguing.

the beer smells like someone decided to make a boiler maker with arrogant bastard. it smells like someone dropped a shot of rot gut vodka into it. even that, to me, is kind of intriguing. i'm never one to shy away from the burn of rugged liquor.

taste: how do you berate something for tasting bad when it seems like it's supposed to taste bad? there are actually a lot of great flavors in this beer (a la arrogant bastard), but they are being smothered to death by the gaudy amount of hops. 10% is not all that wild of an alcohol content. there are a lot of beers that have 10% or more, that do an excellent job of balancing the abv with the rest of the beer. this is not one of those beers. somehow, despite the show pony hop levels, the alcohol still tastes like 5 o'clock vodka. and as for the hop level itself, there are plenty of hugely hopped (and delicious) beers that manage to strike something of a balance with the other ingredients. again, this is not one of those beers.

mouthfeel is fine. it feels way more balanced than it tastes, that's for sure. the extra oil from the hops is kind of nice.

drinkability -- i almost dumped it out, wishing i had opened up any one of the number of exciting beers i have in the fridge. to claim that this beer is highly drinkable seems like a rod-measuring contest, if you catch my drift.

i'm not done with this beer, because for some reason, i really want to like it. i'll buy a couple to cellar for 2 and 4 years, and i'll probably try another fresh one this year. maybe i just got a crappy bottle, but i highly doubt it. this should be sold to brohams at the x-games, because it's so X-TREEEEME!!!

12-01-2006 14:33:52 | More by schusterbauer
BMoney575

2.65/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Sampled 12-11-06
2006 Edition

Smooth pour out of the bottle, deep red color with a nice amber head.

Strong aroma of hops, with other smells of citrus fruit and little smokiness.

Taste is good, until the alcohol hits. Smoky malt at first, and then a huge hop hit. But, whatever good flavors come out at the beginning are totally covered up by the brutal alcohol punch-in-the-teeth at the end. Extremely unbalanced, and almost difficult to drink.

Mouthfeel is decent, hard to keep it in your mouth long enough to get a good idea.

Drinkability is not good. Prevalent alcohol bite overwhelms the good points of the beer.

Overall I was disappointed with this beer, which was a surprise because I like more extreme brews. I probably won't try this again unless it has aged for a while.

12-13-2006 02:43:08 | More by BMoney575
JBogan

Nevada

2.65/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured a dark amber color with little to no head and no lacing. Not a very impressive start.

Smelled mostly of alcohol and some pine. Maybe a tiny bit of citrus.

Tasted like the smell. Not nearly as complex as I was expecting. Mainly alcohol dominated with some pine thrown in. I even waited a while for it to warm but really the only thing that seemed to get stronger was the alcohol taste.

Good mouthfeel. Very smooth with a medium to slightly thick body. Not much carbonation however.

I couldn't see drinking very many of these. It just didn't beckon me back for another round.

A friend of mine from Europe visited this site recently and commented that he felt that a lot of folks seemed to give high marks for a beer based mainly on the machismo factor, a high ABV content. After reading the reviews of this beer and then tasting it, that's the first thought that came to my mind. I will revisit this beer again for another try, not because I wanted more, but because perhaps I had a bad bottle. I'm definitely in the minority here but this beer was quite a letdown from what I was expecting.

11-25-2007 22:58:46 | More by JBogan
RedHaze

Nebraska

2007 Release.

Pours a deep mahogany with a dense two finger head that fades slowly to a solid cap. The lacing is very sticky, leaving a thick sheeting of foam behind.

Smell; brown sugar and caramel malts dominate this one, but there's also a mild undercurrent of some fruits. Oranges and peaches, with a toch of cherries. Some alcohol adds a bit of spiciness to the aroma.

Taste; sweet, with brown sugar, caamel and sugar covered dates and then a big wave of hop bitterness kicks you in the mouth. The fruits are present, but are a bit harder to pick out idue to a harsh bitter, almost metallic taste, with an overpoweringly strong alcohol presence. .

Mouthfeel is full bodied and a bit on the syrupy/sticky side, and the drinkability is low due to the big alcohol presence and off metallic flavor.

03-05-2008 01:29:00 | More by RedHaze
pants678

2.65/5  rDev -37.9%

All kinds of cloudy with an eggshell head, body is an orangish brown sugar color.

Weak aroma of orange and peppermint.

A boozy quad is what it comes off as initially. There would be a very clean finish were it not for the soapy alcohol. A grainy cinnamon, pine base holds up tinges of grapefruit with an offsetting mint with the strongest hops. I can't help but sip at it, the alcohol is too much.

Little heavier than medium bodied. The creamy texture seems off-base, but not problematic. A Belgian kind of smooth carbonation. Still, not at all easy-going.

12-05-2010 04:09:59 | More by pants678
Reagan1984

2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

Very aggressive and foamy beige head appears above a mahogany or cherry wood colored beer. The beer is totally translucent and shows no visible carbonation. The head has excellent retention and there is a nice amount of lacing.

Aroma is of alcohol and ripe fruits. Getting that ripe pineapple sense I get sometimes. Also some of the classic Arrogant Bastard malt aroma.. Not sure how to describe it, but it's distinctive.

I have to admit, I shared one of these the other night with a buddy and I just loved it. Truth be told I'm a big Arrogant Bastard fan... It was a little later in the night and I did enjoy it... Didn't review as I knew my palate was fried...

Now I have to say as the first beer of the day it's not as enjoyable. It's a bit hot and the alcohol is front and center. My beer fridge is set at 46 degrees. I let it sit out for about 10 minutes first. So it's not too cold. BA says to serve between 45 - 50 degrees. I am right there... The flavor starts with a strong alcohol flavor. After this (and the warming effect) you get some deep rich malt. Hop bitterness comes in, but is quickly taken over by the strong alcohol again. I have to say, I am sitting here and am quite disappointed. I am thinking this bad boy needs some aging...to mellow.

Mouth feel is as if you are drinking a strong VODKA drink....

Drinkability is not so great. Am I really writing this about an Arrogant Bastard and a Stone product? I can't believe it....

Color me disappointed. I have to go get a regular Arrogant Bastard to ensure I'm not going crazy...

12-04-2008 23:56:25 | More by Reagan1984
bigdeuce

2.7/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Nice red, frothy pour and tons of lacing on the glass. Not overly hoppy to me, maybe I got a bad bottle but extremely sweet and very boozy. Had some hop character and some cherries, plums and such, but dominated by alcohol. Had trouble finishing the bottle. I'd have to give arrogant bastard the nod against the double bastard.

08-20-2007 02:20:43 | More by bigdeuce
kegerator

Maryland

2.73/5  rDev -36.1%

was alittle disppointed in this one.
poured out a dark copper with amber hues and a 1 inch creamy off shite head that left nice lacing.
smell was faint at first but with warmth and a swirl i was able to detect some malt and slight fruitiness.
taste was strange to me. big malt hit then fizzled off quickly and just left bitterness. starnge thing is i did not really smell a lot of hop in the aroma at all. the hop had no real flavor either just left bitterness on the tongue and a burning feeling on the sides of the mouth and in the stomach. alcohol was not really noticeable.
I drank it but contemplated pouring it out. I would not waste any money on this one again.

02-02-2005 13:21:36 | More by kegerator
codewarrior

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%

22oz Bomber poured into a Snifter. 2010 vintage.

Directions on the bottle indicate to age at cellar temperature (55 degrees) or colder. Perhaps I would enjoy it more with some years on it. Have another one in the cellar, we'll see if it's any better in a bit.

L: Reddish brown and clear. 2-fingers too-thick head. Given the price, and the look, this seems filtered, probably not conditioned.

S: Lots and lots of hops with a touch of sweet malt behind. Pretty thin smelling. Way too hoppy for a beer to be aged. Perhaps that's what happens when you age this, the hops disappear and the beer begins to make sense.

T: Extremely bitter, far too much so. Beer is shallow as a result, and finish is unbearably hoppy. This beer is at least 100 IBU fresh, with no thought to balance or flavor.

F: Thin. I'm not understanding this beer, really.

D: Maybe in 5 years it will make sense? Chess, not checkers. I'll revisit this a few times over the next years and see if it makes a difference.

11-26-2010 23:43:26 | More by codewarrior
beerceller99

Louisiana

2.78/5  rDev -34.9%

22 oz. Nov. 2003 bottling. Pours a rust color with an off white head that fades to a smattering of sheen. Smells bready, yeasty, with plums and spicy alcohol. Lightly carbonated with a sticky, syrupy mouthfeel. Has a fruit juice bittersweet caramel flavor with a strong grapefruit hop and alcohol taste to finish.
This brew doesn't cut it as a Barleywine. The Bastard is best quaffed in it's original ( and more drinkable ) formula.
Maybe a couple years of cellaring will help.

10-31-2004 16:57:28 | More by beerceller99
anarchia

Oregon

2.81/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Thin white head, dark ruby color. Aroma is faint pine with lots of fruits, along with an unfortunate(to me) cherry cough syrup smell. Very thick in the mouth, syrupy. Taste is cherries, caramel, wood, grapefruit. Extremely bitter of course, starts within a second of sipping and stays around, coating your mouth with bitterness for an extended time. Some nice flavors before the bitterness takes over but I can't say I care for the bitterness or the syrupy feel in the mouth. Others may be more worthy than me.

11-27-2013 04:27:39 | More by anarchia
Intimidtor

2.83/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured from 22 oz bomber and was highly anticipating this beer. Great smell decent apperance. Blah! Strong overpowering alcohol bite. I know this is a strong Ale but this is beyond belief. Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah! Not for me! Im done with these Arrogant and Double Bastard beers. PS: I love Stone's Ruination.

12-18-2009 03:29:58 | More by Intimidtor
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%

served into a nonic glass from a 22oz. brown bomber crimped-cap

Mirky,deep reddish/brown,looks a bit like apple cider.2'' thick off-white head,very dense and creamy leaving a thick pillow of foam sitting on top of the beer. Very good retention,leaving thick rings of lace down the sides of the glass.

Good moderate, complex aromas with a good balance,Citrusy,piney,clean,a dark fruitty nose a hint of plums,also a hint of pineapple.

An intense sweet malty taste thats very syrupy,hot alcohol tastes. An intense citrus rind bite,very grapefruitty,a resiny and an oily hop feel
A clean mid taste,finishes with a balanced blast of carmell and citrus/pine. Fruitty overtones throughout the taste. The bitterness was like chewing on lemon rinds.No bad tastes jusy a bit much for my tastes.

A thick,cloying mouthfeel,very sticky.rough on the palate.
Started to get a bit more drinkable, just too overpowering of a taste.
Had a hard time finishing this bomber. An overrated beer in my opinion.

01-23-2007 04:23:31 | More by jcdiflorio
CraftBeerTastic

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

Ba Review #88
Served On: 11/15/2011
Glassware: Snifter Glass
Labeled ABV: 10.5%
Date/ Code: 2011 Release

Snagged up two 22oz bombers from the Ye Old Spirit Shop in Frederick, Md.

Look: Muddy brown with a deep red hue when swirling the glass. Head was a dense tan foam with excellent retention given the high ABV.

Smell: A candy sugar with some heavy sweet malts and a super ripe grapefruit note. Extremely pungent, almost like a barley wine.

Taste: First on the palate was a sweet dark cherry with heavy sugars that quickly tuned into an extreme hop bitterness in the middle. Then ripe grapefruit hit for a split second, followed by an intense dry and lingering bitter finish. No real alcohol heat, but that's not enough to save this one in my eyes.

Honestly? This beer was certainly not what I was expecting. I felt the overall character was reminiscent of a typical barley wine with some added bitterness and grapefruit. I can see where the middle was basically an Arrogant Bastard x2. The beginning and the end completely threw me off. The extreme sweetness and the high level of bitterness did not add up to anything special to me. Very disappointing – especially with a $10.00 price tag. Thanks anyway Stone.

11-16-2011 02:10:42 | More by CraftBeerTastic
talkinghatrack

2.93/5  rDev -31.4%

A - Pours clear dark amber with a frothy, lasting head.

S - Loses some points here. Hops mixed with rubbing alcohol. Yes, it is 10.5% ABV but other brews with this power mask it a little better. Seemed fine on the surface whiffs but when tilted for a sip it releases a clear alcohol hit.

T - Big hops punch up front, finishes a little bitter/sour with a warming feel that still lets some notable alcohol taste sneak through.

M - On each sip it starts syrupy but swallows thin.

D - It would certainly pack a punch if downed quick and easy but the notable alcohol notes in the smell and finish will slow people down. Not something I could drink more than a glass or two of in one sitting. UPDATE: In fact, when I went back to finish the bottle an hour later I ended up with a half a glass that I just wasn't interested in finishing. Once it warms up it a little it stuck me as more of a mixed vodka cocktail in unmasked alcohol content. Wasn't feeling it. Adjusting D from 3.5 to 3.

Labeled "2008 Release" and suggested that it be aged at 55F or below. I picked it up a month ago but didn't see the note and it spent maybe two days in the fridge. I suppose with age at the right temp it would improve. Worth a try but I probably wouldn't buy again.

I enjoyed the regular AB more. Double AB seems to ride its admittedly entertaining "I'm a rebel that you REALLY won't like" claim to a higher rating than it may deserve.

Note: After reviewing I skimmed the other reviews. It seems strange how some people describe this beer as cloudy while others (like myself) see it as completely clear. Would aging or bottling dates really make that much of a difference?

01-10-2009 05:04:04 | More by talkinghatrack
gregb13

2.93/5  rDev -31.4%

(reviewed from notes; sampled late October '11)

The thing that really sticks out about this brew is its lack of balance.

Aroma is confusing, alternating from a melange of hop + citrus bitterness to a motorcade of roasted booze. Not very pleasant, but not off-putting either.

Taste is intense, bitter and dominated by booze which burns and lingers. Disappointing.

Unbalanced, boozy and overrated and would not seek out. However, this definitely is playing to a niche market of Stone-heads, who will undoubtedly love it.

10-31-2011 18:40:03 | More by gregb13
justintcoons

2.93/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter. Vintage 2010, aged 1 year.

A: Pours a murky, opaque reddish/copper with a thin layer of head that dissipates slowly. Thin layer of fine lacing.

N: Pretty much smells of Tootsie Roll and toffee with some faint leafy hops still lingering. Also seems to be some brown sugar and molasses.

T: Brown sugar, toffee, molasses and fruity esters upfront followed by some piney hops which is sort of surprising. Again a wave of fruity esters with some possible citrus comes through. Finish tastes like a Tootsie Roll with some pine and leafy hops thrown in.

M: Full bodied, chewy, sticky and dry. Light-medium bitterness is still there.

O: Fresh this is a boozy mess, but put a year on it and it loses it's edge. I don't think I care for Double Bastard one way or another. Worth a try but I'll take any of the other Bastards over this any day.

11-11-2011 00:20:14 | More by justintcoons
kbnooshay

2.95/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured a nice dark amber color with barely any head. The aroma is pungently hoppy and alcoholic. There is a doughyness to it with hints of caramel and dark fruit. The flavor is rich and hoppy and bready. The alcohol is quite apparent throughout the drinking. Raisin and other dark fruit flavor is VERY strong.
The feel is flat. Did I get a bad bottle? I was concerned with the no head pour but this is just sad. Syrupy, no carbonation. Tastes like a hopped up cough syrup. I will have to review this as soon as I get a new bottle. Dissapointing.

08-06-2008 01:38:35 | More by kbnooshay
veech

Tennessee

2.98/5  rDev -30.2%

This beer just seemed an example of trying to do too much. The appearance and smell both seemed to bode well, with a very complex array of scents and aromas, everything from grasslike hints to a spicy cinnamon. I found the taste to be sort of all over the place. It was very obtuse with a very strong alcohol feel throughout. The hops seemed to work in opposition to the early maltiness and the alcohol burn was another confounding factor with the spices seemingly out of kilter as well. It wasn't terrible, just not particularly pleasing. The mouthfeel was nice but not really noteworthy as well. I found that the whole beer could be summed up in one word: unbalanced. I was surprised considering the amount of hype surrounding this brew.

01-26-2007 18:29:51 | More by veech
Kudashov

Dark leather brown color . Spectacular head . The aroma is one of fruit and alcohol ...The taste is groovy . The finish lets you know that there is some booze in it . My Irish cheeks are now red - meaning the alcohol is in there . 2 of these will get me through tonights Super Bowl . Be careful .

02-04-2007 13:40:00 | More by Kudashov
praufs01

Appearance - Dark brown with a creamy tan head.

Aroma - Light pine resin smell.

Palate - Light carbonation that is smooth on the palate.

Flavor - Smooth citrus hop flavor.

Final thoughts - Very nice although I much prefer Stone's Arrogant bastard to the double bastard.

04-14-2008 15:56:22 | More by praufs01
Vierenner

Poured / looked / tasted ordinary. I feel like I can purchase a beer of this quality at a far cheaper price. Poured a lighter color and more cloudy than I expected. It also seems like the hops overpower other flavors which might be present in the beer.

12-13-2010 01:24:19 | More by Vierenner
harrymel

Washington

Vintage 2012,
Pours copper, light tan central dome and rim with some confluent etching. Smells of alcohol, hops (weed, resin, grapefruit and some tea) plenty of crystal malts, some more tea some more booze, a bit of nougat and vanilla and banana. Flavor is bitter, boozy and sweet. Lots of malt, lots of bittering hops, plenty of alcohol character. Medium bodied with moderate carb. I don't think I care for this fresh. Not at all.

vintage 2010- 15AUG11 - 2/4/3.5/3.5/4-3.63
A: Pours a turbid copper ale with less than a single finger of light peanut foam. This dissipates rather quickly to a mirror surface and a central cap of foam. No lacing. Surprised at how turbid this is.
S: Caramel malts, toffee, richly blended. Really nice smell, and for some reason, when I take a good long hit of this, I get candied and mulled orange smells. I dig it. Reminds me of a well aged barley wine.
T: Sweet and bready with a midline transition highlighting the alpha acid in here. Then an additional mutation to a slightly oxidized and metallic grain bed. Above average for sure.
M: Medium on heavy for the style with moderate to lo carb. Transient slick on the palate falls dry at the end.
O: Good beer. Look foward to reviewing fresh.

11-11-2012 09:00:38 | More by harrymel
saburky

(I had this one at room temperature)
Appearance - Dark amber in color similar to maple syrup. Moderately good lacing as it is consumed.
Smell - As with Arrogant Bastard ale and with a few other American ales I have tried, I immediately smell the hops. I can also smell a little malt.
Taste - I can most certainly taste the hops. No other flavors hit my palate.
Mouthfeel - Slightly carbonated and it's somewhat creamy.
Overall - I give this one a 3. Looks a little better than it tastes but then again, I'm not a big fan of hoppy American ales.

01-22-2013 16:06:24 | More by saburky
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.