Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -59%

Paige, Dec 08, 2012

SIEVS, Mar 14, 2012

Emtcraftbeerfan, Jun 14, 2014
2.2/5  rDev -48.5%

A: Pours a clear ruby red/brown color. A two finger beige head forms. The wispy foam has good retention, and some lace is left behind.
S: Bitter grapefruit hops up front and dominate. Toasted caramel malt lingers. Lots of fusel alcohol in the nose. Really, an ethanol drenched grapefruit with a little sugar added.
T: Bitter grapefruit and alcohol is the dominate flavor. Burnt toast. A light sweetness lingers, but very light. I can really taste the alcohol here. Just to much of everything, but balance and nuance. Nothing come togther well at all.
M/D: A full body with low carbonation. Really sticky. It feels like an adhesive is sticking to the roof of my mouth. Tons of fusel alcohol. Add the high amount of bitterness, and this is unpleasant to drink.

I am not a fan at all. I like to think I can appreciate a bitter hop bomb, even though it is not my style. Though this is just overly bitter and tons of hot alcohol. Any brewery can make an overly bitter beer with way to much alcohol. This a prime example. If it is your thing, fine. It is not mine.

champ103, Mar 27, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -47.8%

22 oz. bomber delivered by LBB and tasted by myself and BelgianBeers.

Appearance: quite dark amber, good clarity, a nice layer of tan head which depletes quite slowly to a thin film

Aroma: malty and bready, very light hop scent, a touch of wet carboard (aerated at bottling!?!?), acetone, a thimblefull of coffee, not a really "overt" aroma (which is the opposite of what I expected)

Flavor: butterscotch malt sweetness up front with an interlacing off-flavor (sour milk, rancid butter?), one dimensional hop flavor and bitterness, big hit of peppery alcohol that blooms into your palate like nail polish, cardboard here too, finish is sweet with a burnt caramel aftertaste

Mouthfeel: full body, terse carbonation, alcohol warmth

Overall Impression: I don't know... might be an off bottle? Probably committing beeresy with this review, but come on! Cardboard and sour milk!? This is either not at all what I expected or completely disappointing. A case of not living up to the hype?

Not worthy? That's OK with me...

GreenCard, Apr 23, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -47.3%

PSU_Mike, May 29, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -47.3%

NonicPanic, Jun 02, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -46.1%

Having tried AB which is now one of my favorite beers I looked forward to this bottle.

Poured dark amber, clear, with a good head. Smell was strong alcohol some malt and hops. Upon first sip I knew this was not for me at all. Way too thick, syrupy, too much alcohol taste for me to enjoy. Drinkability was way low for me since I didn't finish the bottle and poured the rest down the drain (sorry beer fans...).

A total let down, sometimes enough is enough...this was too much.

unionturf, Oct 02, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -45%

Either I'm in the minority or this beer was graded on a bandwagon. I don't mind being in the minority, and I know it wasn't a bad bottle because I gave this beer a second chance after a few months just because so many others gave it a good grade. The beer had too many conflicting flavors going on without any semblance of balance.

A- honey brown with red hints, frothy white foam, descent retention and nice lacing.

S- pungent grapefruit, floral notes, caramels, lemon, grapefruit, roasted notes, and an imitation cherry hint. Booze is strong and viscous.

T- Viscous booze throughout along with imitation cherry makes for a medicinal taste watered down with woody, nutty and biscuity notes. Bitter grapefruit, lemon, and brown sugar. A boozy mess of taste with no thought of balance. Almost like a bitter barleywine with imitation cherry.

M- Rich, full bodied, sticky, dry finish with booze burn

D- Definitely a sipper. I couldn't finish it. Bitter and boozy. No sense of balance with flavors.

JayS2629, Jan 12, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

First of all, i'm really sorry to Greg for not liking this beer. Super sticky and syruppy. Some vanilla, with a heavy grapefruit and pine flavour. This beer is a challenge if their ever was one, especially for a "wussie" like me. A bit too in your face and unbalanced. Once again, really sorry i didn't like this, but thanks to greg from Stone for letting us have a shot at it.

rastaman, Aug 17, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -41.9%

22 oz bottle rec'd in a trade from akorsak.

A: Pours dark rust/brownish color, with a red hue and a slight tan head. No lacing and very little retention.

S: Hops and sweet malt. Not bad.

T: Way too cloying, sweet. Entirely too boozy. More complex than their Levitation Ale, but just simply boozy. It's a shame, too. I liked the regular bastard. This seems very unbalanced. Astringent, like Listerine. Boozy like whiskey. Bitter like pepper.

M: Mouth-puckering sweet, little carbonation. Leaves a weird film in my mouth.

D: Too extreme to enjoy. It is an attempt, but they failed IMO. Just because it's big, doesn't make it good. This beer is truely "big and BAD."

guinnessfan, Apr 18, 2007

bertcat9000, Jul 27, 2012

ConradKenney, May 12, 2014

bryc9194, Feb 18, 2014

arash1000, Dec 27, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

This is a 2004 release procured in 2006 from Joseph's in Toledo. Ruby mahogany type colour after pouring. Beige head with some density. Lacing, but of course.

The nose smells half rotted and burnt sugar spritzed. Faint hop florality but covered in sickening sugar tones. I see where cardboard phrasing comes from.

Taste is burried in grainy sugar tones that make me want to vomit. Burnt brown sugar on top of rot. Somewhat alcoholic and maybe bitter, but the sickening sweetness is just too much for me. Horrid. Initially, I tought the age of this brew might have caused this super malted diseased flavour, but now I am not so sure.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy. It approaches chewy at times.

Drinkability is not good. This tastes like dirty feet. This is some nasty, cloying, grit peppered waste. I thought this was the new one. I am overly curious to try one of these in an uncellared fresh state but I am almost affraid to.

SupaCelt, Feb 11, 2006

jaswilson2, Nov 12, 2013

OleDixie, Jan 31, 2013
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.