1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

2011 vintage, fresh. Poured into a 20 oz Duvel giant tulip glass. Poured aggressively and got a huge 4 inch head, with plenty of lacing. Color is red with orange notes, head is off white. Smell is pine, grapefruit, hard candy, oranges, and a little grassy. Taste wow I have come along way in a year. Last year this beast almost brought me to my knees and now it is just a great beer, doesn't rip my taste buds apart. Starts with a burst of pine, orange, and then a huge burst of grapefruit and very little booze for the high abv. Body is good size, but not crazy. Carbonation is o.k for the size, wish it had a little more life. This is a great beerand pretty damn drinkable for it's abv. 2010/11 side by side is coming in the next few weeks, can't wait to see the subtle differences.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from the 2007 vintage 22 oz brown Bomber. The pour produced a 1-1/2" head in my trusty pint glass from the relatively hard pour. The head slowly settled leaving big gobs of lace on the sides of the glass. The beer is a deep amber/copper color and quite clear. The second pour introduced some minor particulate that stayed suspended.

I expected more aroma.... but it was rather slight. I could pick up hints of a citrus hops and a carmel/toffee sweetness.

The TASTE: WOW.... right between the eyes (in a good way)! First wave is a big citric bitterness from the hops (almost a lime-like tang). There is a big alcohol presence here as well. Hey.... don't mask it... let it club you over the head.... this is supposed to be an extreme beer! A little bit of buttery smoothness. There is some toasted malt in there.... trust me, it's there.... just not dominant.... The hops are the boss here.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick and robust. Carbonation is about right. Good mouth coating and a bitter aftertaste (not bad).

Drinkability: I don't think this beer is intended to be a session beer.... 22 oz. is plenty for my "session". But this is a good solid extreme beer from Stone. I prefer Arrogant Bastard.... but this is still good. I WISH that I had the self control to hang on to one of these for a couple of years....to let it age.... it would probably mellow out over time.

On tap at 775 Gastropub

Looks really nice - deep copper, close to red, with a thick, sticky head.

Smell is complex, but the alcohol is clearly there. This transfers into the taste as well, but the taste is even more complex. It's incredibly hard to pick apart the flavor, but the strength of the alcohol (11.2%!!) is obvious. Not too hard to put down - all things considered, it is a pretty smooth beer - but it's no gulper.

I respect this beer more than I enjoy it, but that's not to say I don't enjoy it. It is a fantastic beer and nice to have here and there, but I think I'll be drinking the standard Bastard more often, because this one is really a BASTARD. I can't believe 775 serves this in a 19oz. glass. That's absurd.

Serving type : 22oz. Bottle poured into tulip glass

Appearance : dark amber with a well formed head and good
retention lacing sticks to my glass all the way down

Smell: citrus malt carmel hop aromas smells like this is going to taste strong

Taste: wow! strong tasting bombastic ale- bitter biting after taste I love it really attacks your palate- not much. sweetness

Mouthfeel: good mouthfeel not as syrupy or thick as I thought it
would be - no escaping the boldness of this brew not for the faint of palate.light carbonation

Drinkability: suffers a little bit because of its strong biting nature of this beer .The more I drink the easier it is to drink.

Bottle (2010)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

A murky and velvety auburn with some glowing bright orange along the edges with a thin tan head. This beer appears thick and lightly carbonated. It doesn't take long for the short head to fall away. There's some lacing but not an abundance of it. While the color is beautiful, an altogether disappointing appearance.

The nose is all kinds of sweet with a hint of citrus hops. The main citrus fruit I smell is orange but the nose is dominated by sweet candied-cherries and sticky caramel. It smells like a strong barleywine, as there's certainly the aroma of warm alcohol mixed in with the candy-like sweetness. So far, this beer appears more closely related to Stone's Old Guardian Barley Wine than it does it's "little brother" Arrogant Bastard.

The taste is a mouth-blasting brigade of bitter and citrus hops, sweet, fruity and caramel malts, and a deluge of hot alcohol. The most upfront flavors are the sweet fruits, namely cherries, and a punch of bitterness. The warm alcohol toward the finish though reminds you to be careful with this one. While the flavors are certainly bold and "in your face," I think this one could particularly benefit from some aging.

Creamy and thick mouthfeel that fits the beer exceptionally well.

I always look forward to my first Double Bastard, as it's a showcase of so many different flavors all coming together as one. But I very rarely make it to my second; this beer is big, bold, and filling. An exceptional sipper that, in my opinion, is significantly improved with some time in the cellar.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from bomber into snifter
A – pours with an amber, two finger white head with great retention. Very dark red amber color…hard to see through to the other side unless held up to a light. Head very slowly fades away leaving minimal lacing on the side…fades to a mild amount of head retention. A ruby red color is a very accurate description
S – mm…very present hop notes. Nice, sweet, and fruity. When you take a very deep smell of it, you can definitely feel the alcohol lingering in the background
T Wow! This truly deserves the name double bastard…everything that arrogant bastard has but doubled. Strong alcohol bite in the front with a hoppy/malty finish. Makes you question your hubris for daring to drink this bomber by yourself! This is a fresh bomber that I just bought. I now know the bastard…but I do not know if it will set me free. As I have never had this before (I think I may have had it on tap in the past…no way of verifying), I look forward to seeing how the rest of my bottles will age. The aftertaste is the hop character lingering…very strong hop character that attacks you immediately. This is cold right out of my car (has sat there during my work shift…low 30’s when I left work)…going to continue this review when it warms up. The alcohol and hop character seem a little overwhelming right now..as it warms. The heat leaves a little leaving way to a deliciously strong, hoppy character beer with a strong malt profile in the background
M When cold, it feels very carbonated. The carbonation and hops attack your mouth and seek to control it…not necessarily bad, but almost overwhelming!
O While I really enjoy this beer, I think it is a little hot fresh. I look forward to seeing how this evolves in the future…If I didn’t have a twelve hour grace period to recover from this, I would say that I was the arrogant bastard for daring to drink this solo…I will be working out my mouth and liver to deal with this bastard. This is a damned good beer. My one regret is drinking it so fresh but I am also reminded that I have a few sitting in the cellar waiting for the right opportunity to be unleashed

2007 version.

This beer pours a clear, dark ruby hue, with a thin cap of beige head, which leaves wispy lace at the edges. It smells of caramel, fig, raisin, toffee sweetness, booze, and some very mild citrus hops. The taste is sweet caramel malt, stewed raisins, and toffee, with some citrus and pine hops coming on later in the game. The carbonation is quite mild, the body thick, oily, heavy, and fairly smooth, and it finishes with a growing hoppiness to quell the consistent dense malt. The resident lofty alcohol is scarily well-hidden.

It's been a few years since I've had a regular Arrogant Bastard (those words don't seem to go too well together), but this sure is reminiscent of that beer, as a beefed up, but consistent, older brother.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

One of Stone's Claim to Fame! I've had quite a few of these over the years but still have yet to review so here goes...but first I'll note, I've enjoyed this beer most uber fresh OR with close to two years of age on it.

The bottle in review is 2011 vintage:

A - Dark cherry red or Mahogony in color, semi- active in the 12oz La Chouffe Tulip I poured it in. One inch head rises from semi-aggressive pour but quickly diminishes. Not much in the rhelm of lacing...GOOD

S - Piney-Prickly hops with sweet pineapple smelling malts and grapefruit. There is also a good scent of cherries in there as well with moderate alcohol fumes. The problem with the Cherry mixing with the alcohol fumes is that it's faintly reminiscent of the smell of cherry cough syrup without ruining the smell of the beer, if that makes any sense...

T - Pretty much same as the nose. This beer is not short on flavor, that's for sure. As it warms it becomes boozier and a sour apple flavor comes into the mix. The mild reminder of Cherry cough syrup is there but again, not ruining the experience. Although the term Strong Ale or "category" is loosely used, this hits it on the head. This is what I would define a stong ale to be.

M - Phenominal for a beer of this magnitude or of 10.5%. Almost as if a big Imperial Red were infused with a Barleywine. The mouthfeel and taste come so close to just walking that fine line of being a Barleywine but was a wee bit shy of making it there. Still a tad bit too boozy, otherwise I would have given the mouthfeel a 5 score.

O - Very good beer. I think this 2011 vintage will be better in a year.

Stone- Double Bastard

Appearance- Hazy reddish brown with a big overflowing creamy head. Sticky foamy head just sits there.
Smell- Strong pine, dried fruits, and malt.
Taste- Big pine hops blended with figs, grapefruit, orange rind, caramel, and burnt charcoal.
Mouthfeel- Big sweet licorice flavor hits you up front. Smooth and warming in the end. Alcohol is very present throughout.

Overall- A surprisingly mild Double. The flavor is nice but the alcohol should be masked more for my taste!!

Vintage 2007
Dark copper beer with a small sticky head.
Sweet malts, with subtle caramel. Citrus, mostly orange with some alcohol in the mix.
Full almost syrupy body with good carbonation.
A good beer, with an aggressive alcohol bite. Aged this beer is great but fresh its to much.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, Sam Adams glass, 2009 vintage.

This long awaited drink is a slightly hazed woody and deep amber. When poured it looked nearly still and then was able to develop swirls of the very standard off-white.

The nose is loaded with butter, there must be some diacetyl in play. In fact butter pretty much makes up the olfactory side of things. Sweet malt, alcohol, citrus zest are also present in trace amounts. Maybe a bit of pine.

Hops are more evident in the flavor; orange, grapefruit pith and zest, lemon pith. There's the butter again, this time coming off more butterscotch or toffee-like (diacetyl). As promised there is copious alcohol; it caresses rather than burns and emphasizes the sizable rough hop bitterness. I can see potential here and may wish I had another 2009 bottle.

There isn't much carbonation, probably to the Double Bastard's benefit, and the weight in the mouth is truly syrupy.

I've worked this first glass down quite quickly and I'm surprised I'm not really feeling it. Alcohol content wise this will never be drinkable, but its role in the flavor is extremely well integrated already.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Massive three finger dark creamy head from a turbulent pour. Good retention and prodigious lacing. Beer is a clear, reddish nut-brown color, nearly transparent.

Brown sugar and caramel through the nose, with some piney hops. Very sweet. Nuts and dark fruit.

Flavor is aggressively sweet, focusing on heavily caramelized brown sugar. Hops are present in a dry and piney sense, taking a background bite not unlike a porter. Not insignificant heat from evaporating alcohol, a la wine.

Sweet and syrupy full-bodied ale. Good bite and sting. Again, notable alcohol presence, but definitely not unpleasant.

If anything, this beer is too sweet for me. I'm just not getting the strong hop presence so many others have talked about. Still, it's a very, very good and tasty beer.

Fresh 2010 release

Beautiful dark amber with orange highlights. Sticky and foamy ivory colored head, about 3 fingers thick to start and leaves behind a thick and beautiful lace.

Sweet and robust malty aroma, full of caramel and fruity scents. A slightly alcoholic kick before the hop aromas come in. Citrus seems to be the most notable hop aroma.

Sweet, a bit spicy, and full of bitterness. Malty upfront with a warming alcoholic kick. Hops make up the finish with lots of citrusy flavors and a nice bitterness to round it all out.

Mouthfeel is chewy and thick. Overall, Stone has another quality brew here. Lots of great things going on here but it will be interesting to see how this one ages.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

I have had this beer many times just getting around to a review.

2007 batch poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a great carmel brown with a thick foamy head. Great lacing on the sides of my tulip glass.

Pretty piney nose. I also smelled dried fruits in the nose.

This beer is a hop and malt monster. Smooth up front with the bitter hops kicking in in the back end.

This is slow sipper but pretty smooth concidering the high ABV. Actually quite drinkable.

Call me crazy but I this beer is much better with a bit of age on it. When I had the same batch fresh it was very harsh and bitter from the extreme level of hops used in this beer. The one I had last night was much smoother and mellow.

Reccomended. Another great beer from Stone.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

22 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. 10.5% ABV, Age at Cellar temp (55°F) or below. 2009 Release.

Thanks to sweemzander for this bottle!

A - DB pours out quietly with some viscosity. Hazy brown amber in color, it's topped by a dense light khaki head with great retention and minor patchy lace clinging to the glass.

S - Double the bastard, double the malts I suppose. This one is both a hop and malt bomb. Tons of gooey caramel and toasted dense bread make up the heavy amber malt nose. Lots of earthy hops come though in support as well. Decently balanced and really strong.

T - What a punch in the mouth even at about a year old. Thick roasted amber malts, sticky caramel, and dense bread really come out strong with an almost minor dark fruity alcohol kick to it. No booziness but the alcohol is definitely there. Strong earthy and floral bitter hops kick the end into high gear.

M - Massively full-bodied and rich with a smooth and throat-coating viscosity, the alcohol isn't so much tasted as it is felt in the finish that's got a lot of warming sensation. Largely bitter and sharp too, the mouthfeel of Double Bastard is pretty complex.

D - Still drinkable for how rich it is, this strong ale is double the bastard to you when the bottle is finished I'm sure. A nice beer with good profiles going on here.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Medium amber/ruby colour, slightly translucent with a small amount of cream coloured head.

S - Grapefruit and pine are noticeable up front along with a nice hop bitterness. A big sweet caramel/toffee malt aroma balances this out nicely.

T - The citrus and pine aroma from the nose is not very easily detected, but the big hop bitterness is definitely present. The malt backbone is a good balance for the bitterness, adding caramel and toffee notes to the flavour profile. The finish is bitter and somewhat dry and lingers for quite some time. A very big, bold and well balanced beer.

M -Medium to full body. Chewy. Light carbonation.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Pours a murky reddish amber color with minimal cream colored head.

S- Sweet, malty, fruity, pineapple, faint pine.

T- Well balanced sweet malt with hop bitterness, brown sugar, alcohol doesn't show itself at least not like 10.5 ABV.

M- Medium-heavy body, lightly syrupy, medium carbonation.

D- Complex enough to stay interesting, but watch out for the sneaky ABV.

2008 Release

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass. Poured think out of the glass bottle, color of deep burgundy with some caramel colored head that dissipated somewhat quickly. Some lacing can be noticed, served garaged temped (ice cold). Smells of sweet maltiness, sugary nutty tones, and a liberal dose of hops in toe. Intense malt at the beginning followed by a major blast of those killer hops to finish, its BIG. Thick as oil, sticky and a nice lacing on the palate which is favorable to say the least. Great sipper, a stellar winter warmer with no question. ABV is noticeable, but not distracting. Recommended the those who enjoy the big ones... arrogance is bliss.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

This is a 2003 release that I drink at room temp.
The brew pours ruby/mahogany in color and a beige fluffy tightly packed head foams up easily and fades to a edge layer around my snifter.
The aroma is very fruity with hints of apple and pears also a floral hop aroma is present.
First sip reveals a gentle carbonation and creamy smooth texture.
The flavor is malty sweet up front with some earth and piney flavors in the middle and finish. The finish is also a little dry and vinous. I definitely get alcohol warmth on the way to my belly. This is a pretty tasty brew and fairly easy to drink for a 10% abv!

2008 edition

Pours a hazy orangey red color with a small off white head.

Big citrusy nose, lots of hops with a touch of alcohol and malt.

Again, lots of grapefruity hops on the palate with a long lingering bitterness, but it's very pleasent. A touch of tropical fruit along the way, but not as much as I remember in years past. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Nice full body with creamy carbonation.

Very high drinkability given the ABV. If I tasted this blind I would peg it as a DIPA. Tons of hops and they are tasty. A total palate destroyer, but in a good way.

2011 Release

A - Pours a maroon/mahogany with puffy off-white head

S - A bit of malt at first, slightly toasted with roasted grain. Both dark and light fruits, raisins, cherry, some floral hops. Very good smelling brew.

T - Candied sugar, dark fruits, with a little kick of cherry. You kinda get hit with a lot of booze in the middle before it fades into some floral hops.

M - Again, quite boozy. Good thickness as well.

Overall - Good not great. I felt like there was a little too much heat in this one that it masked some of the flavors. Certainly a fine strong ale, but one that has more potential.

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.