Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,038 | Hads: 6,340
2.82/5  rDev -33.8%

22 oz. Nov. 2003 bottling. Pours a rust color with an off white head that fades to a smattering of sheen. Smells bready, yeasty, with plums and spicy alcohol. Lightly carbonated with a sticky, syrupy mouthfeel. Has a fruit juice bittersweet caramel flavor with a strong grapefruit hop and alcohol taste to finish.
This brew doesn't cut it as a Barleywine. The Bastard is best quaffed in it's original ( and more drinkable ) formula.
Maybe a couple years of cellaring will help. (481 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -33.6%

was alittle disppointed in this one.
poured out a dark copper with amber hues and a 1 inch creamy off shite head that left nice lacing.
smell was faint at first but with warmth and a swirl i was able to detect some malt and slight fruitiness.
taste was strange to me. big malt hit then fizzled off quickly and just left bitterness. starnge thing is i did not really smell a lot of hop in the aroma at all. the hop had no real flavor either just left bitterness on the tongue and a burning feeling on the sides of the mouth and in the stomach. alcohol was not really noticeable.
I drank it but contemplated pouring it out. I would not waste any money on this one again. (672 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Thin white head, dark ruby color. Aroma is faint pine with lots of fruits, along with an unfortunate(to me) cherry cough syrup smell. Very thick in the mouth, syrupy. Taste is cherries, caramel, wood, grapefruit. Extremely bitter of course, starts within a second of sipping and stays around, coating your mouth with bitterness for an extended time. Some nice flavors before the bitterness takes over but I can't say I care for the bitterness or the syrupy feel in the mouth. Others may be more worthy than me. (510 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter. Vintage 2010, aged 1 year.

A: Pours a murky, opaque reddish/copper with a thin layer of head that dissipates slowly. Thin layer of fine lacing.

N: Pretty much smells of Tootsie Roll and toffee with some faint leafy hops still lingering. Also seems to be some brown sugar and molasses.

T: Brown sugar, toffee, molasses and fruity esters upfront followed by some piney hops which is sort of surprising. Again a wave of fruity esters with some possible citrus comes through. Finish tastes like a Tootsie Roll with some pine and leafy hops thrown in.

M: Full bodied, chewy, sticky and dry. Light-medium bitterness is still there.

O: Fresh this is a boozy mess, but put a year on it and it loses it's edge. I don't think I care for Double Bastard one way or another. Worth a try but I'll take any of the other Bastards over this any day. (860 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured from 22 oz bomber and was highly anticipating this beer. Great smell decent apperance. Blah! Strong overpowering alcohol bite. I know this is a strong Ale but this is beyond belief. Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah! Not for me! Im done with these Arrogant and Double Bastard beers. PS: I love Stone's Ruination. (365 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -30.8%

served into a nonic glass from a 22oz. brown bomber crimped-cap

Mirky,deep reddish/brown,looks a bit like apple cider.2'' thick off-white head,very dense and creamy leaving a thick pillow of foam sitting on top of the beer. Very good retention,leaving thick rings of lace down the sides of the glass.

Good moderate, complex aromas with a good balance,Citrusy,piney,clean,a dark fruitty nose a hint of plums,also a hint of pineapple.

An intense sweet malty taste thats very syrupy,hot alcohol tastes. An intense citrus rind bite,very grapefruitty,a resiny and an oily hop feel
A clean mid taste,finishes with a balanced blast of carmell and citrus/pine. Fruitty overtones throughout the taste. The bitterness was like chewing on lemon rinds.No bad tastes jusy a bit much for my tastes.

A thick,cloying mouthfeel,very sticky.rough on the palate.
Started to get a bit more drinkable, just too overpowering of a taste.
Had a hard time finishing this bomber. An overrated beer in my opinion. (1,001 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -30.8%

Ba Review #88
Served On: 11/15/2011
Glassware: Snifter Glass
Labeled ABV: 10.5%
Date/ Code: 2011 Release

Snagged up two 22oz bombers from the Ye Old Spirit Shop in Frederick, Md.

Look: Muddy brown with a deep red hue when swirling the glass. Head was a dense tan foam with excellent retention given the high ABV.

Smell: A candy sugar with some heavy sweet malts and a super ripe grapefruit note. Extremely pungent, almost like a barley wine.

Taste: First on the palate was a sweet dark cherry with heavy sugars that quickly tuned into an extreme hop bitterness in the middle. Then ripe grapefruit hit for a split second, followed by an intense dry and lingering bitter finish. No real alcohol heat, but that's not enough to save this one in my eyes.

Honestly? This beer was certainly not what I was expecting. I felt the overall character was reminiscent of a typical barley wine with some added bitterness and grapefruit. I can see where the middle was basically an Arrogant Bastard x2. The beginning and the end completely threw me off. The extreme sweetness and the high level of bitterness did not add up to anything special to me. Very disappointing – especially with a $10.00 price tag. Thanks anyway Stone. (1,224 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -30.5%

A - Pours clear dark amber with a frothy, lasting head.

S - Loses some points here. Hops mixed with rubbing alcohol. Yes, it is 10.5% ABV but other brews with this power mask it a little better. Seemed fine on the surface whiffs but when tilted for a sip it releases a clear alcohol hit.

T - Big hops punch up front, finishes a little bitter/sour with a warming feel that still lets some notable alcohol taste sneak through.

M - On each sip it starts syrupy but swallows thin.

D - It would certainly pack a punch if downed quick and easy but the notable alcohol notes in the smell and finish will slow people down. Not something I could drink more than a glass or two of in one sitting. UPDATE: In fact, when I went back to finish the bottle an hour later I ended up with a half a glass that I just wasn't interested in finishing. Once it warms up it a little it stuck me as more of a mixed vodka cocktail in unmasked alcohol content. Wasn't feeling it. Adjusting D from 3.5 to 3.

Labeled "2008 Release" and suggested that it be aged at 55F or below. I picked it up a month ago but didn't see the note and it spent maybe two days in the fridge. I suppose with age at the right temp it would improve. Worth a try but I probably wouldn't buy again.

I enjoyed the regular AB more. Double AB seems to ride its admittedly entertaining "I'm a rebel that you REALLY won't like" claim to a higher rating than it may deserve.

Note: After reviewing I skimmed the other reviews. It seems strange how some people describe this beer as cloudy while others (like myself) see it as completely clear. Would aging or bottling dates really make that much of a difference? (1,661 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured a nice dark amber color with barely any head. The aroma is pungently hoppy and alcoholic. There is a doughyness to it with hints of caramel and dark fruit. The flavor is rich and hoppy and bready. The alcohol is quite apparent throughout the drinking. Raisin and other dark fruit flavor is VERY strong.
The feel is flat. Did I get a bad bottle? I was concerned with the no head pour but this is just sad. Syrupy, no carbonation. Tastes like a hopped up cough syrup. I will have to review this as soon as I get a new bottle. Dissapointing. (545 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -29.8%

Vintage 2012,
Pours copper, light tan central dome and rim with some confluent etching. Smells of alcohol, hops (weed, resin, grapefruit and some tea) plenty of crystal malts, some more tea some more booze, a bit of nougat and vanilla and banana. Flavor is bitter, boozy and sweet. Lots of malt, lots of bittering hops, plenty of alcohol character. Medium bodied with moderate carb. I don't think I care for this fresh. Not at all.

vintage 2010- 15AUG11 - 2/4/3.5/3.5/4-3.63
A: Pours a turbid copper ale with less than a single finger of light peanut foam. This dissipates rather quickly to a mirror surface and a central cap of foam. No lacing. Surprised at how turbid this is.
S: Caramel malts, toffee, richly blended. Really nice smell, and for some reason, when I take a good long hit of this, I get candied and mulled orange smells. I dig it. Reminds me of a well aged barley wine.
T: Sweet and bready with a midline transition highlighting the alpha acid in here. Then an additional mutation to a slightly oxidized and metallic grain bed. Above average for sure.
M: Medium on heavy for the style with moderate to lo carb. Transient slick on the palate falls dry at the end.
O: Good beer. Look foward to reviewing fresh. (1,227 characters)

Dark leather brown color . Spectacular head . The aroma is one of fruit and alcohol ...The taste is groovy . The finish lets you know that there is some booze in it . My Irish cheeks are now red - meaning the alcohol is in there . 2 of these will get me through tonights Super Bowl . Be careful . (296 characters)

I loved Arrogant Bastard, and was excited to try Double Bastard, because I thought I would like something even more intense. However, I did not enjoy this beer. It was far too much for me. Given the flavor of these two beers, maybe something called Bastard and a Half would be better for me. (291 characters)

Appearance - Dark brown with a creamy tan head.

Aroma - Light pine resin smell.

Palate - Light carbonation that is smooth on the palate.

Flavor - Smooth citrus hop flavor.

Final thoughts - Very nice although I much prefer Stone's Arrogant bastard to the double bastard. (274 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a standard, British pint glass.

A - 4.75 - Pours a lovely, rich, dark rust and ruby color. Forms about a finger of quickly dissipating, medium tan colored head. Whispy lacing left on the walls of the glass.
S - 2.25 - Smell is pretty boring to me. Light touches of malt and hops with a strong imperial pilsner aroma.
T - 3 - Beer is quite a malt bomb, definitely needs time to age even though the labeling states to enjoy fresh as well. Upfront there are sweet extremely malty tones, reminiscent of an imperial IPA that has sat too long, but in someway you can tell it is intentional here. This fades into the classic, over the top hoppy bitterness Arogant Bastard is known and loved for. There are some more subtle notes of things like raisins and dark fruits in the back, but these but is just too malty for me.
F - 3.75 - Decent bodied beer.
O - 3 - Middle of the road score here. Wish I had let it age a bit longer, but Stone should not encourage the drinking of this beer fresh on their bottle! I think more breweries should follow in the footsteps of Deschutes and put a best AFTER date on their bottle! All in all, and OK beer as is, can taste potential with some aging though! (1,199 characters)

Regular Arrogant Bastard I gave a 5/5 and is in my top-5 ever, but ehhh .. I just can't drink much of this stuff. Maybe proof that there can be too much of a good thing? (169 characters)

Poured / looked / tasted ordinary. I feel like I can purchase a beer of this quality at a far cheaper price. Poured a lighter color and more cloudy than I expected. It also seems like the hops overpower other flavors which might be present in the beer. (252 characters)

(I had this one at room temperature)
Appearance - Dark amber in color similar to maple syrup. Moderately good lacing as it is consumed.
Smell - As with Arrogant Bastard ale and with a few other American ales I have tried, I immediately smell the hops. I can also smell a little malt.
Taste - I can most certainly taste the hops. No other flavors hit my palate.
Mouthfeel - Slightly carbonated and it's somewhat creamy.
Overall - I give this one a 3. Looks a little better than it tastes but then again, I'm not a big fan of hoppy American ales. (544 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%

22 oz Bomber. Pours nice, dark copper colored, very nice initial head .Surprisingly the first impression on the tongue is sweet, caramel. Too sweet IMO. Very decent hop presence,but over all the tilt toward sweet IMO is just a little much for me. I was expecting to be blown away and I wasn't, Oaked Arrogant Bastard is a better brew. Arrogant Bastard is a better brew. Worth a try by all means, but not my favorite from Stone. (427 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -28.4%

This beer just seemed an example of trying to do too much. The appearance and smell both seemed to bode well, with a very complex array of scents and aromas, everything from grasslike hints to a spicy cinnamon. I found the taste to be sort of all over the place. It was very obtuse with a very strong alcohol feel throughout. The hops seemed to work in opposition to the early maltiness and the alcohol burn was another confounding factor with the spices seemingly out of kilter as well. It wasn't terrible, just not particularly pleasing. The mouthfeel was nice but not really noteworthy as well. I found that the whole beer could be summed up in one word: unbalanced. I was surprised considering the amount of hype surrounding this brew. (739 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -28.2%

2003 edition. nice brown body and decent head for a 10% beer. Smells very malty and fruity, classic barley wine smell. strong alcohol and roasted malt flavor, not much fruit at all. astringent alcohol aftertaste. mouth feel is decent, but the lack of flavor besides alcohol and malt turns me off. (296 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -27.7%

2007 Release, poured from a bomber into my large St. Feuillien goblet, Double Bastard is clear dark ruby with a small but thick, olive tinged off-white head.

Smell is mainly a big punch of citrus hops, pineapple and grapefruit, although a rich sweet malt background lets you know that you're not dealing with another big IPA. Since I've been drinking winter warmers lately, it reminds me of a super hoppy one of those, with noticeably more alcohol. I'd rather more balance from the malt, the hops make it rather one dimensional.

Taste is also super hoppy, with a hugely bitter, dry, clean booze finish. There is some sweet, gingerbread like malt lying behind all the hops and fusels, but it's probably too fresh for my taste right now. The aftertaste just won't stop, super astringent and boozy.

Mouthfeel is thick and oily, not much carbonation.

Drinkability is on the lower side. This one pretty much burns with every swallow. Sure it softens some as it warms, but it also gains viscosity. Frankly, I'd normally lower pretty much every category, except for the fact that it's so fresh, and I assume it's better with age. There's also maybe some high score bias, as much as I try to avoid that, I can't ignore the hype behind this one, which I'm not really liking. I love robust american barelywines, but this one's just harsh, and I'm a fan of extreme beer. Time will tell if they're arrogant or just fooling themselves. (1,430 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -26.5%

Light ruby color and transparent. Big head for the style recedes pretty quickly but maintains a solid layer of foam over the liquid. Lacing sticks in lines and blotches on the glass.

Complex malty aroma with burnt molasses, caramel, dates and hints of tropical fruits. Tough to tell if the tropical, citric aromas are coming from the malt or the hops. Aggressive pine aroma as well. Smells like an American barleywine or malt forward DIPA like 90 minute IPA.

Some of the fruit flavors come through with mild dates but is overpowered by lemon rind, raw radishes, dish detergent and ultra tart and bitter grapefruit. Caramel is there but weak. Hops are intense and linger into the aftertaste with an odd tartness that overwhelms the palate and only intensifies in the first twenty seconds after each sip. One thing I can say is that I can't taste any alcohol although alcohol flavor may be more pleasant.

Full-bodied and somewhat sticky. Good carbonation though short-lived. Finish is super dry with a rough texture.

I love arrogant bastard but they went overboard on this one. There's no balance. It would be different if the hops actually tasted good. Am I alone in thinking that grapefruit and soap do not taste good? Not sure what they were thinking. Has a few things going for it that prevent me from pouring it down the drain. Won't be rechallenging this one. It has complexity but without balance you're left with a mediocre beer at best. (1,447 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

2012 vintage

A - pours a cloudy and ominous brownish red. It has a creepy reminiscence to blood. Small tannish head that quickly turns to just a ring around the rim.

S - the strong aromas assault the nose. Fusel alcohol and medicinal cherry are at the forefront. Notes of toffee and nuts show off the powerful malt character. Lots of resiny hop character round out the nose.

T - lots of sweetness on the front end. Caramel, toffee, and white sugar. The middle is full of biting bitter citrus peel and sweet cherry fruit. Finish is reminiscent of sugar coat grapefruit.

M - full bodied. Rather viscous and heavy on the palate even with the high and bubbly carbonation.

O - way too sweet and boozy for me at this point. I did tuck two other bottles away and hopefully my opinion of this ale will change as it changes with time. (830 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -25.8%

Nice deep burnt orange brown color, retaining a thin brown head. Still struggling to define the aroma, wife says 'pineapple? fruity?'. I smell nothing. Very malty flavor with excellent body, then the alcohol steps in and punches you in the mouth. To me, it left behind a 'dried grain fortified with vodka' aftertaste. My God, my lips are numb! I would probably drink this again, but not the wife. Started the sample at 50 deg., and as it warms, it actually seems to mellow and get better. (488 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -25.8%

I love Arrogant Bastard because I feel like it's the perfect balance of old school, hair-on-your-chest brewing, plus enough warming alcohol to give you a kick in the pants. In fact, it's one of my all-time favorites.

But I feel like Double Bastard is just that same beer on steroids... stronger, but with shrunken testicles. (325 characters)

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.