Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros

2.2/5  rDev -48.4%

A: Pours a clear ruby red/brown color. A two finger beige head forms. The wispy foam has good retention, and some lace is left behind.
S: Bitter grapefruit hops up front and dominate. Toasted caramel malt lingers. Lots of fusel alcohol in the nose. Really, an ethanol drenched grapefruit with a little sugar added.
T: Bitter grapefruit and alcohol is the dominate flavor. Burnt toast. A light sweetness lingers, but very light. I can really taste the alcohol here. Just to much of everything, but balance and nuance. Nothing come togther well at all.
M/D: A full body with low carbonation. Really sticky. It feels like an adhesive is sticking to the roof of my mouth. Tons of fusel alcohol. Add the high amount of bitterness, and this is unpleasant to drink.

I am not a fan at all. I like to think I can appreciate a bitter hop bomb, even though it is not my style. Though this is just overly bitter and tons of hot alcohol. Any brewery can make an overly bitter beer with way to much alcohol. This a prime example. If it is your thing, fine. It is not mine.

2.23/5  rDev -47.7%

22 oz. bomber delivered by LBB and tasted by myself and BelgianBeers.

Appearance: quite dark amber, good clarity, a nice layer of tan head which depletes quite slowly to a thin film

Aroma: malty and bready, very light hop scent, a touch of wet carboard (aerated at bottling!?!?), acetone, a thimblefull of coffee, not a really "overt" aroma (which is the opposite of what I expected)

Flavor: butterscotch malt sweetness up front with an interlacing off-flavor (sour milk, rancid butter?), one dimensional hop flavor and bitterness, big hit of peppery alcohol that blooms into your palate like nail polish, cardboard here too, finish is sweet with a burnt caramel aftertaste

Mouthfeel: full body, terse carbonation, alcohol warmth

Overall Impression: I don't know... might be an off bottle? Probably committing beeresy with this review, but come on! Cardboard and sour milk!? This is either not at all what I expected or completely disappointing. A case of not living up to the hype?

Not worthy? That's OK with me...

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

2.3/5  rDev -46%

Having tried AB which is now one of my favorite beers I looked forward to this bottle.

Poured dark amber, clear, with a good head. Smell was strong alcohol some malt and hops. Upon first sip I knew this was not for me at all. Way too thick, syrupy, too much alcohol taste for me to enjoy. Drinkability was way low for me since I didn't finish the bottle and poured the rest down the drain (sorry beer fans...).

A total let down, sometimes enough is enough...this was too much.

2.35/5  rDev -44.8%

Either I'm in the minority or this beer was graded on a bandwagon. I don't mind being in the minority, and I know it wasn't a bad bottle because I gave this beer a second chance after a few months just because so many others gave it a good grade. The beer had too many conflicting flavors going on without any semblance of balance.

A- honey brown with red hints, frothy white foam, descent retention and nice lacing.

S- pungent grapefruit, floral notes, caramels, lemon, grapefruit, roasted notes, and an imitation cherry hint. Booze is strong and viscous.

T- Viscous booze throughout along with imitation cherry makes for a medicinal taste watered down with woody, nutty and biscuity notes. Bitter grapefruit, lemon, and brown sugar. A boozy mess of taste with no thought of balance. Almost like a bitter barleywine with imitation cherry.

M- Rich, full bodied, sticky, dry finish with booze burn

D- Definitely a sipper. I couldn't finish it. Bitter and boozy. No sense of balance with flavors.

2.36/5  rDev -44.6%

2.4/5  rDev -43.7%

2.45/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

First of all, i'm really sorry to Greg for not liking this beer. Super sticky and syruppy. Some vanilla, with a heavy grapefruit and pine flavour. This beer is a challenge if their ever was one, especially for a "wussie" like me. A bit too in your face and unbalanced. Once again, really sorry i didn't like this, but thanks to greg from Stone for letting us have a shot at it.

2.48/5  rDev -41.8%

22 oz bottle rec'd in a trade from akorsak.

A: Pours dark rust/brownish color, with a red hue and a slight tan head. No lacing and very little retention.

S: Hops and sweet malt. Not bad.

T: Way too cloying, sweet. Entirely too boozy. More complex than their Levitation Ale, but just simply boozy. It's a shame, too. I liked the regular bastard. This seems very unbalanced. Astringent, like Listerine. Boozy like whiskey. Bitter like pepper.

M: Mouth-puckering sweet, little carbonation. Leaves a weird film in my mouth.

D: Too extreme to enjoy. It is an attempt, but they failed IMO. Just because it's big, doesn't make it good. This beer is truely "big and BAD."

2.48/5  rDev -41.8%

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

This is a 2004 release procured in 2006 from Joseph's in Toledo. Ruby mahogany type colour after pouring. Beige head with some density. Lacing, but of course.

The nose smells half rotted and burnt sugar spritzed. Faint hop florality but covered in sickening sugar tones. I see where cardboard phrasing comes from.

Taste is burried in grainy sugar tones that make me want to vomit. Burnt brown sugar on top of rot. Somewhat alcoholic and maybe bitter, but the sickening sweetness is just too much for me. Horrid. Initially, I tought the age of this brew might have caused this super malted diseased flavour, but now I am not so sure.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy. It approaches chewy at times.

Drinkability is not good. This tastes like dirty feet. This is some nasty, cloying, grit peppered waste. I thought this was the new one. I am overly curious to try one of these in an uncellared fresh state but I am almost affraid to.

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

On the evening of the last full moon of winter 2007 in Westwood, NJ, the Double Bastard finally finds its way to my lips...

Served from an exquisitely screen printed 22oz bomber at cellar temperature into a Duvel tulip -- my tasting glass of choice.

A - Gluggingly thick in the pour, and medium brown with ruby highlights in the look. Pushes up a beautiful, foamy, inch-thick head that makes a thick ring around the edge of the glass. Lacing is fairly good, and head retention is average.

S - Sweet, mild caramel, and orange-tangerine citrus all dropped into a pot with cold, evergreen broth. Tickling (taunting?) notes of alcohol. Molasses biscuits with pecans.

T - Tongue-stinging alcohol-laced carbonation hits the tongue on a wave of mild malt sweetness. Isopropyl vapor fills my mouth, putting me on the verge of gasping for air. West coast hops grab hold in the back, struggling to regain control of the situation -- and succeed only barely. Astringent in the throat and bitter without relenting. Over the top and with no subtelty.

M - The alcohol sting does not help the fact that the carbonation is a bit on the aggressive side. Slightly numbing, and puffy in texture. The swallow is foamy and filling.

D - Next to the regular Arrogant Bastard, this beer is complete shit. It took a wonderful, balanced recipe with big, delicious character and injected it with steroids and methamphetamines, turning it into an out of balance monstrosity with only fair redeeming value once your tongue gets numb and your head gets light. It's not entirely undrinkable -- I intend to finish the bottle over the course of a couple of hours, sipping it like I would a spirit -- but if you've got the money for just one Stone beer, this one is NOT it.

EDIT: To qualify this rating, many people would say that this ber needs to be aged before it gets really good and mellows out. Well, that may be true. But, in my opinion, if it's not ready, then don't release it until it is, or at least mention on the bottle that it *should* be aged rather then consumed immediately.

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.