Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
2.23/5  rDev -47.8%

22 oz. bomber delivered by LBB and tasted by myself and BelgianBeers.

Appearance: quite dark amber, good clarity, a nice layer of tan head which depletes quite slowly to a thin film

Aroma: malty and bready, very light hop scent, a touch of wet carboard (aerated at bottling!?!?), acetone, a thimblefull of coffee, not a really "overt" aroma (which is the opposite of what I expected)

Flavor: butterscotch malt sweetness up front with an interlacing off-flavor (sour milk, rancid butter?), one dimensional hop flavor and bitterness, big hit of peppery alcohol that blooms into your palate like nail polish, cardboard here too, finish is sweet with a burnt caramel aftertaste

Mouthfeel: full body, terse carbonation, alcohol warmth

Overall Impression: I don't know... might be an off bottle? Probably committing beeresy with this review, but come on! Cardboard and sour milk!? This is either not at all what I expected or completely disappointing. A case of not living up to the hype?

Not worthy? That's OK with me...

GreenCard, Apr 23, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -47.3%

PSU_Mike, May 29, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -47.3%

NonicPanic, Jun 02, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -46.1%

Having tried AB which is now one of my favorite beers I looked forward to this bottle.

Poured dark amber, clear, with a good head. Smell was strong alcohol some malt and hops. Upon first sip I knew this was not for me at all. Way too thick, syrupy, too much alcohol taste for me to enjoy. Drinkability was way low for me since I didn't finish the bottle and poured the rest down the drain (sorry beer fans...).

A total let down, sometimes enough is enough...this was too much.

unionturf, Oct 02, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -45%

Either I'm in the minority or this beer was graded on a bandwagon. I don't mind being in the minority, and I know it wasn't a bad bottle because I gave this beer a second chance after a few months just because so many others gave it a good grade. The beer had too many conflicting flavors going on without any semblance of balance.

A- honey brown with red hints, frothy white foam, descent retention and nice lacing.

S- pungent grapefruit, floral notes, caramels, lemon, grapefruit, roasted notes, and an imitation cherry hint. Booze is strong and viscous.

T- Viscous booze throughout along with imitation cherry makes for a medicinal taste watered down with woody, nutty and biscuity notes. Bitter grapefruit, lemon, and brown sugar. A boozy mess of taste with no thought of balance. Almost like a bitter barleywine with imitation cherry.

M- Rich, full bodied, sticky, dry finish with booze burn

D- Definitely a sipper. I couldn't finish it. Bitter and boozy. No sense of balance with flavors.

JayS2629, Jan 12, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -42.6%

First of all, i'm really sorry to Greg for not liking this beer. Super sticky and syruppy. Some vanilla, with a heavy grapefruit and pine flavour. This beer is a challenge if their ever was one, especially for a "wussie" like me. A bit too in your face and unbalanced. Once again, really sorry i didn't like this, but thanks to greg from Stone for letting us have a shot at it.

rastaman, Aug 17, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -41.9%

22 oz bottle rec'd in a trade from akorsak.

A: Pours dark rust/brownish color, with a red hue and a slight tan head. No lacing and very little retention.

S: Hops and sweet malt. Not bad.

T: Way too cloying, sweet. Entirely too boozy. More complex than their Levitation Ale, but just simply boozy. It's a shame, too. I liked the regular bastard. This seems very unbalanced. Astringent, like Listerine. Boozy like whiskey. Bitter like pepper.

M: Mouth-puckering sweet, little carbonation. Leaves a weird film in my mouth.

D: Too extreme to enjoy. It is an attempt, but they failed IMO. Just because it's big, doesn't make it good. This beer is truely "big and BAD."

guinnessfan, Apr 18, 2007

bertcat9000, Jul 27, 2012

ConradKenney, May 12, 2014

bryc9194, Feb 18, 2014

arash1000, Dec 27, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

This is a 2004 release procured in 2006 from Joseph's in Toledo. Ruby mahogany type colour after pouring. Beige head with some density. Lacing, but of course.

The nose smells half rotted and burnt sugar spritzed. Faint hop florality but covered in sickening sugar tones. I see where cardboard phrasing comes from.

Taste is burried in grainy sugar tones that make me want to vomit. Burnt brown sugar on top of rot. Somewhat alcoholic and maybe bitter, but the sickening sweetness is just too much for me. Horrid. Initially, I tought the age of this brew might have caused this super malted diseased flavour, but now I am not so sure.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy. It approaches chewy at times.

Drinkability is not good. This tastes like dirty feet. This is some nasty, cloying, grit peppered waste. I thought this was the new one. I am overly curious to try one of these in an uncellared fresh state but I am almost affraid to.

SupaCelt, Feb 11, 2006

jaswilson2, Nov 12, 2013

OleDixie, Jan 31, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

On the evening of the last full moon of winter 2007 in Westwood, NJ, the Double Bastard finally finds its way to my lips...

Served from an exquisitely screen printed 22oz bomber at cellar temperature into a Duvel tulip -- my tasting glass of choice.

A - Gluggingly thick in the pour, and medium brown with ruby highlights in the look. Pushes up a beautiful, foamy, inch-thick head that makes a thick ring around the edge of the glass. Lacing is fairly good, and head retention is average.

S - Sweet, mild caramel, and orange-tangerine citrus all dropped into a pot with cold, evergreen broth. Tickling (taunting?) notes of alcohol. Molasses biscuits with pecans.

T - Tongue-stinging alcohol-laced carbonation hits the tongue on a wave of mild malt sweetness. Isopropyl vapor fills my mouth, putting me on the verge of gasping for air. West coast hops grab hold in the back, struggling to regain control of the situation -- and succeed only barely. Astringent in the throat and bitter without relenting. Over the top and with no subtelty.

M - The alcohol sting does not help the fact that the carbonation is a bit on the aggressive side. Slightly numbing, and puffy in texture. The swallow is foamy and filling.

D - Next to the regular Arrogant Bastard, this beer is complete shit. It took a wonderful, balanced recipe with big, delicious character and injected it with steroids and methamphetamines, turning it into an out of balance monstrosity with only fair redeeming value once your tongue gets numb and your head gets light. It's not entirely undrinkable -- I intend to finish the bottle over the course of a couple of hours, sipping it like I would a spirit -- but if you've got the money for just one Stone beer, this one is NOT it.

EDIT: To qualify this rating, many people would say that this ber needs to be aged before it gets really good and mellows out. Well, that may be true. But, in my opinion, if it's not ready, then don't release it until it is, or at least mention on the bottle that it *should* be aged rather then consumed immediately.

EPseja, Mar 03, 2007

hoppyboy69, Oct 02, 2013

GreyGhost4, Feb 05, 2012

Sinewave, Jan 01, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

Honestly, I had to double check this beer was fresh I found it so unenjoyable. But being bottled on 9/06/13 an 11% ABV beer should be fresher than fresh. Just a gross alcohol malt bomb with hardly any hop bitterness that isn't just completely burned to shit by all the alcohol taste. Sort of syrupy, and I have no idea how this is classified as ASA rather than a Barleywine. This almost makes me not want to try to the Southern Charred that should be hitting shelves soon.

laglocal, Nov 25, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -39.1%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into N'Ice Chouffe stemware in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and great retention for the high ABV. Colour is a dark caramel brown. Semitransparent. Appealing.

Sm: Grapefruit is dominant, with some candied sugar, yeast, and other vague citrus esters. Aroma is mild in strength. It's alright, but it doesn't really jump out and grab me.

T: Pleasant grapefruit is the first thing I notice. The caramel and HEAVY candy sugar, however, are not so pleasant. They do help cover the alcohol - which I don't notice, but it's too sweet overall. I feel like my teeth are rotting with every sip. It's anything but balanced; it needs to tame the candy sugar considerably. It's built alright, but it's far from a good beer.

Mf: Tingly and overly soft from the candy sugar abundance. It's abnormally, artificially soft and it really bothers me. Also, it's too thick.

Dr: They seemed to build the beer around hiding the ABV, and in that respect it succeeds. But the insane amount of candied sugar hides the best aspects of the beer: the citrusy notes and yeast. It may be worth a try for hardcore fans of Belgian beers that rely on candied sugar, but I think most middle of the road beer drinkers will be as turned off as I was.

kojevergas, Nov 18, 2011
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.