Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,211 | Reviews: 2,055
2.21/5  rDev -48.1%

22 oz. bomber delivered by LBB and tasted by myself and BelgianBeers.

Appearance: quite dark amber, good clarity, a nice layer of tan head which depletes quite slowly to a thin film

Aroma: malty and bready, very light hop scent, a touch of wet carboard (aerated at bottling!?!?), acetone, a thimblefull of coffee, not a really "overt" aroma (which is the opposite of what I expected)

Flavor: butterscotch malt sweetness up front with an interlacing off-flavor (sour milk, rancid butter?), one dimensional hop flavor and bitterness, big hit of peppery alcohol that blooms into your palate like nail polish, cardboard here too, finish is sweet with a burnt caramel aftertaste

Mouthfeel: full body, terse carbonation, alcohol warmth

Overall Impression: I don't know... might be an off bottle? Probably committing beeresy with this review, but come on! Cardboard and sour milk!? This is either not at all what I expected or completely disappointing. A case of not living up to the hype?

Not worthy? That's OK with me...

2.24/5  rDev -47.4%

A: Pours a clear ruby red/brown color. A two finger beige head forms. The wispy foam has good retention, and some lace is left behind.
S: Bitter grapefruit hops up front and dominate. Toasted caramel malt lingers. Lots of fusel alcohol in the nose. Really, an ethanol drenched grapefruit with a little sugar added.
T: Bitter grapefruit and alcohol is the dominate flavor. Burnt toast. A light sweetness lingers, but very light. I can really taste the alcohol here. Just to much of everything, but balance and nuance. Nothing come togther well at all.
M/D: A full body with low carbonation. Really sticky. It feels like an adhesive is sticking to the roof of my mouth. Tons of fusel alcohol. Add the high amount of bitterness, and this is unpleasant to drink.

I am not a fan at all. I like to think I can appreciate a bitter hop bomb, even though it is not my style. Though this is just overly bitter and tons of hot alcohol. Any brewery can make an overly bitter beer with way to much alcohol. This a prime example. If it is your thing, fine. It is not mine.

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

2.36/5  rDev -44.6%

2.36/5  rDev -44.6%

Having tried AB which is now one of my favorite beers I looked forward to this bottle.

Poured dark amber, clear, with a good head. Smell was strong alcohol some malt and hops. Upon first sip I knew this was not for me at all. Way too thick, syrupy, too much alcohol taste for me to enjoy. Drinkability was way low for me since I didn't finish the bottle and poured the rest down the drain (sorry beer fans...).

A total let down, sometimes enough is enough...this was too much.

2.4/5  rDev -43.7%

2.43/5  rDev -43%

Either I'm in the minority or this beer was graded on a bandwagon. I don't mind being in the minority, and I know it wasn't a bad bottle because I gave this beer a second chance after a few months just because so many others gave it a good grade. The beer had too many conflicting flavors going on without any semblance of balance.

A- honey brown with red hints, frothy white foam, descent retention and nice lacing.

S- pungent grapefruit, floral notes, caramels, lemon, grapefruit, roasted notes, and an imitation cherry hint. Booze is strong and viscous.

T- Viscous booze throughout along with imitation cherry makes for a medicinal taste watered down with woody, nutty and biscuity notes. Bitter grapefruit, lemon, and brown sugar. A boozy mess of taste with no thought of balance. Almost like a bitter barleywine with imitation cherry.

M- Rich, full bodied, sticky, dry finish with booze burn

D- Definitely a sipper. I couldn't finish it. Bitter and boozy. No sense of balance with flavors.

2.45/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

First of all, i'm really sorry to Greg for not liking this beer. Super sticky and syruppy. Some vanilla, with a heavy grapefruit and pine flavour. This beer is a challenge if their ever was one, especially for a "wussie" like me. A bit too in your face and unbalanced. Once again, really sorry i didn't like this, but thanks to greg from Stone for letting us have a shot at it.

2.48/5  rDev -41.8%

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.