Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros

Johnny_Duck, Mar 01, 2014

szmnnl99, Mar 24, 2012

KnowYourCraft, Jul 16, 2014

Lucnifter, Dec 31, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Until I drank this beer I didn't realize that I was such a masochist...I'm glad that Stone is out there to teach me such valuable life lessons. Dark brown pour with a thick and frost head with nice lacing left behind. Big citrus and caramel aroma with a similar flavor. Alcohol very prominent, but not unpleasantly so. Always a fun beer to trick your friends into drinking without being properly prepared!

Wackyfoot, Mar 25, 2009

aoampm, Jun 30, 2014

wils1705, Aug 04, 2014

schnarr84, Jan 31, 2013
4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber (2012 bottling, bought in October 2012) served in a Duvel Tulip.

Appearance: Translucent deep amber-copper color. 1/4" thick foam at pouring died down to thin foam across the top. Persistent strands of lacing, a few sheets of lacing here and there.

Smell: Surprisingly not a strong smelling beer. With a swirl you get some alcohol notes that make you think of barrel aging. Some citrus/lemony hops under the alcohol and malt sweetness.

Taste: Starts off with a lot of hop flavors well blended with malt sweetness. I got pine and grapefruit and orange peel mixed in with caramel malt and a deep sweetness for balance. This blended flavor then transitions into more of the malt and then a long lingering bitterness that really smacks you around. It's a strong bitterness, not overpowering, but strong. Piney, herbal, grassy, earthy, spicy too. Complex bitterness would be a good way to describe the finish. Definitely a slow sipping beer for savoring, but that bitterness can really dominate the palate. And domination is the right word - it rules the tongue and dictates what it senses at the end of the swallow. I feel that the words on the back of the bottle "one lacerative muther of an ale" are true to form for that finish.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and thick. Just right carbonation. A little bit sticky on the teeth.

Overall / Drinkability: Well...I drank the whole 22oz bottle by myself. I met the bastard and the bastard did set me free. For such a strong and bitter beer, it keeps inviting you to drink more and it kept smacking me around with every sip. And yet I savored it despite that strong bitter finish and abuse of my palate. It reminds me a bit of the Stone Ruination ale for what it's doing to my tongue right now. Drinkability is good, and I have a feeling I'm going to regret it later. But....that strong bitterness I could see as a love it or hate it feeling early on in the beer. Either you embrace it and succumb to the domination of the bitterness with this beer, or you reject it early on and find something else to drink. I chose to take it all in, but I can see myself also on another occasion saying no and stopping early on. I think the only weak spot with this beer is that the aroma is weak. Otherwise its well crafted and worth a try. See if you can hold up to the onslaught and succumb to it - I'm glad I tried it and I suspect I would take up the challenge again.

damndirtyape, Mar 10, 2013
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.