Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
BMoney575

Sampled 12-11-06
2006 Edition

Smooth pour out of the bottle, deep red color with a nice amber head.

Strong aroma of hops, with other smells of citrus fruit and little smokiness.

Taste is good, until the alcohol hits. Smoky malt at first, and then a huge hop hit. But, whatever good flavors come out at the beginning are totally covered up by the brutal alcohol punch-in-the-teeth at the end. Extremely unbalanced, and almost difficult to drink.

Mouthfeel is decent, hard to keep it in your mouth long enough to get a good idea.

Drinkability is not good. Prevalent alcohol bite overwhelms the good points of the beer.

Overall I was disappointed with this beer, which was a surprise because I like more extreme brews. I probably won't try this again unless it has aged for a while.

12-13-2006 02:43:08 | More by BMoney575
RedHaze

Nebraska

2007 Release.

Pours a deep mahogany with a dense two finger head that fades slowly to a solid cap. The lacing is very sticky, leaving a thick sheeting of foam behind.

Smell; brown sugar and caramel malts dominate this one, but there's also a mild undercurrent of some fruits. Oranges and peaches, with a toch of cherries. Some alcohol adds a bit of spiciness to the aroma.

Taste; sweet, with brown sugar, caamel and sugar covered dates and then a big wave of hop bitterness kicks you in the mouth. The fruits are present, but are a bit harder to pick out idue to a harsh bitter, almost metallic taste, with an overpoweringly strong alcohol presence. .

Mouthfeel is full bodied and a bit on the syrupy/sticky side, and the drinkability is low due to the big alcohol presence and off metallic flavor.

03-05-2008 01:29:00 | More by RedHaze
pants678

2.65/5  rDev -37.9%

All kinds of cloudy with an eggshell head, body is an orangish brown sugar color.

Weak aroma of orange and peppermint.

A boozy quad is what it comes off as initially. There would be a very clean finish were it not for the soapy alcohol. A grainy cinnamon, pine base holds up tinges of grapefruit with an offsetting mint with the strongest hops. I can't help but sip at it, the alcohol is too much.

Little heavier than medium bodied. The creamy texture seems off-base, but not problematic. A Belgian kind of smooth carbonation. Still, not at all easy-going.

12-05-2010 04:09:59 | More by pants678
JBogan

Nevada

2.65/5  rDev -37.9%

Poured a dark amber color with little to no head and no lacing. Not a very impressive start.

Smelled mostly of alcohol and some pine. Maybe a tiny bit of citrus.

Tasted like the smell. Not nearly as complex as I was expecting. Mainly alcohol dominated with some pine thrown in. I even waited a while for it to warm but really the only thing that seemed to get stronger was the alcohol taste.

Good mouthfeel. Very smooth with a medium to slightly thick body. Not much carbonation however.

I couldn't see drinking very many of these. It just didn't beckon me back for another round.

A friend of mine from Europe visited this site recently and commented that he felt that a lot of folks seemed to give high marks for a beer based mainly on the machismo factor, a high ABV content. After reading the reviews of this beer and then tasting it, that's the first thought that came to my mind. I will revisit this beer again for another try, not because I wanted more, but because perhaps I had a bad bottle. I'm definitely in the minority here but this beer was quite a letdown from what I was expecting.

11-25-2007 22:58:46 | More by JBogan
Reagan1984

2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

Very aggressive and foamy beige head appears above a mahogany or cherry wood colored beer. The beer is totally translucent and shows no visible carbonation. The head has excellent retention and there is a nice amount of lacing.

Aroma is of alcohol and ripe fruits. Getting that ripe pineapple sense I get sometimes. Also some of the classic Arrogant Bastard malt aroma.. Not sure how to describe it, but it's distinctive.

I have to admit, I shared one of these the other night with a buddy and I just loved it. Truth be told I'm a big Arrogant Bastard fan... It was a little later in the night and I did enjoy it... Didn't review as I knew my palate was fried...

Now I have to say as the first beer of the day it's not as enjoyable. It's a bit hot and the alcohol is front and center. My beer fridge is set at 46 degrees. I let it sit out for about 10 minutes first. So it's not too cold. BA says to serve between 45 - 50 degrees. I am right there... The flavor starts with a strong alcohol flavor. After this (and the warming effect) you get some deep rich malt. Hop bitterness comes in, but is quickly taken over by the strong alcohol again. I have to say, I am sitting here and am quite disappointed. I am thinking this bad boy needs some aging...to mellow.

Mouth feel is as if you are drinking a strong VODKA drink....

Drinkability is not so great. Am I really writing this about an Arrogant Bastard and a Stone product? I can't believe it....

Color me disappointed. I have to go get a regular Arrogant Bastard to ensure I'm not going crazy...

12-04-2008 23:56:25 | More by Reagan1984
bigdeuce

2.7/5  rDev -36.8%

Nice red, frothy pour and tons of lacing on the glass. Not overly hoppy to me, maybe I got a bad bottle but extremely sweet and very boozy. Had some hop character and some cherries, plums and such, but dominated by alcohol. Had trouble finishing the bottle. I'd have to give arrogant bastard the nod against the double bastard.

08-20-2007 02:20:43 | More by bigdeuce
kegerator

Maryland

2.73/5  rDev -36.1%

was alittle disppointed in this one.
poured out a dark copper with amber hues and a 1 inch creamy off shite head that left nice lacing.
smell was faint at first but with warmth and a swirl i was able to detect some malt and slight fruitiness.
taste was strange to me. big malt hit then fizzled off quickly and just left bitterness. starnge thing is i did not really smell a lot of hop in the aroma at all. the hop had no real flavor either just left bitterness on the tongue and a burning feeling on the sides of the mouth and in the stomach. alcohol was not really noticeable.
I drank it but contemplated pouring it out. I would not waste any money on this one again.

02-02-2005 13:21:36 | More by kegerator

Missouri

11-30-2012 05:30:37 | More by Punkyg0608
codewarrior

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%

22oz Bomber poured into a Snifter. 2010 vintage.

Directions on the bottle indicate to age at cellar temperature (55 degrees) or colder. Perhaps I would enjoy it more with some years on it. Have another one in the cellar, we'll see if it's any better in a bit.

L: Reddish brown and clear. 2-fingers too-thick head. Given the price, and the look, this seems filtered, probably not conditioned.

S: Lots and lots of hops with a touch of sweet malt behind. Pretty thin smelling. Way too hoppy for a beer to be aged. Perhaps that's what happens when you age this, the hops disappear and the beer begins to make sense.

T: Extremely bitter, far too much so. Beer is shallow as a result, and finish is unbearably hoppy. This beer is at least 100 IBU fresh, with no thought to balance or flavor.

F: Thin. I'm not understanding this beer, really.

D: Maybe in 5 years it will make sense? Chess, not checkers. I'll revisit this a few times over the next years and see if it makes a difference.

11-26-2010 23:43:26 | More by codewarrior
beerceller99

Louisiana

2.78/5  rDev -34.9%

22 oz. Nov. 2003 bottling. Pours a rust color with an off white head that fades to a smattering of sheen. Smells bready, yeasty, with plums and spicy alcohol. Lightly carbonated with a sticky, syrupy mouthfeel. Has a fruit juice bittersweet caramel flavor with a strong grapefruit hop and alcohol taste to finish.
This brew doesn't cut it as a Barleywine. The Bastard is best quaffed in it's original ( and more drinkable ) formula.
Maybe a couple years of cellaring will help.

10-31-2004 16:57:28 | More by beerceller99
anarchia

Oregon

2.81/5  rDev -34.2%

Thin white head, dark ruby color. Aroma is faint pine with lots of fruits, along with an unfortunate(to me) cherry cough syrup smell. Very thick in the mouth, syrupy. Taste is cherries, caramel, wood, grapefruit. Extremely bitter of course, starts within a second of sipping and stays around, coating your mouth with bitterness for an extended time. Some nice flavors before the bitterness takes over but I can't say I care for the bitterness or the syrupy feel in the mouth. Others may be more worthy than me.

11-27-2013 04:27:39 | More by anarchia
Intimidtor

2.83/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured from 22 oz bomber and was highly anticipating this beer. Great smell decent apperance. Blah! Strong overpowering alcohol bite. I know this is a strong Ale but this is beyond belief. Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah! Not for me! Im done with these Arrogant and Double Bastard beers. PS: I love Stone's Ruination.

12-18-2009 03:29:58 | More by Intimidtor
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%

served into a nonic glass from a 22oz. brown bomber crimped-cap

Mirky,deep reddish/brown,looks a bit like apple cider.2'' thick off-white head,very dense and creamy leaving a thick pillow of foam sitting on top of the beer. Very good retention,leaving thick rings of lace down the sides of the glass.

Good moderate, complex aromas with a good balance,Citrusy,piney,clean,a dark fruitty nose a hint of plums,also a hint of pineapple.

An intense sweet malty taste thats very syrupy,hot alcohol tastes. An intense citrus rind bite,very grapefruitty,a resiny and an oily hop feel
A clean mid taste,finishes with a balanced blast of carmell and citrus/pine. Fruitty overtones throughout the taste. The bitterness was like chewing on lemon rinds.No bad tastes jusy a bit much for my tastes.

A thick,cloying mouthfeel,very sticky.rough on the palate.
Started to get a bit more drinkable, just too overpowering of a taste.
Had a hard time finishing this bomber. An overrated beer in my opinion.

01-23-2007 04:23:31 | More by jcdiflorio
CraftBeerTastic

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

Ba Review #88
Served On: 11/15/2011
Glassware: Snifter Glass
Labeled ABV: 10.5%
Date/ Code: 2011 Release

Snagged up two 22oz bombers from the Ye Old Spirit Shop in Frederick, Md.

Look: Muddy brown with a deep red hue when swirling the glass. Head was a dense tan foam with excellent retention given the high ABV.

Smell: A candy sugar with some heavy sweet malts and a super ripe grapefruit note. Extremely pungent, almost like a barley wine.

Taste: First on the palate was a sweet dark cherry with heavy sugars that quickly tuned into an extreme hop bitterness in the middle. Then ripe grapefruit hit for a split second, followed by an intense dry and lingering bitter finish. No real alcohol heat, but that's not enough to save this one in my eyes.

Honestly? This beer was certainly not what I was expecting. I felt the overall character was reminiscent of a typical barley wine with some added bitterness and grapefruit. I can see where the middle was basically an Arrogant Bastard x2. The beginning and the end completely threw me off. The extreme sweetness and the high level of bitterness did not add up to anything special to me. Very disappointing – especially with a $10.00 price tag. Thanks anyway Stone.

11-16-2011 02:10:42 | More by CraftBeerTastic
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.