Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,300 | Reviews: 2,073
3.18/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer was totally different from any beer I have ever tasted. It kind of kicked my ass. Very strong alcohol taste. Burned going down like a shot of whiskey. It was good, but not what I'm looking for in a beer. I can see how some other people might like it , but it's not for me.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

Bomber. Poured a deep copper with a fairly decent head that stuck around, leaving some lacing behind. Aroma is very malty with plenty of hops. Taste is well.... some people can find malt in there, well all I taste is hops, hops and more hops. Mouthfeel starts out smooth and mildly sweet, then what rears it's mightly head? hops, hops, and more hops! To me this is just another IPA, more than a Strong/old ale. A true hop lovers dream. But for me it is just overpoweringly bitter.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%

2013 vintage. Bottled on 9/14/13. 22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a hazy copper with a fluffy off-white head that fades and leaves great lacing and retention. The aromas are loaded with sweet caramel malts. Lots of orange zest. Lots of lemon. The flavors are extremely bold. Tons of caramel with hints of toffee. There's a nice amount of citrus. It's pretty boozy. Lots of pine resin. The malts and hops are definitely battling eachother for supremacy. It's pretty spicy. It finishes hot. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's full-bodied with active carbonation. Very smooth and creamy. Alcohol is definitely noticeable. This is a quintessential sipper.

This beer is named appropriately. I've had it before, but never this fresh. It's a hardcore brew. It's ultimately just a huge beer. There's too many alcohol notes for my taste. It's still fun to drink. I will say it starts off rough around the edges, but it comes together the more you drink it. It's well crafted though, just like all of Stone's beers. I absolutely understand the appeal. This beer is a good one to throw in the cellar. I might re-review this one with an aged bottle in the future.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I've really enjoyed everything I've had by Stone--a lot--except for this beer, which I've now had once several months aged, and once very fresh. I will give it credit for being a unique experience, and certainly an arrogant one (even doubly arrogant), but it's a bit like drinking watered-down caramel syrup mixed with Robitussin and ethyl alcohol. I finished it, and certainly preferred the fresh version, but it was more a chore and duty than a real pleasure. I've had bigger beers, even a couple much bigger beers, and I found them easier to drink and tastier than this one. I've also had Stone's IRS, Old Guardian, Ruin 10, which are similar, at least, in terms of their size; and enjoyed them all vastly more. Indeed, one or two of them are among my very favorites. But this one's just a little too much (of syrupy medicinal malts) for me.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%

2008 vintage, standard 22oz bomber.

I wish I could bring myself to like this beer, but I can't. The alcohol muddles all of the fruit flavors, and the hops are way out of control (out of control not in a hop-bomb kind of way, but in a sickly sweet alpha acid juice kind of way). Way too young to drink. Definitely needs some age on it. Could be a great beer in the future, but right now I'm not a fan.

3.22/5  rDev -24.4%

We really wanted to love it but...it's palatable for slugheads

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A little too malty and extremely boozy

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

2011 Release, 22 ounce bomber. I've had my Double Bastard glasses for almost 6 months now. This is the first time I've had a chance to pour Double Bastard into one of them. Kinda cool, in a very beer-geeky way.

A: Pours a hazy murky brown color with a thin white head that dissipated quickly.

S: A lot more caramel malt and bisquit sweetness than I remember... Hops seem, dare I say, lacking? How old is this? I thought DB's release was fairly recent... [edit: the website says the release date was Oct 17, making this beer about 1.5 months old)

T: Well, there's certainly more hops on the palatte than in the nose. But a lack of grapefruit/citrus here. Very earthy/piney, and the malt backbone is BIG. Alcohol is not hidden, either.

The first thing I notice is pinecone, which I find unusual because that's usually near the end of the flavor, from my experiences. THe malt backbone then walks in and really takes over. This beer finishes with a strong twinge of alcohol and some hop-bitterness on the finish. The caramel malt is the most dominant of the flavors.

M: Hefty and frothy, this beer "creams up" in the mouth in a way I usually expect a good belgian to. Odd, but not displeasing. Alcohol-burn is certainly present. Carbonation seems low.

D/O: Stone is my favorite brewery, but I gotta be honest: this was kinda disappointing. Too much malt, too sweet and too boozy... I'm not saying I'll never try it again, but I am saying I'm not really looking forward to cracking the other bottle I have in my fridge any time soon.

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

ok, here i go, ton of hype for this beer as with most of Stones Limited Releases, ....

A - ruby reddish brownish conglomerate with a thin tan head that disspates rapidly, scant slow carbonation snakes its way up the glass

S - aroma packs an alcoholic punch, big alocohl and grapefruit aromas, sweet subtlety to it as well, but mostly just alcohol

T - hmmm, kinda leaves me hanging, nice flavor, but the only strength is again in the alcohol, slight grapefruittiness, a nice flavor and brew, but this was hyped a little much for me, but still a quality brew, and it did get better as it warmed up

M&D - light bodied and a little big on the alcohol, which will draw from the drinkability, but a decent brew, was just expecting a bit more flavor

i may have to grab another bottle to age, i heard its better that way

3.26/5  rDev -23.5%

2010 vintage.
Looks good. solid cap at first, leaves lacing, there is just a bit of hazy action, cinnamon amber color.
Aroma is pleasent but not a standout, there is caramel and cherry notes but they seem rather diminished. I swirled the glass and tried pouring a bit more in pretty vigerous, and got some more Citrus hints, but they fought to stay hidden.
The hops come through alot more in the flavors, and citrus is most prominant, but this is in no way a bitter beer, there is to much sweet brown sugar and caramel going on over the top of the citrus. The cherry notes are still here, pokes out everywhere they gets the chance it seems. Kinda syrupy.

I like this beer, but it's not something i wait eagerly for, or pick up often.

3.27/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance - nice amber with a thick head in the beginning

Smell - I like the strong hop aromas, but could quickly tell this was going to be more hoppy for my taste

Taste - come on now, how about a little more balance?

Mouthfeel - piercing

Drinkability - personally, I would not get this one again, will keep some in the cooler for friends who like the style and quality, but, give me more malt

3.28/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Merci Psychprof! Clear copper hue over which lies an off-white head. Aroma is very harsh on alcohol surprisingly so. It took me a while to get over those vapors and get to studying the rest which had a big caramelic malt profile and a fruitiness approaching orange or watermelon. There's also an earthy/peaty aspect in there, but of course, besides alcohol, the bold hops dominate. In mouth, there's evidently intense hoppy grapefruit juice, caramel, crystal malt and still a moderate alcohol taste. Finish is huge, monstruously bitter, mouth-grabbing, memorable for a while. Mouthfeel is rather thick, closing onto syrup. Definitely worth a try to experiment it, but masochism as they say, is to be consumed in moderate amount. Not quite my bag, give me an Old Numbskull or HOTD Fred if I want a hoppy barley wine. I'll never brush my teeths again.

3.29/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Meh... this is over-rated, you knuckas!

22 oz bomber. 2008 version

Pours a deep, rich-looking mahogany brown body. Hazy. Off-white, foamy head slowly fades with nice lacing. Good looking

Smells up front of alcohol and hops. Pine. Little bit of malt in there as well.

First thing that hits my palate is the alcohol, very aggressive. Hint of caramel malt, splash of citrus, followed by the hops. Spicy as well, probably due to the alcohol content. It's certainly warming, and the alcohol isn't THAT overwhelming, but it's definitely dominant on my palate right now. Oddly enough, the mouthfeel is a little watery. Just a little.

It's not undrinkable by any means, but it's not one of the more drinkable strong ales out there.

Overall, I have to admit I was disappointed. Aside from the appearance, which I felt was superb. Stone has such a great line of brews and I feel that this is towards the bottom. It's not bad, by any means at all... it's just (in my experiences) I feel the Arrogant Bastard is a better strong ale, as well as the past Double Bastards. However, it is an enjoyable brew and due to it's alcohol content, it has a welcome warming during these cold nights.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at the local shoprite which has recently opened up a liquor department. Not sure how long this has been sitting on the shelf:

It has a nice smooth red copper appearance with a non-heady pour. I was expecting this to be a way too strong IPA, but its not and i was pleasantly surprised. Sometimes the high alcohol content makes me feel like I'm drinking vodka and not a beer. But i felt this was just right. And while this may not be the best IPA I've had this year, month or week; its certainly not that bad.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Sampled & reviewed on 2/24/07:

Ap: Medium pour brings 1/2 finger of tannish head. Head persists nicely. Nice rust/dark copper color. Slightly cloudy. Medium carbonation.

Ar: Fruits hit the nose initially followed by sweet malt & then hints of alcohol. Slight notes of citrus & tangerines.

Ta: Very sweet up front followed by a boozy blast of alcohol. Wow, this is strong! ABV very evident, not well disguised. Very heavy on the bittering hops. Comes off a bit astringent IMO.

Mo: Full bodied. Chewy. Very medicinal & astringent. Bitterness leaves cloying sensation which persists for some time. Not sure about this one...

Dr: Low-medium. ABV way to noticeable & in-your-face. Could have taken better steps to to layer the high ABV with a better malt profile & less bittering hops.

Comments: Can't say I loved this. I've had some high ABV barywines, but whis was way too over the top. The bitterness was too overpowering & the sweet malt entrance too heavy. Extreme does not always result in a well balanced beer. This is definitely the case here IMHO.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

2005 release Double bastard - First let me say this beer is an entirely different beer aged. We all know hops seem to fade noticeably quarterly, but after a horrible first tasting in 2005, I persevered giving it more time. Without age, it's entirely too bitter as it's over hopped with high alpha hops without any balance making it very cloying. I don't understand hop heads and I never will, but perhaps over an aged argument, I'll listen but still disagree. This beer is insanely over hyped and overall an average beer at best without the patience of Job. After 2 years, its still slightly bitter, but a very balanced beer, somewhat similar to a slightly bitter but refined raison de extra. It's beginning to be good, beginning to be very good, but needs still more time to settle down. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice surprise but my guess is that after three years, this beer will finally be truly ready and a fantastic offering as beautiful pseudo amber, cooked sucrose treat. I taste 2 row malt for a base, munich malts, medium crystal, a little dark crystal, (I guess its possible that imp mistaking the crystal for some aromatic, biscuit or special B combo) maybe a little black patent malt or roasted barley, refined processed sugar and an American ale yeast.

Overall, this is a well brewed beer to withstand the test of time. Without time, it's a nice offering for the unrefined palette that falls prey to American micro beer marketing bias. The percentage of people that buy beer to age it is very low, thus how should I rate this beer?....

3.31/5  rDev -22.3%

Thanks to mikey771 who hooked me up with this one.

A - Brown colored (was expecting lighter) with a nice three finger head. Slow dissipation and exceptional lacing. Very nice looking brew, especially when poured into the glass.

S - For a second there I almost thought I was catching a whiff of scotch. Citris, hops, and I get a lot of alcohol on the nose.

T - Wow, much fuller flavor than I would have guessed, even after smelling. Caramel comes through very strongly on this one. Very sweet, and finishes quite bitter. Some dark fruits on this, alcohol comes in, but nicely. A little too bitter and too sweet for my liking.

M - Syrupy, full bodied. Carbonation is there, but you lose it in the fullness of this brew.

D - I couldn't finish the whole bomber. Very thick becomes hard to drink about 3/4 of the way through. Solid, but there's a limit to how much of this I can get down.

3.32/5  rDev -22.1%

2005 bottle. Pours a dark ruby color with creamy tan head. I got a nose full of candy sugar, cherry, caramel, toffee, and pungant hops. Fruity sweet, golden raisin, and an pleasant alcohol burn. Very smooth. Rolls over the tongue nicly. A fine drink, but not one of my faves.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance: Beautiful transparent golden red body with a infintesimal white head.
Aroma: Big sticky malt aroma with loads of spicyness and sap. Is this a restina?
Taste: Huge bitterness overpowers the initial pine-hop, then sweet maltiness. The bitterness grinds on for a long, long time. Way to much alcohol flavor jumping out.
Mouthfeel: Thick, fine bubbles and little hot on the alcohol. This beer is simply too thick, and too hot for me to want to have on anywhere near a regular basis.

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3rd of a pint in Brewdog Glasgow (£4.25):
Amber to orange with a big light creamy head that settles as a thin, foamy lacing round the sides.

Very hoppy with lots of spice and some yeast too. Tonnes of pine with some lighter grapefruit and tropical notes along with quite a bit of alcohol on top that started to dominate but with hints of caramel as well.

Huge amount of hops & laced with more alcohol that I was prepared for despite the fact I knew it was an 11.2% beer going in. There was quite a lot of pine and grapefruit with hints of caramel but the alcohol that started strong just takes over come the end and the flavour definitely suffers as a result of this.

Strong and bitter beer with a full body and a fairly smooth mouthfeel. There is a huge kick that I sort of expected but the balance wasn't good at all and the alcohol seems excessive just because it could be.

An alright beer at best and I felt that the beer was only about loading the flavour with a mix of hops and alcohol meaning the balance was poor and the beer was a hard on to drink with everything in your face and to the extreme. I'm glad I got to try this one but I don't think I'll be giving it a go again.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

'04 version.

Appearance is ok. Pours a beautiful mahogany with no head after a minute. Smell is a little underwhelming. Maple syrup, some citrus fruit, and pine needles are all there in small quantities, but the alcohol makes a bit too much of an appearance in my opinion. It's also got an unpleasant oxidized smell. Taste is interesting, but not up to some of the better barleywines I've had. Everything in the smell makes an appearance, though I can't taste the wet paper oxidized smell at least. Here I can say that if the alcohol was not so apparent, this would be a great beer. Malt and hops are very well balanced. There is a nice piney aftertaste and a nice deep sweet fruity taste. But after that the alcohol overwhelms you, and the aftertaste leaves you thinking you just took a tiny shot of some cheap rum. The mouthfeel is nice, very smooth and medium bodied for a barleywine. Drinkability suffers due to the alcohol, but still isn't bad. Just doesn't have enough flavor to mask the alcohol in my opinion. This is exactly why I recently changed my favorite style from American Barleywine. There's so much better beer out there.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

A: Finger of thick light tan head on top of a brown and amber mixed.

S: a bit of a citrus hop aroma. Slight sweetness. Alcohol a little. Surprisingly complex.

T: lots of caramel and a little bready. Lots of citrus hops and grapefruit. A bit bitter and alcohol present. Didn't love the taste.

M: fuller body with slightly lower carbonation.

D: This is a sipper and the mouthfeel wasn't incredible, but okay. The taste wasn't incredible.

3.37/5  rDev -20.9%

Appearance: Pours a deep amber with almost no head whatsoever. Nothing to see here.

Smell: Piney hops in the front with a slight caramel sweetness along with a good amount of alcohol. Smells very inviting, until....

Taste: Piney hops....overly bitter piney hops. That is all you get. There is no balancing sweetness, no hoppy complexity. Nothing but overly bitter piney hops. I really enjoy the Arrogant Bastard ale, but this is definitely a step backwards.

Mouthfeel: Coats the mouth a bit too much with the too bitter flavor of the beer. A less than enjoyable flavor is something you don't want sticking around for such a long time.

Drinkability: This is probably the lowest review that I have given such a highly rated beer. I was disappointed by the one dimensional taste and the high ABV makes it hard to enjoy too much. Stick with the Arrogant Bastard Ale, this is not an improvement as far as I am concerned.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

2002 Edition

Appearance - pours a murky, dank red. A thin crown of light tan bubbles manages a string of lace or two before settling to an impartial covering.

Aroma -initially some citrusy zest on the pour with some sweet fruity and boozy essences. Fades a bit after a minute but still picking some of it up.

Taste - prickly hops right out of the gate. Sweetness and alcohol quickly envelope everything, but a few moments later the hops burn back through, dry and bitter, Not as much floral to this aged bottle but still plenty of bite. Alcohol is not hidden but is well-integrated. Improves significantly as it warms, more fruit and brown sugar flavor coming through, providing some much needed depth.

Mouthfeel - smooth, good weight to it, and the carbonation picks up the beer well, giving it some spiciness.

Drinkability - this one didn't really sit well on my palate, but it'll drink.

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.