Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,038 | Hads: 6,340
3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a 20oz imperial pint.

A: Nice looking dark reddish-orange color. Massive khaki-colored head takes for ever to recede and leaves plenty of lacey goodness in its' wake.

S: Odd nose of sweet caramel and rubbing alcohol. I also noted a hint of apricots.

T: Big sweet caramel malt and sweet fruit flavors with a huge and very bitter hop bite. Some citrus fruit flavors. Alcohol is quite assertive. This guy tastes pretty boozy.

M: Spicy, tingly, prickly, sweet, and smooth, with a whack of alcohol burn.

D: Drinkability suffers due to how boozy this sucker is. The alcohol smells and flavors are very pervasive. Finishing a bomber was a bit of a chore. It wasn't bad. Not even close. Just a little hard to do. (750 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a semi-cloudy orangeish-mahogany with over an inch of light tan head that had good retention and lacing.

The aroma was mostly bitter hops with some sweet malt undertones. There was also a bit of yeasty spice hiding in there. On the tongue, alcohol was the dominant taste, followed by hops, malt and spice.

The body was pleasingly full, but a bit too sticky-sweet. Drinkability was good, but a little rough due to the alcohol taste.

Overall, a decent beer that's much better than the original AB. Certainly worth trying. (561 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

When I tried Double Bastard in Nov. of 2004. I was just getting into American craft ale. I had liked Belgians before then but was still a little hesitant about IPA's. (too strong) This beer was a turning point for me then: I really loved it and thought it was the most crazy, strongest beer I had ever had. In 12 months time I have drank so much craft brew, gotten into to crazy hoppy beers, and the IPA become my favorite style. (but I still love me them Belgians)
Upon tasting the 2005 version one of three things has happened.
1. My palette has changed so much that this isn't even that hoppy at all.
2. They changed the recipe a lot.
3. I just spent the weekend at the toronado wet hop fest and "balanced" beers will never taste hoppy again.
The rant on the back really seems uncalled for. This is a nice mellow barely wine with a bit of hop bite. I really am enjoying it but am surprised by how mellow it is, both my memory and by the rant on the bottle. That, and all the hype that there was a shortage and Bev mo has 20 cases of the stuff...worried for nothing. Anyways I think it's a combo of 1,2 and 3 for me. This beer will be now be reviewed on if I had drank it for the first time.
appearance: poured into a tulip glass, double bastard is red, blood red, but much more transparent than red wine. still it's pretty thick and the head lasts pretty long for a beer of this strength.
smell: alcohol dominates for me. work a little harder and I smell some nice malts. good for style i suppose.
taste: first taste was a shock how smooth it was, not how crazy. But it's good. Reminds me of cognac. I think Arrogant is hoppier than this one. The alcohol is dominant again....which gets more and more cloying. The beer is not sweet, nor is it hoppy. Ok there is some sweetness, but it is drowed by alcohol. VERY, alcoholic tasting.
mouthfeel: is quite watery.
drinkability: I have to be honest and say that this beer is getting on my nerves. Once a year is plenty.
Well I'm glad I had a bottle, but that Jubale in my fridge is actually sounding more fun than the rest of this bottle. I know that this beer has been changed in BA from a Double IPA, to an American Barleywine, to an American Strong Ale. I'd like to say in my mind it's almost a Winter Warmer, yes strong enough to be a barleywine. But I could see packing a bottle of this stuff on a backpacking trip. (2,390 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a snifter

A: A dark amber color with a dark tan head that almost matches. The transition in the glass from beer to froth is almost seamless, pretty impressive.

S: The aroma is expectedly hoppy with some hints of lemon and orange citrus.

T/M: Tastes predominantly hoppy from the beginning to end with bits of citrus barely noticeable and some nuttiness at the end that helps smooth out the bitterness.

If you’re in the mood for hops, just one of these should do you for a week. I really wasn’t at the time, so I’m set for a month. (561 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -19%

Thanks to the guys at Sharkies, they gave me this in an in person trade. This one had been aged a year, so I wasn't sure what to expect having never tried this one before. I remember seeing it in my BMC days and being scared away, haha.

A. A christmassy red with copper tones, semi hazy though not completely opaque. Pours a creamy white head leaves behind a beautiful off white lacing. Little activity in the body. Not a jaw dropper, but easy on the eyes none the less.

S. Pine and citrus hops, though both subdued as the bottle is over a year old. Nonetheless I must review what is in front of me. Some caramel is present as well as some sweet brown sugar.

T. Very caramelly from the start. Again the hops have died down to show some barleywine characteristics. A crunchy salty taste rise prior to a Nice soft hope kick in the end. Some heat comes through in the end as well but is not overly displeasing. Rubbery taste/feel that is displeasing however. Tried to do too much with this one

When given the chance, I will review this beer fresh to see how (1,061 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

This poured with an off-tan head with decent retention. The color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was somewhat sweet and sugary. The mouthfeel was thick and full with an extremely sweet taste, like syrup. The finish left me licking my lips and thinking about the extreme sweetness that I had experienced throughout. I just could not get past how rich it seemed and that is not my bag. (403 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Opened on 3.17.13
2011 3l swing-top bottle.

A - Pours a light hazy orange with an explosive off-white head. Great retention and streaks of lacing left on the glass.

S - A bit oxidized, and some strong sweet malts and older faded hops.

T - Just as the nose. A bit oxidized, but it really didn't take much away from the taste.

D - Tons of carbonation and a medium body.

O - Ok, the fun part was pouring the big boy bottle, but I don't think this is really the way to age a bottle. (489 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -18.5%

Reviewed from notes Oct '07
A - Reddish brown with a smallish head that left quickly.

S - Rich malty aromas. Lots of typical hop scents too, citrus pine etc.

T - Lots of hops and booze. Big. Sweet malt backbone tries to hold up to the hops and booze but fails.

M - Oily, syrupy with an alcohol burning effect.

D - Share this with many friends. I split this with one buddy and we sipped it for quite a while.

Not impressed with this beer. Just too hot and big. Didn't seem at all under control at all. Just big for the sake of being big. (541 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep amber with excellent clarity. A trace of khaki colored foam covers the majority of the top of the beer, and especially around the rim of the glass. Aroma is comprised of plenty of amber malt and a bit of alcohol. The flavor is intensely malty and alcoholic. There's a warmth on the tongue that becomes a slight burn in the fade and you are left with the aftertaste of intense maltiness. A malty alcoholic bomb. Not my thing. (435 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

Dark honey colored with a haze that makes it look thick enough to spread like butter. An orangey beige head tops it off, but disappears quickly. Aroma is light, but smells fruity and sweet with alcohol vapors rushing upward (do not pour near open flame). Flavor is sweet and big and rich. Some sweet malt and honey, hints of pear, finished with an alcohol tingle and burning on the back of the tongue and throat. Very warming and chewy flavor. I like this beer, but it tries too hard. (484 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

On tap at Melt Bar & Grilled. Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a deep amber that is mainly orange in color, mahogany looking. Slightly hazy not so clear. Has a one finger off white head that leaves fair lacing and turns into a little ring around the glass.

S - Smells of booze and hops. Lots of alcohol comes first followed by grapefruit, orange and lemon zest, and some pine. Some light sweetness going on as well.

T - Tastes of booze first and foremost. Lots of dark fruits come after with a big burst of carmely malts. Very complex. I just wish the alcohol was toned down a tad so that the dark fruits would come through more.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty heavy. Medium amount of carbonation. Mouthfeel is nice for this beer. I enjoy this part the most out of the brew.

D - You definitely feel the alcohol percentage on this beer. One pint and I could feel it slightly but I will have a few more of this until the keg is tapped. I have a bottle here at home that I hope will age well over the next few months to a year. (1,025 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

Malty, hop infused alcohol aroma. Big, foamy, cocoa colored head leaves some pretty serious lace. Mahoganny colored beer with a ruby hue, tiny bubbles lazily float to the surface. The beer is dark, but transparent which creates a really cool effect, kind of like a gem stone. Beer is slick and coats your tongue with flavor. Malt bomb up front that barely holds of the alchol. Stong bitterness kicks in half way through. There's a sweetness floating under the surface that pokes it's head out long after the last swallow. It's what I expected, a big strong american barleywine, but not my bag. (593 characters)

Now Quaffing: Stone Double Bastard ~ 650ml

Pours a deep, dark, hazy ruby with an agressive, sticky tan head. Nice webs of lacing as the beer recedes. Aroma is sweet, with noticeable hops and a light medicinal presence. Thick and smooth, with a nice malt presence in the beginning of each sip. Dark cherries with hints of alcohol followed by a citrusy hop presence, which dominates the finish, but balances out the beer on the whole. There is a slight medicinal aftertaste, which lingers a little longer than desired. Drinkability is not as good as some high abv beers I have had. (582 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from a bomber into a Stone snifter.

A-a clear caramel with a small tan head. the head dissipates rather quickly with little to no lacing.

S-Very strong caramel sweetness and noticeable alcohol. Not much on the hop side.

T-Caramelly sweetness throughout with a noticeable alcohol warmth at the end. Again, less hop character than I am used to in a Stone beer.

M-Moderate carbonation, a little thick on the tongue.

D-Too much noticeable alcohol for me to enjoy more than one.

Probably the only disappointing beer I have ever had from Stone. Well maybe this and Vertical Epic '07.

And maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had been expecting a barleywine style. This beer may be technically characterized properly as an "American strong ale" but that's not what it drinks like. To me anyway.

HV (808 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

Review #600. I'll celebrate this milestone with something bigger than usual, and an honest enthusiasm to review with no pre-judgement whatsoever.

Served from a 22oz. bomber from the 2008 Release at between fridge and cellar temperature in an imperial pint glass. At 10.5%, this should be memorable (or not)...

Appearance- Smelling more like a barleywine than anything else, this enormous beast of a beer glows a rich reddish brown and supports a wickedly supple off-white crown. There is a hint of red in the foam as well, and the retention speaks to the massive dosage of hops used in the recipe. There's some killer lacing that sticks like glue to the sides of the glass. A fruit fly literally just came out of nowhere and landed on the rim of my glass... I swear.

Smell- The instant I popped the cap, I got the whiff of Arrogant Bastard Ale cranked up a few notches... the aroma is massive, loaded with hops and malt and warning the recipient (me) of what is about to come. I am ready to give this a go.

Taste- Oh jeez... here we go. I swish, swallow, and feel the warm tingle of this beer's effects almost immediately. The hops and malts are so abundant and so overwhelming that the tongue is inundated with enough IBUs to power a small country. Yes, it's balanced all right... and the bitterness left behind at the back sides of the tongue make me keep feeling like I have to sneeze. It's actually not too far-off to compare this particular tasting experience to a year-old bottle of Bigfoot, there's a similar hop attack and malty presence here.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The viscous texture lays across the tongue and disperses nicely down the throat. I would suggest a hearty beef or game dish with this one, as the gigantic overall character calls for something big to complement it. I've survived the bottle, but haven't stood up yet... maybe I'll just sleep in this chair tonight. Cheers. (1,904 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

22oz left here by bobsy - was going to wait until he came back to share his beer with him (nice guy that I am) but it was calling me from the fridge tonight and I had to obey its beck and call (not so nice guy that I am). I owe you one Rob! Bottle states 2009 release.

Pours a murky ass reddish hue with a finger of yellowish head which dies to a collar.

Piney and citric hops buffet your nostrils first and they are followed by a bold caramel biscuit malt. Bloatloads of hops and malt join together with almost vodka-ish fusel alcohol and a touch of roast to make one hell of nose.

This is the kind of beer that, rather than caressing you and pleasing you, bitch slaps you from the get go. This is a huge beer that drinks huge. Loads of caramel maltiness, slight fruitiness with a hint of spice and earth, a touch of cocoa, biscuit, raisins. This meets a truck full of citric and piney hops which provide a harsh bitterness in the finish, which coupled with the alcohol leaves a harsh parting gift. Creamy mouthfeel with just enough bubbles to cut the syrupy-ness.

This is barleywine meets the massive hop attack of an American Strong Ale. Hard to see this as drinkable though I imagine with some significant time in the cellar it might be. You can see the genius in the melding of such mass quantities of malt and hops but at this point it's still too rough, unbalanced and just plain ol' brutish for me. (1,411 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

I'm not very good at writing reviews for beer, but I try.
This is just too flowery and bitter for my liking. Not really sure why they call it an American Strong Ale. I have really lost confidence in anything labeled as American now. (233 characters)

2010 batch.

Pours a clear amber...one finger of loose white head falls to a thin ring that leaves a few spots of lacing.

Aromas of floral hops with hints of citrus, and pine....caramelized nuts, raisins, and rubbing alcohol are present as well. Its not bad...just needs refined a little, maybe some cellar time.

Hop syrup in a rubbing alcohol base...I taste pine cones, Dr. Pepper(yuck!), soy sauce, tree bark, raisins, and caramelized nuts...oh yeah rubbing alcohol.

The mouthfeel is pleasant...full bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. There is a peppery bite, but not much heat from the alcohol.

A sipper for sure. It reminds of of boilermakers or even flaming Dr. Peppers.

I love Stone, but God I hate Dr. Pepper! (730 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Picked up at Abe's today.

A- Pretty reddish/orange ale fills the glass with substantial bubbles and carbonation. Massive effervescent head, off-white in color. Settles down to a nice cap, bit of lacing left on the sides.

S- A mixture of bready and caramel malts initially in the nose. Sweet sugars and candy yeast. An underlying piney hop bitterness rounds out the nose. Aromas are subtle.

T- Caramel malts upfront, and leads into sweet candy sugar. Brew is balanced by some earthy bittering hops, which actually keeps this beer from being cloying. Flavor ends with some bready rye taste.

M- Medium to full bodied brew with moderate carbonation. Fairly smooth drinking, slight heat from booze but not in a bad way.

O- Though I enjoyed the brew I was expecting a little more. I'd like to see some more pronounced flavors, everything was fairly mild. This Bastard has left me with a buzz although no booze is detected in this. (929 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -17.6%

Talk about over the top. I think this beer is the definition of the term.

The beer pours a deep mahogany color. Bloody red when put up to light. Menacing. A thick topping of frothy head appears from it's depths, reminding me of the foam that forms on the lips of a maddened attack dog hungry for flesh.
Aroma is heady and decadent. An onslaught upon the olfactory glands. Monstrous malt, pale with a healthy dose of crystal malt goodness. Estery fruit, with notes of black cherry, fig and apple. Some toffee. Plenty of hops, without question. What else would you expect from Stone? Alcohol is certainly present, and this beer is ready to punch your teeth out.
Flavor is incredibly malty, with tons of esters, black cherry, fig, currant, and apple. A slight peach flavor, in a brown around the edges way. Light toffee. Hops are massive of course, coming through the middle and finishing the sip. Plenty of citrus, as well as herbal qualities. A slight tang when coupled with the alcohol in the finish. Gigantic body, mild carbonation. Sort of chewy and way too sweet, particularly when the beer gets to room temperature.
It's a pretty good beer, but so completely over the top that I doubt I'll ever buy it again. The beer is just way too intense, especially at first. The flavors are well-wrought, but sort of ham-fisted, in the way that it's trying so hard to assault you with everything in it's arsenal. A kick you in the teeth, spit on your face, then get up and give me twenty kind of beer. (1,500 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -17.4%

pours dark caramel with a huge 3 finger off white head that left some spotted lacing

smell - again just like the AB had just had this beer just doesnt have much to the nose - almost nothing but a little sweet malt

taste - very close to many barleywines - extremely malty but overly sweet - nutty rich caramel toffee some vanilla - then comes the bitter citrus hops that cut the malts nicely

mouthfeel is full/heavy body that is sticky and coats your mouth - low carbonation very smooth

overall DAB is a very solid brew and i am glad i bought this beer since no 2011 SN Bigfoot was distributed in my area as of yet (618 characters)

2009 Vintage

appearance is good; a deep amber color. poured from 22oz bomber into a glass. lightly chilled about 55 degrees at pour. light carbination. thin carmel colored head that dissipated very quickly. body looks thick; lightly coated glass upon a swirl.

smell is very nice. sugary carmel, banana, fig, roasted malt, hint of bakers chocolate. 10.5% ABV but i dont get much of any alocohol nose.

taste. much of the smell comes thru in the taste. nice and complex. hops have mellowed after a year in bottle. just a light bitterness on the finish.

mouthfeel is fairly thick. bitter sweet finish that lingers just long enough to enjoy all the flavors. very well ballanced.

drinkability is average. mostly due to the ABV which is most noticeable 12oz into drinking. this beer will give you that warm, fuzzy, flushed red face, my ears are hot... feeling.

overall very enjoyable and well worth the money. i look foward to drinking the 2010 release and aging it too...

Cheers!
Jake (986 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -17.4%

Tulip glass. Fresh bottle from the 2011 release.

A: Pours clear dark amber with a half finger of greyish light khaki head, which dissipates pretty quickly and leaves a little lacing.

S: Sweetish toffee and caramel malt, a little floral, citrus, cherry and pomegranate notes. Some alcohol also.

T: Bitterness and some caramel. Bitterness throughout the entire sip, not just on the finish. A little abrasive.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation with bite. Alcohol is a little noticeable at the end.

O: Too bitter for the style. I've got to think this improves with some age, once the bitterness has mellowed out. Until then, this is a pretty difficult beer. (662 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 12/9/12

Note: After this beer, I will have reviewed 100/100 of the Beers of Fame. 2012 goal complete. It's good to have such productive goals.

Appearance: Somewhere between moderate amber and deep copper - pours with a foamy, off-white head - fades to a little cap, leaves some nice streaks and spotty lacing

Smell: Cooked, lightly burnt caramel - roasted grains, with a load of herbal elements and some grass - earthy hops - some sweetness, with sweet caramel, toffee, and a touch of molasses - some dark fruits - overall, a bit too earthy and overcooked for my taste

Taste: Cooked, roasted grains - caramelized grains, cooked caramel, and some roasty notes - cooked, dried out dark fruits - hoppy, in a very earthy, herbal, and leafy way - some citrus as well - moderate, earthy bitterness - some concentrated citrus rind as well

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of medium, adequate carbonation, lightly oily, with a lingering bitterness

Overall: An accurate name, but not necessarily ideal

Double (Arrogant) Bastard sounds like a good idea, right? Unfortunately, it's not ideal. This beer doubles the earthy, leafy, herbal dirtiness that I do not particularly care for in Arrogant Bastard. I had this about 4 years ago, and I wasn't a big fan. My current assessment is about the same. But maybe it improves with some aging. (1,339 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

2009 Release.

A-Pours a deep mahogany color with two fingers of tan colored head.

S-Deep dark stonefruit similar to Doppelbock upfront with a hint of citrusy hops.

T-This tastes like a boozy, slightly citrusy, piny and bitter doppelbock on steroids.

M-Very rich and velvety feeling in the mouth with low carbonation and full bodied.

D-This one is definitely a sipper due to the very apparent strength and intensity of flavor. I need to try it fresh now. (458 characters)

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.