Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros

blmar311, Nov 04, 2012

nquigley16, Nov 04, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from bomber into snifter
A – pours with an amber, two finger white head with great retention. Very dark red amber color…hard to see through to the other side unless held up to a light. Head very slowly fades away leaving minimal lacing on the side…fades to a mild amount of head retention. A ruby red color is a very accurate description
S – mm…very present hop notes. Nice, sweet, and fruity. When you take a very deep smell of it, you can definitely feel the alcohol lingering in the background
T Wow! This truly deserves the name double bastard…everything that arrogant bastard has but doubled. Strong alcohol bite in the front with a hoppy/malty finish. Makes you question your hubris for daring to drink this bomber by yourself! This is a fresh bomber that I just bought. I now know the bastard…but I do not know if it will set me free. As I have never had this before (I think I may have had it on tap in the past…no way of verifying), I look forward to seeing how the rest of my bottles will age. The aftertaste is the hop character lingering…very strong hop character that attacks you immediately. This is cold right out of my car (has sat there during my work shift…low 30’s when I left work)…going to continue this review when it warms up. The alcohol and hop character seem a little overwhelming right now..as it warms. The heat leaves a little leaving way to a deliciously strong, hoppy character beer with a strong malt profile in the background
M When cold, it feels very carbonated. The carbonation and hops attack your mouth and seek to control it…not necessarily bad, but almost overwhelming!
O While I really enjoy this beer, I think it is a little hot fresh. I look forward to seeing how this evolves in the future…If I didn’t have a twelve hour grace period to recover from this, I would say that I was the arrogant bastard for daring to drink this solo…I will be working out my mouth and liver to deal with this bastard. This is a damned good beer. My one regret is drinking it so fresh but I am also reminded that I have a few sitting in the cellar waiting for the right opportunity to be unleashed

Jagen, Nov 04, 2012
4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into my whiskey snifter, it pours a beautiful copper red with a nice head that dissipates maybe a bit too quickly. The aroma: malt buscuit with a thick yeasty undertone. The hops provide a nice contrast, too.

Flavor-wise, this thing shines. Wow: I've really enjoyed the Oaked Bastard, but this pushes the hoppiness a bit further. Nicely carbonated, the malt and hops linger on the tongue. The mouthfeel is nice and thick but not overwhelming.

Overall, this thing is slightly better than the Oaked, maybe on the same plane. I need to go grab another bottle and let it age.

Ranz, Nov 04, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

mweso2000, Nov 03, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage, poured into a Stone IRS Snifter

A - This beer pours a deep rusty orange, leaving two fingers of thick orange-white head that sticks around for a good long time. It leaves less lacing than I would expect given the volume of head produced.

S - There is certainly plenty of alcohol on the nose. It's not surprising, given the 11%+ ABV in this year's batch, but it's still a little overwhelming. Thick sweet malts, and a bit of fruit are there in the background as well. This one will certainly get better with a little time in the cellar.

T - Much like the nose, this one is a little on the boozy side. There's a good bit of aggressive bitterness that attacks the palate once the booze clears. There's a slight hint of the sweetness from the nose. It's a faint touch of roasted malt. From there, this beer features some serious hop punch with a brutally bitter finish. This beer is not balanced, but is delicious.

M - It lacks the thickness that I normally associate with an American Strong Ale of this ABV. It's surprisingly drinkable. Moderate carbonation. It gets better as it warms up, as it can be a little abrasive when served right out the fridge.

O - Double Bastard is one of my favorite beers.... after a few years. I'm looking forward to doing a 4-5 year vertical with these. Fresh, it's a little on the abrasive side. There's great flavor and smell there, but it's all a little overwhelmed by the ABV.

ESPNman, Nov 03, 2012

chippo33, Nov 02, 2012

leodarko, Nov 02, 2012

12owls, Nov 01, 2012

anabar, Nov 01, 2012

2012 poured from 22 oz into a snifter. This is one of my favorite beers, and the beer that GOT me into craft beer. I've had it many times and not sure I'm rational about it.

A: Pours a Deep Amber. Able to see it through it, but it looks glorious. Slightly cloudy with little head.

S: I think I can smell this across the room. Very strong sweet dark fruits, getting cherries, and a strong booze smell.

T: Ohhh the taste. Close to perfection in a non stout that you can get. Sweet but slams with the bitter at the end. Some brown sugar and caramel in there as well if you dare to let it sit on your tongue.

M: Sticky, andfull bodied. This year's is very boozy and I will let my other bottles sit a bit to calm down...

O: I love this beer. Its fantastic and a must try.

CommanderOfAwesome, Nov 01, 2012

cborder, Oct 25, 2012

mattdbh, Oct 24, 2012

mpetersen, Oct 22, 2012

DMacQ, Oct 22, 2012
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.