2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Reviews: 1959

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Ratings: 5,047 | Reviews: 1,959 | Show All Ratings:
GuinnessSmurf

Missouri

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Have you had an arrogant bastard and thought..."this would be amazing if only a little more hoppy?" Well then, the double bastard is your answer. Holy crap, I could easily find myself into trouble over this beer. I have never been disappointed by the Stone brewing Co. and this beer was the best of 23 beers at my latest beer tasting. Poured a luscious golden colorl; so provocative that I barely stopped to smell. The smell showed its alcohol content more than the flavor. Actually, I honestly expected some sort of fruity overtones to cover the high ABV of this beer. But in Arrogant Bastard style, they make no excuses for their beer; you can taste hops, alcohol and thats about it. Surprisingly, this made for an enjoyable experience. I would rate this very very high on the repeat scale - if there were one. So, please imagine a 7th criterion of 1.0-5.0 labeled REPEAT BEER and mark it a strong 5!!!!

01-06-2004 05:29:52 | More by GuinnessSmurf
WaltTrombone

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer is not just the "Big Brother" to Arrogant Bastard; this is the "Big Brother who's an All-Star linebacker, 6'6"", 285 lbs., kind of a cross between Todd Alstrom and Arnold Schwarzenegger." If you think the li'l Bro is too hoppy, you won't like this... You are definitely NOT worthy.

It pours a dark amber, with a tan head. Aromas are Grapefruit, caramel, malt, pine. The first predominant taste is malt, surprisingly enough for such a hop monster, and it's balanced pretty well against the hops insanity. Also present are caramel, currant, grapefruit, cola, toffee. A smooth mouthfeel French-kisses you like Cathy Keane did in the car after the movies.Then, the linebacker comes out to finish you upside the head with grapefruit and pine.

01-04-2004 22:13:40 | More by WaltTrombone
Stubbie1

Connecticut

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Oh yea! I was worthy again!

This beer pours a deep dark amber in color. A nice slightly off white head is met at the top of my glass. It stayed for a few but slowly faded away.
The aroma was of a sweet pine but hints of malt are in there. As I take in another breath, the malt seems to be a bit more dominating that the pine but wait, the taste will get the hops into play. Yes, the flavor is outstanding. Malt, citrus and pine are bouncing around. It is nicely balanced and has a smooth creamy feeling to it. The flavor of this beer hides the 10% nicely. Truly an outstanding brew!

01-04-2004 00:40:01 | More by Stubbie1
Suds

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

The beer comes in a 22 ounce, brown, and very amusing bottle.
Dark brownish amber ale with a tan, bubbly head. Initially pine, hops, and alcohol are the backdrop of a very aggressive aroma. Fresh hops abound in the smell. The first taste is malty and quite sweet…as you work through the glass, the malt aspects of the aroma become more and more intense. A little spice and a lot of fruit tastes. A really nice mix of sensations. After a few sips the alcohol warming sets in. Big, soft, full mouthfeel. The mix of flavors blend into a huge and bitter hop finish. This beer is amazingly complex, decidedly rough-edged, enticingly challenging, and wonderfully tasty.

01-03-2004 14:57:02 | More by Suds
granger10

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Now I know why the bottle cap says "you're not worthy". After consuming this beer I realized that it was one of the most intense beers I have ever had, so complex and strong, this one's not for the timid. The color is absolutely beautiful. Mohagony color with auburn highlights and an airy tan head that dissipated quickly. The nose is citrusy, hoppy, malty, and strong in alcohol. The taste was super complex. Starts off with a thick, sappy malt syrup flavor then follows with an acidic taste with some sweetness (grapefruit w/sugar added). Alcohol comes in strong and throws me back. Intense bitter hops blow my taste buds away. Burning sensation down my body. I was astounded. This was my last beer in 2003 because I wanted to get a little more bastard in me before the new year to cleanse the soul!

01-01-2004 22:42:39 | More by granger10
stegmakk

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance...Poured a beautiful dark amber with a thick tan head...and good lacing...
Aroma...a little weak to what I expected...caramel malt roasted malt tiny bit of hops...but mostly the caramel malt
Taste...simply put...big...complex...caramel malt, piney hops, extremely well balanced slight bitter finish...big and good tastes
Mouthfeel...full and actually bit creamy...
I liked this alot...very good beer

01-01-2004 01:22:45 | More by stegmakk
BeerResearcher

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Bastard now means good! It pours a deep orange/amber color with a full off-white head and loads of clinging lace. A potent piney hop aroma blasts forth during the pour. Smells of sweet malt, fresh floral hops and alcohol are also easily noticeable. The full sweet malt entraps tastes of toffee, candy sugar and buttered biscuits. Abundantly hopped with raw whole bud-like qualities, releases bitter flavors of grapefruit, lemon zest and piney esters. The big alcohol blast is in tune with the other assertive aromas and flavors. I enjoy having 3 or 4 beers per night, this one has to count for 2.

12-31-2003 01:36:54 | More by BeerResearcher
cbill

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

2003 edition
deep red color, like cherry varnish, with a tan head that thins out quickly
smells sweet again like cherries with a mild citrus hop
tastes a lot sweeter than i thought it would, not really too much hop bitterness. very warming and full of fruit flavors. covers your whole mouth with the flavor coating every inch
surprisingly drinkable for the strength and heaviness buti think i could drink this all night

12-19-2003 05:49:33 | More by cbill
Bighuge

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Deep cherry wood / mahogany tone. Thin beige head leaves spotty lace. Aroma is quite malty. Sweet. And some NW hoppiness to it as well. More malt than hops on this nose though. The body of this beer is full and has a viscous feel to it. Mouthfeel is actually quite creamy. This, along with the nice taste, leads to a high drinkability even though it's 10%. The taste is quite exotic. A virtual cornucopia of fruit flavors. Passion fruits. Pineapple. Ripe melon. Grapefruit rind. All this is accompanied by a noticeable EtOH heat and a high alpha acid hop bitterness. The malt tones are what really make this beer great though. The toffee and caramel tones are quite delicious. What an accomplishment in brewing. This is a dandy.

12-18-2003 04:35:25 | More by Bighuge
mschofield

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Dark reddened brown with a tan head that quickly turns to film.
Citrus hop and malty aroma, with pine, an alcohol kick, caramel, chocolate and dark fruit.
Strong citrus hop taste (strongly grapefruit), nutty, caramel, pine, peppery (alcohol). It was like drinking an IPA mixed with a brown, mixed with a Barleywine.
Sweet malt flavor grows with warming
Full and robust feel, a little rough but a very robust and flavorful brew.
I was concerned that DoubleBastard would be messing with Arrogant Bastard, but I was wrong. This is great, I think it would get even better with aging.

12-17-2003 20:09:16 | More by mschofield
Admiraldinty

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Wow is this complex. Pours a dark amber with a nice tannish head. Aroma has floral hops, with citrus and a light malt sweetness. Taste is something else. I think I tasted about three or four different styles of beer within this. Malty, woody and a bit smoky. Citrus notes. Bitter hops that in some ways remind me of some kind of stout or porter, as the bitter aftertaste hangs around for a while. Wow, I just can't get over how much is going on in this beer, and so damned smooth too. Really, really impressive. I'll come back to this one.

12-17-2003 03:51:14 | More by Admiraldinty
Weissenheimer

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

This pint is beautiful. The light gives it a wonderful, lambent coppery caramel appearance. Lots of little bubbles slowly ascend to the foamy marshmallow fluff fawn head. I take a sniff. My fear that this would be "like Arrogant Bastard, but moreso" were unfounded. The scent doesn't even remind me of Bastard except for the citrus constituent, and even that is not immediately detectable. The smell is sharply hoppy with a sweet citrus overtone.

I take a taste, and... Mmmm. This is much more balanced than Bastard. It's tasty, astringent, woody, and malty, with plenty of molasses and a hint of smoke. It's really impressively complex, and with each sip I become more amazed at the elaborate and languorous progression of flavors. First comes a malty, woody, slighty smoky taste. Then I get a wave of citrus which reconfigures itself into a hoppy bitterness. After that comes a scorched, ashy phase and finally a tart, bitter finish which lasts well over thirty seconds. Yes, I was actually so impressed with the taste progression that I timed it.

This beer has certain qualities of Belgians, most noteably a marked complexity. However, it's most definitely its own animal, and unmistakably American. I'll be getting more of this.

12-16-2003 20:48:43 | More by Weissenheimer
NearerMyBeerToMe

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours with a nice, frothy, three-finger-deep, barely off-white head of various-sized bubbles and good clumping; cling is okay but not particularly sticky. Color of bronze with near-garnet highlights; copper glow and dark, orangey-honey... changing all the time as I move the glass through different lighting conditions... hey, what color is this, anyway? Aroma: honey, cinnamon, bit of nutmeg. Cane-sugar maltiness up front; leafy, cool hops at back of nose achieve near strawberry tones; slight touch of warm alcohol. Where to even start with the flavor? Malts up front, enormous brown sugar and butterscotch all over the palate, then huge hops come barrelling through, unbelievably fresh, flowery hops! grapefruity and tannic; alcohol warmth in midpalate and is that rosemary?! rye whiskey? Wolloping mouthfeel is just body, body, body that BITES; firm, pervasive, lingering. Drinkability gets high marks because you just keep coming back to explore the flavors. In a word? Vast.

12-14-2003 21:49:00 | More by NearerMyBeerToMe
taez555

This beer poured a dark brown ruby red body with a small tan head.

The nose was a dark, sweet malt smell. Soft citrus tones. Sweet and actually a little fruity. A slight touch of bread and biscuit even.

This beer was very thick and fully bodied. Lots of dark malts, with big juicy fruit with a strong citrus hop taste. It basically starts off very juicy, almost like an apple. It then proceeds into this dark malt taste, and then... it's followed by a huge, very loose, centennial type high alpha acid hop taste. Smooth and very present, but really all over the place hop wise.

Overall I was really impressed by this beer. I'm sure the description doesn't do it justice. I've never been a big fan of the arrogant bastard. I can admire it, but it just seems like all the flavors are stuck together as if it's coal being pressed into a diamond. This though.... The flavors are all there, it's very drinkable, and just very tasty. A superb beer, my new favorite from Stone.

12-13-2003 10:27:37 | More by taez555
byrd

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Double Bastard pours with a large frothy head that is quite long lasting. The head eventually dissipates to a thick light brown lace. Reddish brown in color and clear, yet becomes hazy on later pours and white sediment eventually collects on the bottom of the glass. This brew is wonderful, but tough for me to wrap my arms around. The aroma is strong with notes of dark fruit and caramel malt. I picked up some slight vinous notes on the nose as well, along with loads of hops and alcohol. The start is smooth with dark fruits and a touch of oak and alcohol (rum, whiskey, bourbon, can’t really put my finger on it). The hops kick in mid swallow, and last through the finish. Alcohol melds with all the piney, grapefruity hops and leads to a rather warming finish. Some roasted notes are also noticeable in the end reminding you that the malts have never faded from the picture. The aftertaste lasts forever. Rich, complex brew. At 10% ABV, this is one that is great to enjoy slowly during an evening. Flavors develop even more as the brew warms a bit, making a slow paced drinking of this brew even more rewarding.

I bought 4 of these this winter, and have made sure to put one aside for next year. The rest won't make it through the month.

12-11-2003 22:12:10 | More by byrd
Indybeer

Indiana

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

Bomber. Poured a deep copper with a fairly decent head that stuck around, leaving some lacing behind. Aroma is very malty with plenty of hops. Taste is well.... some people can find malt in there, well all I taste is hops, hops and more hops. Mouthfeel starts out smooth and mildly sweet, then what rears it's mightly head? hops, hops, and more hops! To me this is just another IPA, more than a Strong/old ale. A true hop lovers dream. But for me it is just overpoweringly bitter.

12-10-2003 02:29:10 | More by Indybeer
Starchild

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

When I used to think West Coast, I would imagine Sierra Nevada Pale ale, but I’m starting to picture big bold hoppy beers like this. Stone has displaced my notion of the west. Great pour into my chalice and perfect accompaniment from Metallica with “Welcome Home”. Great garnet color with just a ring of foam around the sides of the glass after the foam head dissipated. Big bold taste. It’s heavy on the hops and heavy on the alcohol. Some pine, pepper, citrus going on juxtaposed by spices. I always wonder if my reviews become biased at I drink a 22 oz 10 percent bomber. Anyway, I love how this beer in writing and taste embodies Stone….I’m not sure if one brew speaks realms about any another brewery. I bought three of these and I’m regretting not buying a case. This blows me away.

Real Horrorshow

12-07-2003 05:49:39 | More by Starchild
Lafe

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Hated by many, loved by few. Loved by me.

Pouring this bastard revealed a lovely reddish caramel color, and released the most amazing malty aroma I've had from any beer. What the smell promised, the taste delivered. First on the palate was an almost confusing explosion of flavor lorded over by a malty sweetness and quickly followed by a punch of hop bitterness. The high alcohol lurks in the background, but is evident. After the chaos subsides, you're left with a malty caramel aftertaste, and a lingering bitterness.

This beer is far sweeter than I expected, almost like a barleywine, but the alcohol flavor and roasted notes make it seem almost dry. There is a lot of complexity in the flavors of this beer, and they change delightfully as the beer warms.

Very low carbonation, and not much head, but still a fringe of lace that follows the surface of the beer to the bottom of the glass.

I love this beer.

12-07-2003 03:11:01 | More by Lafe
benmiliron

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

This one has been in the house for almost a week and I finally just cracked it open. Listening to "Master of Puppets" while I drink and review this as it seems appropriate. First impression is thick, molasses-like, nearly syrupy. Smell of malt knocks you over, but hop fragrance not very noticeable, which I prefer, but the malt aroma is very nice. Couldn't get much head out of this one either, but the Bastard cares not.

First taste: holy shit. it's all about the malt here; and the malt hits you like a freight train on steroids. Underlying alcohol plays with the malt on your tongue.

A few more swallows: sugarless caramel, chocolate and coffee. Dry, but not overly dry. 10% alcohol packs a punch.

Halfway through: just phenomenal blend of malt. This is what malt was meant to do. More hops would be interesting, but might interfere.

Finishing: I thought it too thick at first, but with a lot of food in my belly, I'd be able to drink this lovely brew all night (though I couldn't afford it!) A lesson on the beauty and oft-forgotten capabilities of malted barley. Thank you Stone Brewing!

12-06-2003 02:27:48 | More by benmiliron
oggg

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

2003 Double Bastard Bomber

What the heck type of beer is this? I figured it'd be a double IPA or something, who knows. Certainly not a barleywine, IMHO.

Appearance wise, you can't tell what you're in for. Dark orange brown, nice head.

Then you get the aroma, and you expect, oh hey, a nasty bitter IPA is coming up. Anything that smells this wonderful is going to wring my tongue with bitterness.

You do indeed get hit with a marvelous hop bite... a hop gnash... king kong size, mac truck bitterness. I've never had anything this bitter. Marin Brewing White Knuckle, maybe... But the malt backbone, the caramel, the malt, the malt is the key. It starts strong and ends stronger and really keeps the bitterness in perspective. The bitterness does not linger and you're left with sweet malty caramelly chewiness.

I just saw that this beer is in the Strong/Old Ale category. I guess that would be appropriate. No winey taste of a barleywine here. At 10%ABV, you don't notice it AT ALL. After one 16oz glass, I was flying high. I let my roommate taste it, and he didn't notice the alcohol at all either, so it wasn't just because I was in heaven. Why on earth is it in a freakin bomber? Because after you wake up, you can finish the rest of it and start you're trip back to heaven all over again.

Stock up on this one.

12-02-2003 00:40:52 | More by oggg
tavernjef

Wowee, wow, wow, what a fantastic beer! The beer Gods from Stone have bestowed this upon us for a reason, because to know heaven you must pass through hell! This is pure pleasure and make no mistake you will pay by nights end. Pours a deep firey tawny amber brown, settles a bit darker in the chalice glowing of newly created lava from the earths crust as it procedes to grow a tall, firmly thickened, whipped froth of tannish wonder. Fades ever so slowly like a dieing fire to a thin ring and a hazy skim across the liquid leaving massive sticking amounts of webby laced sheets. Aroma appears stronger then smoke, more like heat from an oven with mounting sweet caramel, lightly burnt, darkened tropical passion fruits, earthy crispness of deep woods pineyness. Malts are king in this world of aroma, ruling with a mighty pitch fork that pokes at the hops as if to say "Ha, ha... Try to take my throne you measly weed". Taste is where it leads you down the path of whats about to become a head full of everything thats tempting. Complexing malts are forest fire big, tons of great semi sweet caramel, thick and thicker yet, flowing in and out of scorched and deeply ripe dark fruityness, pineapple, mango, plum, and raisins bursting within with a light burntness touching everything. Its calmingly smooth and far to creamy for such a fire to burn, but yet it does, and it builds with a wind of hops thats burning up brush of small dwindling pine, dried leaves, and wood. Incredibly balanced bitterness is deep and crackly over the musculature of the big boned skeleton of malts. Alcohol never makes its presense felt til it finds its way to the head where it smokes out any notions of all before it. You remember liking this thing you enjoyed the next day but are now lurking around like a zombie wondering how in the hell did I survive such a dance with the flames of a devil. F*cking great stuff!! Can't wait to dance again with this dark nectar, but not any time soon, as not to become a devils second hand. I hopefully have learned my lesson. Why did they have to put this in a bomber? Much like a devil its always tempting you to take more.

12-01-2003 21:39:02 | More by tavernjef
Shiredave

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle diatribe/ public service rant against contract brews is hystarical. It gets even funnier as you drink and look up words in the dictionary.
Hazy, ruby brown, sporting a gooey biege head atop that looks like kreusen on fermenting wort in primary. Lace drips all around the tulip glass.
Aroma is all juicy ale-fruit and crushed wildflower petals- clean and pungant but not overpowering.
Up front the flavor is ripe spiced fruit - sweet red watermelon and vanilla with a sort of nutmegy thing goin on. Hot red pepper and pine needle hop bite takes over aggressively, sending grappling hooks of bitterness into the tongue and throat.
Mouthfeel is perfect. Big barleywine body, slick and oily feel w/out being real heavy and alcoholic. Lush, creamy malt coats the mouth as a thin barrier against the citrus and pine hop barrage.
Warm bitterness and slow Tequilla like burn lingers forever.
2003 bottle which I think now I should have sat on for a while longer. The big malt body and flavor are there, waiting for the confligration of hop activity to calm thier little green asses down so balance and order can take hold.
Remarkable marriage of Classic British malt sweetness and west Coast hop flavor and intensity. One of the top barleywines Ive ever had, and in the Top 10 on my 2000+ beer list. Outstanding.
* I do not recomend drinking an entire 22oz on an empty stomach. It would seem this elixer has hallucinagenic qualities.... does the word " Flashback" mean anything to you..? Like... wow man!

12-01-2003 01:36:21 | More by Shiredave
gotbeer

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

This is one strong beer that will make your head ring. It is dark amber in color, and pours with a nice head that remains lacing the glass as you drink it. The smell is sweet with a fruity, almost grapefruit like quality. The taste is smooth, with a heavy dose of hops. It has almost a syrupy consistency to it as you sip, but a pleasant sweet aftertaste. Strong malt flavors as well, more so than the regular Arrogant Bastard. It's amazing to me that this beer is 10% ABV the way it goes down. The alcohol taste is not overpowering, and the fruity hops and malt make it almost unoticable. I wouldn't reccomend trying to finish more than one bomber at a sitting due to the high alcohol content. With it's drinkability though, the taste would allow you to do so. This is a straight up American barleywine with an ass kicking hop profile with malt balance. I would recommend this one to others, and I'll surely try it again.

11-30-2003 23:01:48 | More by gotbeer
Dmann

This is truly a beer I could live off of. The beer is a stunning dark amber color with about a half inch thick dense head that lasted till the last drop. I just love the smell of this beer. It's smell is obveously familliar to Arrogant Bastard but the harsh hop and pine scents are tamed down quite a bit, and replaced by a much maltier scent. The flavour is perfect. It starts out with a huge hop kick and then settles into a nice carmel flavor with a slight bittersweet aftertaste. The taste of pine is there too, but not nearly as much as Arrogant Bastard. As the beer warms, the hop bite becomes more subtle and the warming alchohol and malt flavors come out much more. This is a beer that I could drink any time, but I dont know if my liver could handle it! Highly recommended.

11-29-2003 09:52:51 | More by Dmann
irishmoss

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

New 2003 edition of this Double Bastard poured a deep ruby red garnet color in a large goblet. Very thick kaki tan head that was about two fingers thick. Lace clung well to the sides of the goblet.

The aroma was grapefruit and caramel off the start with a slight kick of alcohol. The taste was unbelievable. A roasted malt backbone holds together the citrus and spruce flavors from the hops. Caramel sweetness and some brown sugar tones combined with some kinda spiciness, maybe coriander; hide the high ABV in this Bastard. This has to be one of the most well balanced ales I've had.

Nice chewy thickness with the perfect amount of carbonation, this coats the mouth and slides down the throat. And that fact scares the shit out of me. This Arrogant Bastard's older brother was more like Old Guardian's uncle; I'm trying to say that it was very barleywine like. Not that this is a bad thing...

11-28-2003 20:19:01 | More by irishmoss
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.