1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros

stimblin, Feb 07, 2012

stairwell2811bre, Feb 05, 2012

Kenai4, Feb 05, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

650ml bottle 10,5% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2011 Vintage

Thanks to futura123 for this one.

Appearance: A rough pour yields a massive, ultra thick, yellow-tinged head that displays immense staying power. The lacing is not quite as good as I expected, however a light swirl coats the glass in beautiful alcohol legs.
The body seems thick and is a stunning combination of glowing red, orange and amber. Double Bastard is certainly one of the best looking beers I have had recently!

Smell: Absolutely delicious! Double Bastard smells like a massive IPA crossed with a sweet barley wine. The initial aroma is of orange zest, grapefruit pith, bitter resin, marmalade, sweet melon, pineapple, lemon zest and caramel malt. As the beer warms, the nose becomes a lot sweeter with more caramel malt as well as brown sugar, toasted malt, sweet glazed cherries and strawberries. While Alcohol is noted through a light tickle in the nose, it is far from bothersome and adds another dimension to an already complex nose.

Taste: As expected, Double Bastard is one beast of a beer! The boys at stone must have thrown every last hop in California into this to cover up such a monolithic malt base! The initial flavour is that of sweet caramel malt, brown sugar, toasted grain and glazed cherries, this is quickly overtaken by a tongue shredding bitterness and a wealth of hop flavours including orange zest, grapefruit pith, resin and a certain leafy/herbal quality.

Mouthfeel: Now this is what a big beer should feel like! Full body, lightly sticky with a low level of stunningly smooth carbonation.

Overall: Does Double Bastard make me feel unworthy? No not quite, but it is still a damn delicious offering from Stone and one I hope to have again in the future.

Thehuntmaster, Feb 05, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

GreyGhost4, Feb 05, 2012

leinie13, Feb 05, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my duvel tulip

A- nice one finger off white head forms beautifully, deep copper/amber with a tinge of brown. Nice lacing

S- a ton of complexity here, Pine, citrus, caramel, malty sweetness, like a sticky sweet hop forest. Alcohol. Almost cherry

T- deep sweet malt, caramel, pineapple, pine, alcohol, wood, just as complex and intriguing as the nose. Bready on the end.

M- a bit viscous and sticky, smooth with a dry pine finish, low/medium carbonation... bit of a bitter pine left in the mouth

O- a classic must try, deeply complex and intriguing flavors, everything remains well rounded at the same time, however not for the tame inexperienced palate, i can remember hating this brew the first couple times intried it.

PeterIngemi, Feb 05, 2012

blacksteyraug, Feb 05, 2012

RoryOMoore, Feb 04, 2012

InfernoBoss, Feb 04, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured unto a Sam Adams signature pint. 2011 release served 02/04/2012.

Appearance: Pours a clear but slightly dark amber...head is white and comes roughly 1/2" off the body.

Smell: Slight grapefruit skin, not amazing but pretty darn good.

Taste: incredibly this is a beer which improves after every sip (or gulp for some others). Initially above average, but you can taste the barley, slight bitterness and light spiciness.

Mouth: Just perfect, rare you see a beer out of a bottle feel like you had it on tap. Medium to heavy carbonation and aftertaste keeps kicking.

Overall: Incredibly well crafted, I have had this before and will definitely have it again. For all beers drinkers and REAL beer drinkers, Salud!

BlurryVisi0n, Feb 04, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Booze. Booze. Booze. In a nutshell, that's what this 2010 version of Double Bastard is all about.

Wouldn't know it when you open it up. The nose is like damp stone and not at all overly intense. Hazy-ish Indian red colour with a hefty number of small bubbles lining the glass. Starts with an impressive one inch magnolia head though it thins and retains some density and smoothness. In the mouth it is very heavy, thick, twisted, rubbery, dry, a trace of dried tropical fruit and brutish. Minimal complexity. Totally booze soaked. The ridiculous alcoholic weight power drives a piledriver to the face where the individual elements are left punch drunk in all that lethal liquid.

Like a 1969 ZL1 Camaro without a steering wheel.

Zimbo, Feb 03, 2012

muskiesman, Feb 03, 2012

chrispoint, Feb 03, 2012

CoreyCramer, Feb 03, 2012

AndrewMichael, Feb 03, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

2010 bomber poured into a duvel tulip

Appearance: 1/2 inch white head with little retention but great lacing that clings to the glass well.

Nose: Darkfruits, grapes and black cherries, oranges, lots of spice then caramel and vanilla. There is still a suggestion of sweetness, though not much mention of the alcohol

Taste: Spicey, almost a hint of cinnamon, tobacco and smoke come through then black cherries, dates, and a hint of oranges as the flavor gives way to the hops, which are bitter and very present for the age. There is the tiniest hint of paper/cardboard at the end.

Mouthfeel: Silky on the tongue, it flows and moves, supported by a wonderful carbonation.

Overall: Awesome beer, there was just the tiniest hint of a papery cardboard note at the end, suggesting that maybe the other bottles I've been aging are ready to be drank.

2378GCGTG, Feb 02, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

22 fl oz, poured into a pint glass.

My beer fridge is currently chock full of beers I haven’t had before, so consequently, I have to drink and review them, not just drink them. Sometimes, I’d rather just knock a good one down, but here I go…please disregard the complaining. My apologies. One should not bitch about having a full beer fridge.

A: Oh my, this beer could be somebody. It’s dark amber in color, and opaque; you can’t see through it, and it’s scaring me. In a good way, that is. The head is light tan in color, 2 cm with a decent pour, and holds for more than two minutes (my benchmark for a good head) before dissolving into lace. I’m optimistic; looking forward to getting my nose into this one.

S: Oh wow, this beer smells like somebody. I’ve been drinking low-ABV lagers, building my tolerance up after fighting cancer, and now I’ve got a beer that I can tell could be big league. At first, I’m getting a blend of caramel, prunes and citrus hops, most likely grapefruit or blood orange. Not only that, the smells are powerful, rather than weak or hanging out in the background; it’s really in-your-face. Me likey!

T: Oh. My. God. Ach. Mein. Gott. Ay. Dios. Mio. O. Mon. Dieu. This beer is fantastic in thirty six languages. I can taste everything I smelled, in the best proportions I’ve experienced in quite some time. I can also taste the alcohol, which, in this case, is welcome. It’s more sweet than bitter, which I find surprising, but amazing. I’m so glad I was smart enough to eat something beforehand; this beer packs a bit of a wallop. I don’t know how to put this, other than to describe it as rich. Oh yeah!

M: Outstanding. This is the first beer I’ve had in a long time that I wish were neverending. Folks, it’s that freakin’ good. It’s full-bodied, it’s just about perfectly carbonated, the palate does the Electric Slide, or headbangs, or gives thanks to Tim Tebow, or does the coolest thing you can imagine. My palate is currently air-guitaring Side 1 of Rush’s ‘2112’ album. And the finish is unbelievably dry, especially given how sweet this beer is. Get your party on! You are NOT ready for this!

O: I’m not a hipster, or one who knocks beers just to knock them. When I taste a beer like this, I stand up and take notice, like when I see Martin Brodeur standing on his head to give the Devils a win. This beer displays sheer artistry, and is applause-worthy. Damn great beer. Next time I drink this, I’m cooking a big ol’ batch of fried chicken, and eating and drinking myself into Valhalla. Until the next time, everybody!

bogus564, Feb 02, 2012

EddieG28, Feb 01, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -18%

DelicateDelirium, Feb 01, 2012
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.