Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,038 | Hads: 6,332
3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Split a bomber with a fellow BA.
Poured into a shaped pint glass.

Pours a nice dark brown, not murky, quite clear in fact. Nice lacing and big, shiny, rainbow-mirror, soapy bubbles.

Smells malty, with a spicy, acidic citrus/ hoppy/ pine bark smell. some alcohol lingers in the aftershock.

Taste - really tough to describe. I can sense some of the same from the nose, citrus, hops, but there's something else at work here. Honestly, and I don't care how crazy it sounds, I can taste burnt pumpkin seeds and leather. Not the taste of leather, but the aroma of a leather jacket captured in a beer. Nutz, I know.

Nice Carbonation with a thin mouthfeel. Good even body throughout, alcohol snuck up towards the end.

Sadly, this is really not my type of beer. It's a great beer, it's just not my beer. I somewhat enjoyed the regular, and was over the moon with the Oak, but I just didn't enjoy this one.
I just wasn't that into it. (929 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +4%

2008 RELEASE

Appearance of a milky brown color. The way the bubbles danced to the top of the glass in a wave to form the head was very impressive.
Great head retention, and lots of lacing sticking to the sides of the glass.

Smell is spicy, dark fruits, mabye some peppers. No hops coming through.

Strong alcohol taste! Very thick. Dark malts. Bitter, medium carbonation. There is a sweet underbelly. Definitely double bastardly, this IS and "angry beer". Leaves a kind of stingy bitter after taste. Very complex flavors achieved in the making of this beer.

Moderate drinkability, although I would recommend drinking this slow. Do not underestiimate the double bastard. (672 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11%

2008 release poured into a tulip glass.

A - Deep dark burgundy with almost ruby hues, 2" densely compacted light tan head, amazing thick retention and sticky lacing

S - Overpowering sweetbread malt, followed by underlying grapefruit and grassy/floral notes

T - As with the nose, an initial blast of sweetbread malts, but then here come the hops. Doses of sweet grapefruit, pine, and a bit of earthiness.

M - Good carbonation, residual hop flavors feels like a hop cone has been dragged over the tongue leaving a delicious earthiness like leftover buds and stems, hopefully that make sense to at least someone else.

D - While individually the malt and hop profile are above average, together the difference is too stark for my liking. A bit of a failed effort at our amazingly balanced east coast IPA's. (807 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2008 bottle aged for 2+ years. Poured into a liqueur glass.

Appearance: Dark brown and cloudy. typical of a barley wine. Light head that quickly dies down. Nothing special.

Smell: The best characteristic of this ale. As soon as the bottle was popped, I could smell this beer strongly...as if I had my nose in the glass! Smelled of sour cherries, citrus, dark malts, whiskey, caramel, roasted coffee, and chocolate.

Taste: The taste was very boozy from the get go. Bourbon, coffee, caramel, chocolate, brandy, some fruity tartness, and a light bitterness. As far as fruit goes citrus and tart cherries dominate the palate. Very complex and strong!

Mouthfeel: A bit thick as I expected. However, not oily like some strong ales. The carbonation is light and hardly noticeable upon swallowing.

Drinkability: A great beer, however I would not have more than one in a sitting. I am definitely looking forward to trying one agin though. (935 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

2011 vintage poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass aggressively.

Been waiting to try this one for a while. It's certainly intimidating after examining the bottle, with the dualing big ugly satanic demon signature Stone logos and insanely well crafted and humorous (but true) text on the back.

A: This one was a lot darker than expected. Very dark amber, bordering on crimson. Hold it up to the light and it almost seems to get darker, defying all logic. Very tiny carbonation bubbles, almost none visible. Three fingers of head with large bubbles, disappears almost completely after a minute, but leaves a nice sticky lace on the glass. This one likes to taunt you. Looks wickedly amazing, little head retention is the only fault I can find in the appearance. This is a gorgeous beer.

S: Smells fruity and hoppy. Very curious nose. Pineapple and/or banana and pine stand out the most. Has a sweet smell. In the words of Jack Black: "Sweet sassy molassy". The nose will surprise you on this one. It's not too light, not too pungent. It's perfect. The nose will leave you curious and anxious for a taste. 5/5 perfect.

T: Umm... hard to put this one into words. Every sip takes you on a journey of wild twists and turns. Starts mild with a slight bitter hopiness, then transforms into sweet pineapple, pear, banana, dark fruits, molasses and caramel, with just a perfect hint of smoky roasted malts, that will kick in from nowhere so hard you'll feel it rise through your nasal passages. It finishes on the dry side with the light bitter hops coming back through, but the tropical fruit flavors linger. I don't know how they pulled this off, but it's amazing. I really can't detect the alcohol in this, despite it being 10.5%. Huge kudos. 5/5

M: Chewy, bready, full bodied. I don't pick up on the syrupy feel that others have mentioned, but it is a bit on the thicker side, I wouldn't say syrupy though. Very little carbonation, but just enough to be nearly perfect for its style. I think a TOUCH more carbonation could have benefited it though, but just a touch. Despite what another reviewer said about it being overly carbonated, my bottle had very little, almost too little.

O: This beer lives up to the hype. If you've ever wanted to try it, go for it. If you've been reluctant, don't be. This beer will take your senses on a wild and wonderful ride. Drink the whole 22oz. bottle - it's easy to do because it's so damn smooth and interesting, but it'll give you a nice slap on the ass with it's 10.5% ABV :D

I'm still looking for that perfect 5/5 beer, but this one almost got it. It was so close. Probably the best beer I've ever had, although I was still unfortunately able to find some very very small flaws. This is dangerously close to overall perfect. This almost made me give up that perfect 5/5 review on my 8th beer review. (2,848 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

2011 Vintage at the suggestion of the beer guy. (1 year old bomber)

Appearance: Pours a beautiful dark amber/brown. Thick, creamy off-white head. No light penetrates the center, and the edges make a glowing orangish-copper haze. Good, clingy lacing. There are some fine particulates suspended.

Smell: Tons of malt and spices. Aroma is very rich and full.

Taste: Whole lotta malt. Tastes strong, but not as boozy as I thought it would. LOTS of malt. Very little ho presence until the aftertaste, which has a piney, oily finish.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated well with a medium-full body.

Overall: She's a beast of a beer with an entertaining character. I'd love to have tried this year's back to back. It's good to try, and expensive (slightly) to drink. I doubt I could do more than one of these per sitting. (810 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Wow,what can I tell you,
This is one of the most amazing brews I have ever had the pleasure to drink.
Pours a beautiful hazy golden-copper with a thick head that laces the glass for the duration.
I wish I had the vocabulary to properly describe all the complexity of this brew.
Starts out big and malty with an incredible huge mouthfeel.
Nice warming alcohol that isnt overpowering considering the ABV of 10.50%.
Finishes with a great hoppy goodness.
This one goes in my all time top 5 beers. (492 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured from 22 oz bomber and was highly anticipating this beer. Great smell decent apperance. Blah! Strong overpowering alcohol bite. I know this is a strong Ale but this is beyond belief. Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah!Blah! Not for me! Im done with these Arrogant and Double Bastard beers. PS: I love Stone's Ruination. (365 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

I've seen this one just about everywere I go now. Finally decided to try and rate. Pours thick and has a lingering head. Dark brown in complexity with plenty of carbonation showing. There is a sweet malty aroma with hint of hops. I also get hint of leather and mushrooms. Starts off sweet on the pellet and wham you get hit with the hops and the alcohol. In a good way. Taste like a barly wine. Very enjoyable 09 version (420 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours a clear amber colour with very little head. Smells somewhat sweet with fruity undertones, and alcohol lurking just below. Tastes like hops that were soaked in alcohol and bottled...and I love it!!! The hoppy taste comes right up and punches you in the mouth, then the alcohol makes you do a double take. If i were this good I'd be arrogant as well. As i drink more, I want to drink more, and while i know that spending my life savings buying as many of these as possible is a bad idea, i'm afraid that if i don't the scary man on the bottle will come to my house and make me pay dearly for not embracing him and his evil ways. Truly this is an arrogant bastard in all it's glory, and I am it's humble servant (719 characters)

I had this exceptional brew on draft at a recent tasting/release at my favorite bar here in Ann Arbor.

A- A very pronounced Amber color. It actually appears to be a bit lighter (in color) than the Arrogant Bastard.

S- This is the first punch in the mouth. Naturally, the first aroma that hits you is the hops and boy is it a hit. After the initial hop aroma there is plenty of citrus, but not in a bitter way, the hops take care of that. It almost seems more like a ripe orange or perhaps pineapple, rather than lemon.

T- This is the 2 of the 1-2 punch this brew hits you with. The taste is out of this world. It has the huge hop taste and flavor of an Imperial IPA with more sweetened malt balance. This is one that can be savored. I really like that it is big and heavy like an Imperial, but with amazing balance.

M- The feel is obviously malty. It is nice and smooth. With some beers of this gravity, I feel they can have a tendency leave an almost abrasive feel in your mouth, but this does not occur here.

D- I love drinking this beer. It has a great aftertaste that stays with you, while still enticing your for more. (1,129 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

consumed 03-17-2010, 22oz bomber into snifter.

I was totally blown away by this brew. I was expecting this to be super hoppy and a beefed up version of AB, but i was wrong. But its a good thing! this thing is so drinkable it almost brings a tear to my eye. smell was the AB smell but more sweet and boozy. taste was magnificent. Hops, sweet malt, caramel, burnt resin, citrus, pine, grapefruit, pineapple, booze. but it goes down so smooth. you do get that burning sensation going down, but its bearable. delicious ass beer.

very similar traits to an American Barley Wine. (574 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer was totally different from any beer I have ever tasted. It kind of kicked my ass. Very strong alcohol taste. Burned going down like a shot of whiskey. It was good, but not what I'm looking for in a beer. I can see how some other people might like it , but it's not for me. (282 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2003 Release.

Woa! Nice, very nice.

I usually don't notice the abv % before drinking a beer, so this one really crept up on me in a most pleasant way. I was just about finished reading the label's "diatribe" when I thought, 'This is better than I thought when I first tasted it a few minutes before.' So, I looked at the label for the abv and saw the 10% and said, "Oh, this is pretty good. I want another."

Thanks for sharing. (436 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

courtesy of beerbeing

2005 sampling

appearance is like a penny that is 3 years old. there is a nice slight tan had, with great lacing, which is a good characteristic of most stone brews. the smell is very molassey/brown sugarry. the hops are also very present. the taste is incredible. notes of caramel, raisins, pine, and hints of citrus. man, i love the sweetness of this brew. alcohol ios present, but not scary. very drinkable if it weren't for the higher abv on this, i would love to sit around and just sip this bad boy all night. (542 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

2006 Release

Received today from the world's best trader: nlmartin. This has become quite an affair. Thanks buddy.

Poured after yet another 12 hour day into my trusty Duvel Tulip.

A - A gorgeous ruby red. Beautiful head after a conservative pour, bubbly lacing.

S - Sweet, fruity hops. much more complex than the "un-squared" Bastard. Much more warm and inviting. Candied plums?

T - F**k Me! This is one fantabulous ale! Wonderful, sweet malty opening, followed by a bitch-slap of hoppy bitterness which segues immediately into a warm, kick-ass alcohol finish. Gimme more!

M - Fills every crook and nanny. Leaves a wonderful thick, tasty, malty coating on the tongue which is only improved by the next sip.

D - Let me put it this way: I worked 12 hours today, got home at 9:45. I have the same schedule tomorrow. I had resolved to have "just one". ...The next one is currently chilling ( to about 45ish degrees), in the fridge. God this is good shit....

I loved the Bastard, I guess I adore the Bastard squared. I have 10 left....I need at least another 24 for the Winter. Thanks Nate! (1,109 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Poured a hazy sweet tea like reddish brown. The head was dense and light brown. The lacing clings to the glass until the last drop all the way down the walls of the glass

S: Bakers chocolate, caramel, pine, citrus... like grapefruit and orange rinds, bread.

T: Bitter sweet chocolate, biscuit, grapefruit, hops, grapefruit and other citrus fruits. As it heats up the flavor bursts, warms the throat, that's for sure.

M: Medium body but smooth smooth, the carbonation isnt over powering tingles a bit. You can definately feel the alcohol and it leaves a slight bitter coffee taste in the mouth with a lingering alcohol slow burn. I like it alot! I definately could drink a few of these. (692 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Semi-aggressive pour from a cellar temp bomber into a room temp pint glass:

I would paint my living room the same colors as double bastard! The walls would be a golden caramel-red and the trim would be a golden tan cream! The colors in this pint deserve a halo! A two finger head dissipates after time, and as I drink, it leaves a mess of splotches and spiderwebs down the sides of the glass.

Aromas of pine and hops hit the nose at first followed by autumn harvest fruits. A malty undertone ties it all together.

What a balanced flavor! I can sense the hops but they aren't overwhelming at all. The malted sweetness balances the bitterness perfectly. Hints of apples and cream lend a stroke of genius to this wonderful beer.

A rolling creamy liquidity flushes through the mouth. It's a summery feeling, but it will go great the entirety of the year.

This beer rates a perfect in drinkability! I want gallons and gallons of this beer. It's perfect as a thirst quencher, a session beer, or something to try for the first time on a chilly winter night. Perfect in sips or quaffs a warming bloom of alcohol and a slight slur accompany the bottom of the 22oz bottle. (1,167 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a brownish red with a half inch foamy tan head, some of which sticks around. Some lacing that doesn't stay stuck to the sides for very long.

Smells of caramel malts, grapefruit. Sweet and bready. Like a fruit pie! Something else I can't put my finger on, but it smells great.

Hints of caramel in the flavor, some roastiness, sweetness, malt backbone. Hop bitterness is balanced out by the malts very well, with only a tiny bit of bitterness in the finish. This is extremely smooth for a 10.5% ABV beer.

Mouthfeel is sort of velvety smooth.

Stone is an incredible brewery. I haven't been disappointed by one of their beers yet, and this is no exception. Another great one in their lineup. (701 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

"Over the top" is what comes to mind when drinking this potent brew. Not that it's a bad thing, necessarily. But it does give a new meaning to the phrase "too much of a good thing" after one bottle.

Pours a rich darkwood color with decent head, which doesn't stay on for too long. Smells, quite ominously, of exotic fruit, alcohol and burnt sugar.

I can best describe the impression from the first gulp as - it's like biting into an otherworldly juicy fruit. Kind of like a persimmon from a different planet. An exceptionally bitter, flavorful, grassy persimmon. It occupies entire mouth and assaults every taste bud with a gamma of aromas. I can't make out initial taste, or the aftertaste - it's just one huge taste bomb. Bitter, juicy, sweet, woodsy, chocolaty, almost a liquid dessert.

I'm puzzled by this beer. It's definitely not a session beer, I can't imagine it going well with any kind of food, really...yet it does create an experience. I can't say I'm a fan, though. Maybe I have to try another bottle. (1,018 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured out of the 22oz. bomber into a large mug, because I don't have the correct glassware for this beer. It pours a beautiful thick dark-reddish brown with a two finger head that dissipates quickly (I think I need to wash my glasses better because no beer has been holding a head recently).

The first thing that hits you in the nose is hops. There is a lot of bitterness upfront, but underneath that is a hint of the flavors to come, including a bit of fruit sweetness.

When cold the most overwhelming flavor is the extreme hop bitterness that overrides everything else, but as it warms up the other flavors come through. Sweet fruit flavors, sharp pineapple, a bit of malty sweetness are all tied together by the hops, which weave in and out of everything else on your palate and leave a pleasant lingering bitter aftertaste.

The beer is smooth in the mouth with a bit of carbonation and a nice oily hop feel.

This beer is dangerous. There is no hint of the 10% alcohol. I could drink several bottles easily in a session. (1,028 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: This beer poured a dark red mahogony/copper color with a thick two finger bubble filled head that maintained excellent lacing.
S: Immediately after the pour I was hit with sweet caramel and malt aromas, but the nose quickly evolved into a strong dominating pine scent with hints of citrus. The caramel malt lingered in the background.
T: Excellent. A complex mix of sweet caramel malt and pine hops. A citrus zest bitterness lingered in the aftertaste, while the alcohol was noticeable. Alcohol becomes more prevalent as beer warms throughout tasting.
M: This beer had a creamy full bodied mouthfeel with excellent carbonation and a dry bitter finish.
T: Very refreshing and drinkable considering the high alcohol content. (725 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +5.9%

Aroma: Lots of dark fruitiness, malty, slight chocolate notes

Appearance: Off white creamy head, with a beautiful, clear, deep copper body.

Taste: Full of dark fruits, plum sweetness, complex malts, touches of chocolate, with a citrusy, zingy, hoppy finsh. Malty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thick, full, and creamy

Drinkability: Dammit, I want some more, STONE MUST COME TO COLORADO!!!

The Festival flyer I have lists the OG as 1.096 (443 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Very cool bottle. Pours dark amber, almost black into my nonick pint glass. Low to medium carbonation. Thin but adequate head, leaves some lacing.

Smell: Grapefruit, caramel, molasses all melding into what I can only describe as a pineapple-like scent. Both the hops and malt take over the room by exploding in this delicious bouquet the moment you unleash it from the bottle. Through all of this I can hardly detect the alcohol.

Taste: Sweet and fruity at first, opening up to an incredibly complex array of flavors. Tangy juicy hops battle dark malts with an almost scotch-like smoky caramel flavor for dominance. Never bitter or cloying, the balance of this brew is just perfect. Barely detectable alcohol presence. Very satisfying.

Mouthfeel: The thickness of this brew's malt backbone coupled with the hop oils is something unique which I regret to say I've never experienced before, not even in imperial stouts or heavy barleywines. I hesitate to describe it as syrupy, but I think in this case it is an apt description which applies only in the most positive of ways. Gentle carbonation releases new flavors on the tongue. Truly exceptional.

Drinkability: I could easily knock back several of these in a night, rather unusual for such thick, high abv brews. Truth be told it just tastes and feels so damn good that you can have one after another until you're absolutely plastered if you don't stop yourself.

One of many reasons we should be proud of the microbreweries here in North America. This is truly innovative, worldclass beer. (1,568 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Pours an amber, dark red ruby, almost mahogany color with quite a thick, tannish head that doesn't dissipate for a while.

S: Some malty aroma mixed equally well with a large burst of hops, with added bits of small-toned fruit and a hint of alcohol, not nearly as strong as the taste.

T: Very complex; for as strong as the taste is it is a magnificently smooth beer. Well-balanced high amounts of hops and malt, along with a mixture of fruit, pine and hint of toasted caramel and alcohol. Strength of the taste doesn't hit until you have swallowed the swig.

MF: Amazing, relatively thick mouthfeel, keeping in consideration the percent by volume. Just the right amount of carbonation and also with a bit of lingering alcohol as well as a relatively strong aftertaste of hops that will leave you wanting more.

D: Although this beer is heavy on the taste buds, it doesn't seem quite as heavy on the stomach. However, even though the taste is quite great, the sheer strength of this brew will leave you only able to drink a moderate amount of these at a time.

Overall, an impressively strong and tasty brew that has earned quite a bit of my respect for the Stone Brewing Company. Definitely worth it. (1,205 characters)

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.