Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,041 | Hads: 6,357
4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Semi-aggressive pour from a cellar temp bomber into a room temp pint glass:

I would paint my living room the same colors as double bastard! The walls would be a golden caramel-red and the trim would be a golden tan cream! The colors in this pint deserve a halo! A two finger head dissipates after time, and as I drink, it leaves a mess of splotches and spiderwebs down the sides of the glass.

Aromas of pine and hops hit the nose at first followed by autumn harvest fruits. A malty undertone ties it all together.

What a balanced flavor! I can sense the hops but they aren't overwhelming at all. The malted sweetness balances the bitterness perfectly. Hints of apples and cream lend a stroke of genius to this wonderful beer.

A rolling creamy liquidity flushes through the mouth. It's a summery feeling, but it will go great the entirety of the year.

This beer rates a perfect in drinkability! I want gallons and gallons of this beer. It's perfect as a thirst quencher, a session beer, or something to try for the first time on a chilly winter night. Perfect in sips or quaffs a warming bloom of alcohol and a slight slur accompany the bottom of the 22oz bottle. (1,167 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a brownish red with a half inch foamy tan head, some of which sticks around. Some lacing that doesn't stay stuck to the sides for very long.

Smells of caramel malts, grapefruit. Sweet and bready. Like a fruit pie! Something else I can't put my finger on, but it smells great.

Hints of caramel in the flavor, some roastiness, sweetness, malt backbone. Hop bitterness is balanced out by the malts very well, with only a tiny bit of bitterness in the finish. This is extremely smooth for a 10.5% ABV beer.

Mouthfeel is sort of velvety smooth.

Stone is an incredible brewery. I haven't been disappointed by one of their beers yet, and this is no exception. Another great one in their lineup. (701 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

"Over the top" is what comes to mind when drinking this potent brew. Not that it's a bad thing, necessarily. But it does give a new meaning to the phrase "too much of a good thing" after one bottle.

Pours a rich darkwood color with decent head, which doesn't stay on for too long. Smells, quite ominously, of exotic fruit, alcohol and burnt sugar.

I can best describe the impression from the first gulp as - it's like biting into an otherworldly juicy fruit. Kind of like a persimmon from a different planet. An exceptionally bitter, flavorful, grassy persimmon. It occupies entire mouth and assaults every taste bud with a gamma of aromas. I can't make out initial taste, or the aftertaste - it's just one huge taste bomb. Bitter, juicy, sweet, woodsy, chocolaty, almost a liquid dessert.

I'm puzzled by this beer. It's definitely not a session beer, I can't imagine it going well with any kind of food, really...yet it does create an experience. I can't say I'm a fan, though. Maybe I have to try another bottle. (1,018 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured out of the 22oz. bomber into a large mug, because I don't have the correct glassware for this beer. It pours a beautiful thick dark-reddish brown with a two finger head that dissipates quickly (I think I need to wash my glasses better because no beer has been holding a head recently).

The first thing that hits you in the nose is hops. There is a lot of bitterness upfront, but underneath that is a hint of the flavors to come, including a bit of fruit sweetness.

When cold the most overwhelming flavor is the extreme hop bitterness that overrides everything else, but as it warms up the other flavors come through. Sweet fruit flavors, sharp pineapple, a bit of malty sweetness are all tied together by the hops, which weave in and out of everything else on your palate and leave a pleasant lingering bitter aftertaste.

The beer is smooth in the mouth with a bit of carbonation and a nice oily hop feel.

This beer is dangerous. There is no hint of the 10% alcohol. I could drink several bottles easily in a session. (1,028 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: This beer poured a dark red mahogony/copper color with a thick two finger bubble filled head that maintained excellent lacing.
S: Immediately after the pour I was hit with sweet caramel and malt aromas, but the nose quickly evolved into a strong dominating pine scent with hints of citrus. The caramel malt lingered in the background.
T: Excellent. A complex mix of sweet caramel malt and pine hops. A citrus zest bitterness lingered in the aftertaste, while the alcohol was noticeable. Alcohol becomes more prevalent as beer warms throughout tasting.
M: This beer had a creamy full bodied mouthfeel with excellent carbonation and a dry bitter finish.
T: Very refreshing and drinkable considering the high alcohol content. (725 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +5.9%

Aroma: Lots of dark fruitiness, malty, slight chocolate notes

Appearance: Off white creamy head, with a beautiful, clear, deep copper body.

Taste: Full of dark fruits, plum sweetness, complex malts, touches of chocolate, with a citrusy, zingy, hoppy finsh. Malty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thick, full, and creamy

Drinkability: Dammit, I want some more, STONE MUST COME TO COLORADO!!!

The Festival flyer I have lists the OG as 1.096 (443 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Very cool bottle. Pours dark amber, almost black into my nonick pint glass. Low to medium carbonation. Thin but adequate head, leaves some lacing.

Smell: Grapefruit, caramel, molasses all melding into what I can only describe as a pineapple-like scent. Both the hops and malt take over the room by exploding in this delicious bouquet the moment you unleash it from the bottle. Through all of this I can hardly detect the alcohol.

Taste: Sweet and fruity at first, opening up to an incredibly complex array of flavors. Tangy juicy hops battle dark malts with an almost scotch-like smoky caramel flavor for dominance. Never bitter or cloying, the balance of this brew is just perfect. Barely detectable alcohol presence. Very satisfying.

Mouthfeel: The thickness of this brew's malt backbone coupled with the hop oils is something unique which I regret to say I've never experienced before, not even in imperial stouts or heavy barleywines. I hesitate to describe it as syrupy, but I think in this case it is an apt description which applies only in the most positive of ways. Gentle carbonation releases new flavors on the tongue. Truly exceptional.

Drinkability: I could easily knock back several of these in a night, rather unusual for such thick, high abv brews. Truth be told it just tastes and feels so damn good that you can have one after another until you're absolutely plastered if you don't stop yourself.

One of many reasons we should be proud of the microbreweries here in North America. This is truly innovative, worldclass beer. (1,568 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Pours an amber, dark red ruby, almost mahogany color with quite a thick, tannish head that doesn't dissipate for a while.

S: Some malty aroma mixed equally well with a large burst of hops, with added bits of small-toned fruit and a hint of alcohol, not nearly as strong as the taste.

T: Very complex; for as strong as the taste is it is a magnificently smooth beer. Well-balanced high amounts of hops and malt, along with a mixture of fruit, pine and hint of toasted caramel and alcohol. Strength of the taste doesn't hit until you have swallowed the swig.

MF: Amazing, relatively thick mouthfeel, keeping in consideration the percent by volume. Just the right amount of carbonation and also with a bit of lingering alcohol as well as a relatively strong aftertaste of hops that will leave you wanting more.

D: Although this beer is heavy on the taste buds, it doesn't seem quite as heavy on the stomach. However, even though the taste is quite great, the sheer strength of this brew will leave you only able to drink a moderate amount of these at a time.

Overall, an impressively strong and tasty brew that has earned quite a bit of my respect for the Stone Brewing Company. Definitely worth it. (1,205 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Has a nice brown color with a slight off white head. When held to the light has a nice golden brown color.

Has a decent smell this is probably the only weak point of the brew. Hops and carmel and some slight fruits but the overwhelming smell is alcohol.

The taste is the best part for me. Definite hop bitterness followed by wonderful sweet caramel. Can pick up just a bit of citrus as with most ipa brews. I immensely enjoy the burnt toast aftertaste along with the dry hop flavor it leaves.

Mouthfeel is great smooth and light with a bit of carbonation. Despite the alcohol content i could drink this stuff all day and enjoy all of it. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a double ipa. drink up and enjoy (753 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

Ok. I've been wanting this brew ever since I got my hands on my very first arrogant bastard...09' release and here we go...

(a)- Pop the top off and I instantly know I'm in for a trip. Beer pours into pilsner with next to no head. This looks like some wicked stuff. Dark dark carmel color. (4.5/5)

(s)- I don't even know what to say. First sniff of this stuff and I'm hesitant to take a sip. Frangrance is so alive, strong toffee, caramel and pine scents hit the nose. I feel like I've I breathe any deeper I might knock myself out. (5/5)

(t)- Wow. I really can't put my finger on it. Taste is almost even with sensation. Strong toffee, caramel flavors. Something really sweet in there...almost like a hint of pineapple that's growing on a damn pine tree. D-licious (5/5)

(m)- Completely different experience than Arrogant Bastard. It doesnt hit you up front and leave you until the next sip, this beer is here and here to stay. Mouthfell is very unique because I feel like my mouth and tongue are clicking on all cylinders...noting is getting missed. With over 100 IBU's this beer is amazingly smooth, and the bitterness is almost overlooked for all the awesome flavor and feelings. (5/5)

(d)- As far as drinkability goes, if I made a point to, I could probably drink more than 1 of these at a sitting...but 2 would be max. This beer is exceptionaly smooth, much more than AB. This beer was such a suprize...no wonder its a favorite in the Extreme American Ale category. I feel like this brew has far more return qualities than beers with similiar ABV. (4.5/5)

Thank you Stone!! (1,585 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Appearance: dark mahogany, finger and a half of head.

Smell: as I first pour it cold from the bottle, I detect the rich caramel flavor that I have come to associate with Double Bastard's syrupy predecessors.

Taste: Rich caramel from the malt hits first, with wholegrain tasting malts showing through in the finish. These flavors are complimented by a solid alcohol presence and a finishing appearance of hops to round out the footprint for a well balanced beer.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and thick with too much carbonation added to balance it out. It warms the mouth, and the beer reveals layers of flavor with each sip.

Drinkability: This beer packs a lot of things into a bottle, and does each of them well. All the disparate elements, the nutty and caramel maltiness, accompanied by a hops cameo that appears in the latter parts of the swig, are tied together ingeniously. I have come to expect the world from all releases of Double Bastard, and I have yet to be disappointed. As of this review, I have enjoyed the '03, '09, and 2010. (1,036 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%

2010 double bastard opened for my birthday. Aged 4 months in my cellar; poured into a tulip at cellar temp.

Knockout of a beer. My nose isn't the most adept in the world (thanks allergies), but for some reason I thought "rum-soaked cake" when I took a whiff of this. I preferred the smell to the taste, which was still a bit too hot. Overall, though, a damn fine beer and perfect for celebrating an achievement such as 23 years of existing. (441 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +11%

Pours a ruby red with a thick head that dissipates into a light coat of froth. As the carbonation struggles to the surface, I begin to wonder what I'm in for.

I inhale a whiff and am in another place. Sweet and strong, this smells like something to be reckoned with. But that's just the start.

The taste... Oh, the taste. The malty sweetness cuts the hop oils, and both linger on the palette, warming the body and bringing a smile to the soul.

You can't drink it all night, but for the time the bottle lasts, it's heaven (or hell) in a glass. Double bastard is everything arrogant bastard wishes it could be. (611 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip.
Appearance is murky amber/brown.
Aroma is sweet, fruity, raisiny. Interesting
Soft mouthfeel leads to a smooth, complex maltiness followed by a nice kick from the juicy, citrusy hops. Very well balanced. Alcohol is evident, but not excessive. I would never guess 10%.
Excellent strong ale. Will definitely buy more (351 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

2008 release. 22oz poured into a pint glass

Pours a cherry brown with an off-white fluffy head. Smells of pineapple, citrusy hops with a biscuity maltly smell. The malts taste are the first thing to jump out. Biscuits and caramel. Hops are secondary as a dark fruit, shmuckers jam kick. Mouth feel is fairly light with light carbonation. It's very drinkable as a 10.5% beer. The intense malts might become a little overwhelming if I had too many of these.

Overall, I'm glad I tried this beer. Not the best beer in the world, but a solid beer nonetheless. (556 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Opaque, or very nearly so. Poured a dark ruby-red brown into a tulip glass. Decent head retention and lacing.

Smell: Hops; very piney and aggressive.

Taste: Wonderfully hoppy with notes of smoky wood and caramel. The alcohol has a nice warming effect, and the flavors become more complex as it warms to room temperature.

Mouthfeel: When cold, at first, the carbonation gives it a nice tingly feeling. It becomes more syrupy and chewy as it warms up.

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable for a 10% American Strong Ale. The flavors are more pronounced when it gets warmer, but it goes down a bit easier when colder. Nevertheless, the effort is worth it, as this is an exceptional brew. (700 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

What a beer! You don't have to be a double bastard to try this beer, but you do have to be a double hop and malt head. This beer had me at "smell" hello... what great head retention and aroma! Super powerful @ 11%, but after two drinks it flows like Niagra Falls. There are so many flavors, smells, aromas going on that it is a circus of sensations. Can't believe I waited so long to try it... I'm hooked! (405 characters)

Over the top awesome beer. Little dark caramel color with a nice beige head. Smells sweet with a slight malty note. The taste is perfect, sweet caramel with the not to over powering hop taste. Great beer.

You can taste and feel the high abv but it's a great part of it. Will buy again and again. (296 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is a bit better than okay. It looks good in the glass, and the bottling will have you thinking it's either incredible, or you're worthless if you find it otherwise. I'm confident enough to call it like I taste it. It's okay, but there are many better options, especially at this price point...IMO. Strong flavors aren't enough to be great. Try one to see if you disagree... (383 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

22 OZ. of 2002 double bastard.

simply bliss. wow.

the appearance is brilliant. bright, clear ruby red color. thick, full, off white head that sticks to the sides of the glass.

the aroma is heavy with malt, carmel, and alcohol, slight earthy and citrus scent.

taste... AHHHHH. so complex. from the first sip, i was in love. it was well balanced, full bodied and coated my mouth and trout with yummy goodness. for being such a large beer ( 10% ABV) it is hard to imagine that thie baby could be so smooth in mouthfeel. full of syrupy/chocolate malt. alcohol and perfect flavor hops. pretty earthy and little bit of a piney taste. i cant quite pick out the exact citrus, since i dont eat many citric foods, but it is kinda deep, and low.

the finish.. DRY, malt and alcohol. this beer is so warming its like a a hundred degree day with no air conditioning. it warms with every sip. watch out because this will creep up on you.
simply amazing. (959 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

2008 Vintage 22 oz bottle poured into a St Bernardus tulip

Poured a hazy Mahogany color, just a beautiful beer with 2 fingers head. Great retention with plenty of lacing in the glass.

Nose of piney hops and caramel malts.

Taste was an explosion of hops and malty sticky sweetness, every sip better than the one before it. A very complex beer to wrap your tongue around. Mouthfeel was on the heavy side due to the stickiness but rather enjoyable.

Overall, one of the best beers I've ever enjoyed. Can feel this one after only one 22 oz bottle due to the conent, but I wanted much more. Very dangerous beer. (609 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

2014 bottling. Poured from a bomber into a nonic pint. This ale is a clear mahogany color and is capped by a lingering 1-finger tan head, supported steady carbonation. Lacing is heavy all the way down the glass

Aroma is malty with toffee-like notes, ripe fruits, alcohol, and woody, pine-y hops. Surprisingly, this doesn't seem as intense on the nose as the standard Arrogant Bastard Ale.

Flavors are intense, to say the least. Big malts up front... brown sugar, caramel, toasted nuts, and raisins. A good bit of hop presence follows, but I certainly wouldn't say this beer is in any way over-hopped, there's so much going on here that the bitterness serves as a perfect counterpoint to everything else. The finish is long and hop-y, but very pleasant.

The mouthfeel is rich, slightly oily like a good booze, but this is a surprisingly strongly carbonated ale, so it's not as thick as one might expect. It's far easier to drink (quickly) than a lot of strong-style ales. The alcohol warms both in the mouth and on the way down, very much like Barleywine.

The "Double Bastard" name might have one expecting an even more challenging version of the classic Arrogant Bastard Ale, but this was quite the opposite for me... This has many of the same qualities that make AB so great, but presented in a more 'refined' way. Mind you, this is still a HUGE ale, not for the faint of heart, but it's not as brashly aggressive as it's sibling. A remarkable example of craft brewing, and something every ale connoisseur should try. (1,531 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8%

Appeared a deep copper color with extra long lasting lacing and head. Initially smelled of orange peel and pineapple but these scents faded in proportion to the amount that I drank. Taste was excellent with the right balance of hops and malts. As the beer warmed, the hops became secondary and a bock-like malt flavor emerged. Mouthfeel was nice with a sweet taste in the front which was quickly followed by a bitter hop finish. Easily drinkable, but not as available from my local purveyors as I would like. I'll drink it when I can find this sturdy offering from Stone Brewing Co. (582 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Whoa! This one's a monster! Nice dark red/copper color with a beige head that leaves some sticky lacing in the glass.

Smell is incredibly complex, sweet caramel, toffee, american hops, and some fruity esters from the yeast (strawberry?)

Taste is very big and sweet followed by a bitter sting from the hops. I'm thinking chinook for the bittering for sure. The malts are HUGE in this beer with a very caramel/toffee like flavor. Heavy mouthfeel due to all the residual sugars leaving a candy like flavor in the mouth.

I had a nice buzz going after one bomber and that'll be it for the night! (593 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Dark amber, big chunky white head fairly cloudy.
S - Malty sweet with a bit of hops and estery alcohols.
T - Very sweet almost to the point of being syrupy and the alcohol is noticeable. There's definitely some hops there as well, but they're a bit masked by the amount of malt.
M - Mouthfeel is heavy, somewhat viscous almost verging on feeling like a syrup. This beer lingers in your mouth a bit after you swallow.
D - Big beer all around, too big to drink a lot of it. The sweetness was too heavy for me to really enjoy more than one.

This beer reminds me a lot of homebrew barley wines I've had. It's big, alcoholic and in your face. It's has a bit of a raw quality about it. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I'll be making this one a staple. (750 characters)

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.