Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,041 | Hads: 6,356
4.46/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

poured into a duvel tulip. had about a finger and a half of head that dissipated fairly quickly. brownish red color.smelled of sweet bready maltiness followed by a ton of piney, citrusy hops. also a tiny bit of grapefruit and slight alcohol.tastes fairly bitter up front followed by sweet bready maltiness with the piney citrusy hops following right behind. sweet then bitter finsh with a good heavy mouthfeel. one of the best strong ales out there and would and have it again (476 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

this sample came from a 22oz bottle. for the first time around with this guy i chose to drink from the bottle as i was unsure how to present it.

stone has wonderful bottles on their 'bastard' products. this bottle differs slightly from the Arrogant Bastard bottle but is still entertaining. "Warning: Double Bastard Ale is not to be wasted on the tentative or weak. Only the Worthy are invited, and then only at your own risk. If you have even a modicum of hesitation, DO NOT buy this bottle. Instead, leave it for a Worthy soul who has already matriculated to the sublime ecstasy of what those in the know refer to as 'Liquid Arrogance'." sounds about right.

smells heavy of deep citrus. grapefruit, pineapple, some slight fig or date and hops round out the nose. smells lovely! reminds me of those dark chocolate and orange candies you find around the holidays.

flavor profile is massive. lots of burning dry hops with a heavy helping of that lovely grapefruit we noticed earlier. sweet syrupy alchohol in the finish with a bittersweet maltiness inbetween. slight dryness in the end that lingers in the mouth tempting your next sip.

feels somewhat dense in the mouth. not excessively heavy but has a slight chewiness to it. kinda like a slightly thin new england clam chowder.

extremely drinkable with it bouquet of citrus and hops that matches perfectly with that bready malty body. finishes cleanly. you would NEVER in your life guess this beer was 10% from tasting it. extremely well done.

huge ovation for stone. they put together a masterpiece with this beer. every aspect of the flavor is well defined yet at the same time merges perfectly into the next flavor. this is a must have for anyone especially if you like regular ABA. with a few months to a year in the cellar i could see this beer being pretty much perfect. i'm a huge fan of ABA though so i might be a slight bit bias. (1,909 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

2007 Release!
#13 that I bought; a case full in the cellar and 1 to be enjoyed! I have always thought that Double Bastard has been easier to drink than Arrogant Bastard. Mainly because of the dominant maltiness that takes the edge off the abundant hops.
Shared this bottle with my neighbor, poured into imperial pint glass.
A - Murkey ruby red with a frothy beige head.
S - Sweet malt with a hint of brown sugar?
T - Sweet malt again. This year's edition doesn't seem as hoppy to me as in the past. Warm alcohol on the end with slight hop.
M - Cloyingly sweet, easy to drink. I guess you would't want to drink too many in a night, because I'm only half way though this bottle and have a buzz!
D - Actually, pleasant and easy to drink. Very seductive to the palate. At 10 ABV, just not too many!
This wonderful brew is #2 on my favorite list! I have a feeling that my case won't last too long!
Go get as much as you can! You can't go wrong! (941 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8%

2005 Vintage - Poured into a DFH Snifter

Shared this with one of my BA buddies this past weekend. I have always loved the Double Bastard and this did not let me down. It poured a hazy dark ruby orange with very little to no head. The smell was full of oily pine and citrus. Huge malts with phenols and sweet candied fruit. Taste was an ass kicking mouthful of sweet malt, creamy caramel and a finish full of pine and grapefruit. Mouthfeel was rich and creamy, sweet and almost cloying. Just the right amount of carbonation make this reasonably drinkable for the ABV. It definitely rears it strong head as it warms but the experience is so full and rich you could care less. The DB is an arrogant cocky brew that is not for the faint of heart. I however will continue to enjoy it for years to come! (800 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

2007 Release
Pouts a dark brown with a moderate head which fades fairly quickly. Not much in the way of lacing.
Nose is big, malty with caramel and raisins.

Taste is just huge. Well blended, boozy in a good way - think cognac. Definitely a sipper. Even though its a year old the hops are still discernable at the end. Full bodied and gets better as it warms up.

Drinkability is good but is limited by the 10% alcohol, which is noticeable.

I had the 2008 version of this a few days ago and can state that is beer is well served by the aging process. The 2007 tastes blended well with each other while the 2008 seemed like a lot of big tastes vying for attention. Buy a bunch of these each year and drink them when they are at least a year old.

On a strictly personal preference basis the regular bastard gets my vote over the double. (836 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

2009 release. Served appropriately in a "Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies!" Stone Brewing pint glass from an awesome looking brown bomber. Drank with dinner: lightly seasoned steak, mashed potatoes, garlic broccoli. This was definitely a "steak & potatoes" beer.

A - Hazy copper with a thick tan head. Nice retention, some lacing.

S - Srong and hoppy! Dark sweet fruit...definitely cherry.

T - Wow! This brew isn't playing around! Nice sweet and buttery toasted malt comes in at the first sip, but it doesn't take long for the heavy metallic hoppy flavor to kick in. There's such a strong piney flavor here...it almost resembles gin. After a few sips, you swear you're drinking a cocktail, not a beer. This stuff will kick you in the ass!

M/D - Fairly carbonated, and even though it's a tough drink, it's actually fairly drinkable for the style.

The style says it all...this is one strong ale. Be respectful with this one...it won't be long before that 10.5% abv kicks in. Stone never ceases to impress! (1,008 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

pour: got a nice cloudy dark brown color with hints of red. The head on this beer was a light tan color with tight foam.

smell: on this brew was a sweetness some from the malts and some from the fruit used in this brew. Similar to a barley wine.

taste: stone went crazy on this one. Beer hits the pallet and you get a taste of everything, some hops some sweet malts some brown sugar and some berries with a little fruity feel to it.

Overalll: This is such a great brew even with the 11.20% abv still a smooth brew to drink. Yea it will mess you up but its good stuff all the way down to the bottom of the glass. Cheers!!! (626 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%

2006 Vintage - Poured from 22oz bottle into perfect pint glass. My girlfriend drank some out of a snifter which I sniffed quite a bit.

I picked two bottles up at the grand opening of the Stone South Park, San Diego company store last week.

A: Deep copper/red color and slightly hazy. A finger and a half of creamy head stuck around for a few minutes and left nice lacing. Average carbonation on appearance. It looks very impressive: especially the deepness of color.

S: There is a strong malt aroma followed by hot alcohol. These dominate. I can also smell a bit of floral-pine-like scent mixed in. It is a full scent but not over powering. No hop smell to speak of.

T: Very malty flavor with an alcohol flavor on the end. This is what dominates. There seems to be a lot going on initially but it is quickly taken over by the alcohol. The aftertaste is long and is dominated by the malt and alcohol (like the initial smell and taste). Finished with a bit of caramel sweetness and alcohol.

M: medium mouthfeel (very malty) and carbonated quite well.

O: This is my first taste of Double Bastard. It is not distributed to Asia where I have spent the past several years and I failed to pick any up while it was still available around Christmas time this year. I look forward to trying the fresh version and other vintages and varieties (since I am so close to Stone now!), so I can make a better comparison. I have one more bottle of the 06’ vintage left. I will save it. I don’t think it will age any better though, and I suspect that this vintage is well on the other side of its peak. Despite the this, I greatly enjoyed the beer, and my girlfriend had no complaints.

If you can't tell from the review, the alcohol kind of dominated this one. (1,754 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Nice red color, cloudy. Fruity nose. Taste of fruit mixed with a little caramel. Big long finish a little too much alcohol present but not overwhelming. Very clean feel in my mouth. The alcohol warmed my belly and numbed my senses. I enjoyed this ale but one was all I needed. (276 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Bought as a graduation gift for me, the time I drank from the Double-Magnum was among my better memories. More recent enjoyment here at home has been just as delicious, if not the same joy for what beer always represented since the dawn of time - a chance to enjoy times with companions.

A - Semi-dark. Not as black as an Irish stout, but still, like a fresh coffee. Reddish, with a thick head.

S - Like burnt carmel with toasted nuts.

T - Starts sweet, or at least feels that way because the after-taste comes on strong. Very bitter after-taste. Lives up to it's name; very arrogant. Moderate finish, alcohol is barely noticable in both taste and feel. It's strong in flavor, but not of alcohol in taste.

M - Arrogant, for lack of a better term. Despite the head, it's not very effervescent in the mouth.

D - A bit to harsh to be a daily enjoyed beer, it's nothing I would turn down.

The Double Magnum needs to be enjoyed at a party or at least with a whole lot of friends who respect "strong" beer. (1,006 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +15%

First, let me state straight off the bat that I am new to this whole "beer aficionado" thing -- I don't have the vocabulary, the knowledge of such things as phenols and such. That said, I opened this beer and was struck by how assertive it smelled. Double Bastard, indeed. It is a doubly arrogant bastard -- with reason.

With reason, my friends. This brew makes no attempt, like many sneaky Belgians (which I must proclaim I love right now), to mask alcohol flavors -- this is up-front, right out there, proclaiming its strength. It is strong malt, strong hops, strong everywhere and every way. It is in every sense a strong ale. It is an arrogant bastard, doubly so.

As it warms, it only intensifies and improves. This is a beer for which angels weep. It will put you on your ass if you aren't careful. Very drinkable, for all its high abv, but if you decide to session it, you may well wind up on youtube, under the heading 'drunkest guy ever'. You've been warned. (968 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Pours a murky reddish amber color with minimal cream colored head.

S- Sweet, malty, fruity, pineapple, faint pine.

T- Well balanced sweet malt with hop bitterness, brown sugar, alcohol doesn't show itself at least not like 10.5 ABV.

M- Medium-heavy body, lightly syrupy, medium carbonation.

D- Complex enough to stay interesting, but watch out for the sneaky ABV. (370 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

2011 Bottle

A- Deep amber/garnet color. Looks kind of like an American Barleywine. Thick off-white head. Sticks to the glass a bit.

S- Tropical fruits. Mango, pineapple. Very sweet smell. Some citrus hops.

T- Again with the fruits but more on the citrus hop spectrum. Bready malts. Finish lingers a bit with more hop bitterness. Makes my mouth water a bit. 10.5% is masked well by the massive amount of hops.

M- Medium carbonation, pretty well-built body. Alcohol hidden well.

O- This is quite a demanding beer, with flavors coming from all over the hop and malt ends. I'd like to compare it to my 2010 bottle to see if the hop character has faded at all. (660 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Served out of a bottle into a chalice glass (my wife just broke my nice tulip glass!)

A: A nice rich amber brown with a merky fill and a subtle froth head. Mild lacing.

S: Nice and sweet with noticable alcohol undertones.

T: Its about time I get to taste this...very nice! Malty and nutty front with lingering finish and a snap of bitterness in the end.

M: Velvety on the tounge. sharp carbination.

O: This one is nice! Great color and aroma, just the right amount of nutty/sweet flavors and a great (although bitter) finish. Alcohol content very sneaky... (561 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

I rarely buy beers from Stone because the labels are printed on the bottles and I'd rather have labels that I can remove for my homebrews... Having said that, I poured the 22 oz bomber into a pint glass topping it off as I sipped it. Very minimal head that had a greenish tint do it, the body was a hazy, deep mahogany.

The aroma is not nearly as hoppy as I expected, I mainly get malty sweetness, with hints of raisin and caramel.

Again not as hoppy as expected, it was the 2009 release, maybe a few months were enough that the hops mellowed out a bit. But it could just be my tongue, after so many unbalanced DIPAs with 100+ IBUs that when you do have something well balanced, it strikes one as not quite that bitter. But either way, this is a big flavorful, well balanced American strong ale. When it first hits you, its very malty, and as with the aroma, hints of raisin; then the hops show up as a citrusy/ piney force to be reckon with; and the aftertaste has a molasses- caramel, but kept in check by the hops. Well balanced with complex layers of flavor.

Feels under carbonated and has a heavy, syrupy texture that I'm not crazy about.

Again, well balanced, but heavy, and at 10.5% served out of a 22 oz bottle this will be nursed for at least an hour, a very pleasant hour.

A good beer, but I enjoy the regular Arrogant Bastard and the oaked version over the double. It's a well balanced, big, and a distinctly West Coast beer, but just misses the mark for me. (1,477 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Wow what can I say except arrogant bastard but twice the flavor and less the bitterness.
This beer is what beer should be anything that may be considered a negative in this beer is a high abv. That lowers the drinkability just slightly. I suggest this beer to any stone fan. (275 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Double Bastard Ale 2011

served into mug

a. A dark ruby red color, and clean but barely opaque. A finger head with a bit of retention. a light bit of foam around the rim with a little bit of soapy buildup towards the middle.

s. A cherry flavor then meets with malts and a bit of a buttery diacetyl. Aroma is pretty tame.

t. A bright toffee flavor, then tame by a bit of malts, and then a bit of an alcohol burn. A fruity toffee flavor like some type of berry someone could be cranberry or something.

m. Very creamy, on the milder end of carbonation. Kind of oily and the warming alcohol lingers around your mouth. You can definitely feel the alcohol warming all the way down into your belly!

o. A nice sipping beer. I really don't know what to say here. I haven't had regular arrogant bastard in a while, and only had one other beer of this style. If ya dig American strong ales you're gonna have a good time if you drink this! (932 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

22 ounces of Double Bastard Ale at 10.5% alcohol.

This stuff pours a full, cloudy copper beverage, with a decent head, and some notable lacing. It has a nice blended scent of malts and hops with few other excesses. Its initial flavor is subtle; like so many of the excellent Stone brews, it is full and satisfying, but not insistent. It is straight beer, which I like, not chocolate or sweet, but mostly hopped up with a malty balance – a fair and decent ale. God, it’s good. (480 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

For my first ever beer review I thought I'd do one I'd been waiting some time to try. Having been a fan of Arrogant Bastard for a little over a year, I've been really anxious to try this one.

A: Pours a dark, dark, dark amber. About a two finger light tan head that retains beautifully.

S: Yeah! I can smell the hops a mile away (I am kind of a hophead so this is a good thing).

T: Tastes alot like it's name would suggest- like original arrogant bastard with double the arrogance. Powerful.

M: Heavy. About all I can say.

D: I split a 22 oz. with a friend of mine. I probably could have had the whole bottle, but at 10% I wouldn't have wanted much more than that (the salesclerk told me it seemed stonger than last year). However, if I could have drank it all night, I would have been more than happy to do so.

The jury is still out on whether or not I'd rank this above original Arrogant Bastard, but it was definitely worth the wait.

Side note: even if this beer had sucked, the writing on the bottle alone would have been worth the six bucks. (1,068 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

absolutely mammoth beer. noticably more alcohol than the arrogant bastard, but the depth and complexity was mindboggling. every sip was chock full of character. roasted, dark chocolate notes, a little bit of dried fruit notes. a lot of stuff going on, but it was a unified arrogant beast all the same. god i love this beer. another expertly crafted brew from Stone. (365 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: sweet raisins, candied caramel, burnt sugar and assertive hops. Appearance: deep ruby/amber with little foam. Taste: very noticeable bitter hop overtones, juicy plum, pineapple, caramelized sugar, mango, prunes and tart grapes. Overall: very complex, alcohol is very well masked but well felt. Very interesting hoppy yet malty overtones. Balanced and impressive. (369 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

(Originally Reviewed 03/18/2010)

'Church Brew Works' pint glass

Appearance - deep amber, dirty carrot color. Want to say iron ore but it's too dark for that. Little to no head in the pour. What's left is tannish, apparently. Actually, from swirling the glass, a foam head has appeared that kinda reminds me of an orange rind in color - if that makes sense.

Smell - malts and hops in the immediate aroma. Swirling the glass I am picking up some grains. Sensing some grapefruit.

Taste - hops straight down the middle, a warm syrup beween the tongue and walls of my mouth. The hoppiness is exactly what you expect of stone. Finish/aftertase is bitter and dry.

Drinkability - good hops, nice aroma, medium to full body. Was expecting a little more but I'm having trouble finding it. I wasn't really blown away with the Double Bastard as opposed to the standard Arrogant Bastard (878 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8%

A: Beautiful, rich head, thick lacing all the way down. A wonderful, reddish-brown brew.

S: Hops and burnt wood dominate this beer. It smells a bit of alcohol as well.

T: A masterpiece. Very hoppy with a lot of alcohol taste, with traces f burnt wood mingling. Light carbonation. Aftertaste of bitter earthy tones.

M: Thick and sticky. It has the substance required for a beer of this style.

D: Very good beer, but it may make you sick if you drink too much of it (or drunk too quickly; it packs a punch.) (509 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Chocolate brown, mahogany, bronze (to light) with a full brown head, sediment floaters, good carbonation, and little lace. Nice balanced malt and hop aroma; chocolate malt notes and piney hop aroma. Tastes much like it smells with an overly bitter finish; not pleasantly hoppy. Full bodied and creamy with a harsh bitter finish. (328 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer is intense, it almost knocked me to my feet. Pours a very dark brownish, orange color, a true dark amber color. The smell is subdued, giving only a slight idea of what is to come. The first sip is glorious, strong, very strong, but sweet at the same time, not as bitter as you would think a 10%beer would be. This stuff is dangerous, it is insanely drinkable for the alcohol content. I am definitely grabbing some of this again. (438 characters)

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.